PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Headphones

Emid
November 19th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hey, first post here.

I wear headphones for a high percentage of the day (like this http://www.f3d.com/images/pieces/1552/img_5204_fatal1ty.jpg) and I've noticed that the hair under where the headphones sit on the sides of my hair is really dry & frizzy. Might be a dumb question, but do you think the headphones are the cause of this? If so should I tuck my hair behind the headphones when using them?

seaj
November 19th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Welcome!

I can't see the picture you linked to, but there is a possibility that your headphones aren't causing any damage at all. I think that most people, myself included, have hair that is naturally weaker, thinner, and different in texture in certain areas, usually around the hairline.

In my case, the hair at my temples, the area in front of my ears (sideburns), and the hair at the base of my neck is not as coarse, strong, or as long as the hair on the rest of my head. It is also slightly lighter in color, and much curlier in texture. I'd even consider it frizzy at times, especially right after washing my hair. I have to pay extra attention to those areas when I detangle my hair because the are much weaker and tend to tangle more readily. Ponytails also put extra stress on these areas which can cause damage.

I wear over-the-ear headphones a lot, but I don't think I have noticed any damage from it. I always tuck my hair behind my ears first, and sometimes I'll even wear a bandanna or silk scarf over my ears to contain my hair and keep it out of the way. My hair gets caught in the headphones sometimes. It is possible to get damage though. Some materials do dry out hair and wearing headphones for prolonged periods of time can put extra friction and tension on the hair under the headphones.

I hope that all made sense.

boomtownrat
November 19th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Hi, welcome to the LHC! :)

There could be some friction happening. I wear can-style headphones at work and usually I gently pull my hair out of the way as I put them on my ears.

coffinhert
November 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I wear skullcandy skullcrushers (modeled here (http://www.mflforhim.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Snoop-Crushers.jpg) by snoop dogg) and they barely touch my head, I like them for that but the bend at the top of the headphones sometimes catches my hair when I have them loose around my neck.

Emid
November 19th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks ;)

"In my case, the hair at my temples, the area in front of my ears (sideburns), and the hair at the base of my neck is not as coarse, strong, or as long as the hair on the rest of my head. It is also slightly lighter in color, and much curlier in texture. I'd even consider it frizzy at times, especially right after washing my hair. I have to pay extra attention to those areas when I detangle my hair because the are much weaker and tend to tangle more readily. Ponytails also put extra stress on these areas which can cause damage."
Yes, that's the exact same with me. I think it looks retarded and really pisses me off haha. What do you mean you pay extra attention when you detangle it?

seaj
November 19th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks ;)
Yes, that's the exact same with me. I think it looks retarded and really pisses me off haha. What do you mean you pay extra attention when you detangle it?

When I detangle those areas I have to make sure that I take my time. I usually have to use my fingers first before I get out my brush. If I try to use a brush first, I sometimes end up breaking a few hairs.