PDA

View Full Version : Split ends & Frizz

Olyve
November 19th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I have managed to get my hair back to healthy hair; it shines, it is manageable, it is moisturized, I do a protein treatment once a month. I have got rid of cones, cut back on washing, cut back on heat. I usually wash every other day, on wash day I wear my hair down, day two I wear it up as it is oily.
I have done shampoo bars for 2 months, they dry my hair out and make it like hay. I have done c/o for 3 months and my hair gets too oily. I have oiled, not oiled. Used aloe. I have tried sulfate free and my hair feels like straw and is unmanageable. I went back to traditional shampoo and cone-free condish with a ACV rinse.

I have cut and then trimmed the split ends but I get them back within 3-4 weeks! Then there is the frizz..I have tried everything to control it and it just will not go away.

What am I missing? How can I keep the split ends away and control my frizz?

kdaniels8811
November 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Read up on catnip tea soaks after shampoo. That saved my hair which is fine and prone to split and break.

ktani
November 19th, 2011, 04:43 PM
That is one way and read up on today's 3 no less, "I have frizz, help! threads on the first two pages of this board.

Cones are not the enemy you think they are for hair. They can help prevent frizz and there are more options still.

ETA: Actually they are all currentky on page 2and one just moved back to this page, lol.

jacqueline101
November 19th, 2011, 05:00 PM
You could try argan oil. It worked on my once permed hair.

coffinhert
November 19th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I use a boar bristle brush to brush coconut oil into the ends of my hair, every time I wash it I brush the oil into the ends while it is still wet. So it is never without the protective coconut oil coat.

Another thing that helps me is sleeping on a slippery silk pillowcase, and sleeping with my hair up. It seems counter-intuitive but I put my hair in pin curls some nights, and I notice that after these wash days I have much less L-bent ends and split ends, compared to if I just sleep with my hair loose. I think because the ends are tucked in, so not getting friction as I roll around in my sleep.

jaine
November 19th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I have managed to get my hair back to healthy hair; it shines, it is manageable, it is moisturized, I do a protein treatment once a month. I have got rid of cones, cut back on washing, cut back on heat. I usually wash every other day, on wash day I wear my hair down, day two I wear it up as it is oily.
I have done shampoo bars for 2 months, they dry my hair out and make it like hay. I have done c/o for 3 months and my hair gets too oily. I have oiled, not oiled. Used aloe. I have tried sulfate free and my hair feels like straw and is unmanageable. I went back to traditional shampoo and cone-free condish with a ACV rinse.

I have cut and then trimmed the split ends but I get them back within 3-4 weeks! Then there is the frizz..I have tried everything to control it and it just will not go away.

What am I missing? How can I keep the split ends away and control my frizz?

OK you and I have pretty much the exact same hair type and the same issue.

I have 2 strategies that help me minimize frizz:

1. Starting with wet hair, I can dry it in a fixed position with no touching or rubbing, no changes to the hair's position AT ALL while it dries. Basically a "wet set." That could be one of several different configurations ... drying in a bun, drying in rollers, drying in a braid, or putting gel in it when it's soaking wet and drying it loose with the big clumps intact (curly girl method). If I let my hair get 100% dry before I touch it, then there is minimal frizz or no frizz when I take it down.

2. If I'm starting with dry hair then I can use caruso steam rollers to make it look smooth and frizz-free. This helps a lot if only the front of my hair was able to dry completely in a bun. I can dry the rest with a hair dryer (which leaves it frizzy and puffy but at least it's dry) and then I use the caruso rollers to make it look nice.

If it's not humid then I can choose anything from the list above and it seems to work fine.

If it's humid I have to go with "curly girl method," (drying it loose with gel) because humidity will make my hair want to go back to its default wave pattern ... I might as well just dry it in the default wave pattern to begin with so I won't be working against what my hair wants to do.

Olyve
November 20th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Thanks everyone!
I will try what has been suggested and see what happens.

I do sleep with my hair pulled back and/or a satin pillow case.

julliams
November 21st, 2011, 04:08 AM
Have you clarified recently? I don't use cones ordinarily but I find my hair benefits from a good 'ol clarify once a week or fortnight.

Anje
November 21st, 2011, 08:53 AM
Honestly, I'd guess that either your scissors are dull or it's the wearing your hair down half the time part that makes your hair more likely to split. If you protect your ends more, they'll stay happier.

Also, pay close attention to how you comb/brush/detangle/etc. your hair. If you're forcing the comb/brush through tangles, you're much more likely to get splits. For me, this means I needed to learn to slow down the speed that I moved my brush/comb through my hair.

jojo
November 21st, 2011, 02:32 PM
^^ I was going to say blunt scissors too, though really the only way to get rid of splits is to cut them off! and id never advocate brushing hair with BBB or any other type of brush while wet. Fingers are the best tool for putting coconut oil in, which will help prevent the hair from future splits but cutting them off is the only way to get rid of them.

Once you have got rid of them, then look at preventative methods, catnip, oil, handling etc to try and stop them occurring again, but some hair my own included is just more likely to split, despite how kind you are to it.

melusine963
February 10th, 2012, 02:35 PM
My hair is horribly frizzy, and the only thing that's helped me is using coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner. It makes detangling much easier and my hair is less puffy. It's still far too unruly to leave loose, but it's the tamest I've ever managed to get it.

lunalocks
February 11th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Here is my 2 cents, and we have similar hair.

washing - cwc, (just a little shampoo and only lather my scalp), gentle towel blot, detangler (MOP Pear) on hair ears and down, and combing. Then I use a spray "smoother" on the ends, (either L'anza Healing moisture or Purology COLORmax).

I also use John Master's lavender spray on my crown as my hair is a little thinner there, (it has helped!) and John Master's salt spray on my bangs and head, to give more volume (the hair there is a little limp).

Finger comb til dry.

I Thoroughly s and d twice a month. I am finding sinc I CWC the splits have decreased. Other changes I have made in the past few months, that have contributed to better ends are dampening the ends (well, maybe tha last 6 inches) with water at night, than slather on Desert Essence organic red raspberryconditioner, combing it through and bunning for the night, holding in place with spin pins. I do this about twice a week. If I do a seashell bun on the top of my head, I have lovely waves in the morning.

I do not have a BB brush. I only brush my hair right before washing, after combing , and I use a wood tooth brush. I love it.

My splits are under control. It's been 3 months since a trim and my hemline is pretty good. All of the above has helped me control splits, extend trims and keep a decent hemline.

Good luck!