PDA

View Full Version : Undercuts!!!!!

akilina
November 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I know some of you are probably horrified of this idea, but please, be nice!!
Who else has an undercut? I want to see it :)
I personally love em. Ive had mine for about a year and a half and havent been able to give it up yet. I love shaving in cool designs too.
Who is trying to grow it out and hows it going?

uptosomeone
November 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I would get one if I had stronger cheekbones. My friend is growing out her bangs to get an undercut though and I'm so excited to see it!

So basically, I love them. :D

akilina
November 19th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Cool :) i love mine but i hate that my hair has such a thin look on the right side! thats why im sorta considering growing it out.
I used to have a smaller undercut but i shaved it into the shape of a 7 if that makes sense and when i did that it took out too much of my face framing so thats good shes growing out first

ktani
November 19th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I know some of you are probably horrified of this idea, but please, be nice!!
Who else has an undercut? I want to see it :)
I personally love em. Ive had mine for about a year and a half and havent been able to give it up yet. I love shaving in cool designs too.
Who is trying to grow it out and hows it going?

I do not believe anyone is horrified by the cut itself, only the connection made to it and Hitler Youth, be that valid or not.

joflakes
November 19th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Not horrified, just don't get why people do it unless they have SUPER thick hair. I had a friend once who had waist length really thick hair and she had an undercut but you would never have been able to tell when she put her hair down.
On me? No thanks.

akilina
November 19th, 2011, 02:22 PM
edited post sorry didnt mean to post twice

Toadstool
November 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I have a side undercut. I love it. My hair is way too thick normally, plus I like the edgy look. I'd love to have patterns shaved into it, but don't know where to go.

ktani
November 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Correction: One of my nephews - My nephew had a version of one years ago, completely shaved underneath, long hair on top. When his hair was down, it just looked long. I never got the thick hair genes in the family, lol.

PrincessBob
November 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM
My mom gave me an undercut throughout junior high, because my hair IS super thick. I think it was okay, but I like the warmth of a full head of hair.

Growing it out was, as i recall an interesting situation, but I think I wore a lot of bandannas, so nobody else really noticed.

jojo
November 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I quite like undercuts, a few of my daughters friends have them and I think they look quite edgy. I don't id get on myself but I do like them, however they would be a pain to grow out.

blondie9912
November 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I have an unintentional undercut :grin:
My canopy area got ridiculously dried out this summer after dying it repeatedly, to the point where it was SO frazzled that pieces would break off when I ran my hands through it. I decide to cut my losses (I've gotten over it, note the hair pun :)) and shaved a section right at my hairline on one side, about 3x1.5 inches wide (like a rectangular shape)

It's only on one side because that's where the damage was the worst, so if I need to I can part my hair on the opposite side to disguise it when I really need to dress up. This will be quite an adventure to drow out! At the moment it's just over an inch long

Copasetic
November 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I love undercuts, but I`m not personally cool enough to pull one off. Funny that I found this thread because I went to this bar last night that I almost never go to, and so many of the girls there had undercuts. I was so jealous!

akilina
November 19th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Wow, I never really thought of having one if your hair was too thick...not sure why. my hair is not thick at all though so that could be a reason i never thought of it.
I like it more for looks and i really like how it looks on myself.
I thought it was funny how many girls shaved parts of their head in my beauty college after my friend and I did it. :P it worked out perfectly...wed always shave each others heads and do really cool designs. Id get sad if she had someone else shave her head. </3
one of my favorites is having steps where its lines shaved into it every 1/2 inch or less.

Mesmerise
November 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I do not believe anyone is horrified by the cut itself, only the connection made to it and Hitler Youth, be that valid or not.

Really? I didn't know there was some sort of connection between undercuts and the Hitler Youth! Did they have undercuts or something in those days? (Scuse my ignorance :o:o)

And back on the subject, I had an undercut once... basically cause my hair underneath is curlier and looks weird, so I thought an undercut would fix this. Well, I just don't have enough hair to really rock it :rolleyes:.

My DD has an undercut cause she has very thick hair she can't brush it herself (even when it's in a chin length bob). I think she needs to learn how to brush and care for her own hair, but I do appreciate that it's harder for her than it is for me, because my hair never really gets all that tangly even when it's fairly long.

I think if I had really thick hair I may wear an undercut. It's sort of a way of satisfying any "short hair urges" I may get, which could stop me doing something stupid like cutting all my hair off (which is why I never ever have achieved super long hair, despite spending 99% of my life wanting it - and the other 1% wanting short hair, which lasts as long as it takes to get my hair cut short).

My DD also had a K shaved into her undercut and my husband suggested she get her basketball number shaved in too... which would have been kinda funny because it would have read "K8" and umm... her name's KATE :D. However, I didn't think of that until too late!

Juneii
November 19th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I think it can look rather cute but it's just not my type of thing. I am in the same boat as Copasetic, I'm just not cool enough to pull it off! Not to mention my family would flip out if I do anything "edgy". I mean, they already call me "wild" for having my cartilage pierced and wearing a connecting chain from it to my lobe. And having slightly stretched earlobes. Nope, I am not cool enough to do anything as drastic as that yet :)

SomethingCooler
November 19th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I've never even heard of these before this thread, but I just googled it and they look awesome! If only I had the confidence to pull one off...

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 19th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I plan on getting a side undercut when I hit my goal length. :)

ibleedlipstick
November 19th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I would love to get one, but I get bored with my hair way to quickly, and the grow out process would be terrible. I have mega hair, and I would look so poofy with three inches of undercut growth popping out.

boomtownrat
November 19th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I don't have one now, but I've had one on several occasions and I pulled it off with panache, if I do say so myself. ;) My first undercut was... well, I was about 15 or 16 and you can see my age under my avatar. :D If I can find any pictures, I'll put them in one of my albums and link to it here. The last time I did it, my hair was shoulder length and I shaved it completely to the skin about halfway up the back of my head, leaving the sides alone. It was dyed dark red or burgundy the last two times I did it. I've thought about doing it again at some point; I've never seen anyone with a silver undercut, at least not naturally silver. My hesitation is that if I get tired of it, the grow-out will be slow and tedious. If I ever do it again, I won't shave it to the skin and I'll only do it in the back.

For me, there was absolutely no sociopolitical or ethical aspect to it. I just thought it looked cool and cut down on the triangle-head problem that my thick-ish hair has at shoulder length.

DakarNick
November 19th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Pennyroyal has both sides undercut. Maybe she'll post about it.

CurlyCap
November 19th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I had one undercut in junior high. I loved it because at the time I didn't know how to take care of my curls. The undercut instantly devolumized while letting me keep the appearances of long hair.

Growing it out was a pain though. Mostly because when the hair started coming in, it made a sort of shelf that the longer hair fell off of. I was terribly self-conscious about it until I could even it out years later.

A cousin of mine has stripes shaved through out her hair, but you can't see a thing unless she parts it to show you. She has ridiculously thick hair (probably 6-7", not even kidding), and so she loves it.

missdelarocha
November 20th, 2011, 01:30 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8933&pictureid=119412

Here y'are!

P.S, This was a photo for a competition... Hence the photoshoppedness, then again, I think I just like photoshopping haha.

honeydippedxo
November 20th, 2011, 01:36 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8933&pictureid=119412

Here y'are!

P.S, This was a photo for a competition... Hence the photoshoppedness, then again, I think I just like photoshopping haha.

DOOPE PICTUREEEE <3

AnimaSola3o4
November 20th, 2011, 02:04 AM
I had one for years, actually several times. It started in middle school as a way to thin my hair. Then I did it again a few years back because the hair on the nape of my neck was gnarly and tangled horribly. I regretted it, because of course a few months afterward I found LHC and then was embarrassed about growing out the undercut. It was from about ears down. And you couldn't tell when my hair was down, in fact, a lot of my photos in my photo album are with the undercut.

My hair is all one length now, except of course for layers on top. I want to actually get the thermal conditioning treatment or whatever that is, on the bottom sides of my nape hair, to see if it helps tame the tangles at all and make life easier for me. I would shave them again but I know I'd regret it. I haaaaaated wearing my hair up with the undercut, it looked ridiculous IMHO.

Another thing I'm considering, is just hitting that hair up with some thinning shears.

Couple of pics:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=573&pictureid=5949
This is a photo of my growing out of the shaved back section of hair.

More photos can be seen in my photo album. Everything but the first two rows of photos, are pics in which I have the undercut at various lengths. The first two rows are more recent where the undercut is gone, but my hair actually looks to be the same thickness-wise, mostly because my shedding was out of control for a while there.

Mesmerise
November 20th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I don't have one now, but I've had one on several occasions and I pulled it off with panache, if I do say so myself. ;) My first undercut was... well, I was about 15 or 16 and you can see my age under my avatar. :D If I can find any pictures, I'll put them in one of my albums and link to it here. The last time I did it, my hair was shoulder length and I shaved it completely to the skin about halfway up the back of my head, leaving the sides alone. It was dyed dark red or burgundy the last two times I did it. I've thought about doing it again at some point; I've never seen anyone with a silver undercut, at least not naturally silver. My hesitation is that if I get tired of it, the grow-out will be slow and tedious. If I ever do it again, I won't shave it to the skin and I'll only do it in the back.

For me, there was absolutely no sociopolitical or ethical aspect to it. I just thought it looked cool and cut down on the triangle-head problem that my thick-ish hair has at shoulder length.

Well yeah, the first undercuts I saw were on some older girls at my school, the year would have been about 1985! I thought it looked really cool (the first girl I saw it on was one I idolised cause she was just so darn pretty).

It's funny how fashions come and go :D.

missdelarocha
November 20th, 2011, 02:36 AM
DOOPE PICTUREEEE <3

:o Thank you! :flowers: