PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if your hair likes cones or not?

GabrielleRose
November 19th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hello all! I was just wondering how can you tell if your hair likes cones or not? I was cone free for months and had great shine, and now when I try cones my hair looks really dull. :( Also, cones detangle my hair like a dream but as soon as I get out my hair just clumps up together. What's going on with me?!?!

kittymallow
November 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
hmm that might sound like your hair does not like cones.. what products are you using now??

isabelx
November 19th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I used to need cones to make my hair feel soft and de-tangle easily, but after regular use they would build up and make my hair straw-like.

As difficult as it was I gave up cones and now I can make my hair feel great without them. I'd never go back to using them.

If you had good results without cones I wouldn't waste your time or money on coney products.

GabrielleRose
November 19th, 2011, 11:53 AM
hmm that might sound like your hair does not like cones.. what products are you using now??

I tried going back to Aussie Moist, because that used to make my hair look AWESOME, but again the same dulling result. Right now I am trying the Dove nutritive therapy and that one makes the hair clumpy and again dull.

aisha.christine
November 19th, 2011, 11:56 AM
If your hair is clumpy and dull, that usually means that your hair doesn't like cones. If it's after repeated use, it could be build up, and clarifying would potentially rectify the problem. When did you start using cones again?

GabrielleRose
November 19th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I used to need cones to make my hair feel soft and de-tangle easily, but after regular use they would build up and make my hair straw-like.

As difficult as it was I gave up cones and now I can make my hair feel great without them. I'd never go back to using them.

If you had good results without cones I wouldn't waste your time or money on coney products.

I will need to stay off cone products then, but I still haven't found a product that is cone free that I want to continue using. I also think I need to get off the sulfates cause my scalp has been itching like crazy! I tried a CV shampoo bar, but I have already experimented with them before and they were a fail. :(

Is there a thread or something for cone free products?

GabrielleRose
November 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM
If your hair is clumpy and dull, that usually means that your hair doesn't like cones. If it's after repeated use, it could be build up, and clarifying would potentially rectify the problem. When did you start using cones again?

It wasn't after repeated use, so my hair must really hate cones now.

isabelx
November 19th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I will need to stay off cone products then, but I still haven't found a product that is cone free that I want to continue using. I also think I need to get off the sulfates cause my scalp has been itching like crazy! I tried a CV shampoo bar, but I have already experimented with them before and they were a fail. :(

Is there a thread or something for cone free products?

It took me ages to find a good cone free product as well. I don't know where you're located but here in the UK my favourites have been: Garnier Fructis Hair Recovery conditioner, Faith in Nature Aloe Vera conditioner and Tesco Smooth Coconut conditioner. Here's a great thread: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=46580

Good luck!

GabrielleRose
November 19th, 2011, 12:06 PM
It took me ages to find a good cone free product as well. I don't know where you're located but here in the UK my favourites have been: Garnier Fructis Hair Recovery conditioner, Faith in Nature Aloe Vera conditioner and Tesco Smooth Coconut conditioner. Here's a great thread: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=46580

Good luck!

I am located in the US. Thank you so much for the link! I used to love the Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner and shampoo, but it seems they have changed the formula and it seems to make my hair color look pretty yucky!

isabelx
November 19th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I am located in the US. Thank you so much for the link! I used to love the Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner and shampoo, but it seems they have changed the formula and it seems to make my hair color look pretty yucky!

That's a shame, I'm sure you'll find a great product to replace it though. And you're welcome :)

celebriangel
November 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM
If you wander over to the CO thread you'll find loads of conefree conditioner recommendations.

If sulphates have been upsetting your hair, sulphate-free shampoos or CO are your popular options.

Amber_Maiden
November 19th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I know my hair likes cones because it makes my hair shiny... the opposite of what they do to your hair.

ktani
November 19th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I do not think it is the cones that are the problem unless they are the major ingredient(s) in the products, in which case that is overload.

Cones or silicone in general adds shine to hair.

ETA: I do not understand why silicone is so vilified.

A lot of people who now do not use them use lighter conditioners than before. That in itself means less wax and waxy build-up and with other ingredients like oil = shine too.

luxepiggy
November 19th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Not all buildup is caused by silicone. Silicone buildup results in hair that looks/feels greasy, oily and limp, even shortly after washing, and contrary to popular belief, is fairly easy to remove.

Buildup that causes dull, dry or tangle-prone hair and resists removal with conventional shampoo occurs as a result of complexes formed between anionic (negatively charged) surfactants and cationic (positively charged) conditioning ingredients. Because cationic ingredients are often used conjunction with silicone to boost silicone deposition, many people incorrectly attribute removal-resistant buildup to silicones.

GabrielleRose
November 20th, 2011, 01:44 PM
If you wander over to the CO thread you'll find loads of conefree conditioner recommendations.

If sulphates have been upsetting your hair, sulphate-free shampoos or CO are your popular options.

I will have to check out that link, do they also list some conefree conditioners with protein?

I know my hair likes cones because it makes my hair shiny... the opposite of what they do to your hair.

I'm glad cones work for you, I actually tried some Paul Mitchell moisture S&C which both have cones I believe and my hair came out shiny, but my hair keeps tangling up. :(

I do not think it is the cones that are the problem unless they are the major ingredient(s) in the products, in which case that is overload.

Cones or silicone in general adds shine to hair.

ETA: I do not understand why silicone is so vilified.

A lot of people who now do not use them use lighter conditioners than before. That in itself means less wax and waxy build-up and with other ingredients like oil = shine too.

I am only thinking it is the cones, because when I was cone free my hair was much more shiny and now that I'm trying to use cones again my hair is looking dull. :(

But I certainly won't knock people from trying them, because they seem to work great for others.

So, if it's not the cones then what can be? Any recommendations as to what I should try?

Not all buildup is caused by silicone. Silicone buildup results in hair that looks/feels greasy, oily and limp, even shortly after washing, and contrary to popular belief, is fairly easy to remove.

Buildup that causes dull, dry or tangle-prone hair and resists removal with conventional shampoo occurs as a result of complexes formed between anionic (negatively charged) surfactants and cationic (positively charged) conditioning ingredients. Because cationic ingredients are often used conjunction with silicone to boost silicone deposition, many people incorrectly attribute removal-resistant buildup to silicones.

I'm thinking I got the build up from the "complexes", but if that's the case what do you think I should try? Should I try cones again or just stay away from them?

ktani
November 20th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I am only thinking it is the cones, because when I was cone free my hair was much more shiny and now that I'm trying to use cones again my hair is looking dull. :(

But I certainly won't knock people from trying them, because they seem to work great for others.

So, if it's not the cones then what can be? Any recommendations as to what I should try?

What I was saying and was said by another, is that other ingredients in the coney products you use are more likely to be the cause of build-up and dullness than the silicones themselves.

I would simply choose lighter products with fewer cones. Those with more cones also tend as a whole to be heavier on the waxes and polymers.

However, there are exceptions. This is one,
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Spray-For-Wet-Or-Dry-Hair-Hair-Detangler-10-Fl-Oz/11027869#Ingredients
"Water, Dimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxyehtyl Behenamidopropyl Dimonium Chloride, Polysorbate 20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Trisiloxane, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Ceteth-10, Laureth-4, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone."

2 silicones and one wax, and pretty good reviews.
http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/11027869/equate-spray-on-hair-detangler-10-fl-oz-reviews/reviews.htm

Will it build-up? Yes. All conditioners do though. You could use this instead of a conditioner.

ETA: makeupalley.com reviews - also positive - no reviews guarantee you will like the product but it is one option
http://beta.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp?itemid=114971

spidermom
November 20th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I like the results best from using cone-free shampoo and conditioner plus a coney serum sparingly about once per week. I figured out recently that I had been over-using conditioner. I didn't use conditioner for a month, and it took that long for my hair to need conditioner again.

ktani
November 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I like the results best from using cone-free shampoo and conditioner plus a coney serum sparingly about once per week. I figured out recently that I had been over-using conditioner. I didn't use conditioner for a month, and it took that long for my hair to need conditioner again.

That is a very easy mistake to make. When I briefly used conditioner while I was still experimenting with catnip, it was obvious to me that a small amount of conditioner used once, was still on my hair after it was washed, and more conditioner had not been reapplied.

Also, many cosmetic companies are notorious for "no build-up" claims about products, when the opposite is often true.

ETA: Here is something that supports both this and the above post. Modern hair conditioners were developed from fabric softener technology and first became widely availabe in the 1950s. I have read that one can do a laundry and not use liquid fabric softener again, if it has been used consistently previously on the same clothes, and get pretty much the same softness. I believe it.

GabrielleRose
November 23rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
What I was saying and was said by another, is that other ingredients in the coney products you use are more likely to be the cause of build-up and dullness than the silicones themselves.

I would simply choose lighter products with fewer cones. Those with more cones also tend as a whole to be heavier on the waxes and polymers.

However, there are exceptions. This is one,
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Spray-For-Wet-Or-Dry-Hair-Hair-Detangler-10-Fl-Oz/11027869#Ingredients
"Water, Dimethicone, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxyehtyl Behenamidopropyl Dimonium Chloride, Polysorbate 20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Trisiloxane, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Ceteth-10, Laureth-4, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone."

2 silicones and one wax, and pretty good reviews.
http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/11027869/equate-spray-on-hair-detangler-10-fl-oz-reviews/reviews.htm

Will it build-up? Yes. All conditioners do though. You could use this instead of a conditioner.

ETA: makeupalley.com reviews - also positive - no reviews guarantee you will like the product but it is one option
http://beta.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp?itemid=114971

Thanks for the helpful links.

I've been COing for a few days and have got AWESOME shine and glow, tried a coney shampoo and conditioner and my hair dull and very lank.

I think my hair likes cones as detangler, or leave in cream. I guess my hair doesn't like them in S&C.

Wow, I don't think I could go without conditioner due to my tangles but that seems like a nice vacation lol!

I also think my hair likes cone-free shampoo and conditioner with a coney leave-in after wards sparingly as well.

ktani
November 23rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the helpful links.

I've been COing for a few days and have got AWESOME shine and glow, tried a coney shampoo and conditioner and my hair dull and very lank.

I think my hair likes cones as detangler, or leave in cream. I guess my hair doesn't like them in S&C.

You are very welcome.

RitaPG
November 23rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Hello all! I was just wondering how can you tell if your hair likes cones or not? I was cone free for months and had great shine, and now when I try cones my hair looks really dull. :( Also, cones detangle my hair like a dream but as soon as I get out my hair just clumps up together. What's going on with me?!?!
If your hair feels soft, shiny and silky, you do well with cones.
If your hair feels dry, brittle or oily and limp, and actually tangles more, it means your hair doesn't respond well to cones.

I've found that my hair does okay with cones, they are great detanglers and keep my hair tangle free for longer, but I prefer to use lighter cones, like Amodethicone, instead of Dimethicone (which is too heavy to use on every wash)

If your hair clumps together, maybe you're not rinsing it all off. Or maybe your hair just doesn't like it. If it felt better when you were using cone-free products, then that's what you should do. Just look for a thick, creamy cone-free condish to use on days that your hair might feel a little more tangled than usual. It's important to have a good detangler.

vanillabones
November 23rd, 2011, 09:42 PM
Because my hair is disgusting without cones, whether this is due to past damage that lingers or not I do not know, but I could never dream of not having cones somewhere in my hair regimen. My hair is a beast without cones and made me cry and want to cut it all off when I experimented with no cones when I first joined LHC! How no cones makes some peoples hair here feel amazing, that's how cones makes mine :)

gilbert-sarah
November 23rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
I dont know if you have found a conditioner you liked yet( sry i skipped the second page but its late lol) but one that I just recently found that is AMAZING for detangling is a new tresme natuarals one... its cone and sulfate free. It comes in a white bottle with black lettering and a green leaf. I also use a little bit of this as my leave in and its great=) hope that helps

GabrielleRose
November 23rd, 2011, 10:26 PM
Because my hair is disgusting without cones, whether this is due to past damage that lingers or not I do not know, but I could never dream of not having cones somewhere in my hair regimen. My hair is a beast without cones and made me cry and want to cut it all off when I experimented with no cones when I first joined LHC! How no cones makes some peoples hair here feel amazing, that's how cones makes mine :)

Oh no! I'm sorry no cone was horrible for you and made you want to cut your hair. But it sure is great they work out for you, and makes your hair feel amazing.

I dont know if you have found a conditioner you liked yet( sry i skipped the second page but its late lol) but one that I just recently found that is AMAZING for detangling is a new tresme natuarals one... its cone and sulfate free. It comes in a white bottle with black lettering and a green leaf. I also use a little bit of this as my leave in and its great=) hope that helps

So, far I like Tame. Don't worry, I understand it being late. I have actually tried the Tresemme Naturals one with coconut oil and boy did my hair tangle like CRAZY!!! I may try the other ones later. Which do you use?

If your hair feels soft, shiny and silky, you do well with cones.
If your hair feels dry, brittle or oily and limp, and actually tangles more, it means your hair doesn't respond well to cones.

I've found that my hair does okay with cones, they are great detanglers and keep my hair tangle free for longer, but I prefer to use lighter cones, like Amodethicone, instead of Dimethicone (which is too heavy to use on every wash)

If your hair clumps together, maybe you're not rinsing it all off. Or maybe your hair just doesn't like it. If it felt better when you were using cone-free products, then that's what you should do. Just look for a thick, creamy cone-free condish to use on days that your hair might feel a little more tangled than usual. It's important to have a good detangler.

It definitely feels better cone free.

I tried cones again last night and my hair did not look nice. I made sure to rinse really well too. But it was a no go. My hair looked dull, stringy and felt gross. :(

I will be trying CO again with Suave coconut tonight. I hope it works out.

Cones work for me as a leave-in and in a detangling spray as well.

gilbert-sarah
November 24th, 2011, 03:17 PM
here ya go=) i didnt know there was one with coconut but if your hair didnt like it maybe it was a protein reaction.
http://http://www.tresemme.com/Products/Naturals/Naturals-Moisture-Conditioner/#-one

Martukita
November 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
During all summer I was using Tressemme Moisturizing shampoo and the deep conditioning treatment masque because my hair was feeling very dry because of sun and beach... but it made made my hair feeling even more dry, the scalp really greasy and lots of frizz. The problem went out when I clarified and switched to a cone free shampoo.

So... that's how I knew my hair doesn't like cones! :)

GabrielleRose
November 25th, 2011, 02:13 PM
here ya go=) i didnt know there was one with coconut but if your hair didnt like it maybe it was a protein reaction.
http://http://www.tresemme.com/Products/Naturals/Naturals-Moisture-Conditioner/#-one

Yeah, it's called smooth I think. I don't know if it was a protein reaction, not sure if there is protein in it but it was horrible at detangling! I may just try the moisture one.

Also, thanks for the link. ;)

During all summer I was using Tressemme Moisturizing shampoo and the deep conditioning treatment masque because my hair was feeling very dry because of sun and beach... but it made made my hair feeling even more dry, the scalp really greasy and lots of frizz. The problem went out when I clarified and switched to a cone free shampoo.

So... that's how I knew my hair doesn't like cones! :)

That is what happens when I try to use cones now lately, darn it!