PDA

View Full Version : Must force self to use non-matching S&C...

Lilli
November 19th, 2011, 05:48 AM
You're gonna think I'm ridiculous, but I cannot mix and match different shampoos and conditioners. I am so sensitive to smells that having two different smells would make my head explode. Finding a good product is even harder when its companion must also be a good product... yes, I am crazy. :cheese:

long&blonde
November 19th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I'm not sensitive to smells. So I do mix the 2, on occasion. I much prefer matching also.

celebriangel
November 19th, 2011, 06:10 AM
My solution to this? CO. I use only 1 conditioner.

You could also try non-scented conditioner. I'm sure someone here will point you in its direction.

Lilli
November 19th, 2011, 06:56 AM
My solution to this? CO. I use only 1 conditioner.

You could also try non-scented conditioner. I'm sure someone here will point you in its direction.

Nah, I've tried fragrance-free. It still messes with my sense of order, and there aren't very many choices.

alwayssmiling
November 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM
My hairdresser always said that it is far better to use matching products (apparently they are designed to work together) and I followed that religiously for years. But since coming here and ditching my hairdresser I have relaxed about it and mix and match after the conditioner has run out. I do often wonder if what she told me was right though - there is still a part of me that says my hair has a better result when using the same products but I think that is just pschology.

spidermom
November 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I often end up mis-matched because my conditioner runs out before my shampoo does. My hair doesn't seem to hold onto scent.

shikara
November 19th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Do any rinses help to somewhat neutralize the scent, such as ACV?

Amber_Maiden
November 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I've always not cared that much about matching- sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Like if I used a clarifying shampoo I don't use the CO that goes with, I use a moisturizing one.

MrsGuther
November 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I love mixing and matching shampoo and conditioner. I like to have different yummy smells going on while I'm washing/co'ing my hair. :) Sorry that it bothers you. Maybe you could try some s/c with lighter scents.

luxepiggy
November 19th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I'm like this too - very sensitive to fragrances, and mismatching ones drive me nutso! (*(oo)*)

amantha
November 19th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I always match them because I feel like my hair tends to feel weird if I mix and match products. The only times I don't are when I run out of something and forgot to go to the store to replace it, so I'll use another product of a different line in the mean time. Also when I clarify, I use Neutrogena's anti-residue clarifying shampoo, which doesn't have a matching conditioner. So I just use a deep conditioner of a different brand. But the mismatching scents drive me nuts too!

pepperminttea
November 19th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the smell of my conditioner always hangs around a lot - I can usually smell it right up until the next wash. But the smell of the shampoo goes pretty much as soon as I apply the conditioner in the shower?

The only shampoo smell that ever hung around for me was T-Gel. I felt like a freshly tarred road all week. shudder:

Melisande
November 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
All the shampoos I use are nearly without scent. Alverde has no scent, Sante a bit more, but very very gentle. I can't bear scented products at all any more. I don't use any commercial products with strong smells any more, not even hand cream. I absolutely dislike the strong artificial smells that some companies add to their products.

beckishness
November 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I like to use matching shampoos and conditioners. I have everything lined up neatly in my bathroom.

squiggyflop
November 19th, 2011, 06:46 PM
well, i use unscented shampoo (clarifying shampoo, basically chemicals and water really), and conditioner..

perhaps if you switched to an unscented shampoo it might be ok? i know someone mentioned unscented conditioner but ive never found a conditioner that didnt smell like something even when labelled as unscented.. or you could try baking soda washes..

that being said ive never used matching shampoo and conditioner in my life so maybe its just a matter of getting used to something

Annibelle
November 19th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I used to be this way until coming to LHC! :) I'm definitely not that way now. It feels neat and orderly to always use the same product line, but now I'm experimenting with poo bars, so that's just one product going on my head (plus ACV). I'm going to feel so liberated when I'm rid of all of my conventional products and that matchy business! :) And I'm gonna have a whole lotta shelf space after I get rid of all of my conditioners from when I experimented with CO... but that'll take a whileeee, since I've got bunches and DH will be the only one using it from now on. ;)