PDA

View Full Version : Help with sock bun!

jrk
November 18th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I tried doing a sock bun on my DD's hair. It's about shoulder length. For the life of me I can't get the sock to stay in! Within 5 minutes it kept falling out. She has very fine, stick straight hair. What can I do to make it stay. She loves curls!

vanity_acefake
November 18th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Which way are you trying to do it? There are 2 ways that I know of.

jrk
November 18th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Put it in a pony, then roll the ends onto the sock, finally roll the sock down to the head. It just won't stay in :(

mora
November 18th, 2011, 09:43 PM
If you're trying to do the fully-rolled sock bun, you might want to look at luxepiggy's article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=82518) on how to do it in slippery straight hair.

jrk
November 18th, 2011, 09:45 PM
It says I don't have access :(

mora
November 18th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Oops, sorry I forgot that it is actually not an article but a blog entry. :o Once you're up to 25+ post and approved, you should be able to see it.

Here's a very poor summary in the meantime:
Essentially, she uses a sock with an elastic for the sock bun. The elastic part is positioned further from the head and closer to the ends of the hair. Before rolling the sock down, the ends of the hair are tucked into the elastic part of the sock. This keeps the hair in while rolling down.

Re-reading your post, though, perhaps that wasn't your problem. It sounds like you can fully form the sock bun nicely but then it falls out a few minutes after it's formed? Maybe try different sock sizes?

luxepiggy
November 19th, 2011, 12:34 AM
It sounds like your daughter's hair isn't long enough for the fully-rolled sockbun to stay in on its own (it only stays in if you've got several layers of hair wrapped around the donut). A few strategically placed hidden hair pins inserted at the base of the bun should do the trick. It also helps to bun the hair when it's slightly damp.