PDA

View Full Version : Hair magazines frustrate me because....

shikara
November 18th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I think that only once did I see a magazine actually instruct as to how to get the look, but even that was only in the last few pages! The fact that someone two thousand miles away un a salon somewhere did the updo often doesn't help me one bit. I can stare and stare at pictures and try it out at home - it may turn out to look fine, but not like the picture. Just a rant I guess....

Amber_Maiden
November 18th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I know! I never even bother looking at those "How- to"s anymore. Depressing.

Toadstool
November 18th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I just love hair magasines. It makes me so happy looking at the different cuts and styles. They're usually shorter hair though, I haven't seen ones with updos.

Sundial
November 18th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Ah :( I used to share the same frustration with hair and makeup too. Until one day I realized that the pictures they stick in there are sometimes from runways, events, etc, and that they're not done from scratch as depicted in the description. Like, they'll just take a random photo of some celebrity and start doing a tutorial of how her hair or makeup is done but the one writing the tutorial isn't the one doing the hair/makeup so he/she might not even have gotten it right

As for those who actually do a step by step pictorial guide, if it doesn't work out, most of the time it's because my hair type was different from the hair model's. Also, having someone do the back of your head is really different from recreating the same look on yourself

shikara
November 18th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Hehe.....i was having to rest my elbows on my dresser as I worked the style trying over and over to get it:D.

Madora
November 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM
What frustrated me no end was the blurbs on the cover stating that long hair styles were included inside...and finding hairstyles for shoulder length hair! What a crock!

Melon Collie
November 18th, 2011, 08:50 PM
^ What she said. I've given up on looking at magazines for hair advice. IMHO, shoulder length is not long hair.

Arashi
November 18th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Those frustrate me more because the content is often something like this:
Here's how to make a messy ponytail! First, wash your hair, then blowdry on high heat. Flatiron the entire length until crispy. Then, use your curling iron! Once the hair is curled, comb it out and glob on an entire bucket of mousse and hairspray. Put in a ponytail and you're done. So cute and chic!
:brickwall

I think the LHC is far better than any magazine could hope to be :D

Freckled.Thing
November 19th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Here's how to make a messy ponytail! First, wash your hair, then blowdry on high heat. Flatiron the entire length until crispy. Then, use your curling iron! Once the hair is curled, comb it out and glob on an entire bucket of mousse and hairspray. Put in a ponytail and you're done. So cute and chic!

Haha, brilliantly said. I completely agree. I know exactly what you mean.

Lissandria
November 19th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I just love their articles on how to achieve the latest hairstyle for summer/prom/spring etc with extremely patchy and un-detailed instructions, yet with heaps of info (read: shameless promotion) on tools and products absolutely 'essential' to complete said look. :rolleyes:

And Arashi I love your post. LOL so true!

longhairedlady
November 19th, 2011, 04:21 AM
What frustrated me no end was the blurbs on the cover stating that long hair styles were included inside...and finding hairstyles for shoulder length hair! What a crock!

i hate that!!!!!!! I get all excited thinking they have something for "long hair" and then find out I have a different idea of what long is. :mad:

BusyLizzie
November 19th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Yeah and hair mags are really expensive

Clelia
November 19th, 2011, 06:39 AM
A few years ago, a girls magazine had an extra about hairstyling. There were three models: the short haired was a cross between a pixi and a bob, the medium haired had shoulder to apl hair and the long haired was about waist length, I think. That was the late 90s or early 2000s.

Fast forward into 2011; open random magazine: long hair= shoulder length to apl. Bsl if you're extremely lucky. Everything longer? Super long, urban legend XXXXXL hair nobody actually can have when it's not extensions.

Oh yeah, and the shameless 90% advertising 10% instructions in a freaking tutorial annoy me.

Shuan
November 19th, 2011, 07:07 AM

My jaw dropped, I know you probably exaggerated a bit, but is this really the kind of advice they give in magazines? :shocked:

This topic reminded me of how food almost always looks better in pictures than the real results. :D

ETA: typo

vanillabones
November 19th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I hate hair magazines. I can't find any inspiration in them whatsoever. The cuts are always extremely trendy and styled heavily - cut and product wise. I've never seen hair longer than BSL in one and even BSL is a rare thing to find in a hair magazine. Ugh they frustrate me. I'll never buy one again and it's annoying even to look through them. I used to buy the short hair cuts magazine when I had a pixie though and I always found one I liked to bring to my stylist :)

einna
November 19th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Haha, great thread. This is so true. I remember when I was a teenager and reading magazines with tutorials, I never really understood what to do, and it just made me feel stupid. :P

jacqueline101
November 19th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I think those magazines are for women that get their hair cut and styled a certain way. If you don't have that cut you can't have that style. You have to have that hair type also.

Maraz
November 19th, 2011, 10:54 AM
i hate that!!!!!!! I get all excited thinking they have something for "long hair" and then find out I have a different idea of what long is. :mad:

^^^ This most of all! Same with in the hair cutting places. Their styling books were created by people who think 'long hair' is anything at or just below the shoulders.

QMacrocarpa
November 19th, 2011, 01:43 PM
My cynical self mutters that magazines full of "advertorial" may be intended to frustrate the reader. It's probably easier to sell something unnecessary to someone who's frustrated than to someone who's the boss of their hair and perfectly content with it. First they sell us the "problem" (I can't create this look! I'm a hopeless hair klutz!) so they can sell us the magic solution (this product will give me mad hair skilz!).

truepeacenik
November 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM

How I get a messy ponytail:
Put hair in ponytail. Take nap. Wake up. Pull tie out, regathering and put tie back in without using a brush or comb.
Voila! Messy ponytail.

pepperminttea
November 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM
That's why I stick to youtube for hair tutorials. There's a fair amount of 'flat iron, then curl, then backcomb' but if you ignore all that there's some lovely styles, and being able to see someone doing it makes it so much easier to learn. :)

xyris
November 19th, 2011, 02:22 PM
It is extremely annoying to look through magazines and have no clue how to do the style they mention. And I'd like it if it didn't involve a blowfry and straightening my hair into oblivion.

What annoys me most about finding a picture to bring to my hairdresser is the lack of other angles. That just gets me more than the lack of decent instructions.

Though, I do like hair magazines when they have the crazy color sections! That's the best part for me.

blondie9912
November 19th, 2011, 03:41 PM

This made me giggle :p

I agree! Non-LHC-ers are verrrry addicted to heat styling. I'm not judging, because most of us have probably bene there at one point or another, but it's just a pain because many hairstyles they advertise require heat.