PDA

View Full Version : back to cones.. feels like cheating :o

kittymallow
November 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Okay so i have tried for some months now to be cone free and I have battled frizz and no shine, but got the regimen to work after a while, but now I think I just forgot what my hair feels like when using cones, because I just had to buy new shampoo and conditioner today, and I went for the tigi sleek mystique and it is sulphatefree but has cones.. I washed with the new products this evening and added a tad of vineyard serum and let it dry.. god I have missed this feeling!! Silky soft, no tangles or velcro ends and it feels so fluffy and bouncy and shiny.. but then again I feel it is sooooo "wrong" since the cones are a little no no here on LHC..

Am I the only one feeling like this??

BlazingHeart
November 18th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I'd say cones are more debated than no no around here. I am thinking about trying to find some cones that will come out with SLS free shampoo because my hair just isn't as glossy without them.

Melisande
November 18th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I think this is a misunderstanding. Cones are no no-no on LHC. Far as I can see, there are no no-nos. LHC philosophy far as I got to know it is: YMMV. Try a lot and find out what is good for you. Find out not by listening to others but by listening to your hair.

Since coney products are being pushed by magazines and commercials, since cones are mainstream, and since it takes a bit of an effort to find conefree products, it may be more noticeable that many here found that using cones is not the best for their hair.

For me, it was really bad but before I found LHC, I didn't even know there was such a thing. I learned here how to identify cones, and when I went conefree, it was great for my hair. I own one cone conditioner that I use rarely because I love its smell - but more often than once a month, and I get the plasticky build up again.

Why should your experience be the same? Your hair has different characteristics and needs. Now that you tried conefree, your cone use will be much more conscious and controlled. Some people switch between different brands, some dilute conditioner or add vinegar to it or oil or honey or herbal tea, others follow with a final rinse - there are so many variations possible.

I never felt that using cones would mean betraying. Many people here use cones, many others don't, many do and don't. I think there is a difference between using cones without even knowing you are using them, because you buy the shampoo pushed by commercials - and between using cones because you know the ingredient and learned that your hair reacts well to them.

Don't feel bad. Identify what your hair needs and likes, and provide it ;-) Nobody here will attack you for it - just the opposite.

Amber_Maiden
November 18th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I use cones as well, it's just something my hair likes! :)

Mairéad
November 18th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Cones aren't a bad thing. They can be for some individuals but no one declared, "Thou shalt not use cone."

There are tons of cone users here. Lots of people use SLS, too.

jesis
November 18th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I gave up cones for like 5 seconds before I knew my hair couldn't take it. (That's obviously an exaggeration). My hair was so dull, stringy, and unmanageable without them! Just do what works best for you!

Modarunner
November 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM
You just have to do what works for your hair. Nowhere on the forum does it say we all have to take care of our hair the same way. All that matters is that you feel good about your hair and it's healthy.

kittymallow
November 18th, 2011, 04:16 PM
but no one declared, "Thou shalt not use cone."

This was so funny:D

Thank you everybody.. it is good to know that i am not the only cone head around;)

turtlelover
November 18th, 2011, 04:21 PM
My hair LOVES cones, and I got to waist before in GREAT condition using them. If they work for your hair, use them!:cheese:

sbhonda
November 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I never realized how much my hair didn't like cones until I recently stopped using them. I really didn't know much about them until a few months ago. I could never air dry my hair before without getting a frizzball result. Now my hair air dries virtually frizz-free, even if I touch it the whole time it's drying.

I suppose it could be other changes I've made and not the cones, but what I'm doing now is working, so I see no reason to change it. I have one deep conditioner with amodimethicone, but I try not to worry about it if it's outside of the first 5 ingredients and I don't use it often.

You don't know unless you experiment, I guess. Good thing experimenting is so fun.

Nix
November 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Nah, whatever works for your hair is a go. So go cones!

racrane
November 18th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Whatever works for you, works for you. For me, I use no cones most of the time, but every once in while, I'll use a coney conditioner and I like it. Whatever works. :) You're not alone!

luxepiggy
November 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Never feel guilty for doing something that your hair likes! Personally I find 'cones to be a yes-yes (^(oo)~)

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 18th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I have this urge to go back to cones. Lol. Only because i have forgotten what my hair felt like before, but i think my hair is better off without them. Every person is different :P

Ravenwind
November 18th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I recently switched to Pantene after using organic shampoo and conditioners for a few months, and honestly I don't regret it one bit. My hair is so much softer and shiner and a lot easier to manage now :)

MrsGuther
November 18th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I find that my hair loves cones as long as I do a clarifying shampoo once in a while. Every person's hair is unique to them. Don't feel like you are cheating. You are just doing what works for your hair, and that is absolutely fine. :)

Annibelle
November 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Cones don't seem to affect my hair one way or the other-- it's pretty much the same either way. :) I choose not to use them anyway, though, simply to be a little bit more natural. :)

longhairedlady
November 18th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I agree with luxepiggy!! Cones are a yes-yes! My hair is not happy without cones. I slip up ever once in a while and try and go conefree and my hair just goes to crap quick. Go with what your hair is happy with. If it likes cones, them give it all the cones it wants!! :D

ccmso12
November 18th, 2011, 10:11 PM
I also found I and my hair missed the cones . . .I do however remember to now clarify twice a month though to prevent strand buildup that would interfere with my hair absorbing nutrients and moisture . . .inadverdantly drying it out even though it could still feel nice.

Im more aware of the fact that cones can mask develouping damage and dryness :)

supbanana
November 19th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Never feel guilty for doing something that your hair likes! Personally I find 'cones to be a yes-yes (^(oo)~)

^Completely agreed! I went off-cone for a while and it just about killed my hair, so now I'm back on them and my hair is recovering.

Lilli
November 19th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I find that my hair loves cones as long as I do a clarifying shampoo once in a while. Every person's hair is unique to them. Don't feel like you are cheating. You are just doing what works for your hair, and that is absolutely fine. :)

I also found I and my hair missed the cones . . .I do however remember to now clarify twice a month though to prevent strand buildup that would interfere with my hair absorbing nutrients and moisture . . .inadverdantly drying it out even though it could still feel nice.

Im more aware of the fact that cones can mask develouping damage and dryness :)

I used to think that cones were evil until I realized I just needed to clarify and moisturize regularly. I have a zillion products and switch it up all the time and my hair is fine.

Clelia
November 19th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I now have a medical body wash from my dermatologist, that I have to use on my scalp. It contains cones and SLS, and it makes me want to scratch my head all the time. The problem is, I am not to shampoo or wash my skin with anything else before and after I used it, so I can't even wash my hair properly... At least I can condition my ends. But I still don't like that stuff in my hair, at all!

Bianca
November 19th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Use what ur hair likes. I have been back and forth too. Always go back to no cones and CO-washing though, cause my hair gets greasy super fast on cones :p

Great it works for you :)

blondie9912
November 19th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Don't feel quilty for cone-ing! If it's what makes your hair look nice and therefore makes you happy, then go for it!

As long as you're not using heat on your hair, I don't think cones are bad at all. I've heard that when you cone before flatironing/blowdrying it has a 'shrink-wrap' effect on your hair and just sucks all of the moisture out.

Cones may be every better for your hair if they make it easier to brush, which means less detangling damage :)

Just don't forget to clarify when needed!

Copasetic
November 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Okay so i have tried for some months now to be cone free and I have battled frizz and no shine, but got the regimen to work after a while, but now I think I just forgot what my hair feels like when using cones, because I just had to buy new shampoo and conditioner today, and I went for the tigi sleek mystique and it is sulphatefree but has cones.. I washed with the new products this evening and added a tad of vineyard serum and let it dry.. god I have missed this feeling!! Silky soft, no tangles or velcro ends and it feels so fluffy and bouncy and shiny.. but then again I feel it is sooooo "wrong" since the cones are a little no no here on LHC..

Am I the only one feeling like this??

I do! I am off cones right now, but whenever I have them I have a twinge of guilt. It's so weird how much the LHC has changed the way I think. I just remind myself that I need to do what works for my hair, not what works for others.

danacc
November 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM
There is nothing inherently "wrong" or "bad" about 'cones. Some hair loves them; some hair hates them. It's good to know how your hair responds.

My hair loves them. :love:

bna_rapunzel
November 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
My hair LOVES cones, and I got to waist before in GREAT condition using them. If they work for your hair, use them!:cheese:

I got to tb using them, and I'm still growing... and still using them :)
I am definitely a conehead over here :)

wishywashy
November 20th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I also tried the no cones, conditioner only method for a few months....it was ok at first, but then it just wasn't working for me anymore. I tried to keep going, but eventually I gave in....

I now use head and shoulders (diluted), then mane n tail conditioner followed by sauve rosemary/mint conditioner, I still use my jojoba or coconut oil as a leave in and air dry. My hair and scalp are soooooo happy now. I also do the ACV/Baking soda 2-3 times a month.

I think mixing it up like that works best for me.

pepperminttea
November 20th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Now that you tried conefree, your cone use will be much more conscious and controlled. Some people switch between different brands, some dilute conditioner or add vinegar to it or oil or honey or herbal tea, others follow with a final rinse - there are so many variations possible.

This! It's all about experimentation and using what your hair likes. Knowing about 'cones is great, so you can control how you use them and better understand your hair's reaction, but don't feel you can't use them. They're not evil, just misunderstood. :p

HintOfMint
November 20th, 2011, 09:48 AM
It is completely fine to use cones. For me, I found that cone use was seasonal. In really cold winters, I have switched to cones because they end up protecting my hair far better than any oil.

julliams
November 21st, 2011, 03:51 AM
I'm still trying to work out what is best for my hair. The other day I wanted really great hair to wear to a wedding so I totally coned up with a coney shampoo, conditioner, leave in and even used hair spray. I used hot rollers and my hair came out perfect.

So, I think it's whatever works for you. All I can say is that since I gave up cones, I have better wave but I have split ends. So..... I'm still not sure what's best for it. If I use cones for several weeks I do find it builds up and goes almost straight.

Lilli
November 21st, 2011, 06:50 AM
I'm still trying to work out what is best for my hair. The other day I wanted really great hair to wear to a wedding so I totally coned up with a coney shampoo, conditioner, leave in and even used hair spray. I used hot rollers and my hair came out perfect.

So, I think it's whatever works for you. All I can say is that since I gave up cones, I have better wave but I have split ends. So..... I'm still not sure what's best for it. If I use cones for several weeks I do find it builds up and goes almost straight.

I have done the same for fancy events: coney shampoo and conditioner, volumizing spray, blowdrier, rollers, etc. It's a lot of work but it isn't going to kill my hair once a year.

Cones do flatten my hair and kill the wave, so I do not like to use them every day.

Helenae
November 21st, 2011, 08:22 AM
It really does depend on the person's hair.

I went without cones for 3 months and my hair hated it. Even with hot oil avocado masks nearly every week - my hair was still a little dull and flat. When I went back using cones, everyone noticed how much shinier my hair looks.

I don't suffer from buildup because I only use cones from the chin-downwards (conditioners, hair serums etc) - I don't put any cones on the roots because it weighs your hair down and promotes greasy roots.

If you use cones and your hair is feeling a little mucky, just do an AVC rinse with some lemon juice to cleanse your scalp.

sugarpixie10988
November 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
My hair needs cones, or else it's a tangly mess. I CO with a cone free conditioner, but every other day or so I'll apply a coney serum. The only difference in my hair between cones and no cones is the amount of tangles. I definitely don't see it as cheating! :)

maborosi
November 27th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I went cone-free for several months to see how my hair'd like it.

While cone-free was nice, it made my hair pretty soft, and fairly shiny, it ended up tangled badly, especially if it was left down, and my hair color faded very quickly.

With cones, I do experience a small amount of buildup after about 3 weeks, I think, and it can almost completely straighten out my hair...the benefits for me outweigh these cons.

My hair isn't tangly, it's extremely shiny, soft, and smooth, and it helps to preserve my color.

I like cones.

~maborosi~