PDA

View Full Version : Can I use red permanent dye WITHOUT the developer??

GettingThere
November 18th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I've done this search several times and either there is not alot of information on the boards or I cannot find the right combination of search terms:)

I want to give my natural very light brown hair a red tint and I do not want to use a true permanent color with the peroxide. I had thought about using just the color without the developer to get just a hint of red....will this work? Can I mix it with conditioner and apply like henna and let sit for an hour or so...?

Any help or war stories would be great:)

Elysium
November 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I doubt that would work.
Maybe try a henna gloss, or a semi-permanent vegetable dye (Manic Panic/Stargazer) mixed with some conditioner?

spike316
November 18th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I've been wondering kind of the same thing, only I am looking for something permanent. I have some pravana on its way to me, but I haven't been able to find any of their zero-lift developer which leaves me contemplating their 10 volume on ebay. I'm going to have my hairdresser put it in for me, but she's in colorado at the moment and I want to order it because my color (manic panic) is getting pretty faded. :/
As far as op goes, if you're not looking for something permanent I highly recommend manic panic, it usually washes out in about a month on me.

Amber_Maiden
November 18th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah, don't think it will work either. It would be like colouring your hair with juice, it won't seep in all that well and will just wash out.

Neya
November 18th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Skip anything that needs a developer. It's meant to work with developer and won't deposit much ( if any). I expiremented with blue-green double ash toner(chi) meant to be used with developer. It was almost straight color and only left a barely visible cast till my next wash.

You could use a veggie dye (manic panic/sfx) or elumen by goldwell, mixed with conditioner.

numbernine
November 18th, 2011, 01:24 PM
it will not work without the developer
the chemical reaction that bonds the dye into your hair needs the developer to work,
any colour you get ( i doubt you would get any) will wash straight away especially with red dyes as they have the largest size (this is why red chemical dye fades fastest)
you need to use a deposit only colour like manic panic or elumen or try henna.
hope that helps

Pixystix6
November 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM
No, you can't use permanent dye without a developer. First, red hair color is not permanent anyways its only semi, and its the most sought after hair color to get and the harddest to keep even if you're just tinting. The first time you wash it, if not washed properly in cool water with a good shampoo, it fades drasticly. Even if you are washing well it still fades fast. If you don't want to use the developer there are those colors in the squeeze tubes that you just slap on your head without developer but those don't give you the results you want and only last a few days :C

At the moment I'm a fake red head and I've learned something it while being in beauty school.

GettingThere
November 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies...sounds like the general consensus is that this would not work. I hadn't even thought of Manic Panic (for some reason - I used it a loooooong time ago). I had also considered beet juice:) I did a rinse with catnip and balsamic vinegar that I left on for 15 minutes but I didn't notice any increase in red tint.

Thanks again!

Columbia River
November 18th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I did it, I used half color and half conditioner...it deposited color on my hair...however that teased me into trying henna. I am now SO IN LOVE with henna.