PDA

View Full Version : Less coating = cleaner hair longer?

proo
November 18th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Newish routine - once a week wash with extremely dilute conditioner (Shea Moisture) followed by extremely dilute shampoo - yes, in that order. It leaves just enough sebum and zero coatings so I can easily last a week between shampoos; often it's even longer. I really want to use my own sebum to it's best advantage since it seems most compatible when in balance.
I bun it up every day, spray lightly with distilled water and cover with a silky scarf whenever possible for it's own health, and because it bugs me if I don't - this seems to provide all the moisture needed, even the ends since they are tucked up against the scalp all day. It has to be a silky scarf or it'll suck moisture itself from the hair. This method has been smoothing the hair as the days go by, yet keeping it nice and clean.

Madora
November 18th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Exactly! The less stuff you put on your hair that coats it, the longer it will stay clean.

Of course, other factors play a part too (how active you are, your environment, etc) but the less stuff on those strands, the less the likelihood of dust/lint/etc sticking to it.

duchesswannabe
November 18th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks. I want to try this.

Amber_Maiden
November 18th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Good luck! :)

UP Lisa
November 18th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure what the point of the conditioner wash is. Why not just use the diluted shampoo? Isn't the shampoo washing away the conditioner anyway?

Madora
November 18th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure what the point of the conditioner wash is. Why not just use the diluted shampoo? Isn't the shampoo washing away the conditioner anyway?

I think it is to protect the strands/seal in moisture. But I agree with your statement. I dilute both my shampoo and conditioner and have never had troubles with buildup nor needed to clarify my hair.

proo
November 18th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I use conditioner first to emulsify sebum and get it moving - I don't manipulate my hair much when wet, just dump my big pitcher through and over my head after it's thoroughly soaked. Then I dump the diluted shampoo through so as not to leave any residue from the conditioner. If I wait long enough between shampoos and keep it really dilute I end up with clean hair with just enough sebum to condition.
Of course it's an ongoing tweaking process.