PDA

View Full Version : Heat free curling in public??

julliams
November 18th, 2011, 05:57 AM
I'm going to a wedding tomorrow. I would like to have smooth curls like you get with using a barrel iron, just for that polished look, but I don't want to use heat.

The problem is that I'm taking a plane at 11am, the wedding is at 5:45pm so I'll be out in public when I would normally have rollers in my hair.

When I was 16, I used to curl my hair by pulling it all into a high ponytail and then using rollers just in the ponytail. I'm thinking that if I use soft rollers like this
http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/491808656/Magic_Soft_Bendy_Hair_Rollers_Foam_Curlers_easy_us e_Sponge_Hair_Soft_Curler_Roller_Strip_Curl_Magic_ crimper_Tool_Twist_beauty_Po.jpg_200x200.jpg I could put them in my ponytail and then maybe cover just the "bun" with a scarf????

What do you think? Am I doomed to fail and should I just bring my heated roller set?

I did see the thread about the cocoon type curl but I have never actually tried this so I don't know if I'll get the kind of curl I want. Having said that, I haven't tried this particular method either.

Doh! Why is this so hard?

xoerincolleen
November 18th, 2011, 06:14 AM
When I used to cheerlead, we did the same thing- high ponytail with rollers covered with a scarf or bandana. It really doesn't look that weird, I used to go to school with my hair like that. The only thing is, will the ponytail leave a big crease in your hair?

julliams
November 18th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Well, I was thinking that if it was tight enough, I could cut the hair elastic and then that way there won't be any crease??? I don't know.

I have massive bendy rollers like the green ones here
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/479841632/419074_FOAM_HAIR_ROLLERS.jpg
that I'm trying out tonight. I'm going to sleep in them to see how it looks. If it gives me a nice curl, I'll wash my hair tomorrow morning, let it air dry for about an hour and then put them up. A hairnet might keep it all intact and then a bandanna over that. Wow will I ever be a sight!! Poor husband who has to pretend I'm not looking a little crazy.

I'm wondering if the metal bits inside the rollers are going to cause havoc with security??? It's a domestic flight so it shouldn't be too bad.

spidermom
November 18th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I think it would be easier covered with a scarf if you skipped the ponytail.

pepperminttea
November 18th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Granted it wouldn't give you barrel-iron-esque curls, but what about Loepsie's fully-rolled sock bun? It'd look gorgeous during the day and you could just unroll it when you get there, and presto curls. :D

Amber_Maiden
November 18th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Granted it wouldn't give you barrel-iron-esque curls, but what about Loepsie's fully-rolled sock bun? It'd look gorgeous during the day and you could just unroll it when you get there, and presto curls. :D

Yes, I think this might work as well.

Or you could just not curl your hair? Looks really wavy without, and very pretty! :D

spike316
November 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM

That's what I was thinking! ^_^

julliams
November 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks guys, I've tried the sock bun but I don't get those curls she gets at all. Mine are all wonky and I can't guarentee that it will work. Well, I just slept the whole night in velcro rollers set on dry hair i a ponytail and the results are less than impressive so I think I'm just going to go with my heated rollers. I know they will work and I have the time.

I'm not so scared of heat that I won't use it once in a while. I'm so annoyed because I ordered a Caruso about 6 weeks ago through fishpond.com.au. As soon as I ordered I found a site saying how bad they are and how you never get anything you order through them. My set was supposed to arrive by the 9th of nov, then it got changed to the 16th which would have been perfect and of course it hasn't arrived. Oh well, all I can do is the best with what I have.

I know some of you have suggested I just leave my hair as it is. Well I know in pictures my hair does look nice when it's freshly washed and dried and I don't touch it, but the reality is that we are travelling which means putting my hair up, or it getting blown about in the wind etc and then the curls never look the same, and to be honest, that's how I get around every day so I just want something that looks a little special.

Thanks everyone.

Kira94
November 18th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Could you pincurl and wear a scarf or hat overtop? That's what I used to do.
Good luck! :)

caiti42
November 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Don't know about you but my hair does not fly well :-/ always looks greasy and gross after a flight even if it's only an hour flight. I find I need to wash my hair after anyway.

Rocket22
November 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I'm going to a wedding tomorrow. I would like to have smooth curls like you get with using a barrel iron, just for that polished look, but I don't want to use heat.

The problem is that I'm taking a plane at 11am, the wedding is at 5:45pm so I'll be out in public when I would normally have rollers in my hair.

When I was 16, I used to curl my hair by pulling it all into a high ponytail and then using rollers just in the ponytail. I'm thinking that if I use soft rollers like this
http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/491808656/Magic_Soft_Bendy_Hair_Rollers_Foam_Curlers_easy_us e_Sponge_Hair_Soft_Curler_Roller_Strip_Curl_Magic_ crimper_Tool_Twist_beauty_Po.jpg_200x200.jpg I could put them in my ponytail and then maybe cover just the "bun" with a scarf????

What do you think? Am I doomed to fail and should I just bring my heated roller set?

I did see the thread about the cocoon type curl but I have never actually tried this so I don't know if I'll get the kind of curl I want. Having said that, I haven't tried this particular method either.

Doh! Why is this so hard?

can you tell me where you found these curlers? I would love to check them out.

julliams
November 18th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Hey Rocket22, ebay. I think they were under "soft bendy rollers" or something like that. I just tried looking it up but the images are taking too long to load. I did a thread about it a little while ago. I'd get the link but we are literally leaving for the airport so bet I get on my way. Let me know if you have trouble finding them and I'll find my ebay auction for you when I get back.

jaine
November 18th, 2011, 04:06 PM
You could go to Sally's and get some Caruso steam rollers to use when you arrive ... they work in dry hair and they use very gentle steam instead of direct heat. I can curl my hair in less than 30 minutes including the time to set it with a hair dryer. They have a little bit of a learning curve though.

I don't think anyone will care if they see you in public with curlers in your hair - I'm more worried about your comfort when you try to lean back in the seat on the plane. If you have a massive bun or something stuck to your head that's not going to be comfortable at all!

jrk
November 18th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Sock bun! I can't wait for my hair to be long enough to do it!

coffinhert
November 18th, 2011, 11:40 PM
To keep my pin curls fresh, I will put the bangs part in a pin curl in public. It looks like a fancy updo and when I take it down the curl is refreshed. I will also take the whole back length and wrap it in one large pin-style curl, but then attach it tomy head with a couple small claw clips since it's so much hair. This keeps it up and in curl shape while I go about my work day, but I can take it down and it's still in the same ringlets.

julliams
November 20th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Ok, the short of it is that my hair turned out EXACTLY as I wanted it to. The long story is that I coned up (Redken, Fresh curls shampoo and conditioner, followed by Schwartzkopf treatment, Tigi Foxy Curls as a leave-in - all those products that normally lay dormant at my home these days). Then I let it air dry ( so smooth and coney - yummm). Then when we arrived, I curled my hair using my hot rollers and I even sprayed with hairspray - something I NEVER use. The result was perfect. I was so thrilled with my hair.

I will post photos next week when the camera arrives home (hubby has it and he is staying on business).

Sometimes there is a time for heat, cones and hairspray. I felt great and my hair was just what I'd hoped for. Thankfully all the care I've given it for the last 2 years means that it acutally looked healthy too.

julliams
November 22nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
Ok guys - photos as promised.

What I did to achieve this was use Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo and Conditioner, followed with Tigi Foxy Curls leave it. Then I let it airdry. A few hours later, I put my hair up in my hot rollers (flocked style). There are three different sizes. I made a side parting, then used 5 small across the front of my face from one ear to the other (like the amount of hair a fabric headband would cover). Then I used 6 of the middle sized rollers in the next ear to ear section - this one is directly over the top of my head and down the sides behind the ears. Then for the very back I used the jumbo rollers - 6 in all.

My rolling technique differered which is what gave me this kind of snake curl look. I took a small piece of hair, twisted it in one direction, then put the roller to start about halfway down the hair, wrapped the hair around it so that everything from there down comes in contact with the roller, then just rolled the rest up to the scalp and secured with the metal pin. It was foolproof and every curl came out beautifully.

Then I just sprayed with a strong hold hairspray and left them in for about an hour.

When I took them out, the rollers were slightly warm so if I'd had more time, I could have left them in for about another hour. Unfortunately I didn't have the time.

Anyway, here are the pics. It's probably the first time I've taken hot rollers out and loved the result. Once the rollers were out, I just put up the side in a clip and was totally done!!

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6096/6381915003_953f1a2d72.jpghttp://farm7.staticflickr.com/6049/6381914799_33a7b188c2.jpghttp://farm7.staticflickr.com/6032/6381915127_371538b25d.jpghttp://farm7.staticflickr.com/6093/6381915301_3ec315ca87.jpg

Can I just say how much I wished all of LHC was at this Fijian Indian wedding with me. There were gorgeous hairstyles to behold at every turn. I saw so many cool hairtoys, updos, beautifully cared for long hair on almost every woman there. I felt so privileged to be there.

alyanna
November 22nd, 2011, 01:36 AM
Holy julliams that's an amazing head of hair!!! You've got one of my favorites here on LHC;)

I love the results you got. I just posted a similar thread to yours asking about how to get that smooth, shiny salon look at home. I would've liked to see how your hair did with the soft, bendy things too.

Maybe next time? :D

julliams
November 22nd, 2011, 01:42 AM
I would've liked to see how your hair did with the soft, bendy things too.

Maybe next time? :D

Here ya go - these are from the pink foam ones ages ago http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72330&highlight=foam+rollers

I couldn't keep those pink foam ones together when I had them in a ponytail so I ended up using the massive green bendy ones with the wire in it. Result? Absolutely CRAP! My hair was basically straight. It was weird and I had an uncomfortable nights sleep to boot.

Dars
November 22nd, 2011, 01:52 AM
julliams, your hair result looks gorgeous! Like a commerical. :)

Oksana
November 22nd, 2011, 06:39 AM
Your hair looked perfect! love those curls :)