PDA

View Full Version : To trim or not to trim... that is the question

PaganPriestess
November 18th, 2011, 02:36 AM
I am torn on whether or not I want to trim up my ends or just let them grow. I haven't had a haircut in over six months. Normally I get a trim about twice a year. But, my grandma, who has always cut my hair, usually likes to take a few inches off because the ends get damaged. I don't know if I want to lose that much growth. I don't think they look all too bad, but a blunt hem looks nice too. I have been contemplating a S&D, but I've never done one before so I'm worried I'll mess it up! I'm going to post a few pics I just took (sorry for the size).. I know you all will give me your honest opinions! So what do you think? Trim, or not?

My total length:
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j339/Erica_McKenna/IMAG0456.jpg

Just the ends:
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j339/Erica_McKenna/tn.jpg

An up-close of the ends (held in my hand, so they don't look even at all):
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j339/Erica_McKenna/ends.jpg

PriscillaCherel
November 18th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I don't think you have to trim these ends yet.. I would wait maybe 3 months more:)

Avvoltoio
November 18th, 2011, 03:21 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lize
November 18th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I you feel like you want to trim, and you know your grandma will take off too much, can't you ask someone else to trim for you and take off less? Maybe you could do it yourself with Feye's self trim method.

Annalouise
November 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM
If it was my hair I would trim.:)

ellen732
November 18th, 2011, 07:40 AM
If it was my hair I would trim.:)

Me too. Just a half inch would help freshen up the hemline.

vanity_acefake
November 18th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Your ends look fine to me.
If you were to trim I'd only trim a tiny bit.

Madora
November 18th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Seconding Feye's Self Trim method.

S and D is easy to do and a good way to keep an eye out for splits/damage. Just be sure your scissors are SHARP.

If you're going to trim, I'd say an inch would be good.

Amber_Maiden
November 18th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Looks fine, not damaged at all.

Avital88
November 18th, 2011, 09:36 AM
i woul hold out untill januari and then trim a bit

turtlelover
November 18th, 2011, 10:13 AM
i would trim, but I am a fanatic about hemlines!

moon2dove
November 18th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Your ends look fine to me. Maybe micro trim so you don't loose length. Or wait a couple of months and do S&d to keep ends in good shape. :)

lesbia
November 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I would trim, but just 1 inch or less :)

pinupdancer
November 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I'd do a microtrim. :)

spidermom
November 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I'd trim. I think trimming is best done in small amounts on a regular basis to maintain the thickness and shape of the hem.

celebriangel
November 19th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I would trim, but only a teeny bit - say a half inch. Then have another look to see if you want to take another half inch off.

I wouldn't take off more than and inch. The ends look healthy, just a bit uneven.

papera
November 19th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I'd trim. I think trimming is best done in small amounts on a regular basis to maintain the thickness and shape of the hem.

I agree with Spidermom. Regular (mini)trims are good to keep your hair healthy, thick and in a general good shape! So, to answer your question: I would trim, too! :o

jojo
November 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM
id trim as I like my hair blunt at the ends but thats just me!

jaine
November 19th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I see why your grandmother trims a few inches - she's probably trying to cut enough so that your hemline looks solid and thick. You have a few inches of wispy racer hairs.

Does your hair have any tangling at the ends? If so I would trim it back to a solid hemline, but that's just because it bugs me when my own hair tangles.

PaganPriestess
November 19th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I see why your grandmother trims a few inches - she's probably trying to cut enough so that your hemline looks solid and thick. You have a few inches of wispy racer hairs.

Does your hair have any tangling at the ends? If so I would trim it back to a solid hemline, but that's just because it bugs me when my own hair tangles.

As long as I keep on top of it with brushing I don't have any tangling problems.

Yes, she does like to take off a few inches to get a straight across hemline. It appears my hair would rather have "fairy tale ends". Pretty sure if I stopped trimming that's what I'd get.

ktani
November 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Your hair looks fine to me. Go by how it feels for both doing an s&d and trimming the hemline. If you have no build-up and if you have no tangle issues like hairs catching on each other, then it is likely that you do not have many split ends that need to be trimmed.

While it is a good idea to trim them because splits can and do travel up the hair shaft, splits can occur anywhere on the hairshaft not just the ends.

So, if you are not having any issues, you can wait longer and if you are, trim about an inch (I agree with Madora), and do an s&d.

jaine
November 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
As long as I keep on top of it with brushing I don't have any tangling problems.

Yes, she does like to take off a few inches to get a straight across hemline. It appears my hair would rather have "fairy tale ends". Pretty sure if I stopped trimming that's what I'd get.

Not tangling is good!
How do your ends feel if you take a section of hair between your fingers and run your fingers all the way down to the end?
When I don't need a trim, it feels smooth all the way down and my fingers can't tell where any individual hairs end. But when I need a trim I can "feel" the tips of each hair, like a ton of tiny knobs at the tips of my hair. So that could be a good indicator of needing to trim - it happens sooner than splits.

Mesmerise
November 19th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Trim yourself using Feye's method (as others have recommended). That way YOU are in complete control of how much comes off, and not relying on your grandma to cut off the amount you ask!

Just go with 1/2", that should tidy up your ends nicely. It doesn't look like you need any more off as your ends don't appear to be split or damaged.