PDA

View Full Version : Help! Frizzy hair..

PriscillaCherel
November 18th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Hello everyone!

I got a problem, and want to know what other people would do..

My hair looks perfect this morning, but I had go to work on my bicycle and put my hair in a ponytail. It was very foggy outside. But then.. I came to work... mij hair looks really frizzy at the ends and it looks vulnerable :(..

What can I do about that?? and are there more people with this problem:confused:?

Thank you guys!

:run:

sweetestpoison
November 18th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I don't know if this will actually help or not... but whenever i am styling my hair for the day, i look at an hour by hour report of the weather, and see how humid it is at the time of styling. Anything above 70 = updo... As for combating unexpected frizz, i have this cream from suave professionals, it's like 2 something a bottle, and run a few drops of that through my hair. It is called sleek anti-frizz cream i think. It smells amazing too! :)

Mesmerise
November 18th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Frizzy hair in moisture is VERY common. I think maybe only the straightest of straighties don't get frizz (although if someone can correct me on this, feel free!).

I would agree that if there's rain or whatever forecast for the day, wear an updo. I'm pretty sure your hair is no more vulnerable when it frizzes though, it's just a typical reaction of wavy hair to moisture in the air!

PriscillaCherel
November 18th, 2011, 02:40 AM
@sweetestpoison: I got some products for my hair but won't use it, only when I got a straightning moment, and my hair is losing his volume then:( I got really strange hair!

@Mesmerise: Thanks! hmm maybe I just have to wear an updo, but then I got some weard hair ends, but always better then frizzy vulnerable ends! I just have to try some things out I guess!

sweetestpoison
November 18th, 2011, 03:55 AM
My hair is naturally very very curly.. when i let it air dry it is frizzy no matter what i do! I got into the recent (and probably terrible) habit of blow drying. When my hair is blow dried from being damp (not wet.. i NEVER blow dry it from wet) it has a very soft texture that is easy to work with and seems to be frizz proof. If you aren't afraid of the blow dryer, then i say grab a great heat protecting product,blow dry it from about 30-40% wet, run some anti-frizz cream through it, and see if that helps. It might help keep the volume while still reducing or abolishing frizz. To help mine even more, when i am done blow drying and have run the anti-frizz cream through it, i throw it in a cinnabun with a clip for about 10 minutes or while i'm doing my make up, it really helps to smooth it out.

PriscillaCherel
November 18th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Ok! Maybe i will try that soon! It sounds really good to me, but I don't have a own blow dryer(A) normally I was using it from my sister but she was moving out since last week.

But thanks!

lapushka
November 18th, 2011, 09:04 AM
As a teen, I used to blowdry my hair straight, thinking it was straight at the time, and it always puzzled me that whenever it was foggy: poof, all these waves appeared out of nowhere, and frizzy too.

I think there's little to nothing you can do about your waves appearing. If you're wavy and you're hit with fog, it's not going to become straight any time soon. Try giving it plenty of moisture afterwards (leave-in, oil, serum, whatever you prefer) to calm it down somewhat.

Yeah, beating the elements: not possible. :o

Kiwiwi
November 18th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Hahaha! I saw 'bicycle' and 'foggy' and immediately checked where you live. Yup, Holland, I knew it :-p

I have no tips really. Just, keep it in an updo and maybe wear a scarf/capuchon over it when you're outside?

Amber_Maiden
November 18th, 2011, 09:25 AM
As a teen, I used to blowdry my hair straight, thinking it was straight at the time, and it always puzzled me that whenever it was foggy: poof, all these waves appeared out of nowhere, and frizzy too.

I think there's little to nothing you can do about your waves appearing. If you're wavy and you're hit with fog, it's not going to become straight any time soon. Try giving it plenty of moisture afterwards (leave-in, oil, serum, whatever you prefer) to calm it down somewhat.

Yeah, beating the elements: not possible. :o

I was just about to mention elements like humidity...

How about wearing it up?

ktani
November 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
It is epidemic here lately, lol.

Sometimes frizz is hard to avoid no matter what.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55490&page=5

ETA: See also this thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745

I blogged about it too, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2010/08/another-cost-effective-innovation-by.html
" Mariika's recipe is used after shampoo and conditioner as a final rinse.

Thread tips
1. Strain the lemon juice through a tea strainer into the tap water to remove pulp and any seeds or seed bits
and stir.
2. Pour the mix into a washed out shampoo bottle to take into the shower or apply standing over a sink.
3. Make sure to thoroughly cover all of the hair with the rinse."

spidermom
November 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
The only way I've found to avoid the frizzies is a generous application of gel, then don't touch my hair again. Yes, it will be kind of crunchy, but most people can't tell just by looking. In my world, better crunchy than hairs standing on end waving around.

ktani
November 19th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Mariika's recipe can work for a number of reasons, first and foremost the dilution.

Yes, there are sugas and mucilage in lemon juice - no, not much but enough to give the hair definition and at the same time not allow moisture from the air to get through the rinsed off conditioner it (the rinse) is sitting on top of, even left in as she used it.

It also works rinsed out. My best friend, who used it most of last summer, replaced her volumizing gel with it and was extremely pleased with the results.

Hollyfire3
November 19th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Hey, don't feel bad, my hair is big, thick and curly, and I live in Florida! Sometimes, it is best to just take a hairtie with you and pull up your hair when it starts to poof. I have a cream that is frizz-ease weather proof or something and it helps alot. Coconut serum helps as does a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. It only helps though, i haven't found a perfect all fix yet, if i do, I'll let you know!

jacqueline101
November 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Argan oil mixed with my other oils helped mine. I used it on my hair the one n only brand. Its helped my hair. Argan oil does tame frizzy hair.

ktani
November 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Any oil can do the same thing.

Which natural oil allowed a less amount of moisture vapour to get through hair when tested against coconut oil? Mineral oil.

Does that make it evil? Not in the least. It can make a great finishing oil for shine and frizz control and can be as heavy or light as the amount used. It is purified from a natual source and not toxic. Oils do not seal hair on their own.

I have posted this study before - bolding mine
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17520153
"Coconut oil-treated hair had a higher regain than mineral oil-treated hair. Although treating the hair samples with oil reduced moisture pickup, a considerable amount of moisture vapor was still able to penetrate into hair fibers."

ETA: and from the same link it is not just about those two oils
"Calculated hysteresis plots show that the samples treated with different oils have slightly higher moisture retention at low relative humidities compared to that of the untreated sample, which suggests a beneficial effect."

ktani
November 19th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Cosmetic ingredients all serve a purpose although some are added to products for no other reason than show.

Mineral oil and silicone fluid have a place in hair care and like any other functional ingredient it is about formulation and the amounts used.

Dry "crunchy" ends as I have said before happen when oils are overused on hair with conditioner and styling aid build-up, not by themselves. By themselves they can make hair heavy and oily and yes, less moisture gets through.