PDA

View Full Version : Herringbone versus Fishtail Braid?

Vapunzel91
November 18th, 2011, 12:31 AM
So a new commercial just came out--I don't remember what for, but it's a dad talking about being able to do more things with his family. And then his daughter comes into the picture. He asks her if she wants a Herringbone or Fishtail braid.

My reaction: Aren't they just different names for the same thing? Or is the difference like a French versus a Dutch braid--where one weaves underneath the other strands, and the second braid weaves over the other strands?

W2
November 18th, 2011, 01:04 AM
They are the same - I think the word-writer for the add didn't know better!

Impulsive
November 18th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I've always thought they were the same thing. I haven't seen the commercial. Did the daughter roll her eyes immediately after his question? I think the writers were trying to make a joke. Something like ... Dad's been so out of touch, he doesn't have a clue ... cue eye roll ... that type of thing. Though it sounds like they failed if that was their intent.

sweetestpoison
November 18th, 2011, 01:30 AM
My reaction: Aren't they just different names for the same thing? Or is the difference like a French versus a Dutch braid--where one weaves underneath the other strands, and the second braid weaves over the other strands?

I actually literally yelled at the TV "THEY ARE THE SAME THING!!" when i first saw that commercial XD

freckles
November 18th, 2011, 04:00 AM
I, also, thought they were the same thing. :shrug:

supercupcakexx
November 18th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I've been wondering this too! I even googled it to see if anyone else had said anything, but all that I found were things praising the commercial for being so awesome, and for the dad being so in touch as to know how to french braid--even two different types! :p I wondered if anyone else had noticed anything :D

Amber_Maiden
November 18th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I think they are the same, aren't they?

sbhonda
November 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I definitely thought the same thing when I saw the commercial. I looked it up to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Blackfire
November 18th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Ive never seen this! someone post a link!

pinupdancer
November 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
lol I was just complaining about this commercial to my mom a few days ago. They are the same thing. Some say that one is done slightly tighter with smaller sections than the other (can't remember which) but generally, the names are interchangeable.