PDA

View Full Version : Any OLDER gals or guys growing long hair?

feralnature
July 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I am 52 and and growing out my short layered and colored hair. The front is mostly white and the rest is greying. I want the eventually get the red dyed part trimmed off.

What I am wondering is if there are older folks on here growing long long hair, and if so, are there specific difficulties along the way? Slower growth, more breakage, a need for extra vitamins or something you add to your diet?

Any tips would be appreciated, as well as pics of long grey or white hair. I had waist length as a young person and want it long again.

I worry that because of my age it will not have a decent terminal length, break easily etc

burns_erin
July 8th, 2008, 12:17 PM
My dad is in his 50's and has kept his hair long most of his life. His hair does seem to grow much more slowly and be much drier than it used to. He has to oil his hair much more often now than when he was younger. I do not know what all else, but I will ask him when I get a chance. (One of these days I will have to convince him to get on the net, but he is pretty resistant.)

Radulfr
July 8th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Feralnature- You should check out the 50s & 60s* social group, when possible (with enough posts).... Lots of older peeps there.

ETA:"Silver Hairs" group too

jojo
July 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
You are not old! the only age which is too old to grow, is the age when you stop breathing! keep it growing, you have earned the right to do so!!

Kirin
July 8th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I will be 40 next month and growing my hair long for the first time since i was a teen.

wimsey
July 8th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I'm 50 and have been growing for almost 3 years now. I haven't noticed any particular challenges. Only 2 or 3 gray hairs that I can see--I've got good genes for keeping head hair color.

My eyebrows are going gray, though :cool:.

cindy58
July 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I started growing out from a pixie cut in early 2005, a couple of months before I turned 47. Now, a little more than 3 years later, I'm just hitting waist length. For a while in the beginning, I still went for trims on my short hair schedule. It didn't take long to realize that I wasn't getting anywhere that way. I decided to stay away from the salon, and didn't have a trim for 13 months. Since then I've had a couple of larger (2" or so) trims to rid me of some layers, and a couple of smaller (1/2" or so) trims.

I had waist length or longer as a teen, then cut it short and stayed that way for 30 years.

I don't think I've had much in the way of age related issues. I'm just now seeing the sparklies, my natural color has held up well. I have never colored my hair. I did have a rather serious shed as a result of divorce stress, but it's all growing back and taunting me by sticking out this way and that.

I think patience, sticking out the awkward times, and gentle treatment are the most important things to reaching your long hair goals. It's fun to experiment with different techniques and products, but simple works great too.

DavidN
July 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I am a 54, going on 55 year old man, growing my hair long. A couple of things I notice is that my hair is neither as fast growing or as thick as it was before I turned 50. It also seems to be drier, and of a different consistency than when I was young. (It could be due to the scalp producing less oil as you get older)

However, I know I caused some damage to my hair during the early stage of my hair growing journey, due to too much usage of straightening irons. Some of the dryness in my hair could be due to this earlier damage. Hopefully, with time, and perhaps a trim, my hair will be in better shape.

Also, I have no problem with gray hairs as they grow in, and I rather enjoy my natural silvers and "racing stripes".

tomm
July 8th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I started two years ago growing my hair out for the first time, so I'm afraid I can't tell you if there are issues I have to deal with now that I would not have had to deal with if I had started earlier. What I can tell you is that I am loving having longer and longer hair, and I have no plans to stop.

I look forward to seeing pictures of, and reading about, your progress.

harpgal
July 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm ancient (60). However, I have noticed no difference in growth speed. The whites, that are becoming more abundant with each passing day, are curlier and coarser. With gentle care, you should not have too much trouble with breakage. Small trims along the way help also.

feralnature
July 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks to each and every one of you :)

I have learned so much, of course, since joining here. The first time I ever cut my hair, I was 17. It has never been that long since, it was hip length. I have always felt like I was that girl inside and I won't feel "right" til I have my long hair back again.

My dad is 82 and has beautiful snow white hair, my mom has white and salt and pepper mix, hard to explain. I am turning white in the front, hope I turn snow white like my dad, that would be so cool! He started turning white early, so hopely i won't have to wait til I'm 82.

I have been really babying my hair and oiling with coconut oil, I had some on hand because I intend to make goat milk soap...the oil is doing wonders and never looks greasy or oily at all. I imagine when my hair is long, this pampering will pay off.

Curlsgirl
July 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I am 48 and started growing right before I came here, a couple of years ago.I was SL then and am about 2 inches from waist now. I think my growth has slowed down a little but not the thickness. I do have some gray but keep it highlighted to cover it. As for dryness I am not sure if it is drier or not, maybe a little bit but I am so much kinder to my hair now than I used to be, it still is much better!

I do get some looks sometimes when I tell people I am growing to my tailbone or beyond and a lot of people just think you are not supposed to do that at my age I guess. I don't care. I never liked being like everyone else anyway! :D

Chrissy
July 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Hi! As you can see from my siggy pic I was long and then cut. I'm growing it out again at 53. It hasn't been that long ago I cut it. Maybe 6 months. So the first time I grew it out I was older also. I have not kept growing it for 6 months though. The now picture is what I'm starting out at. Don't give up! Everyone here is very supportive.

xrosiex
July 8th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I'm with all the comment above. I'm 48. And I really think age has nothing to do with growing your hair. Yes I'am seeing some gray, but it seems to grow the same. Sometimes slow and sometimes alittle faster. I have heard the silly ole comments about " older women should keep there hair shorter" but I love mine just like it is. Good Luck growing.:)

HairyCarrie
July 8th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I'm so excited to see so many folks in my age group growing their hair. The original thread questions were timely for me and the responses so helpful. The pictures are proof that my hair can be long and lovely too.

I am also letting my hair color go natural. I love silver hair - I think it's stunning. I've got it in my sideburns and a tiny bit sprinkled about but I wish I had more of it. I colored it two times this year after several years of not coloring at all. But I'm done with that, so whatever grows out is what it shall be.

I do feel my hair is growing at a nice rate, but it seems it always did that in the summertime. I sure hope it continues so I can catch up to some of you all.

justgreen
July 8th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I'll be 52 this year. The only thing I do for my hair , is take Biotin, 5000 mcgs daily. I claim benign neglect most of the time.

Pilgrim
July 8th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I've been growing my hair out for almost four years, having started below shoulders, and am finally almost to waist. It has taken me longer to get to waist than I thought it would, but I think that is because of trims here and there, as well as a somewhat slower growth rate than I used to have. A slower growth rate is the main change I've noticed (other than increasing silvers, which has nothing to do with length!) Anyway, I'm happy with my long and getting longer hair. I do think, that whatever a person's age, a healthy diet and lifestyle are most helpful for growing long, healthy hair.

Happy growing!

renarok
July 8th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I am 49 and my hair keeps on growing. :DI haven't many friends or coworkers who have long hair. I have purposely not told anyone that I am on this long hair journey. I am only doing it for myself. I have gotten some comments on it lately, mostly very complimentary:p but, a few have asked me why I am growing it? I try not to elaborate too much, once again it is only my thing, not theirs.

I have noticed that the diameter of each hair is less than it was when I was in my 20s. I color to cover some grey and to brighten up my features. I have dark ash blonde hair, so it isn't very interesting.

I find that since visiting these boards that I have much healthier hair. I know that the 4 inches in length I've gained since joining is 4 very healthy inches. I am much gentler and mindful of my hair now.

I oil daily with camellia and emu. I use very little shampoo anymore. And I keep heat styling to a minimum. Only special occasions.

galen
July 9th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I'm 54 and have notice no growth changes ever. Only two split ends in a year probable due to physical damage.

It is hot and very dry in Arizona. So I use Kirkland (Costco) Hydrating shampoo & conditioner to help moisturize my hair. It seems to work quite well.

blondecat
July 9th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Depends on what you concider Old lol

justgreen
July 9th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Depends on what you concider Old lol

Yeah, what she said! I consider old to be somewhere around 85-ish or so. Anyone that old with long hair here?

Islandgrrl
July 9th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I'm 48. No changes in growth here other than the grey stuff that used to be red stuff.

Altocumulus
July 9th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Yeah, what she said! I consider old to be somewhere around 85-ish or so. Anyone that old with long hair here?

I'll get back to you in 45 years, lol...

paper
July 9th, 2008, 07:12 AM
In Sept 07, I had my hair cut short for the last time, chin length, layered all over. I was 45 then. That was my last hair cut. I've had 2 trims since, to get rid of layers. I was just thinking, by the time I'm 50, I could have beautiful all 1 length waist length hair. :cheese:

curly girl fla
July 9th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I'm thrilled to see so many well-beyond adolescent people :wink: partaking in their personal hair journeys. I am 44, and, although I never kept really short hair, I just recently decided to really attempt to gain some growth. The past 5 years or so I've been concentrating on accepting the curl and managing my hair health, and now I'd like to see how long a curly like myself can get my hair. I hope not to get any negative opinions (my hair can look out of control especially in humidity), but I think others will judge my piercings or jeans wardrobe (aka-lack of fashion sense!) before they even mention hair, LOL...Thanks for starting this thread...

bte
July 9th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Another 53 year old here, but I haven't gone grey yet. I last had a trim when I was 39, and decided I was too old for short hair.

Good luck with your journey - enjoy it!

Sally
July 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I'm 53 (54 this year) and am growing out my grey. Definitely, check out the fabulous 50s and sizzling 60s thread..... :cheese:

Anne~
July 9th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I'm 47 and my growth rate is just as good as in my 20's. It is easier to take care of now that it is long too.

DavidN
July 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'm 53 (54 this year) and am growing out my grey. Definitely, check out the fabulous 50s and sizzling 60s thread..... :cheese:

We don't have the fabulous fifties and sizzling sixties thread in the "new" LHC, Sally, and that has been replaced by the "50s and 60s" social group. I hope that you join!

biggeorge
July 9th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Another self described "old fart" here well on the way to including long hair in that description.

Some areas are not as thick as they used to be; other than that I notice no real difference except my knees hurt more often!

Cichelle
July 9th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I'm 40. I started growing my hair, which I had cut short to get rid of relaxed ends, three years ago. My hair is going gray at the temples, but I use henna. At this age, my hair is longer than it has ever been, about hip length when stretched/straightened. It seems to be less curly, but I've supposed that was from length rather than age. Other than that, I don't notice much difference. I haven't trimmed it in years and I'm contemplating doing so at the end of the year. However, I plan to keep it growing for a while. I look forward to having a long braid down my back well into my "old age". :)

This thread is very inspirational!

aprilmay
July 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM
My Dad is 61 and growing his hair out for the first time in his life. My Stepmom doesn't like it, but I say go for it. He finally has enough to pull it back in an elastic and it stays there with product used.

Babyfine
July 9th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I'm 52 and my hair is now about APL- it was past BSL last year but I trimmed back to shoulders to get rid of highlighting damage.
My hair seems to grow as fast now as it did in my 20's- in fact I seem to be able to retain length better now as I take far better care of my hair.
My hair is fine and fragile and breaks and gets damaged easily.

bgarrison
July 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Feralnature- You should check out the 50s & 60s* social group, when possible (with enough posts).... Lots of older peeps there.

ETA:"Silver Hairs" group too
where would i find this group?

thank you!

Radulfr
July 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM
You need 25+ posts to see the social groups.

11 more, and you're in. :)

ETA: the link will then show up on your profile page, right hand side.

Deborah
July 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I am 55 and my hair is about hip length. I have actually always had long hair, and I have no intention of changing that. I don't have much grey, but what I do have looks fine to me. Women with long hair always look beautiful to me, at any and every age. :flower:

sedonia
July 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I"m 42 and I have to admit, a minor motivation for growing my hair out is because everyone says I "can't".

bgarrison
July 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM

thank you! I appreciate the help. :)

GoldenBreeze
July 10th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I'm 50, and have been growing my hair for two years. I don't think it is growing more slowly that it used to. It may be a bit thinner, but it is still rather thick. My current goal is tailbone, but I may let it grow longer after reaching that goal. I believe older ladies with long healthy hair look classy and regal.

Bill
July 10th, 2008, 01:57 AM

Nope. That can't be right. I have well over 100 posts and cannot do that.

FlowerHair
July 10th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I'm 37 and I'm still growing my hair :D
I think it makes me look younger, if anything.
I doubt I'll cut my hair short in the future, unless it becomes super thin or I get sick etc.

Xandergrammy
July 10th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I'm almost 53 and decided to grow out my hair when I was 40. I'm letting my natural colors come in now too. My gray/white/silver is mostly all around my face.

Radulfr
July 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Nope. That can't be right. I have well over 100 posts and cannot do that.

Maybe you should contact a mod to ask what's up.
Permissions are listed here...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1657

busnutmedic
July 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'm ancient (60). However, I have noticed no difference in growth speed. The whites, that are becoming more abundant with each passing day, are curlier and coarser. With gentle care, you should not have too much trouble with breakage. Small trims along the way help also.

Harpgal is inspiring for hair growth and long hair in general :D :D

And not ancient, either! lol.

Bonnie

Martina
July 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I'm almost 51. My hair is SL due to getting rid of layers and going to a blunt cut in April. I can tell no difference in growth or thickness at this age. I am beginning to gray on top a good bit. I do not plan on coloring, perming or highlighting anymore...it is too damaging to my hair.
I'm also trying to lose weight; I think I'll look much better with long hair without the double chins! :rolleyes:

Elenna
July 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I'm growing out hair damage and dye right now. Otherwise, hair seems to be the same texture, growth and thickness.

The biggest age problem seems to be the uneven color. It's silvering from the underneath while the canopy is still mostly brown. I have "racing stripes" on the sides and silver bangs!

I have yet to see anyone come up with a solution for silver bangs.

ETA: Harpgal is ethereal and ageless.

harpgal
July 10th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Harpgal is inspiring for hair growth and long hair in general :D :D

And not ancient, either! lol.

Bonnie
Thank you Bonnie! You have made me smile for the entire day! :flower:

Shell
July 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I'm 44 (is that old?) and I'm just inching past classic. I'm not planning on anything but trims for a few years, then I've decided to maintain or keep going--no rush! I don't see myself as ever having short hair again. Oh, and I have 5 or 6 white hairs. I am not planning on dying them as I like silver hair, and I'm too lazy, and I have too darn much hair to dye it!

MemSahib
July 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I have yet to see anyone come up with a solution for silver bangs.I guess for me they don't need a solution!

I am 57 at the moment :rolleyes: and have been growing for several years. I recently reached classic. I wear my hair up 99.99% of the time when I leave the house so most people probably don't realize how long it is. But then I sometimes use ponytails or braids, so...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/homekeepinggran/Hair/LHCwintersig2.jpg

GoldenBreeze
July 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM

Harpgal, you are regal with one of the most beautiful heads of hair around. You're an inspiration, and I hope my hair will be as beautiful as yours is when I'm 60.

feralnature
July 10th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks everybody, I am more than inspired now:)

I will have my hubby take a new pic soon, to see my 6 months growth. I have really been babying my hair so I think I will have less breakage (my hair is fine) so perhaps I will get good length. Great to know I am in such good company.

Hubby is glad I am growing it out again, he can't believe I ever cut it off. Neither can I!

Silver rainbow
July 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I'm 57 and started growing my hair when I passed 50. It is now tailbone. It stalled at hiplength but has started growing again. My hair sheds but replaces itself so is as thick as before. I don't need to shampoo so often as I used to.

Silky Siren
July 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I am a 54, going on 55 year old man, growing my hair long. A couple of things I notice is that my hair is neither as fast growing or as thick as it was before I turned 50. It also seems to be drier, and of a different consistency than when I was young. (It could be due to the scalp producing less oil as you get older)

However, I know I caused some damage to my hair during the early stage of my hair growing journey, due to too much usage of straightening irons. Some of the dryness in my hair could be due to this earlier damage. Hopefully, with time, and perhaps a trim, my hair will be in better shape.

Also, I have no problem with gray hairs as they grow in, and I rather enjoy my natural silvers and "racing stripes".

So cruel for your hair!
I like grey stripes, I hope I 'll get lucky to get a white stripe in my dark hair, I already have about 6 white hairs... :cheese:

harpgal
July 12th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Harpgal, you are regal with one of the most beautiful heads of hair around. You're an inspiration, and I hope my hair will be as beautiful as yours is when I'm 60.
Oh my, GoldenBreeze! Thank you for your kind words. :flower:

ole gray mare
July 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I don't know what's considered "older" but I am 45. My hair, however, is probably characteristic of someone older! :) I do notice that it doesn't grow as fast or is as thick as it was 20 years ago and the lack of pigment makes it more fragile and lightweight. However, since joining LHC nearly two years ago, I've learned SO MUCH about how to properly care for my hair so it will grow. It is now nearly to my waist and getting better with each passing year. I think I will be at my goal (hip length, thick ends) in two years or so and I'm enjoying the journey. This is a great encouraging community full of folks who really know their stuff about hair, life, etc! :flowers:

LaurelSpring
July 18th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I am 45. I havent had really short hair in about 10 years. I have been hovering a little below shoulders with increasing layers. My LH journey began in earnest when I stopped using chemical dyes on my hair and found Henna 4 Hair. From there I have to give credit to Franng (Thank you Franny..my name is Fran also) for posting at H4H and having her website link in the post. That is where I discovered her lovely site with all of the beautiful updos and found my introduction to how to have long hair (after 40). From there I discovered this site and it has been an obsessive love affair since oh March I think.

I have been so inspired by everyone here and just love my new healthier hair and look. I am amazed at how young everyone looks from the back! When I joined and started reading posts I thought everyone must be so young so it is nice to know there are more of us older long hairs out there.

I havent noticed too much difference age wise other than the gray. Sometimes my arms get more tired trying to do updos.

FrannyG
July 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I am 45. I havent had really short hair in about 10 years. I have been hovering a little below shoulders with increasing layers. My LH journey began in earnest when I stopped using chemical dyes on my hair and found Henna 4 Hair. From there I have to give credit to Franng (Thank you Franny..my name is Fran also) for posting at H4H and having her website link in the post. That is where I discovered her lovely site with all of the beautiful updos and found my introduction to how to have long hair (after 40). From there I discovered this site and it has been an obsessive love affair since oh March I think.

LaurelSpring, I am really honoured that my website inspired you in some way. It is such a rewarding feeling. Thank you. :flowers: I'm delighted that you found your way here, and that you've discovered that not only the young'ns hang out here.

frizzinator
July 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM
As Ole Gray Mare mentioned, my hair is more fragile and lightweight than it was in my youth and I have less of it. My hair had not been abused even though I noticed lots of hair loss during daily washings for more than 30 years. I did not see evidence of breakage from wearing it down, washing, brushing and sleeping on it because periodic short cuts made the halo effect less noticeable, but my hair started looking frizzy in my 40's as it grew longer and the white hairs became more numerous.

After unsuccessfully trying to calm my frizzy hair for several years, ultimately these are the things that seem to solve my problems with frizzy hair and also seem to prevent breakage:

I stopped washing, rinsing and have nearly stopped brushing.

I use horn combs and always start combing from the bottom up.

I hold the comb nearly parallel to my hair (prongs pointed up) instead of at a 90 degree angle (prongs pointed toward head), so that any snags will slide off the prongs instead of being caught by the prongs and breaking hairs. This method of combing makes me comb more slowly, which appears to be more beneficial than I initially thought.

I scritch, massage, preen and wear it up everyday.

I wear a silk scarf around it while sleeping, in addition to sleeping on a silk pillowcase.

I insert hair toys gently, and try not to use the ones that snag hairs. Unfortunately it requires practice to learn how to use hair toys, and there will be breakage initially.

I will make an updo more loose, tweek the directions, change the toy I'm using to hold it or quit making a particular updo altogether if I repeatedly notice myself breaking a hair while making it.

There are lots of updo photos in my album, all of them have been taken since I started practicing the Sebum Only method over 10 months ago.

berr
July 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'll be 51 next sunday. I hardly consider it 'old'. Yes, I have to take 'move free' with msn or some similar products, (whatever is on sale cos they all work the same) to ease my knees. I can keep up with, or usually exceed the younger gals and guys at work. Actually, they have a hard time keeping up with me and ask me where I get my energy from. I need bifocals to read small print. But my hair and nails still grow. I do have a skunk stripe of white coming in the front of my hair and wonder why it concentrated in one spot.

biggeorge
July 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM
I do have a skunk stripe of white coming in the front of my hair and wonder why it concentrated in one spot.

I consider my racing stripes a badge of honor. They are becoming more pronounced.

Xandergrammy
July 22nd, 2008, 07:27 AM
I consider my racing stripes a badge of honor. They are becoming more pronounced.

Me too, biggeorge!!! I love my stripes!!

DavidN
July 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM

Well said, George, and I rather enjoy my silvers as they slowly grow in!

aprilmay
July 23rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
I think it is important to make your appearance and style your own.

harley mama
July 23rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
I am 50 and have been growing for about 2 years or so. I am hip length, heading for tail bone.
My hair was strong, thick and growing at a normal rate until I went
through chemo. I hope it will recover quickly and I can proceed to
classic.

skyhiteri
July 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
56, retired (loving it), getting gray (I deserve it) with stick straight waist length hair. Get lots of compliments on my hair when it is up in a bun, or completely down. I trim about every 6 weeks. My hair growth is no different than when I was younger... a little dryer maybe. I treat it with gentle care and will continue to keep it long. Maybe I will let it get below waist in length????

Teri

Madora
January 5th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I'll be 65 this year and have loved long hair for years. Have had 3 major chops but am working my way back to my original length of 47 inches. I adore braids and prefer them. I'm a george Michael of Madison Avenue fan from back in 1960.

Kudos to everyone for embracing their long hair!

slipperlady
January 5th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I will be 57 this year and have decided to grow my hair long again. My sister is 2 years younger and has hair past her bottom. Our mother is 73 and every 3 years has hair to her waist, which she then donates to Locks of Love and then starts over again.
I know that some older women look bad with long hair but it is because of how they carry themselves and what they do with their hair and how they take care of it (or not).
When I was 27 I was growing my hair long and an older lady told me I was too old for long hair. I panicked, thinking that people were all thinking badly of me, and chopped it off short. Never again would I do that. We all know what we like and where our comfort level is. People are not their hair but our hair can be part of who we are. Does that make sense?

esmay
January 5th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I'm 51 and started growing out my hair almost 2 years ago. I just wish I had done it earlier...I think it looks better by far now...no blowdrying either! I keep checking my rate of growth and it seems to be maintaining at 0.6 inches per month. It's not quite as coarse as it was in my twenties---the only difference I can see.

Honestwitness
January 5th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I'm 61 and have been a member of LHC for almost 2 years. I'm very much enjoying my BSL silver hair. Just today, a young woman at work told me she wants to braid my hair, because she thinks it's so pretty. I took that as a very generous compliment and I would love to have her braid my hair. Maybe tomorrow!

fairy_ends_girl
January 5th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I am 44 and growing my hair too:) My goal is waist. I've started taking hair vitamins along with extra B and Iron. I am also coconut oiling every night.

slipperlady
January 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Honestwitness, your hair is so pretty. I was growing out my natural color, hoping to have hair your color, but it just seemed gray, not silver. So, I crawled back to the dye. Eventually I will get brave and try again.

Honestwitness
January 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the generous compliment, slipperlady! welcome to TLHC.

Celtic Morla
January 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Well I'm 44 and had wist length white blond hir as a child and now intend to grow it back out again. I stopped dyeing it in 2006 chopped it off, gre chopped it off and have decided I prefer long and playful. My BF is adament I grow it back too..so now its about 25"my goal is to my waist or longer if I can get it there! I will post a pic as soonas I get one!!

Celtic Morla
January 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I just remembered a comment one of my clients made a few months ago when he saw my daughters hair one day. He said it reminded him of his mother's hair. He said she always wore it up but once in a while he'd see it down and he said when she was in her 80's it was snow white and the length was at her knees! He thanked my daughter for making him think of his mother's crown of glory(his words not mine!)

skyblue
January 8th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at how many people my age and older are growing their hair long here! I hear a lot about how at my age I really should cut it short....bla bla bla! I don't feel old, I don't think your hair length has to be dictated by your age and I want longer hair! My hair is longer then it's ever been! I am at hip length at the tips! And I'm going on as long as it wants to grow!! Yay for you all!!
umm to the original question, I don't see any change in growth, it has thinned quite a bit, and yes the grays are taking over lol at the moment thats ok I kind of like the silver on dark streaks ;)

LindainCO
January 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I'm fairly new to the forum, and i just wish I'd found it last year! My hair was about 3" longer.
In any case, I have bleached my hair blonde for years, since it started to get dark, when I was about 15. I am 61. I am letting it grow out, partly because I have some itchy bumps that I think might be from the dye.
On the other hand, I am not thrilled with the three-toned hair I have. My natural color now seems to be VERY dark brown, and so I am adding just a few streaks of blonde to transition.
I was looking for long hair today, shopping all over town, and was pleasantly surprised!
I saw two older ladies with long hair, two older men, and at least 4 younger women with very long hair (waist and longer).
I am setting a goal right now of BSL. (Dreaming of waist)