PDA

View Full Version : Dry shampoo?

GlennaGirl
November 17th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Hey everyone. Anybody here use dry shampoo? I'm not looking for a specific brand rec or anything. I have a question about using dry shampoo in general -- the spray in, brush out kind.

Does it dry out the hair over time? I notice most of the cans I've looked at list alcohol early on. If I were to use dry shampoo, it would be for the health of my hair (less washing/less COing) and not because I was in a time crunch or anything. So if it wouldn't help place less stress and drying on my hair there wouldn't be any reason for me to use it.

Thanks for any help!

delsh
November 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I haven't noticed any increased dryness, and I've been using dry shampoo for about a year now. I only use it on my bangs though, so YMMV :) Fantastic invention, in my opinion! But I know some people use cocoa powder or baby powder or cornstarch or something like that instead, maybe try that if you're worried about the alcohol? In my opinion the alcohol is necessary to evaporate the propellent of the powder, so your hair doesn't get wet. I don't see how it could permanently affect the hair - any bit of alcohol that made it through the hair shaft and caused a loss of moisture would just be replace the next time you shampoo. Just my :twocents: !

sbhonda
November 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I have used it a few times and have found that I don't like it. That may very well be due to the one I used though (some Tresemme one). It felt like it just took whatever was on my head and clumped it together. It felt really gross and it never brushed out. It definitely made things worse and made it look and feel more like I needed to wash my hair, so I was better off just not using it.

But I always used it about 3 days after a wash, so it might just have been too much for dry shampoo to handle. I didn't see any point in using it earlier than that, though, because my hair still looked fine. Maybe if you used it each day after a wash even if it didn't seem like it needed it, it would keep things at bay, but I never felt like trying it on hair that I didn't think needed it.

Unfortunately, since I didn't it frequently, I can't say anything about the long term effects on hair. I don't think my hair ever felt too dried out immediately after using it though.

sun-kissed
November 17th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I only use it in emergencies, such as me being on day-five hair and suddenly having to attend a formal event of some sort. I personally do not like it at all. It's bad when it comes to build-up, I can't brush it all out, or even wash it out with WO, I have to use shampoo(which makes my hair very crunchy and bleh.) If I choose to not use shampoo after using the dry shampoo my hair becomes dull and gross, as though it is dirty, even if I wash with cold water and brush it with a clean brush. I just looks and feels... gross, much worse than greasy.

So does it work in cleaning my hair? No. It does the exact opposite.
But it does provide a convincing short-term fake of clean hair, if needed.