PDA

View Full Version : experementing with ACV

Anainwonderland
November 17th, 2011, 06:13 PM
So far im using it in my Indian clay masks for my face and mixing 1/4 cup acv w water and pour on my head after shampoo before conditioner. Am i doing this rite?

And..

Do you use ACV and if so what for and what are the benefits?

cmg
November 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Sounds all right to me. First you wash and remove oils and dirt - second you smoothen the cuticle with the sour rinse and shut in moisture - third you condition to seal.

I do sour rinses too but I don't really care for the ACV smell sometimes. It turns up as soon as there is the tinyest moisture in the air. I use lime juice or oak bark extract. Pretty easy to take with you while travelling also. A lime fruit or some drops in a small perfume-bottle and I'm set for washing at any odd place.

Audhumla
November 18th, 2011, 10:04 AM
1/4 of a cup of ACV ? I don't know how much water you use but unless it's a lot that'd be too concentrated I think. 1 or 2 tablespoons in a large cup of water is better.
I've done ACV rinses and found it helps get the last bit of excess conditioner out so that my hair isn't so weighed down but I can't say I've experienced a great increase in shine which is one of the main supposed benefits.

cmg
November 18th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I've seen solutions from 1:4 to 1:10 and more. If your hair can take it, I guess it's ok for a while. The resulting pH-level is much depending on the water hardiness where you live.

Hair can take acids like this, but not alcalines so much. This is tuffer for the human hair.

Anainwonderland
November 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I use that and about 1L of water? A big empty conditioner bottle full.

It seems to be working well. y hair isnt getting tangled. I noticed its a little bit more shiny. Is that the reason for it?

Cardinal
November 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM
OK, I do it backwards. I shampoo-two tbsp to a half gallon water poured through hair. Then I condition (cone conditioner)
Last I use 1/4 c. acv in half gal water. I dip my length first, then pour over my hair. I get soft, easy to comb shiny hair with lots of lift.

Lissandria
November 18th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I use that and about 1L of water? A big empty conditioner bottle full.

It seems to be working well. y hair isnt getting tangled. I noticed its a little bit more shiny. Is that the reason for it?

You may not need to use 1L plus of water unless you have very long, thick hair I would imagine. 1-1.5 cups is plenty for me :)

The benefits of an ACV or any acidic rinse in theory is to restore the acidic mantle of the scalp post washing (natural skin pH is 5.5 so slightly acidic). Also slight acids have the effect of closing the cuticles of the hair, so they lay flat thus making hair shinier and aiding in sealing in the moisture and giving the hair natural protection. An ACV rinse also removes any residue from your shampoo and conditoner that you didn't rinse off with water. This only applies to residue applied immediately prior to the ACV- it won't have an affect on build-up already on your hair.

There are many different substances that can be used as an acidic rinse. ACV, citric acid, tea, lemon or lime juice drops added to water etc. My favourite is 1 part white vinegar to 9 parts water- this is what works for me.

ETA: I use my ACV mix (white Vinegar) post conditining. I find this gives me the best results.

cmg
November 19th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I use it before conditioning. Maybe I should try it the other way around and see how that works. My lengths are very dry though.

Lissandria
November 19th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I use it before conditioning. Maybe I should try it the other way around and see how that works. My lengths are very dry though.

I always thought it made sense to do it after conditioning, to help seal in the moisture in you've just put in your hair. Maybe try and see? Different things work for different people, though.