PDA

View Full Version : what does a "shampoo and set" look like?

jaine
November 17th, 2011, 05:32 PM
There's a hair salon near me that offers a "shampoo and set" service ... I think I know what it is, but what would the results look like? Does anyone have a picture?
I'm trying to figure out how to wear my hair for an office holiday party and that seemed like it might be a good option so I could wear it down without looking like the massive puffball that I usually look like when I wear it down. :D

ellen732
November 17th, 2011, 05:38 PM
A Shampoo and Set refers to having your hair washed and set on rollers. You are put under a hood dryer and then combed out (sometimes with tease if you are going old school :D).

jaine
November 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Are there any pictures of the finished result? I did google image search for "shampoo and set" but I see mostly pictures of the hair while it's still in curlers ... I was more interested in what the hair looks like when they're done with it.

dulce
November 17th, 2011, 05:46 PM
My mom used to do this weekly between her perms.It ended up feeling very stiff [lots of hairspray used after the set]and unatural looking .No wind would move those curls!They were "set".But a lot of people like that look .

jrk
November 17th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Think short old lady hair. Short and curled :)

cmg
November 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Are there any pictures of the finished result? I did google image search for "shampoo and set" but I see mostly pictures of the hair while it's still in curlers ... I was more interested in what the hair looks like when they're done with it.
There is no one particular look after doing this. It all depends on your hair cut, hair length and texture, size of rollers and the hairdresser that does the job.

ellen732
November 17th, 2011, 05:56 PM
It is definitely a "dated" look for the most part. The bottom line is that it is a roller set, made popular in the 1960's and is still done once a week on an older generation of women. I would say to find a picture you like for a holiday style and take it to the salon for a consultation which is usually free.

jaine
November 17th, 2011, 06:02 PM
That's disappointing...I was hoping it would give me something like my Caruso steam rollers, except better since it's done by a professional. Maybe I'll just try harder to figure out my steam rollers...

ellen732
November 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM
That's disappointing...I was hoping it would give me something like my Caruso steam rollers, except better since it's done by a professional. Maybe I'll just try harder to figure out my steam rollers...

I don't think that you can't get that, it just wouldn't be the wash and set that the salon is advertising. You are looking for a "shampoo and style" which would be achieved by a stylist either using hot rollers, blow dryer and curling iron, or a blow dry followed by letting your hair cool either on velcro rollers or just by putting clips in and then followed by a comb out. A good salon will definitely offer a free consultation so you can discuss what you are looking for.

xoxophelia
November 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Why don't you give pincurls a try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF2Qvfs2Qbk&feature=relmfu

cmg
November 17th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Why don't you give pincurls a try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF2Qvfs2Qbk&feature=relmfu
There is a quicker way to do this: Use a curling iron with suitable diameter (don't actually put heat on it) and snap loosen it when done wrapping.

jaine
November 17th, 2011, 07:10 PM

I'm nervous about anything homemade...I want my hair to look like it was done by a professional.
Maybe I'll just get a blowout...that would work!

jesis
November 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Even though you said you didn't want anything homemade, you could try this for an awesome curly look. Or just try it instead of your steam rollers if they aren't working out for you! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAPHSAPshJE

Avital88
November 17th, 2011, 07:39 PM

oh thanks for this link!! i'm gonna try this one soon:)

CurlyCap
November 17th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I love shampoos and sets! Just writing to give you an different opinion.

Yes, they do just wash it, put it in magnetic rollers, and then release. Older ladies tend to like this brushed for volume. However, some people like it for awesome waves. Basically, they'll spray it with flexible hold and run theirs hands through it to get big curls. The curls will fall into bigger curls and eventually waves.

The biggest thing to realize before getting a set is know how your hair responds to humidity. My hair looks great in the salon, and the instant I step out of the shop, it gets frizzy. Guh.

Also, realize that if your stylist cares about your hair and doesn't want to bake it, you'll be in curlers under a dryer at medium heat for hours. When my hair was waistlength, my dry time was 2hrs. That's why I eventually gave it up.

If you need pictures, a shampoo and set is usually the first two steps in a dominican blowout. Same idea, but the rollers in that case are being used to partially straighten the hair before high wattage hair dryer comes out.