PDA

View Full Version : Fine-haired French/Dutch braiders...

teal
November 17th, 2011, 02:03 PM
...how do you deal with the tangles while braiding, or avoid them altogether? If I have to brush out my hair after every crossover, I think I'm going to go insane. (And have insane shoulders from the workout, too! :p)

A bit of background: I know how to french-braid but I haven't done one in years. I've been checking out torrin's dutch braid tutorial because that's what I always wanted as a kid... to show the braid, not hide it against my head. Then I saw the ribbon thread and was completely enthralled with the pictures, which means I must figure this out!! There's some damage at the end of my hair from heat styling which is probably a good chunk of the problem, and I'm wondering whether I should just get that cut off but my hair has always been tangle-prone anyway so I don't want to blame that entirely.

MandyBeth
November 17th, 2011, 02:07 PM
My hair is cat fine, and I don't get too many tangles while braiding. Undoing the braid can be tangle hell. But the other side of this is I have straight-ish hair. The curlier you get, the harder it gets I think. I can coax and bribe my hair to go to 2b, but it's happy to go to a 1a/b.

moxamoll
November 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I don't know what to tell you. I have fine, pretty straight hair and I just brush it out and then braid it. :shrug: I just sort of finger comb each new chunk into the existing section as I go and voila! The only time it's got tangles when I take it out is if it's inside my scarf/coat for a long time or otherwise getting "rubbed" a lot.

Maybe add a bit of oil or detangler before you braid?

darklyndsea
November 17th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I don't have fine hair, but my hair tangles so much...I separate the ends with my fingers after every time I add hair just enough that it's not a giant ball of hair at the end. Brushing while braiding doesn't really help me because it retangles literally within seconds.

SpinDance
November 17th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I'm not all fine, but as I'm aging it is getting finer, so I'll jump in. Whenever I braid I try very hard not to let tangles happen. Detangle before you start. I almost never even try to comb while braiding (I don't brush). I don't have good luck braiding hair the day it is washed.

At a certain length hair starts to braid back on itself at the ends if you don't separate each section you are working every time you do a turn. Do the turn then just gently run your hand down that section until it drops out of your hand. A little oil applied to hands and hair can help smooth things along, too. Doesn't take much. (Although I do use more when I'm going to be swimming both to help keep the braid from getting fuzzy as fast and to help protect it from the elements.)

spidermom
November 17th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I have to constantly de-tangle and comb out while I braid, too.

Madora
November 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM
As others have said, detangle thoroughly before starting the braiding.

Each time you add a section, take your fingers and move them down the length of the strands, like you were "raking" thru them (but not quickly!). Go slowly!

The more successful you are at keeping the strands separate as you braid, the easier the braiding will be.

You might try dampening your hair with a bit of water to help in the braiding process.

FrozenBritannia
November 17th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I do what Madora said mostly, just pulling my fingers through my hair after every new addition. I tend not to worry about the little tangles,because they beef up my braid and make it look thicker than it is... I do find it tangles less when it is wet and right after being combed though, and with a detangler or leave-on spray (roobios or conditioner, both work for me as a spray on).

Ermine
November 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I find it's helpful to braid your hair when it's damp. At least that way the hair clumps together better for braiding.

Starlight1986
November 17th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I don't know what to tell you. I have fine, pretty straight hair and I just brush it out and then braid it. :shrug: I just sort of finger comb each new chunk into the existing section as I go and voila! The only time it's got tangles when I take it out is if it's inside my scarf/coat for a long time or otherwise getting "rubbed" a lot.

Just this. ;)

jennygg
November 17th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Each time you add a section, take your fingers and move them down the length of the strands, like you were "raking" thru them (but not quickly!). Go slowly!

The more successful you are at keeping the strands separate as you braid, the easier the braiding will be.

You might try dampening your hair with a bit of water to help in the braiding process.
That's what I do.:thumbsup:

teal
December 2nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't get back to this thread to thank everyone for their advice! I'm getting really forgetful these days... if I didn't just have a visitation from Aunt Flo I'd go pee on a stick. Anyway, thanks for the responses and I do truly appreciate every one of them. :o

Yes, my hair does have oil in it most days. I only wash about once a week or so and I do oil treatments quite regularly in addition to using coconut oil on the length and ends. I'll make a point of oiling before braiding to see if there's a difference!

I have to constantly de-tangle and comb out while I braid, too.

Phew, glad to know I'm not the only one! :D

OMG. As I was reading your post a little lightbulb went off in my head... I was hit with a wave of nostalgia and memories of my mum misting my hair with the spray bottle before getting busy with the comb to french-braid my hair. I can't believe this didn't occur to me before now... wow. That is a MASSIVE brain fart. :eek: Thanks for the suggestions!

I do what Madora said mostly, just pulling my fingers through my hair after every new addition. I tend not to worry about the little tangles,because they beef up my braid and make it look thicker than it is... I do find it tangles less when it is wet and right after being combed though, and with a detangler or leave-on spray (roobios or conditioner, both work for me as a spray on).

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have detangling spray but I haven't used it because I was trying out a cone-free routine for a few months. Maybe I'll bring it out for this.

--

I think part of the problem is that I've attempted this right at a time when my hair routine is having to be changed without my approval - haha! :p The coming of fall/winter has accentuated the dryness at the ends and there are some other small changes which together mean I have to make some adjustments which haven't yet been finalized.

I will try again! (After the kids are in bed, so that I can curse my ineptitude in peace... :mad:)