PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp after exercises with helmet on

Darkhorse1
July 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Hey all!
Weird thing happened. This past weekend I was at a show (of course), and I Was coaching clients and a good friend of mine. She showed in the same division I did, and in other classes. We both wear helmets of course, and yesterday, when we got togehter for a pizza party with her three little munchins and chatted about the show, we both found out our scalps were really itchy!!!

I hadn't washed my hair after the show, because it had been feeling a touch dry. I wanted my natural oils to get through my scalp before a wash. My friend said she'd washed her hair twice since the show, and I said her scalp was probably dry.

We both wondered if sweat can make your scalp itchy? I was wearing a more vented helmet than she was, but my scalp was still fairly itchy --even after I washed it. It was a sunny day/clear, and I wear a hat when I'm not in the show ring. But, I've never had a problem before.

Any advice? Tips? Anyone else had a similar situation?

Anje
July 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I think sweat can result in an itchy scalp... The great thing about sweat, though, is that it's not hard on hair, and that it'll rinse out with just water, leaving most of the oils behind.

I think I'd rinse my hair after a sweaty exercise session on a non-wash day, or do my hair washing afterward. Otherwise, you can always just let it dry, BBB or massage your scalp when it itches, and go on with life. Whatever you're comfortable with.

SweetPea88
July 8th, 2008, 12:20 PM
When I exercise pretty hard and get sweaty my head always itches. I don't like to wash my hair too frequently so I often just hop in the shower to wash my body and just quickly rinse my hair, it seems to help.

bex487
July 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Sweat anywhere on my body makes me itchy-I bet that's it! If you don't want to wash, I bet a quick water rinse could take care of the itchiness.

Darkhorse1
July 8th, 2008, 12:58 PM
AWesome! Thanks--I'll try that. For me, though, if I just use water on my hair, it can leave it gummy. Weird huh? Maybe it brings out the natural oils? I try to wash my hair after a show, leaving it dirty before hand, but this time around, I HAD to wash it before hand (hadn't washed it in close to 4 days and with all the oils, I was going nuts with itchyness.)

I'll let my friend know this too--thanks gals! :)

Maravel
July 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I think sweat can result in an itchy scalp... The great thing about sweat, though, is that it's not hard on hair, and that it'll rinse out with just water, leaving most of the oils behind.

I can't believe this has never occurred to me before!

I have actually put off my workout before because I didn't want to have to put my hair through another wash after getting all sweaty and itchy. I'm going to the gym tomorrow, and I'm going to try this out.

Prettyeyes23
August 25th, 2010, 10:39 AM
When ever I play hockey I seem to sweat alot and yes my scalp does get itchy too. When I do a hard work out and sweat alot it get very itchy. I also find if I wait too long between wash days my scalp get unbarebly itchy.

Good luck with the helmet itch!

K

Centaur
August 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I used to get itchy from my riding helmet on a hot day and always assumed it was from the sweat too.

Arianwen
August 25th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Maybe if you're going to rinse with water, use a tiny amount of white vinegar? I've been having severe itchies and rinsed with cool water + small amount of white vinegar yesterday and it was like AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH soooooooooo much better!

Angela_Rose
August 25th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hey, DarkHorse. How did the show go?

In any case, back when I was showing (and wearing a full velvet helmet! Bleh!), I’d get the sweaty-head-itchies and it drove me bonkers. Well, I rode a white horse and kept cornstarch around to powder coat bits of him that would get a little off-color before we hit the ring. If I was going to be around all day, I’d just put a little of the cornstarch into my roots and rub it through with my fingers, skritching my scalp a bit along the way. If my hair looked… powdery after that (usually didn’t), I would just cover it up with a bandana and I was good to go. Definitely helped with the itchies.