PDA

View Full Version : Your hair confidante!

Melanie Marie
November 17th, 2011, 11:58 AM
It's easy to remember that one person who constantly heckles you about your "abnormally long" hair, but what about the the person who always encourages you on your long hair journey? Who do you trust with your hair the most?

For me, the answer is simple: my father. Ever since I was very young I remember how he would sit on the sofa and my sister and I would sit on the floor in front of him and he would brush out our hair. If I ever had a tangle, I would always go to him because he always did a good job. :D When my mom was trying to get me to cut my hair, he always rushed to my defense.

He really likes my hair long, even though he almost never gives me compliments. But that's what makes his compliments so much more meaningful, and that's one of the reasons I keep my hair long. I trust him with my hair more than anyone else in the world.

Who do you trust with your hair the most? Who gives you the most encouragement about growing your hair long?

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 12:01 PM
My husband. He compliments my hair because he knows it makes me feel good. He knows how much it means to me. he thinks it's "cute" that I'm on a hair board. He's glad I have you guys as friends... haha. He's not so impressed with how much I spend on my hair though, or how crazy I get over it... hehe. But he doesn't mind me growing it :) He likes what makes me happy.

WaitingSoLong
November 17th, 2011, 12:10 PM
My husband is the ONLY person I tell about my hair stuff and the only onle who encourages me, not that anyone DIScourages me. I have shared some secrets with my long-haired daughter but she is just doesn't care as much as I do. LOL. However, she has decided to keep growing, I think her hair is longer now than it has been in her 13 years.

MrsGuther
November 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
My husband and my sister are my hair confidantes. :) They encourage me and give me sweet compliments to boost my 'hair self esteem'. :D

Vanilla
November 17th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Definitely my husband and my best friend. My husband loves my hair long, and my best friend has always encouraged me to grow my hair long. She has MBL hair now.

moxamoll
November 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Other than you guys, I don't think there is anyone who is super gung-ho about me growing my hair. My DBF and family are in the "if it makes you happy, then go for it" camp, but none of them are particular long hair advocates.

Oh wait - I take it back. My almost 8 year old niece LOVES my long "princess" hair. She's battling with her mom to grow hers long. She loves to play with mine and is always happy to see it in a style that's new to her.

Diamond.Eyes
November 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM
My fiancé and my mother are definitely my hair confidantes. My mother definitely encourages me to grow my hair out as long as possible. Every time I go over to her house, she tells me how long and beautiful my hair is! But, my fiancé sees all the things I do to my hair and he thinks it's really awesome that I keep my hair long and healthy. He hates short hair on a girl, but he loves my long red hair, and tells me it all the time :D. I love them both! They make me feel excited to grow out my hair! :heartbeat

Yozhik
November 17th, 2011, 03:00 PM
My boyfriend. :crush:

He has encouraged me ever since I told him "So, I've been lurking on this long hair forum -- do you think it would be really weird if I joined?" and is incredibly supportive of my hair goals as they continue to get longer and longer. :)

GabrielleRose
November 17th, 2011, 03:18 PM
My boyfriend.

He used to have long hair, but recently cut it about a month ago. His hair was absolutely GORGEOUS, but he sure does look handsome with short hair. He has decided to grow it back though, and I have to say I would love for him to grow it back because I sure do miss his long mane.

But yes, he is my hair confidante. I have always had short hair, because my mom didn't know how to take care of it when I was younger. I also started cutting it a lot because my hair used to be SUPER thick and the heat would get to me. Now that it isn't as thick (not happy about that) I have decided to grow it out long because of him.

He tells me he would love me to have long hair, and every time I want to cut it he stops me and tells me how gorgeous my "blonette" hair is. He also thinks it's super cute that I am on this forum.

Cirafly24
November 17th, 2011, 03:21 PM
My little sister is encouraging, because she always wants to "be like" me, so when I started growing my hair out, so did she :). I live half a country away from her now, but I still try to encourage her in her hair goals.

My fiance wants me to be happy, so he doesn't say much about my hair, but he occasionally says things like "you have too much hair!" (mostly when he's vacuuming haha!) However, I trust him to be gentle with my hair, and he does play with it once in a while.

Mischamiu
November 17th, 2011, 04:20 PM
My mum, she always gived me nice compliments even when I basically burned my hair

Avital88
November 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
my daughter and my boyfriend both tell me how much they love my hair...and i recently got a BIG complement from woman who is married to my uncle's brother..but most confidantes i find on this board:)

pinupdancer
November 17th, 2011, 07:02 PM
For me, the answer is simple: my father. Ever since I was very young I remember how he would sit on the sofa and my sister and I would sit on the floor in front of him and he would brush out our hair. If I ever had a tangle, I would always go to him because he always did a good job. :D When my mom was trying to get me to cut my hair, he always rushed to my defense.

He really likes my hair long, even though he almost never gives me compliments. But that's what makes his compliments so much more meaningful, and that's one of the reasons I keep my hair long. I trust him with my hair more than anyone else in the world.

That's so wonderful. :) My dad liked my hair long, too.

My fiancé and my mother are definitely my hair confidantes. My mother definitely encourages me to grow my hair out as long as possible. Every time I go over to her house, she tells me how long and beautiful my hair is! But, my fiancé sees all the things I do to my hair and he thinks it's really awesome that I keep my hair long and healthy. He hates short hair on a girl, but he loves my long red hair, and tells me it all the time :D. I love them both! They make me feel excited to grow out my hair! :heartbeat

Your hair is my dream. lol Can I please have natural red hair like you??

As for me, I honestly have no one who encourages me to grow my hair. My DBF wants whatever makes me happy, but he isn't crazy about really long hair. He does, however, get really excited when I do different types of braids. lol So cute.

vanity_acefake
November 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM
My 8 year old daughter. And you girls and guys.
Everyone else either thinks my hair is too long already or doesn't give too hoots.

racrane
November 17th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I don't tell my boyfriend everything that I do, but he supports me even though I know he prefers my hair shorter. It means a lot that he is supportive and thoughtful even when he's not particularly crazy about something. :)

owlathena
November 17th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Most of my friends and family can't care less what I do with my hair. My friend (jacquaala on here) and I are growing out our hair together, so I guess she is my hair confidante!

SomethingCooler
November 17th, 2011, 10:27 PM
My husband, for sure. He loves my hair long, and if it were up to him I'd prolly never get it cut again! I just asked him now "How long is too long?" and he said "I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, I love long hair. I don't think there's anything weird about long beautiful hair at any length"
The only thing he doesn't like is when my hair tries to choke him in the night! :eek:

MonaLisa
November 18th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Nobody in real life i could call confidante :(

DBF loves long hair, and it's clear, and it shows...it means a lot to me, but on the other hand - he's clueless about it..quite dumb..so he doesn't understand much things..and wouldn't understand my efforts. he says things like ' why dont you go totally blonde for a few days?' LOL...and even 'smarter'...when i had bangs and wanted to grow them out he actually asked why i don't just cut them off. Apart from this he IS an intelligent guy, i swear.

Then my dad...hmm we don't talk much, but he kinda almost silently encourages me, and he likes natural care. When i was shedding last year, he bought me my first BBB, I was surprised, not even quite knowing what it is/ why it's good :)

But as confidantes...true ones...i'd say it's people here! I LOVE this community so much!

Modarunner
November 18th, 2011, 01:36 AM
My friend Krissie. I can talk to her about my hair and all the things I've been doing to grow my hair and she always listens. Also, she always mentions how long my hair is getting, which makes me feel good because sometimes it just doesn't feel like it is growing.

Tota
November 18th, 2011, 02:40 AM
My sister, who has waist length hair. She sometimes says that the world is better when you have a good length of hair to protect you. :)

The other one is my boyfriend. When we met, my hair was bleached and cut in a bob. Everytime I asked my bf what would he like me to do with my hair, he said: 'Just leave it be. Don't cut, don't dye.' After seven years and some terrible haircuts and hair colours I decided to listen to him. So here I am :) He is the happiest now when I cut his and my own.

MonaLisa
November 18th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Oh how could I forget...DBF's mother.
She often compliments my hair and not only that, she wants to know what i did to make it look like this, and sometimes asks questions, and then listens to my 'routines' and approves of them and says she wishes her daughter did same or something...
I never start these conversations with her, i am very shy about whole hair thing...but whenever we talk about this subject, she makes me feel good, and is always supportive, unlike my mom, who thinks oils are disgusting, i need to cut my hair, i need to blow dry and style it at salons etc.....

jacqueline101
November 18th, 2011, 06:40 AM
My male friends.

noelgirl
November 18th, 2011, 07:05 AM
My roommate loves my hair! Even though she has to deal with my sheds all over the place. She says I have "hair that can choke a b****" (and means it as a compliment).

Issmene
November 18th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I have a friend who is also interested in natural haircare and growing her hair long, so we talk about hair a lot and she is never discouraging ^^ And a week ago I henna'd her hair :)

Melanie Marie
November 18th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Then my dad...hmm we don't talk much, but he kinda almost silently encourages me, and he likes natural care.

My dad is usually the same way.

HintOfMint
November 18th, 2011, 08:56 PM
My roommate. She's the one who tells me not to cut my hair short whenever I get the "bug," lent me her shea butter, and loves my hair when its big and wavy (even though that's not the most popular option). She's a very honest, but very positive person in general. She lets me know when a trim is good, but also doesn't let other people's comments get me down (for example, when obnoxious people don't appreciate my "poofy" hair).

Helix
November 18th, 2011, 09:17 PM
That would be my sister. We're both growing our hair out so she totally gets my borderline hair obsession...er...um...hobby.

aisha.christine
November 18th, 2011, 09:27 PM
My mother and my DBF. My mom has always been supportive of what I want to do with my hair. When I wanted to hack off my hip length hair as a kid, she was all for letting me. Now that I want to grow it back out, she's equally enthused, and awed at my patience. I live in a really hot place, and have REALLY thick hair, so she thinks it's amazing that I'm growing it out, and has even started growing hers out too. Both she and my DBF know how much effort I have to put into keeping my hair healthy, so when they pay me compliments, they are really appreciated.

DBF helps me do various things with my hair. Today I taught him how to french rope braid, and he willingly braided my hair for me (it actually looked pretty good too!) He helped me do honey treatments a while back, and bought me a set of horn combs for our anniversary. :inlove: He always tells me that he loves that I'm growing out my natural hair color, and compliments how nice my texture looks. (He and my mom always love to point out the occasional spiral curl in my hair. They also both comment on how long it's getting, which is such a nice thing to hear.)

I'm so glad to have both of them on my side. With so many negative things I hear daily, it's nice to be able to have a couple of really good friends that have my back. :)

celebriangel
November 19th, 2011, 05:04 PM
My DBFs M and Loc both adore long hair, have theirs long (MBL), and are really excited to see me grow it out :)