PDA

View Full Version : Too long for Gibson Girl.......

SaucyWench
November 17th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I will be volunteering at our local museum during their holiday open house. I plan on wearing a fabulous Edwardian ensemble and wanted to do some sort of Gibson Girl style. I simply cannot do it myself, so I called the stylist that cuts ds's (age 13) hair.

I explained what I wanted and she said there was no way she could do it for me, I have way too much hair and it's way too long. :-( She is really good and if she says it would be darn near impossible, then it would be.

So, I will have to do something different. I can do some braid styles that would be authentic for the time, but still..................

Darn!!

turtlelover
November 17th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I wish I had your problem! HAHAHA:p

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I wish I had your problem! HAHAHA:p

What I was just thinking...
Sorry, have no advice.

heidihug
November 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM
There are so many beautiful Edwardian styles for long hair, though, I am sure you will find something even more lovely to do with your hair. Personally, I have almost the exact same length hair as you, and I would do fancy side-braids extending back to a big bun. Very authentic and so pretty.

Madora
November 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM
A suggestion of sorts...

Could you rope twist braid each side of your hair, then join them at the back of your head.

Take the remaining hair and using one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2WLNTJnIk4&feature=related

wind up the hair until it reaches where the joining of the 2 rope twists. Pin as needed with large hairpins.

Lastly, you might try pending deeply at the waist and bringing all your hair in front of you. Detangle it thoroughly then comb hair into a ponytail that is positioned on top of your head. Use a scrunchie and ponytail loosely. Move the scrunchie down the ponytail about two to three inches so that when you "moosh" the hair down a little it looks like you're wearing a cap of hair.

Then braid the remaining hair loosely and coil it in a bun around the ponytail base.

The hair should look slightly "poofy" all around with the coiled braided bun nestled in the middle on top of your head.

Panth
November 17th, 2011, 11:53 AM
In the TV series 'Edwardian Farm', the historian Ruth Goodman did an Edwardian hairstyle that would work for very long hair. I believe the clip is available somewhere on the internet (a link cropped up on an 'Edwardian Hair' thread here a few months ago) but I can't find it.

Anywho, the technique is as follows:
- buy a big fat synthetic plait that is long enough to exactly go around your head twice
- sew/otherwise fix the plait into a long loop
- brush your hair out from your crown, so that you have no parting and your hair radiates out all around from a single point on the top of your head
- double the synthetic plait loop up and put it on your head like a crown (it should not be big enough to slip, but not so small it is tight; you can pin it a little if you like)
- piece by piece, lift your hair up over the plait and up to the middle of your head, then twist it into a bun on the top of your head (you could do a cinnabun by pinning the whole lot up, then making the bun; alternatively, you could do a vortex-type bun by bunning each piece before pinning the next)

If you have any messiness, just bung a hat on top and secure it with a hat pin through the false hair.

ravenreed
November 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I use a hair origami but only wrap part way so tendrils hang down. I do it rather loosely so the back is kind of poofy and it looks vaguely Edwardian.

A suggestion of sorts...

Could you rope twist braid each side of your hair, then join them at the back of your head.

Take the remaining hair and using one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2WLNTJnIk4&feature=related

wind up the hair until it reaches where the joining of the 2 rope twists. Pin as needed with large hairpins.

Lastly, you might try pending deeply at the waist and bringing all your hair in front of you. Detangle it thoroughly then comb hair into a ponytail that is positioned on top of your head. Use a scrunchie and ponytail loosely. Move the scrunchie down the ponytail about two to three inches so that when you "moosh" the hair down a little it looks like you're wearing a cap of hair.

Then braid the remaining hair loosely and coil it in a bun around the ponytail base.

The hair should look slightly "poofy" all around with the coiled braided bun nestled in the middle on top of your head.

Purdy Bear
November 17th, 2011, 02:02 PM
My Grandmother used to do a Gibson with waist length hair that was pretty thick. As far as I can remember the only thing that stops a gibson are cow flicks, as the hair wont stay in place.

Have you tried putting your hair into a pony tail at the crown with a hair hand and then winding it round its base and pinning. This is the basic gibson, its just looser so the side hair flops a bit.

How I do the Gibson on my styling head is as follows:

Devide the front hair from the back. Put the back into a high bun at the crown and pin in place. Then take the two front sections (if parting is in the middle) and cross over, then join together twist like you would a cinnamon bun and then wind this round the first bun and pin in place. It makes a relatively flat bun but looks ok to me.

I'll insert a photo if I can find one.

Yozhik
November 17th, 2011, 02:36 PM
LittleOrca has a nice Gibson Pompadour that works on longer hair.

Here's a video link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M77hqKdnQf8), and if you'd like to see my attempt, it's in my album. :)

Also, if you want to do a modified Gibson Tuck, I saw this on one of the longhaired blogs, but I can't remember the name of who does it, but basically, you make a ponytail, then flip the hair through, but rather than stuffing the hair in the pocket, you pull it all the way through, then braid your hair down. Then, you wind the braid through the created loop.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but I hope it helps a bit! :flower:

Magdalene
November 17th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I've done a modified gibson by parting from ear to ear, and putting the back up in a tight bun. Curl the front (you could use rag rollers if you don't want to use heat) and pin the curls in place around the bun, pushing each curl forward to get the pouf.