PDA

View Full Version : Very dry dry ends? Is it "fried"? I just cut it!

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I cut my hair in mid October. 4-6 in and layers. I also cut it during the summer, microtrimming... and in May I had 4-6in trimmed off as well.
All the time my ends feel, fried... dry... and look... bad. They look like velcro... all sticky outy in all directions...

I've tried leaving CO on for awhile, avocado masks, cones, etc. It's not the cones making my hair dry btw... I've stopped with cones for awhile and had the same problem...

I've tried honey masks, banana masks... ACV (helped a bit)... not using shampoo, using shampoo... I already stretch washes for 7+ days. I wear my hair up all the time.

What's a girl to do??? :( Help please hair gurus...

The only thing I haven't tried is aloe...

ABCGlynn03
November 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I have the same problems. HELP!

turtlelover
November 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Is it possible that your hair is getting too much protein?

Madora
November 17th, 2011, 09:15 AM
It sounds like you've been using too many products and that has created buildup.

Try clarifying, then find a product that protects and moisturizes. Try it for 2 weeks and see how your hair responds.

Good luck!

ellen732
November 17th, 2011, 09:20 AM
It sounds like you've been using too many products and that has created buildup.

Try clarifying, then find a product that protects and moisturizes. Try it for 2 weeks and see how your hair responds.

Good luck!

I agree. I think a clarifying shampoo is in order.

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Isn't ACV a way of clarifying?

Also, haven't been using too much protein. It's only in one of my CO's, and I only use it once a month, at the most. My other one has no cones, no protein.

jesis
November 17th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Also, haven't been using too much protein. It's only in one of my CO's, and I only use it once a month, at the most. My other one has no cones, no protein.

Maybe not enough protein, then. If you can get your hands on some greek yogurt, I do an awesome protein mask with:

1/2 cup greek yogurt (plain or vanilla, I just use whatever I'm eating)
1 tbsp oil of choice
1 tbsp honey

Of course, if your hair is longer than mine you can use more. I leave it on for 15-30 minutes. It makes my hair super shiny and moisturized.

Greek yogurt has a ton of protein in it! I love it for this purpose or for a snack. :D You can also add whatever else you want. Sometimes I add coffee or tea to this concoction to help bring out my color.

ETA: Since it's getting cold, if you wear anything with wool on it, that often makes my ends more tangly and dry. I usually wear my hair up a lot more in winter because I have wool scarves and coats and my hair can't handle it.

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Maybe not enough protein, then. If you can get your hands on some greek yogurt, I do an awesome protein mask with:

1/2 cup greek yogurt (plain or vanilla, I just use whatever I'm eating)
1 tbsp oil of choice
1 tbsp honey

Of course, if your hair is longer than mine you can use more. I leave it on for 15-30 minutes. It makes my hair super shiny and moisturized.

Greek yogurt has a ton of protein in it! I love it for this purpose or for a snack. :D You can also add whatever else you want. Sometimes I add coffee or tea to this concoction to help bring out my color.

Hmmm... I tried some Greek hair on the weekend (should have mentioned it above, sorry). Maybe I should give it another try...

ellen732
November 17th, 2011, 09:33 AM

ACV doesn't clarify product buildup. Anytime my hair feels as you describe, I use Neutrogena Clarifying shampoo and my hair gets back to a normal feel. Just use a moisturizing (preferably no cone) conditioner afterward.

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 09:49 AM
hmmm... Are there any clarifying shampoos out there that are organic/natural? and don't contain SLS? I'm allergic. I'm also vegan, so if it's vegan that would be a plus, though I do sometimes use yogurt in my hair...

LocustSpawning
November 17th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I also second using a harsh shampoo as a clarifying treatment. If it's only now and again, it won't do harm. I had the same problem as you due to build up and using Pantenes Ice Shine shampoo pretty much solved everything and now my hair feels like silk again.

Edit: Oops, sorry, we posted at the same time, I didn't know you were allergic to SLS. Hmm, I'm sure you can clarify with baking soda :D

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I also second using a harsh shampoo as a clarifying treatment. If it's only now and again, it won't do harm. I had the same problem as you due to build up and using Pantenes Ice Shine shampoo pretty much solved everything and now my hair feels like silk again.

Edit: Oops, sorry, we posted at the same time, I didn't know you were allergic to SLS. Hmm, I'm sure you can clarify with baking soda :D

Baking soda eh? I'll look into it! Does it work as well as a shampoo? Should I do my entire length or only where I'm having the problem- the ends?

SpinDance
November 17th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I see from your blog that you also dyed your hair recently, and then did a bunch of washings with shampoo and CO's. That will definitely have an impact.

ACV does not clarify. It does some chelation and can help balance pH, but you need to check the pH of what you are trying to neutralize, so you don't make it too acidic. From what I understand if you are using soap based cleansing you probably need it for neutralization. Of course some people get good results using it, but obviously you are having some issues with your results, so perhaps going back to something really simple that you know used to give you results you like for a bit would give you a good base to start experimenting from again.

I'll second the clarify recommendation, but follow it up with something moisturizing that you already know works for you. When you are trying to recover from unwanted results isn't the time to try something new. Do very simple CWC or maybe CO, with things you know give your hair what it needs and let it recover from all the different things it's gone through. Once you have a couple of weeks of good, solid results, start changing one thing at a time. Of course if you get unwanted results stop that and go back, but it can take 2-4 weeks to find out whether something that seemed amazing the first time will really be good long term.

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I see from your blog that you also dyed your hair recently, and then did a bunch of washings with shampoo and CO's. That will definitely have an impact.

ACV does not clarify. It does some chelation and can help balance pH, but you need to check the pH of what you are trying to neutralize, so you don't make it too acidic. From what I understand if you are using soap based cleansing you probably need it for neutralization. Of course some people get good results using it, but obviously you are having some issues with your results, so perhaps going back to something really simple that you know used to give you results you like for a bit would give you a good base to start experimenting from again.

I'll second the clarify recommendation, but follow it up with something moisturizing that you already know works for you. When you are trying to recover from unwanted results isn't the time to try something new. Do very simple CWC or maybe CO, with things you know give your hair what it needs and let it recover from all the different things it's gone through. Once you have a couple of weeks of good, solid results, start changing one thing at a time. Of course if you get unwanted results stop that and go back, but it can take 2-4 weeks to find out whether something that seemed amazing the first time will really be good long term.

Yeah... I did dye my hair and wash it a bunch of times (Have to mention I still haven't gotten all the day out, if I touch my hair I come away with black all over my hands and when I comb their is black dye in my brush! GROSS!). I had this problem before though, so I didn't think to mention it... Though perhaps the dye still being in my hair is aggravating it??

swearnsue
November 17th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Can you switch to henna/indigo for hair color and discontinue the black hair dye? That might make a world of difference. Also, do you take any supplements to add protein, calcium, b vitamins etc to your diet? These things have helped me.

SpinDance
November 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Oy, being allergic to SLS certainly limits you, and wanting vegan products much more so. I'm personally very wary of trying baking soda, because it is very drying. I've already got dryness issues, as you do also, so this could cause you yet more problems.

The dye is obviously having some effect, since it appears to still be releasing after all that washing and time.

Have you read through the troubleshooting article to determine if you actually have buildup? If you don't, then clarifying won't help fix it, just cause more dryness. My hair doesn't seem to build up very much. I found that switching formulations on a semi-regular if random basis kept me from having that problem. I do have dryness issues, but i attribute a lot of it to the fact that I used combs with seams for years. All those hairs with scales stripped off can't keep moisture in very well. I rate fairly high on the porosity test, which makes it easy for moisture to get out of my hair.

I've been using Panacea for over a year now, and that has helped me a lot. I know it doesn't help everyone, but then nothing does! For me, any of the 3 formulations seem to work, but I've not yet done extensive long term testing to see if one formula works better for me than another. I spread a tiny bit between my hands then onto my wet or damp ends and lengths. Now and again I'll apply more before I bun for bed and leave it in overnight as a deep treatment.

I've used other oils, and plan to try still more, but so far, Panacea has given me the most help. I finally got shine all the way to my dry ends using it. With other oils I could only get it to be shiny to just above waist. The last 8-10 inches were fairly matt.

Again, I think that the lost scales from using seamed combs/picks is the underlying cause of a lot of my problems. As I grow out hair that hasn't got that problem, and keep trimming off the part that does, I expect things to get better and better. Unless I want to loose a lot of length, which I don't, it will be several more years before I'll know for sure!

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Can you switch to henna/indigo for hair color and discontinue the black hair dye? That might make a world of difference. Also, do you take any supplements to add protein, calcium, b vitamins etc to your diet? These things have helped me.

Actually I was using henna and indigo before, and that's the reason I used dye- to cover up all the henna and indigo!

Mommyof4
November 17th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I had the same problem. It started when I went cone-free. I'm not cone free anymore, but I found out what other problems caused my super velcro ends. The first time I battled with these type of ends, my hair had been trimmed with thinning shears. The second time, it was because I didn't trim enough off and I trimmed with semi-dull scissors. The third time, it was because I needed to clarify. I too, was using ACV and thought it was enough. I clarified once with a VO5 shampoo, and my hair felt better. My ends started getting bad again, and I started using Matrix conditioner in an orange bottle, my ends felt like new. It's like $25 for the bottle, but a half-dollar size plop is all it takes :) I wash every 3-4 days. Good luck!

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Oy, being allergic to SLS certainly limits you, and wanting vegan products much more so. I'm personally very wary of trying baking soda, because it is very drying. I've already got dryness issues, as you do also, so this could cause you yet more problems.

The dye is obviously having some effect, since it appears to still be releasing after all that washing and time.

Have you read through the troubleshooting article to determine if you actually have buildup? If you don't, then clarifying won't help fix it, just cause more dryness. My hair doesn't seem to build up very much. I found that switching formulations on a semi-regular if random basis kept me from having that problem. I do have dryness issues, but i attribute a lot of it to the fact that I used combs with seams for years. All those hairs with scales stripped off can't keep moisture in very well. I rate fairly high on the porosity test, which makes it easy for moisture to get out of my hair.

I've been using Panacea for over a year now, and that has helped me a lot. I know it doesn't help everyone, but then nothing does! For me, any of the 3 formulations seem to work, but I've not yet done extensive long term testing to see if one formula works better for me than another. I spread a tiny bit between my hands then onto my wet or damp ends and lengths. Now and again I'll apply more before I bun for bed and leave it in overnight as a deep treatment.

I've used other oils, and plan to try still more, but so far, Panacea has given me the most help. I finally got shine all the way to my dry ends using it. With other oils I could only get it to be shiny to just above waist. The last 8-10 inches were fairly matt.

Again, I think that the lost scales from using seamed combs/picks is the underlying cause of a lot of my problems. As I grow out hair that hasn't got that problem, and keep trimming off the part that does, I expect things to get better and better. Unless I want to loose a lot of length, which I don't, it will be several more years before I'll know for sure!

Thanks for telling me your story! Makes me feel better! I plan on cutting the dye out as my hair grows, but this will take about 6 years... What is Panacea ? I tried looking it up, but can't find much except stuff about Greek gods.... Where do you get it?

Diamond.Eyes
November 17th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Do you use cones?

JessL
November 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM
My ends have been like this too and in the past I thought they were damaged and would cut them off. But I have found that adding a little oil as a leave in makes a big difference. I add a couple drops of coconut oil while my hair is still damp.

candycandace
November 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Do you use cones?
I have super dry ends too :/. Could cones dry it out? :confused:

aisha.christine
November 17th, 2011, 10:45 AM
My ends have been like this too and in the past I thought they were damaged and would cut them off. But I have found that adding a little oil as a leave in makes a big difference. I add a couple drops of coconut oil while my hair is still damp.

I suggest this as well. If you braid your hair daily, it's easy to get away with oiling the dry spots without it looking too oily. :p

Kilandra
November 17th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I'm curious to see what works for you. I have used baking soda to clarify and it certainly seems to work but is very drying. I would imagine that it would go well as a prelude to a SMT or other deep moisture treatment. I'd love to try that myself but haven't found the time.

I also used to use henna and indigo. It dried my hair out alot. In retrospect I should have changed the recipe and I was using water that was hard. Hendigo and my Grandmother's wish for me to have my natural color hair back (resulting in a salon trip :doh: ) got me 3 inch hair. Now I'm patiently growing and trimming the highlighted/colored/layered bits.

Must.Stay.Patient!:rolleyes:

holothuroidea
November 17th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I'm not exactly a guru, but I've clarified with BS so I'll share my experience with you. :)

I'm WO and I've done clarifying washes with baking soda. I have really dry hair and I haven't noticed that it makes it any drier. I wouldn't do it all the time, maybe once a week at most. The key is to get the right amount of baking soda in your dilution. Too little and it won't do the job, too much and it will fry your hair. I've found it's best to either leave a very rich oil on overnight before the BS wash, or to wait until my hair is thoroughly coated in sebum. Sebum is better because it helps the baking soda do it's job (it's a mild surfactant), but if you have to be somewhere every day this might not be an option for you.

The oil is important, it protects your hair and helps the baking soda remove the build up.

The dilution I use is 1/2tsp in 4oz water. If your hair is oilier or thicker you might need a little more. Never use more than 1tbsp in 8oz, though.

You have to scrub a little more than with shampoo to really work it in. Use warm water, not hot. Rinse very thoroughly and follow with an ACV rinse. You've done those before so just do what works for you.

ETA: For my dry hair I always use jojoba oil as a leave in. Even on days I don't wash my hair. I oil my hands with 1 or 2 drops and use it to finger detangle, then preen to work it in. Other people have mentioned using oil as a leave in and I agree! I never thought my hair could handle oil but it works really well. It's worth a try.

rowie
November 17th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Have you tried oiling your ends with organic virgin coconut oil whenever they feel dry? Whenever my ends or my hair in general feel dry I plop on the coconut oil. How porous is your hair? I have really porous thick coarse horse hair like hair that I have to oil, otherwise it will feel dry.

krissykins
November 17th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I'm sure that by Panacea, the PP means Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve. She has a 2oz winter blend listed in her shop right now, but I'm not seeing any sample sizes. You can watch her shop for a bit to see if any pop up, or convo her on etsy to ask when she'll have more samples up: http://www.etsy.com/shop/nightblooming

The winter blend has been a lifesaver for my ends. They normally get pretty dry really quick, but I've been using the Panacea since June and my ends have been sooo soft and happy. :)

longhairedlady
November 17th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Im not a guru, but when my hair starts getting a little dry I break out the evoo and drench all my hair in it. It is a big greasy mess but it works! I leave it in for about a day in a bun. Then I WCC it. I mix a pea size amount of condish andequal amount oil and run it through the length of my hair as a leave in. it brings my hair right back. Occasionally I have had to repeat this process if its super dry.

SpinDance
November 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
-dusts of her Enabler Cap- You asked about Panacea. It's a wonderful hair salve made by our own Nightshade, sold on etsy. If you search for it here on the forums there is a big thread about it.

Here is a link to the Winter blend (http://www.etsy.com/listing/86181765/panaceas-hair-salve-winter-blend). She has 3 blends, as I mentioned before, regular, Summer and Winter. The anointing oil is quite nice, too. Here is her blog link (http://nightbloominggarden.blogspot.com), where you can learn about when the Summer and Winter blends are available, among other things.

No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer. I recommend getting the small, 1/2 ounce sample size to see if you like it. As a leave in applied to wet hair the little sample will last a long time. I've ended up using it as lotion as well as hair salve, once I finally accepted that anything I put on my dry hands will end up in my hair. Now I only put stuff on my hands that I don't mind being in my hair and I'm much happier.

Also, be very patient. It just takes time. You've already calculated 6 years to grow out dye, that was my calculation, too. Worst case just put it up and ignore it for a month or so, or a year or so! (I say that, but know I can never do it, I've got to fuss with something about it!)

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I have super dry ends too :/. Could cones dry it out? :confused:

I do, but it's not the cones. My hair likes them. Once in a while.

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 11:19 AM
-dusts of her Enabler Cap- You asked about Panacea. It's a wonderful hair salve made by our own Nightshade, sold on etsy. If you search for it here on the forums there is a big thread about it.

Here is a link to the Winter blend (http://www.etsy.com/listing/86181765/panaceas-hair-salve-winter-blend). She has 3 blends, as I mentioned before, regular, Summer and Winter. The anointing oil is quite nice, too. Here is her blog link (http://nightbloominggarden.blogspot.com), where you can learn about when the Summer and Winter blends are available, among other things.

No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer. I recommend getting the small, 1/2 ounce sample size to see if you like it. As a leave in applied to wet hair the little sample will last a long time. I've ended up using it as lotion as well as hair salve, once I finally accepted that anything I put on my dry hands will end up in my hair. Now I only put stuff on my hands that I don't mind being in my hair and I'm much happier.

Also, be very patient. It just takes time. You've already calculated 6 years to grow out dye, that was my calculation, too. Worst case just put it up and ignore it for a month or so, or a year or so! (I say that, but know I can never do it, I've got to fuss with something about it!)

I'll check her out!!! :D

I'm going to try not to fuss too much... lol... I'm trying to wear it up more so i can ignore it. :rolleyes:

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Oh my! What an amazing store!!! You are such an enabler... lol... :) Too bad I can't order this month... Broke :(

unknown
November 17th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I have that issue too. It doesn't matter how much hair I cut, the ends still feel dry and damaged but there is no visible damage on them...

Sealing the ends has done wonders to my ends. They feel just as healthy as the rest of my hair. I simply add a small amount of conditioner to my wet ends and put 1-2 drops of EVOO on afterwards.

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Just went and got some Clarifying shampoo by Live Clean. http://live-clean.com/products/products.aspx?title=apple%20cider%20vinegar%20-%20clarifying%20shampoo%20and%20finishing%20rinse

and got this as a CO-
http://live-clean.com/products/products.aspx?title=fresh%20water%20-%20moisturizing%20shampoo%20|amp|%20conditioner

Hope it works!

Anisaa
November 20th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I used to have the same exact problem until I started using jojoba oil only on my ends! It has worked wonders for me. I wash my hair, and when its a bit damp or dried I squirt maybe one drop and pat in on my ends only and I am soo pleased with the results.

ktani
November 20th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I agree that it sounds like build-up.

Apple cider vinegar can clarify soap scum and other minerals in water like calcium build-up, not product build-up from waxes and polymers.

The problem with some clarifying shampoos is that they contain polymers and waxes and other ingredients that make them counter productive for a thorough clarifying of the very build-up you want to remove. I have not checked out what you just bought.

Jojoba oil is a liquid wax and can build-up differently to other oils.

Another option for clarifying that may have already been mentioned (I did not read every post) is fully dissolved baking soda followed by any well diluted regular not a pickling vinegar, rinse. Pickling vinegar is much stronger.

Good luck!

Amber_Maiden
November 20th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Just wanted to let you all know the clarifying worked!!! I got so much of the old dye out as well! My hair looks amazing! It's soft again and looks healthy! Thanks everyone! :D

ktani
November 20th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Glad to hear you are happy with the results!

spidermom
November 20th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I'm glad to hear you found a solution!
I wanted to suggest that you try ALS shampoo since you're allergic to SLS.

julliams
November 20th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Glad to hear you found a solution. Every time I see a thread on dry/fried/velcro ends, it always seems to end well with a clarifying shampoo. Good to see that you were able to sort it out given that you are allergic to SLS. If I think back to all those trims that were done because the ends felt this way, it's amazing to think that it could have been due to the very thing the salons give you when you leave - more product.

Ravenwind
November 20th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I also have this problem. Although a couple years back I did fry my hair from straightening it so much and I've been nursing it back to health since I first noticed how bad of a condition my hair was in. I have tried everything from oils, organic shampoo/conditioner, deep conditioners, henna, etc. and nothing seems to work for me. My new growth is very smooth and soft, so trimming for me is the only way to get rid of the dry hair, and I'm kinda starting to wonder if my hair has just become naturally dry at the ends. Not sure if that's possible, but I haven't had a good haircut in years so my hair has been through a lot xD Basically I've been leaving my hair alone, washing with Pantene, and that has helped my hair in some way.

kittymallow
November 20th, 2011, 02:16 PM
have you tried biolage ultahydrating balm? i thougt my hair was fried and it was like velcro all the time.. the only thiung helping me is grapeseed oil and the biolage balm. it has cones but is sooooooo good on my hair.. i have tried everything exept aloe mysel. coconut oil, cone free, co ing, cwc, vinegar rinces ang god knows what.. but right now the only thing helping me the most is the biolage balm:) hope you find somthing that helps. and do not underestimate salon products! they are actually pretty good!

*hugs from fellow velcro*

charchar1711
November 22nd, 2011, 06:20 AM
If your in the UK Naked Detox shampoo is sulfate free and animal cruelty free x