PDA

View Full Version : Spin pins causing damage?

Alacris~
November 17th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Hi everyone! I just have a short question for those who use spin pins. Do you feel like it pulls on your hair (or lose hairs) when you are twisting them in? I have the feeling I'm causing a lot of damage with the spin pins. I can't really explain it, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about if you experienced the same thing!

cheetahfast
November 17th, 2011, 05:52 AM
That only happens if I have wrapped my bun too tight. I think you're talking about when you can feel the tension of your hair while twisting it in, right? I only use one though so I'm not sure if two is different feeling.

Have you tried looser buns?

The closest I've come to real damage from them is when one of mine got interlocked with my umbrella...I got the umbrella uncaught and thought all was well. It turned out that the pin had become misshapen and I could not get it out!! Thank god I had oiled my hair that morning, I eventually coaxed it out. It looked weird, like someone tried to undo the corkscrew shape. I was able to pop it back into shape and I haven 't had issues since then.

Cassie 123
November 17th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I can think of three minor issues that I've had:

1. Sometimes when I cross the pins in my hair, the metal parts come too close to each other and I can feel a hair caught in between, probably getting damaged.

2. If the bun is too tight, the spin pin can splay apart as it goes in, causing all sorts of mischief.

3. They really could have made the pins smoother. If they came out with a version in anodized titanium or with a Teflon coating or something, LHC'ers would certainly be willing to pony up the extra dough.

Still, they seem much gentler than regular hairpins to me.

Alacris~
November 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Mayb I just have cheap ones (ebay).
I already have loose buns, it's just that i feel little hairs being pulled on. I don;t know if they actually snap. Mayb I just need soms practice. I really like them!

SpinDance
November 17th, 2011, 01:47 PM
This thread makes me think someone who knows whoever makes the Amish pins should suggest that they make spiraling hair pins out of the same gauge wire as the current pins...

moxamoll
November 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Interesting. I have the Goody ones (not sure what everyone else is using) and I really like them because they are totally smooth. As long as I avoid doing the things already listed (bun too tight, crossing the pins) I feel like they hold more securely without the damage I get from bobby pins.

PrincessBob
November 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Well I have the Goody brand name ones and some shorter black ones from china. What I find is as I put them in, sometimes they catch and I have to back them out gently and try again. For hold, there's nothing as nice as spin pins. With the ones from china, the ends were cut with wire cutters and not smoothed at all, then they just dunked them in black paint and called it good. This catches my hair on the weird ends a lot so I don't use them much, or ever...
Beyond that, the problem is my hair. Somehow it eats coatings on metal (I had a yellow bronze hair fork that was coated in silver, or nickle or some silver metal, and it wore away to yellow, which sucks because I don't like yellow metals, but still...)and the paint from my Goody pins began to wear away causing rough patches between the paint and the metal. I hardly use them at all anymore because of this.
I have even tried sanding all the paint away, which is very difficult, I'll have you know. After hours of sandpaper on a single pin, it looked much patchier, but still had very fine strips of paint here and there along some of the curves. I tried it and found that it didn't help at all, and so I have about 14 spin pins rolling around the house that I cannot use. This makes me ultimately sad. I agree on the anodized titanium pins with smooth ends, I'd buy a ton of them.

Tried making my own, but apparently I fail at life.. or at lease making hair screws, because not only did they look funny, they wouldn't go in. Oh, well.

excentricat
November 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I think I know what you mean. When I feel like it's pulling on a bit of hair to much as it's going in, I'll back it back out a bit and try again, hopefully not catching the same hair in the same way. Sometimes it'll take me a couple of tries though.

pepperminttea
November 17th, 2011, 06:00 PM
This thread makes me think someone who knows whoever makes the Amish pins should suggest that they make spiraling hair pins out of the same gauge wire as the current pins...

Ooh, I would buy those!

papera
November 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I've never noticed that spin pins damage my hair; on the contrary, I think my hair loves them :o I bought mine in Germany, in Karstadt (kind of a posh wal mart) and I have 4 of them. They are black and very smooth to "spin in". Maybe a bit more practice will help? Or the spin pins you have are not so smooth which may cause damage?

kdaniels8811
November 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I just recieved a pair of spin pins from the swap board and I love them! Now my hair is short and makes a tiny bun but one pin holds it all night while I sleep and I do not see how they could damage my hair, they go in so nicely. These are a keeper for me.

Bunnyhare
November 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM
i had to sand the ends of mine, at first i would back them out and retwist slowly to get them in without catching, but i use them 3 or 4 at a time so i just sanded the tips smooth a touch. i love what they do for hold, but they can scratch my head too if they cross, so i have to put them strategically and carefully. they hold loose ends in great! also, placing them slower any way helped all of that!

AngelDella
November 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I have the goody spin pins, both the mini and the regular size. I think they are perfectly smooth and only rarely do I have to back them out and redo them when I feel a "tug" on my hair. I know they are kind of expensive, but I now think they are well worth it! I just make sure I don't lose them :) I like using them for cinnamon buns and I also use a couple to stabilize my lazy wrap after I put in an acrylic hair stick...holds beautifully and pain free ALL day!

Chetanlaiho
November 20th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I worry about similar issues with my spin pins, but I have cheap knockoffs so I figure I may need to invest in the Goody ones xD

Alacris~
November 21st, 2011, 01:18 AM
I worry about similar issues with my spin pins, but I have cheap knockoffs so I figure I may need to invest in the Goody ones xD

I'm beginning to think the same thing. They are sharp on the edges and really really cheap. I thought there wouldn't really be a difference except for the brandname and price, and it wouldn't hurt to try. But I think I may also need to invest in the goody ones:P

tigereye
November 21st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Only on one of mine. The little plastic bobbly-bit came off the end of one side, and it always seems to catch on something. Besides which, the ones I have are too light-coloured for my hair. The local Morrisons store is now carrying most Goody items, though, so come payday I'll be heading out to buy a new set.

Marjolein
November 22nd, 2011, 04:03 AM
There's a huge difference in quality in the knock-off China spin pins and the original ones. The knock-offs damage my hair each and every time, the Goody ones have never damaged a single hair.

Alacris~
February 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I bought the real goody spin pins. They are awesome! And I don't feel a single hair 'snap'!! :D

dwell_in_safety
February 6th, 2012, 01:29 PM
The Goody ones work wonderfully for me. I use them every night for my sleep bun. If Goody spin pins cause problems try a slightly looser bun.

woolyleprechaun
February 6th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I honestly have never had a problem with them. I find that by making sure my hair is smooth and tangle free to start with, they are fine. If I twist them into a messy bun (after oiling or whatever) I do worry they will catch a hair. All in all, we get along just fine :)