PDA

View Full Version : In love with eggs

piratejenny
November 17th, 2011, 02:11 AM
After trying to transition to WO for about 5 months I caved a few weeks ago and started egg washes.

I LOVE it. I don't think my hair has ever been as nice. Super soft, bouncy, shiny (!!!), no frizz, I'm even inclined to claim that my weird mullet (I'm growing from pixie) looks almost like a hairstyle...

This is what I'm doing: mix one egg yolk well with 1 table spoon white vinegar, distribute mix in my towel dry hair, put shower cap on, wait 10 minutes, rinse, done. My hair stays (almost) perfect for three days and I can go another one or two days when putting it up. I rinse with warm water and there is no egg smell at all once my hair is dry (and certainly no bits of scrambled egg :D)

Sounds good, huh? Well, I'm starting to get worried that it's almost too good to be true. Am I missing something here? Am I damaging my hair in some way that can only be seen after a while? A table spoon of vinegar seems awfully acidy (I'm no chemist) will that do harm in the longer run?

Who can share more experiences? Maybe some pointers to potential pitfalls?

julliams
November 17th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I am very intrigued by this - watching this thread.

maria_tasha
November 17th, 2011, 03:29 AM
this sounds nice and I'm glad it works for you. I don't think it damages your hair in any way - the egg yolk has a lot of protein and nutritive properties. I sometimes use the egg yolk with a little olive oil as a mask and works wonders. For cleaning thou it's a little tricky for me since I have greasy hair. How are your roots? do you have dry or normal scalp?

Aveyronnaise
November 17th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I'm allergic to sulfates and I had to wait for my sulfate free shampoo to come in to my local store. It ended up talking like 2 months due to some issues, so I decided to use egg wash.
I used a recipe from here
1 TBSP honey
1 egg plus one egg yoke
1 Tbsp lemon juice.

My hair was en pointe the whole time I used it and I plan on using it again all next summer. It made my hair so freaking bouncy and shiny! I never really had a problem with it , it does require a lot of cold water rinsing which I am not interested in doing in the winter .
But as a whole I think it performed better than the majority of shampoo that I have used.

PriscillaCherel
November 17th, 2011, 04:21 AM
I never tried that! I only used Andrélon Egg when I was younger(my mother bought it). I let it know when I tried it.

longhairedlady
November 17th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Ive never heard of this. I am curious now! :)

piratejenny
November 17th, 2011, 04:58 AM
this sounds nice and I'm glad it works for you. I don't think it damages your hair in any way - the egg yolk has a lot of protein and nutritive properties. I sometimes use the egg yolk with a little olive oil as a mask and works wonders. For cleaning thou it's a little tricky for me since I have greasy hair. How are your roots? do you have dry or normal scalp?

Prior to my 5-month WO stint I would have classified my hair as extremely oily (washed in the morning it was basically greasy at night). Even though WO didn't work out for me in the end I think the complete lack of anything on my scalp did help to normalize its oil production so now I can go 4 to 5 days between washes. I don't know if my results with eggs would have been the same prior to my WO experiment, though... Now my hair, roots and all are perfectly clean.

I'm allergic to sulfates and I had to wait for my sulfate free shampoo to come in to my local store. It ended up talking like 2 months due to some issues, so I decided to use egg wash.
I used a recipe from here
1 TBSP honey
1 egg plus one egg yoke
1 Tbsp lemon juice.

My hair was en pointe the whole time I used it and I plan on using it again all next summer. It made my hair so freaking bouncy and shiny! I never really had a problem with it , it does require a lot of cold water rinsing which I am not interested in doing in the winter .
But as a whole I think it performed better than the majority of shampoo that I have used.

I've been reading a lot of recipes that include honey and the egg whites. For myself I decided to go with as few ingredients as possible and maybe add more later to see the impact of each individual ingredient. I haven't gotten around to trying honey and leaving in the egg whites, yet. Actually I have to admit that after having rather horrible hair for so many months doing WO I enjoy my current routine a bit too much to experiment a whole lot :cool:.

I have experimented with the length I leave the egg on and found that 10 minutes is best. Less feels less clean and longer doesn't seem to add any benefit.

Do you know what the honey is supposed to do? maybe it would be easier to wash out without it? I use warm water (no different than what I used to use with shampoo) and I have no problem with that whatsoever...

tori93
November 17th, 2011, 05:12 AM
i love eggs to. I use 1 egg, 5 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 of honey. It makes my hair really soft and shiny :)

Long_Curls
November 17th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I think eggs are a super food and have a lot of value when eaten for optimal hair. They are packed with the key nutrients for hair growth and quality and taste awesome.

Never tried them on my hair though.

kettle
November 17th, 2011, 05:27 AM
The only thing I can think of is that you might experience some build-up after a while. My hair also loves egg, and I went through a phase in my second year of LHC of ALWAYS using egg in my wash. I would whip it into my conditioner, or make an "egg shampoo" out of it with honey, vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice. It made my hair look and feel amazing. At the time, it completely baffled me when my hair went "weird". Now I know it must have been protein build-up.
I wonder if this would be the case with you... you are just using the yolk, wheras I was using the whole egg - so maybe this would make a difference? I think I'm right in saying the white has more protein, whereas the yolk is very moisturising. Would the vinegar be enough of a clarifier if you're using it every time?
I'd just say enjoy it, and adjust what you're doing when your hair tells you to. Sounds like you've hit on something good :) I now only do egg treatments for special occaisions, mostly because I can't be bothered with the faff and expense of eggs for every wash - but eggs are definitely my favourite treatment.

Stessie
November 17th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I've heard of using egg WHITES, as a wash but never egg YOLKS. O.o I know that you can use the yolks as a hair mask.

How often do you do this? Once a week? 'Cause I'd love to try this but I'm afraid of the build-up. [Due to all the protein] :\

I know that, if you use vinegar in larger quantities and too often...It can actually make your hair dry. Which, I doubt is what you're going for. :P

I'd maybe do this, as a 'special' wash/mask once a month or something. [Seeing as, egg yolks are extremely nourishing, for your hair.] I'd probably only add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. of ACV ['stead of white vinegar], though and some EVOO. I would want to add honey, as well, 'cause I love the stuff BUT winter is fast approaching and my hair would NOT love the honey. :P

piratejenny
November 17th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I've heard of using egg WHITES, as a wash but never egg YOLKS. O.o I know that you can use the yolks as a hair mask.

How often do you do this? Once a week? 'Cause I'd love to try this but I'm afraid of the build-up. [Due to all the protein] :\

I know that, if you use vinegar in larger quantities and too often...It can actually make your hair dry. Which, I doubt is what you're going for. :P

I'd maybe do this, as a 'special' wash/mask once a month or something. [Seeing as, egg yolks are extremely nourishing, for your hair.] I'd probably only add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. of ACV ['stead of white vinegar], though and some EVOO. I would want to add honey, as well, 'cause I love the stuff BUT winter is fast approaching and my hair would NOT love the honey. :P

Haha, well, I can tell you that yolks only work pretty well for me. I've been doing it every 5 to 6 days so far (I've only done 5 washes in total, though) with no other washing methods besides. The last but one was not quite as good, but then I left the egg on for 5 minutes only. I found 10 minutes worked best. So far leave-on time has been my only testing variable.

I must admit that I have no idea what protein build-up would look like. Are there any early warning signs?

The amount of vinegar will be my next variable to test. I'll try to reduce it to the minimum necessary. I have not noticed any dryness so far, but why use more vinegar than I have to.

More things I plan on testing are using ACV instead of WV, adding honey, using the egg whites as well. At my current washing frequency this should keep me busy for a while :D

RedheadMistress
November 17th, 2011, 12:05 PM
- Wow, egg is so bad for my hair, just makes it awful :S But I don't mix it with things...

Dark Rapunzel
November 17th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Would one still use conditioner with eggs though? I know eggs are supposed to be good for your hair, but is that all you do?

einna
November 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Very interesting. I think I just found my next experiment ;). I will probably make a sort of combined mask/wash with it. I am thinking a whole egg, some honey and ACV. My hair loves both moisture and protein, and hates to much rinsing, so I always try to combine my washes and treatments. For example, when I SMT, I use it as my CO to.

And by the way: Hairforums must be the only place one can make a thread called "In love with eggs, without anyone raising an eyebrow! ;) Hehe.

trillian
November 17th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I occasionally go the egg white route to get rid of buildup in my hair. It works really well for me.

And by the way: Hairforums must be the only place one can make a thread called "In love with eggs, without anyone raising an eyebrow! ;) Hehe.

No to derail too badly, but this made me laugh. I used to be on another hair forum, and there were a lot of vegans. I never really thought much about how the two might conflict until one lady made a post about how she loved using eggs in her hair, and a couple of us chimed in with the "me too!" song and dance.

One of the Mods of that particular forum went off on us about how terrible we were, because we were using unfertilized animals on our hair, and how she'd rather have ratty hair than take advantage of a critter, and how we should be ashamed of ourselves, and be more courteous to other people who were sensitive to critter issues. Which then turned the thread into a cluster.

So Einna! Careful!

Please note - this attempt at a humorous anecdote was not meant to be hurtful to any vegans who may be reading this. More of an amusing reminder to myself that people can get worked up over just about anything, no matter how innocuous you think you sound. :run:

Yozhik
November 17th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I love egg washes, too!

The only reason I stopped doing them is because eggs are kind of expensive, and I like to eat them more than I care to whip them up before I shower. :o

My recipe was:

1 whole egg (white and yolk)
1 TBS ACV
1 TBS Sunflower oil OR Olive oil

My hair was nice and bouncy. Once or twice I had some albumen residue in my hair, so for those who want to try, just remember to rinse it out well. :)

Oh, and when I asked if I would get protein overload by doing it every wash, I was told that the proteins in eggs are larger than the proteins that you have in shampoos in conditioners -- the ones in shampoos are designed to be small and penetrate the cortex, while the egg proteins should just coat the cuticle (if I'm remembering this correctly). So, basically, people told me I should be able to do this every wash with no repercussions. :)

jennygg
November 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I love egg washes, too!

The only reason I stopped doing them is because eggs are kind of expensive, and I like to eat them more than I care to whip them up before I shower. :o

My recipe was:

1 TBS ACV
2 TBS Sunflower oil OR Olive oil

My hair was nice and bouncy. Once or twice I had some albumen residue in my hair, so for those who want to try, just remember to rinse it out well. :)

Oh, and when I asked if I would get protein overload by doing it every wash, I was told that the proteins in eggs are larger than the proteins that you have in shampoos in conditioners -- the ones in shampoos are designed to be small and penetrate the cortex, while the egg proteins should just coat the cuticle (if I'm remembering this correctly). So, basically, people told me I should be able to do this every wash with no repercussions. :)
I am going to try this!

Yozhik
November 17th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I am going to try this!

I hope you like it!

And, I rechecked my recipe just to make sure I wasn't leading you astray, and it looks like when I did it, I only did 1 TBS of oil.

And some people add aloe vera, water, or essential oils. Just an FYI if you want to experiment.

-- I'll also go and change my post to have the correct amount of oil! I hope you read this before you experiment. :)

jacquaala
November 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Yay! I've found my new plan for this weekend. Egg hair. Veeery interesting. I'll use up what little EVOO I have left, but I'll have to buy some ACV..

I have very fine hair does anyone have suggestions for "secret ingredients" specific to that type?

:blossom: I am new and "blossiming" on LHC :)

Amiblue
November 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I love egg washes, too!

My recipe was:

1 TBS ACV

What length and thickness does this do? Do you just poor over your head or massage it in? Allow it to soak in covered or not or just rinse? CO after? I am experimenting with too many things at once! :D

jacquaala
November 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM
ummm. *blossoming

Yozhik
November 17th, 2011, 08:46 PM
What length and thickness does this do? Do you just poor over your head or massage it in? Allow it to soak in covered or not or just rinse? CO after? I am experimenting with too many things at once! :D

I just whipped it all together and poured it over my head, concentrating on the roots and gently massaging it in. I believe I just secured it out of the way while I continued with the rest of my bath stuff, then turned the water to cool (remember this step!) and rinsed it out thoroughly (otherwise you might still have egg particles in your hair).

No need for CO or additional cleansing. I've done this after heavily oiling my hair, and it gets everything out. :)

My hair is ii/iii (~3.25-3.5" circumference) and it was around waist length when I tried this, so it should definitely be enough unless you have really long or thick hair. :)

Jacquaala, if you don't have ACV you could give citric acid or lemon juice a try -- I've seen recipes that use that instead. No advice concerning extra ingredients, though, because I have medium to coarse hair.

piratejenny
November 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Guys, I hope you'll post your results if you test this. I'm currently on day 3 after wash and my hair is still good. It really doesn't seem to like getting wet too much :D

I love hair forums for that. I've actually found myself chuckeling while I wrote it :cool:

My recipe was:

1 TBS ACV

Yozhik, do you know what the honey is good for specifically? I'm just wondering because as far as I can tell right now it doesn't seem necessary for the cleansing.

moon2dove
November 18th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I am due for a hair wash this weekend. I think I might try an 'egg shampoo' But I might twick it a bit. This is what I thought I might do :

1 Egg (yoke & white)
1 Tbls Lemon Juice
1 Tbls Coconut Oil

What do you think? :)

piratejenny
November 18th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I've heard that coconut oil is pretty much a miracle "drug" for hair for a lot of people and I've also read a lot of eggy recipes that include some type of oil (olive mostly) so - even though I have no personal experience with this concotion - it sounds perfectly viable to me.
:stirpot:

The reason why I started out with the yolk & vinegar only was that I wanted to learn the impact of each individual ingredient. Suppose I should have started with yolk only, huh? Maybe I'll do this next time around.... As for oil, well, I'm kind of new still to the LHC kind of way and my hair has always been so oily that I still have kind of a mental block in my head to intentionally add even more. :o

Please share your results if possible. I'm really interested in other people's experiences :)

pinupdancer
November 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I am so going to try this. lol

Yozhik
November 18th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Guys, I hope you'll post your results if you test this. I'm currently on day 3 after wash and my hair is still good. It really doesn't seem to like getting wet too much :D

I love hair forums for that. I've actually found myself chuckeling while I wrote it :cool:

Yozhik, do you know what the honey is good for specifically? I'm just wondering because as far as I can tell right now it doesn't seem necessary for the cleansing.

Honey is a humectant, so it isn't added for cleansing benefits, but more likely to help the hair retain moisture. That would be my best guess. :)

I am due for a hair wash this weekend. I think I might try an 'egg shampoo' But I might twick it a bit. This is what I thought I might do :

1 Egg (yoke & white)
1 Tbls Lemon Juice
1 Tbls Coconut Oil

What do you think? :)

Sounds like a good recipe. :)
I would just make sure your coconut oil is completely liquid when you do this (since it can be solid at room temperature). Because of that, some people use it less often in winter, because it can resolidify on hair if you put a lot on and go into a cold environment. Nevertheless, I doubt a tablespoon would make a difference, especially mixed with lemon juice and egg and then washed out. :)

moon2dove
November 20th, 2011, 01:59 PM
On Saturday I did an Egg Shampoo;

1 Whole Egg
1 Tbls Coconut Oil
1 Tbls Lemon Juice

Air Dried

My hair was really soft and manageable. I will definitely do this again, maybe once a month :)

blondie9912
November 20th, 2011, 06:12 PM
For some reason I feel like eggs would work better on virgin hair.

The top layer of my hair has been heavily bleached, highlighted, and then dyed over, so it's obviously quite dry. The underside of my hair has never been coloured, and feels pretty much amazing all the time.

I tried an egg shampoo (one whole egg, a tablespoon of olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon) and my dyed hair felt AWFUL. Let me say it again... just BRUTAL! Tangly, rough, dry, literally could NOT comb through it!

My underside felt lovely though. Remind to me try this again in 3 years when all of my dyed hair has grown out :D

piratejenny
November 21st, 2011, 03:30 AM
For some reason I feel like eggs would work better on virgin hair.

The top layer of my hair has been heavily bleached, highlighted, and then dyed over, so it's obviously quite dry. The underside of my hair has never been coloured, and feels pretty much amazing all the time.

I tried an egg shampoo (one whole egg, a tablespoon of olive oil, and a squeeze of lemon) and my dyed hair felt AWFUL. Let me say it again... just BRUTAL! Tangly, rough, dry, literally could NOT comb through it!

My underside felt lovely though. Remind to me try this again in 3 years when all of my dyed hair has grown out :D

Agh, I'm not sure I'd consider my hair virgin :cool:. Up until last spring it was regularly dyed and highlighted and generally abused by excessive shampooing and rough brushing etc.

On the other hand it is virgin in the sense that I haven't used any product other than acidic rinses on it for 5 months and my sebum production is fairly low. I'm not sure how this would have worked out for me coming straight from a daily S/C routine.

I did another wash this morning with only a teaspoon of white vinegar (instead of a tablespoon). I can't detect any difference, so less vinegar it will be :D

GabrielleRose
November 27th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I tried this today after I did a heavy oiling with castor oil. I think I will skip on the castor oil, it is waaaay to heavy for me.

Anyway I found a recipe from this thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40386&page=10 from the user Katja. But I tweaked it.

Katja's recipe:
1 whole egg
1 tsp honey
1 tsp aloe vera gel
1 tsp glycerine
1 generous squeeze of lime juice
7-8 drops of ylang yland EOMy recipe:

1 whole large egg
1/2 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp aloe vera gel
1/2 tbsp glycerine
1/2 tbsp lemon juic
10 drops spearmint EOSo, far I like it. It didn't really get all the castor oil out so I may just do another wash tonight. :p But I am already seeing great volume!

Dragon Faery
November 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I'm going to watch this thread, and maybe try this!

Thanks for sharing :)

piratejenny
November 28th, 2011, 03:40 AM
My recipe still is very simple:

1 yolk
1 tea spoon white vinegar
whipped frothy, applied to towel dried hair and left on for 15 minutes

I know that I said that 10 minutes leave on time worked best, but after my most recent washes I will change this to 15 minutes. I am still very, very happy with my results and so far (after a month exclusively using eggs) I have not had any issues with dryness. My hair has never before been as soft and bouncy as this.

My plan is to start adding honey with my next washes to see what that does. I can hardly imagine how an improvement could possibly look like, though :D.

tigereye
November 28th, 2011, 05:21 AM
It's a perfect excuse to use up the egg yolks after the christmas-dessert-baking-session. I ALWAYS make meringues, and my other bakes tend to go a bit strange with just yolks. We get fed up of making omelettes with them, so on my head they'll likely be going.

luvnaz
January 4th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I'm going to try this in a little while when I shower. I think I'll use 1 yolk, 1 tsp ACV, 1 tsp honey.

A friend of mine sent me an email this morning about life 100 years ago...one thing the article mentioned was that back then we didn't wash our hair but once a month and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo!

Time for me to get back to basics and give it a try! Thanks for the tips & recipes!

WinterTree
January 4th, 2012, 10:35 AM
This is interesting. My hair has never liked eggs so much. But I have never just used the yoke. I would like to try just the Yolk and Vineger and see what happens. :)

wishywashy
January 4th, 2012, 10:51 AM
oh man! these recipes look interesting. Will have to try this soon! Thanks!

Calaelen
January 4th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I washed my hair, for 2 years straight, with egg and lemon juice. One whole egg, and a fresh squeezed lemon whipped up and put on dry hair for 30 mins then rinsed with cool water. It was my hair miracle, I never had a single issue except for once or twice using water that was too hot and the egg cooking in my hair..lol. Usually did and ACV, but no conditioner after this, once hair air dried I would apply either coconut oil, or grapeseed as needed for some extra protection on my last 6-8 inches.

Then one day for some idiotic reason I decided to start using shampoo and conditioners again, many many different ones...my hair wants to go back to my natural recipe, and after I am done using up my stash that is what I'll do. It was my perfect routine.

Also, my hair hasn't been virgin in 13 years...I do not believe this affects the way this regimen works. And, my hair did not build up anything, it stayed perfect the whole time, I'll never know what persuaded me I needed chemical junk in my hair again, but I was WRONG.

Honey is supposed to be a moisturizing agent...my hair hates honey so I never went there..and the recipe I originally had called for EVOO too for moisturizing as well, well my hair hates that more than any other substance it's ever had on it, so I took that out too. My hair type doesn't require extra conditioning beyond the pH balancing that I get from an ACV rinse, and occasionally a very small amount of previously mentioned oils used sparingly on my ends.

MegaMystery
January 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I'm going to try this with a whole egg, just using the yolk seems wasteful to me as just the white doesn't make a very tasty omelette... I wonder about the look on my BF's face as i go into the shower with an egg...

AngryVikingGirl
January 4th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hi!
Before I went WO, I had been washing my hair with eggs for a year. My hair is the greasy type, but it worked perfectly. I washed my hair with a full egg, wrapped my head in a towel, left it for 20 minutes. After that, I rinsed it out with water. Then I rinsed with ACV - about one deciliter ACV in one liter of water. Wrapped in towel again to dry a bit, then air dry. (and brushed with a wide-tooth brush, must admit, I still wet brush) My hair was nice, good texture and my shedding significantly decreased. When I went to see the stylist after some months, she said that my hair was in surprisingly good condition. So, ACV didn't hurt my hair in that concentration. I think egg worked as a shampoo and conditioner in one, my hair was easy to comb. The scrambled egg pieces were easy to brush and shake out, there weren't too many of them. I could go for about 3 days, which is good I guess but I wanted to go back to weekly wash, which I had been able to do earlier. Egg wash didn't solve this one, as now WO is starting to do the same to my hair, hehe. Cleans my hair, like shampoo did, then egg, now water, but only for a few days...
I might go back to egg washes though for the winter, as I'm living in a town with hard water and it's really disappointing to fail at achieving a clean hair feeling.
And from egg wash it's easier to transition to WO. :)

All in all I'd absolutely say go for it.

Ohh, and to spread the egg to all of my hair, I put my ends and length into a mug containing the egg, then gently rubbed them to my scalp hair.
I hope I was help.

AngryVikingGirl
January 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM
A friend of mine sent me an email this morning about life 100 years ago...one thing the article mentioned was that back then we didn't wash our hair but once a month and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo!
Would you mind sharing this article? If it's no trouble. I'm reallly interested in it. :) Thanks in advance.

prairiechild
January 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM
So I was all excited about this as we live in the country and have more fantastic free-range chicken eggs than we can eat... I was telling my husband about this and he says "do NOT do this, I will not sleep with you if your hair smells like eggs". I'm thinking the vinegar kills the egg smell, what do you think? Does your hair smell like eggs??

luvnaz
January 4th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I'm going to try this in a little while when I shower. I think I'll use 1 yolk, 1 tsp ACV, 1 tsp honey.

Time for me to get back to basics and give it a try! Thanks for the tips & recipes!

I'm not sure I'm in love with egg washing...

I used 2 yolks, 2 Tbls honey, 2 Tbls Olive oil, 2 Tbls ACV. Wisked it and shampooed with it. I didn't leave it on very long. Then rinsed it out really well.

I might try it again with only 1 yolk because it's drying now & I can smell the egg. Also it doesn't seem very soft.

But it's a whole lot better for my scalp than regular shampoo which leaves my scalp dry, tight and super itchy!

JadeTigress
January 4th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I really, really want to try this. But I have a concern. Forgive me for being a complete n00b, but I thought honey lightened your hair? Or is that only if you use it a specific way? I don't want my hair lightened at all; if anything, I'd love to get it darker.

WinterTree
January 4th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I really, really want to try this. But I have a concern. Forgive me for being a complete n00b, but I thought honey lightened your hair? Or is that only if you use it a specific way? I don't want my hair lightened at all; if anything, I'd love to get it darker.

I believe honey needs to be combined with water to create the peroxide to lighten hair. It also needs to be left on for a long time, I think closer to an hour. There is a honey lightening thread if you want to check it out. But if your concerned then leave the honey out. There are a couple of different recipes floating around this thread, some don't have honey in them. :)

piratejenny
January 5th, 2012, 12:48 AM
I'm still on board and I still haven't changed my recipe (still haven't tried honey) because it works just so well and I'm so addicted to the bouncy softness :D

So I was all excited about this as we live in the country and have more fantastic free-range chicken eggs than we can eat... I was telling my husband about this and he says "do NOT do this, I will not sleep with you if your hair smells like eggs". I'm thinking the vinegar kills the egg smell, what do you think? Does your hair smell like eggs??

In my experience it smells as long as the hair is drying and I can't smell anything after it's dry. If I get wet in the rain later or sweat while exercising I might get a whiff later on but I doubt your DH would be able to smell anything. I'd try without telling him :cool:.

I also noticed that the fresher the egg the less smell I get, so if you have access to fresh free-range eggs ... wow (* city dweller salivating here *) It's not a good idea to use an old egg that you wouldn't eat any more.

My own DH is very much opposed to all my hair experiments by the way and is fundamentally convinced I'm growing at least salmonella (if not worse - whatever that may be) on my head. I've pretty much stopped talking about what I put on my head in his presence and the other day even he had to concede that my hair has vastly improved since I started on "the hippie trail" :D

I'm not sure I'm in love with egg washing...

I used 2 yolks, 2 Tbls honey, 2 Tbls Olive oil, 2 Tbls ACV. Wisked it and shampooed with it. I didn't leave it on very long. Then rinsed it out really well.

I might try it again with only 1 yolk because it's drying now & I can smell the egg. Also it doesn't seem very soft.

But it's a whole lot better for my scalp than regular shampoo which leaves my scalp dry, tight and super itchy!

Why don't you try the bare bone recipe with just yolk and vinegar. That way you'll be able to tell if the result you get is really from the egg. Add more ingredients later if you know what the simple recipe does for you. Otherwise it's possible that your hair simply doesn't like olive oil and you conclude that eggs are't for you...

the.fee.fairy
January 5th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Today is hair wash day, so i'm going to take a tip from you lovely LHCers.

I'm going to try:

1 egg
1tbsp Oil (i think it's sunflower and olive)
1 tbsp Honey
and 1 tbsp of something i think is apple vinegar. I think it was supposed to be wine, but it tastes more like vinegar...

I shall report back later.

the.fee.fairy
January 5th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I tried it, but didn't like it. My hair felt really sticky and dry while it was wet, even though i washed the egg mixture off with conditioner.

I've got it back to somewhere near normal now, but the roots still feel heavy.

Oh well.

luvnaz
January 5th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Why don't you try the bare bone recipe with just yolk and vinegar. That way you'll be able to tell if the result you get is really from the egg. Add more ingredients later if you know what the simple recipe does for you. Otherwise it's possible that your hair simply doesn't like olive oil and you conclude that eggs are't for you...[/quote]

Thank you! I will try that...because I have a feeling my hair does not like the olive oil! But my scalp is a lot less itchy so this is worth experimenting with :)

moon2dove
January 5th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Today is hair wash day, so i'm going to take a tip from you lovely LHCers.

I'm going to try:

1 egg
1tbsp Oil (i think it's sunflower and olive)
1 tbsp Honey
and 1 tbsp of something i think is apple vinegar. I think it was supposed to be wine, but it tastes more like vinegar...

I shall report back later.

If your hair was sticky while still wet. I would suggest using less honey. The honey might have been too much for your hair.
Only a suggestion, because every time I used it, I had the same sort of results. After a few trial and errors, I found my hair doesn't like honey at all in these winter months.
Hope this helps :D

the.fee.fairy
January 5th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I'll give it a go in a month or so.

I'll take up the suggestion to try the ingredients separately.

Calaelen
January 6th, 2012, 12:54 PM

Not at all with my mix. the ACV leaves a slight scent until hair is dried, but you wont get an egg smell at all, and when I didn't follow with an ACV rince my hair had no scent at all..then I started adding EOs to it :) in that way I got lovely smelling hair that was in it's most perfect state ever!! BPAL can also be used for this.

piratejenny
January 6th, 2012, 12:55 PM
So I "finally" found a downside to my beloved egg washes -- TRAVELLING -- :?

I have to travel for work every now and then - mostly to the US - and I just realized that taking a raw egg on that flight would not only be a bit of a pain but probably illegal anyway...:ponder:

Alternatively, trying to get my hands on ONE egg once there in some business hotel in a large city would be an interesting challenge - but probably more of a challenge than I'd be willing to deal with after a trans-atlantic flight :brains:.

I guess there are no simple solutions, huh :cool:

*Shuffles off to research good alternatives to / combos with eggs*

ALongSummerWind
January 6th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Egg washes? I have put eggs in my hair for about 6 hours before washing does that count?

Dragon Faery
January 7th, 2012, 07:38 PM
So I "finally" found a downside to my beloved egg washes -- TRAVELLING -- :?

I have to travel for work every now and then - mostly to the US - and I just realized that taking a raw egg on that flight would not only be a bit of a pain but probably illegal anyway...:ponder:

Alternatively, trying to get my hands on ONE egg once there in some business hotel in a large city would be an interesting challenge - but probably more of a challenge than I'd be willing to deal with after a trans-atlantic flight :brains:.

I guess there are no simple solutions, huh :cool:

*Shuffles off to research good alternatives to / combos with eggs*

Would it work to get a half dozen, use one or two, and eat the rest for breakfast? Most supermarkets sell half-dozens, at least in my part of the US. Or maybe you're not here long enough for even that to be practical.

Bri925
January 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Ok sorry to be a dum dum here, but are you washing your hair with it? Using it as a leave in or using it before you wash? Sorry to be so confused.

Kyla
January 7th, 2012, 08:24 PM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh1jzh6q911qce45go1_500.jpg

I suppose this really isn't funny unless you watched the show growing up...but your thread title reminded me of "Debbie" from the Amanda show. :P

swearnsue
January 7th, 2012, 08:33 PM
The thought of putting raw egg in my hair sounds gross. BUT if it works, then it's worth a try. Maybe someday.

piratejenny
January 8th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Calaelen, thanks for sharing your experience. It's really good to hear that this does seem to work lomg term. I'm still kind of waiting for something odd to happen as it almost feels too good to be true :D

Would it work to get a half dozen, use one or two, and eat the rest for breakfast? Most supermarkets sell half-dozens, at least in my part of the US. Or maybe you're not here long enough for even that to be practical.

I'm afraid not. :( I don't wash very often and so for a stay of a week or less I really only need two eggs max. I have never stayed anywhere where I could have cooked my own breakfast with the remaining eggs. I briefly wondered what would happen if I used room service to order one raw egg, though and while I really giggled at the thought I wouldn't want to rely on it :D.

I did a wash with Rhassoul clay today (very easy to transport) and my results were ok but not quite what I get with the eggs...

Ok sorry to be a dum dum here, but are you washing your hair with it? Using it as a leave in or using it before you wash? Sorry to be so confused.

I am washing my hair with it. Give it a try :D

I suppose this really isn't funny unless you watched the show growing up...but your thread title reminded me of "Debbie" from the Amanda show. :P

Ugh, you totally lost me there but it's the diversity of people is what makes me enjoy this community so much.
:beercheer:

Rilig
January 8th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Kyla! Oh my gosh, I burst out laughing at that! Made my day!

piratejenny
January 28th, 2012, 02:42 PM
So I've finally "expanded" my basic recipe of 1 yolk plus 1 teaspoon of white vinegar with a tablespoon of aloe vera gel. Í picked the aloe vera gel as the next ingredient for no better reason than coming across it in a drug store a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, I'm not sure yet what to think. It's not a fantastic, noticeable immediate improvement over the basic recipe in any event. I'm not quite sure what I should expect anyway. I read that aloe vera is mosturizing, but how exactly does that effect the hair?? (I'm still kind of new I guess). It doesn't seem to have any negative effect and so I think I'll just add if for a few more washes and if I can't detect any difference by then I'll stick with the basic recipe and maybe finally try honey...

Celebrian
January 28th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I just saw this thread! I'm on the egg trail myself atm. The reason is that having stopped henna and having used Color B4 remover to clear some of it out - my hair was so floppy and feathery. Really seemed to lose weight and volume.

I thought about using protein in some form and remembered eggs. I've done a sort of egg mask/wash two days in a row now - and can certainly vouch for increased volume. I shampooed mine out and used conditioner to follow (thought you needed to balance protein with moisture or hair could get crunchy)!

I may try without conditioner next time.

Anyway, I used:

A full tablespoon of Marilyn Hair Mask from Lush
Added one egg
Dessert spoon honey
Same of Olive Oil
Beat thoroughly

Applied this on clean, dry hair from roots to tips and left one hour.

Tepid water rinse to get mixture out, followed by shampoo and conditioner.

I'll keep going with these, maybe weekly. Will update. ;)

Pazita!
January 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I love egg too! I alternate between my Poofy Organics Shampoo and egg yolk. A lot of my friends use egg yolk too and it is true it leaves hair shiny, soft, and bouncy!

renee2day
January 28th, 2012, 08:41 PM
:yumm:
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh1jzh6q911qce45go1_500.jpg

The Amanda show was a funny sketch comedie show. We still say "I like eggs" around here on occasion as a humorous nonsequiter.