PDA

View Full Version : My Dermatologist told me my hair is thinning :(

Revontuletar
November 17th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I have supected and expected my hair to be thinning for quite a while, as I have been taking the drug roaccutane for my acne. I had an appointment with my dermatologist yesterday and he looked through my hair and told me it had indeed thinned. He didn't really see it to be a big deal though, since it's "not permanent," and I tried to explain to him how long it takes hair to grow, but since he was a short-hair he just didn't get it *sigh*

Apparently it has only thinned a bit, but having already very thin hair to begin with just makes me anxious. I'm not stopping the drug though, because as I told him I would rather wear a wig than have acne again:( At least then I could change colours and styles whenever I wanted, I guess...

Chamy
November 17th, 2011, 02:19 AM
:grouphug: I feel for you Revontuletar!

How long are you going to take the drug for, you said it was just temporary? Just baby what you've got and take care of yourself. Maybe find some nice hairstyles to sport that looks great for your hair? I hope you feel better soon, and that your hair will grow back ASAP! :flower:

dili
November 17th, 2011, 02:22 AM
i took the same medication some years ago...it did nothing for my hormonal acne...my hair recovered in 6 months after stoping...but mine just got dry

summergreen
November 17th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I really feel for you. Its such a pain (understatement!) when meds have these kind of side effects. I think its good, though, that you know what your priorities are instead of being in agonies of indecision about whether to go on taking it or not.

I really hope your hair gets better soon - is the drug making it very dry? Like Chamy says, baby it and yourself, maybe treat yourself to some special oils or conditioners or something?

Revontuletar
November 17th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Thank you so much for your kind replies!
Dili, that's awful that it did nothing for your acne :( Fortunately for me, my acne has virtually disappeared and I am on only the smallest dose (10mg). Nothing else ever worked for me. I tried topical treatments, antibiotics, contraceptive pills, everything! I hate acne so much and it has been such a relief to me that this has cleared it. Since I am on a low dose, though, I have to take it for longer than most people. I have been on it about 6 months, maybe a little more, and ideally I should be off it by January.

My dermatologist, whose hair is about 2 inches long, just doesn't get that the ends of my hair are about 5 years old, and for every hair that falls out, that hair will take five years to grow back! It doesn't help when I have been through such a stressful time over the past few months which only adds to the shedding problem :( I have anxiety problems as it is, but the past few months have been exraordinary.

My hair does get quite dry, so I do regular SMTs and oil it every day which helps combat that a lot.

sbhonda
November 17th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I'm thinking about going on accutane soon. It was something my doctor suggested a while ago as a potential option. My acne isn't horrible at this point, but I've had it for 10 years and it just won't go away no matter what I do. I've also started getting cysts in the last year, which I've never had before, so it's definitely not starting to get better on its own.

I do worry about it drying out my hair though because I guess it'll basically get rid of all the oil on my scalp, at least while I'm on it. I personally don't really worry about losing hair because I have way too much to begin with, but I don't want to be growing out dry, crispy hair. I guess I would just step up my oiling, put oil closer to the roots, and wash even less often, probably without shampoo. It'll be worth it if I don't have to use a medicated cleanser, a medicated toner, a medicated treatment, a moisturizer religiously twice a day and be on hormonal birth control for acne, and still have acne despite all that. Topical prescriptions never did anything for me either.

turtlelover
November 17th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I'm not normally an extension fan, but have you thought of some clip in extensions to add some volume? Maybe it could help you get through the time when you are on the medicine until your hair starts to thicken up a bit?

pes3108
November 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I took an 8 month course of 80 mgs of Accutane ... a really high dose that I now realize I didn't really need because my acne was more hormonal than anything and could've been treated with Spironolactone (what I am on now and am thrilled with the results) and avoided a lot of trouble. After my course of Accutane, my hair shed like CRAZY! I had really thick hair and while it is still pretty thick, nothing like it used to be. Also, I feel like the texture of my hair changed from each hair getting thinner than before. It took about 3 months of being off the medication for my hair to stop shedding. I did some research online and the extremely high doses of Vitamin A in Accutane is what causes your hair to shed and thin out.

roundforest
November 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I feel for you with the acne, Revontuletar. I tried loads of treatments too, vitamins, diets... Twice-daily antibiotics for 6 months seemed to make a small improvement, but when I told my doctor so he immediately decided I didn't need to take them any more. Within a couple of weeks my skin was as bad as ever. I gave up on medical help at that point and just lived with the spots until I finally outgrew them at the age of 35. I'm glad you're going to get some time with clear skin before the wrinkles set in, unlike me! :)

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I feel your pain. I was on accutane for 2 years. HELL. Wrecked my body so much. It will grow back. :)

headtrip_honey
November 17th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I feel your pain. I was on accutane for 2 years. HELL. Wrecked my body so much. It will grow back. :)

What doctor on god's green earth would let you be on that stuff for TWO YEARS?

It is a hellacious med. I took it last year, experienced hair loss issues. (Back to normal, happy to report, although I lost some hair density)

It also wrecked my immune system - I was sick nonstop for like six months after I took it.

To the OP: Unfortunately, only time, a proper diet, and taking care of yourself mentally as well as physically can repair this kind of hair loss.

So, get enough sleep, eat right (protein is important!), and try not to stress. I know, easier said than done.

MsBubbles
November 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I have supected and expected my hair to be thinning for quite a while, as I have been taking the drug roaccutane for my acne. I had an appointment with my dermatologist yesterday and he looked through my hair and told me it had indeed thinned.

First of all, :grouphug:

I'm sure you know your hair better than anybody else, including your doctor, but I'm just curious, how did he look through your hair and determine it was thinning? Does he know you very, very well, so could compare it to last time he saw you? Otherwise, I have never really had any doctors who could remember me enough to know what my hair looked like before.

Was there some sort of determining factor or method he used to make his conclusion?

Sorry for the questions - feel free to ignore them if they annoy you (not my intention), and I hope you can find a resolution soon! :flower:

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 01:45 PM

It is a hellacious med. I took it last year, experienced hair loss issues. (Back to normal, happy to report, although I lost some hair density)

It also wrecked my immune system - I was sick nonstop for like six months after I took it.

To the OP: Unfortunately, only time, a proper diet, and taking care of yourself mentally as well as physically can repair this kind of hair loss.

So, get enough sleep, eat right (protein is important!), and try not to stress. I know, easier said than done.

I know eh? It was crazy. First I was on it for a year, and it didn't work... Well, it worked, and then 4 months later it was back, so I went back on it... For another year. It really wrecked my body. I was a mess afterwards. I had scary scars, and my hair was gross... The way I looked was gross... It was just bad... I think they've taken the stuff of the market if I'm not mistaken?

Mesmerise
November 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
On the subject of acne, did you ever try any creams containing azelaic acid (sp??)?? I ask, because I used on years ago (can't remember the name of the cream, but I do remember the active ingredient...go figure) and it worked SO WELL compared to everything else I tried (which was just about everything EXCEPT accutane, I did try Retin A but nothing stronger).

And as for your hair, I am sure it WILL recover, and I totally understand how you feel. I am still down over my hair shedding which ended over a year ago, because even though my hair at the roots has thickened up reasonably well (I still have some areas where it doesn't seem normal though), it will take forever for it to look "normal" again.

headtrip_honey
November 17th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I know eh? It was crazy. First I was on it for a year, and it didn't work... Well, it worked, and then 4 months later it was back, so I went back on it... For another year. It really wrecked my body. I was a mess afterwards. I had scary scars, and my hair was gross... The way I looked was gross... It was just bad... I think they've taken the stuff of the market if I'm not mistaken?

No, not true. Roche is no longer making brand name Accutane (the patent ran out, so it's no longer a profit maker), but they are still manufacturing generic versions.

Were you on a super low dose? That's the only way I can think that a sane doctor would have you on it that long.

Revontuletar
November 18th, 2011, 02:35 AM
First of all, :grouphug:

I'm sure you know your hair better than anybody else, including your doctor, but I'm just curious, how did he look through your hair and determine it was thinning? Does he know you very, very well, so could compare it to last time he saw you? Otherwise, I have never really had any doctors who could remember me enough to know what my hair looked like before.

Was there some sort of determining factor or method he used to make his conclusion?

Sorry for the questions - feel free to ignore them if they annoy you (not my intention), and I hope you can find a resolution soon! :flower:
Before I went on the Roaccutane, I told the doctor I was very worried about the hair loss factor. He looked through my hair at that stage and told me he would look at it again after I had been on it for a few months and tell me how it was progressing. I'm not sure if dermatologists have some way of telling how thin someone's hair is by looking at it, but he is a very good doctor and I don't think he would tell me if my hair is thinning without having a reason to. He did say that it had only thinned a little. I have been noticing abnormal shedding on and off for the past few months, so I am not surprised he said that.

pes3108 - You were on 80mg!? Ouch. I was on 20 at first but my mental state and moods seemed to be effected by it, so I was reduced to 10mg, which is going great apart from the hair loss.

turtlelover - I have never been much of an extension fan either, and I would be quite afraid of them damaging my hair. It is a good idea, but I don't know if I would want to risk it. I might consider it if my hair gets any worse, but for now I think I can do without them.

Gingerbear
November 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Since high dose vitamin A increases hair shedding, I wounder if using Rogaine temporarily a few days a week would help to counteract the shedding?

Revontuletar
November 25th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Since high dose vitamin A increases hair shedding, I wounder if using Rogaine temporarily a few days a week would help to counteract the shedding?

Rogaine? Is that the stuff people use to grow hair back when they are going bald?

Gingerbear
November 25th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Yes--another name for it is minoxidil. It increases blood flow to the follicle and causes hairs that are in the "shedding" phase to shift into the "holding" phase. Maybe it would help to decrease your shedding.

PixxieStix
November 25th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about that! I am glad you know which is more important to you though, and I do have to say, they make some amazing wigs now a days! I wore them myself for a couple years, and it was so much fun to switch it up from day to day, endless hairstyle possibilities. I could have a blonde pixie cut for work during the day and auburn BSL curls for going out that night.

Not gonna lie, it isn't as much fun as having your own hair, but there are a few upsides to them.

PixxieStix
November 25th, 2011, 09:25 PM
GAH! Double post. Stupid internets being all wonky on me.

allio21
November 25th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Have you tried other things for acne? I was on the pill and cured my acne AND my hair grew faster and it seemed thicker. The down side to that was that I gained like 10 lbs after being on it for a year.

UltraBella
November 25th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I took an 8 month course of 80 mgs of Accutane ... a really high dose that I now realize I didn't really need because my acne was more hormonal than anything and could've been treated with Spironolactone (what I am on now and am thrilled with the results) and avoided a lot of trouble. After my course of Accutane, my hair shed like CRAZY! I had really thick hair and while it is still pretty thick, nothing like it used to be. Also, I feel like the texture of my hair changed from each hair getting thinner than before. It took about 3 months of being off the medication for my hair to stop shedding. I did some research online and the extremely high doses of Vitamin A in Accutane is what causes your hair to shed and thin out.

Spironolactone is amazing for hormonal acne ! What dose are you on ? I am on it for my PCOS.

I have several clients who have been on it for a year, had a small break, followed by another year. One of them had a serious side effect of migraines but the other three I can think of did just fine, except for the normal chapped lips and dry eyes. All four had amazing results, skin wise.
I have a handful of clients who were on it shorter time periods, with varying results, but it really is a miracle for some.

hototogisu
November 26th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I strongly recommend you start reading the Women's Hair Loss Project - http://www.womenshairlossproject.com/ - if only for support and advice. I also suffered medication induced hair loss, though it was from birth control and it took place over a much, much longer period of time.

My big takeaway: doctors need to start taking hair loss seriously. ****, at the time I was doing my fieldwork in a hospital - I talk medicine, and if I research a condition online I do it through pubmed, not google - but my concerns were still roundly dismissed by a range of doctors.

My 2c on minoxidil - you can't just use it a couple of times a day. It must be used twice daily, and you won't see results until after four months. Moreover, it is *unpleasant* stuff to use. It's smelly, sticky and makes your roots look permanently oily. I quit after three months. Also, there's no guarantee it'll work on medication induced hair loss.

Arm yourself with knowledge. Consider going off Accutane. Then march into your dermatologists office and DEMAND he hear your concerns and address them.

alyanna
November 26th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I was on Accutane my first year of college and that's exactly when my hair transformed and became "thin hair".

This medication also caused depression for me. Not a pleasant little pill.

Revontuletar
November 29th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Have you tried other things for acne? I was on the pill and cured my acne AND my hair grew faster and it seemed thicker. The down side to that was that I gained like 10 lbs after being on it for a year.

I tried the pill, the only thing it did for me was make me constantly nauseous. It didn't do anything for my acne. I've tried everything, and roaccutane is the only thing that's worked. It truly has been a miracle for my acne. Only thing is, now I have to deal with my thin hair being thinner.

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about that! I am glad you know which is more important to you though, and I do have to say, they make some amazing wigs now a days! I wore them myself for a couple years, and it was so much fun to switch it up from day to day, endless hairstyle possibilities. I could have a blonde pixie cut for work during the day and auburn BSL curls for going out that night.

Not gonna lie, it isn't as much fun as having your own hair, but there are a few upsides to them.

Haha, I'm loving those bouncy, curly, crazy-coloured wigs that are currently very popular in cosplay and Japanese street fashions. The only reason I don't wear them already is I prefer to have real long hair, as opposed to just cheating by using wigs and extensions. I'd be super happy having awesome hair all day, even though it's obviously a wig, but as soon as I got home and took it off I'd feel depressed that it wasn't my real hair. But it would be fun to have wigs in all colours of the rainbow, having a different style every day.

I was on Accutane my first year of college and that's exactly when my hair transformed and became "thin hair".

This medication also caused depression for me. Not a pleasant little pill.

I have a cocktail of mental health problems already, so I can only be on the lowest dose. Even 20mg sends my moods crazy. Did your hair ever recover and get its density back?

Susana
November 29th, 2011, 05:10 AM

Same thing happened to me(hair). Be careful, it dsoesnt always grow back, Google it, you will find lots of people talking about it online. Best of luck.

Revontuletar
November 29th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Same thing happened to me(hair). Be careful, it dsoesnt always grow back, Google it, you will find lots of people talking about it online. Best of luck.

****, Now I'm really worried :scared:

headtrip_honey
November 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I have several clients who have been on it for a year, had a small break, followed by another year. One of them had a serious side effect of migraines but the other three I can think of did just fine, except for the normal chapped lips and dry eyes. All four had amazing results, skin wise.
I have a handful of clients who were on it shorter time periods, with varying results, but it really is a miracle for some.

I just meant that Accutane is HIGHLY regulated, and that it is very irregular for a doctor to prescribe Accutane for that long, unless it's a low dose (ie, 10 to 20 mg a day).

Accutane DOES work wonders for some. No argument there. I'm not anti-Accutane, heh. It worked okay for me - great while I was on it, but I still have to work hard to keep clear skin. That, plus the anxiety from hair issues? Not worth it, for me.