PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid static in hair when wearing it down?

jenjen10
November 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I bought a few really pretty gauzy tunics recently to wear and wore my hair down the other day while wearing one of them... holy static!! I am thrilled my length is long enough to have to worry about the fabrics I wear but... how do you combat the static?? Oiling? cones?

I would like to be able to wear my hair down from time to time but am afraid my hair will be a staticky mess all winter. Any recommendations?

Amber_Maiden
November 16th, 2011, 07:02 PM
cones work for me, and aloe.

Kelikea
November 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM
You can put a little bit of liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle and dilute it with water. Spray your clothes with it, where your hair might rub. You can also spray a little on your hair. Another thing that might work is washing your hair with oil-shampoo. It is supposed to cut back on static.

jenjen10
November 17th, 2011, 05:36 PM
You can put a little bit of liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle and dilute it with water. Spray your clothes with it, where your hair might rub. You can also spray a little on your hair. Another thing that might work is washing your hair with oil-shampoo. It is supposed to cut back on static.

Hm... I might have to try this! I remember hearing a long time ago about spraying hair with static guard but this seems like a more "hair friendly" method. :)

pinupdancer
November 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
The trick I've used since middle school is simple: run a small amount of hand lotion through length of your hair. I haven't had any damage from this, and it takes 2 seconds. :)

jacqueline101
November 17th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I used to take a dryer sheet and rub it over your hair used to work for me.

ssjhotau2
November 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Second the dryer towels. I use to do that- but when I switched to pre-wash oiling and CWC my static problems went away.

cmg
November 17th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Rubbing something on the hair that leaves negative iones would do it (because the hair has positive ones facing out). But also silicones. I use silicone spray on underwear that makes dresses cling. I can't use hand cremes because I'm allergic to all sorts of cremes and lotions. So cones I guess, are the answer for hair static to. Winter is a pest. :cool:

Perhaps a spray with very diluted fabric softener and some aloe vera?

Vanilla
November 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I use fabric softener sheets on my hair in the winter too. Shea butter also works well for me too because of its consistency.

uglypug
November 18th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I use silicone spray on underwear

Heehee I read this as "spray-on underwear":D

cmg
November 18th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Heehee I read this as "spray-on underwear":D
Ha ha! You do know silicone has no color, right? :D

uglypug
November 21st, 2011, 06:27 AM
Dang, I thought I'd accidentally come up with a fantastic new invention! :D
Although I think someone recently made a spray-on t-shirt, no idea what it was made from:confused:

Lilli
November 21st, 2011, 06:51 AM
Don't use oil. That gives me major static. I second the hand lotion.