PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

longhairedwolf
November 16th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Hi there,

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find the answer using the search function. What exactly is considered shoulder length? Is it when your hair reaches the part where your shoulder meets your neck, or is it when your hair is the same length as the outer edges of your shoulder? There's a difference of a few inches between the two, so I'm curious.

Thanks in advance! :)

jujube
November 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
As with all other lengths, there are slight variations. All bodies are shaped differently. I see shoulder as being the outer edges of my shoulders, the lowest point.

cheetahfast
November 16th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I waited until my hair brushed my shoulders to call it shoulder length. I think when it's only touching the lower nape of the neck it's too short to be called shoulder length.

Mesmerise
November 16th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I see shoulder length as when your hair hits your shoulders (when you're wearing it loose and natural... curlies with thus have longer hair at shoulder length than straighties :D).

At least, this is how I always saw it!

Yozhik
November 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Well, I don't know if this will help or not, but when I was younger I went to the hairdresser's and asked to get my hair cut to shoulder length. I was at APL at the time, and thought it would make a radical difference. But the lady cut my hair by pulling it to the tips of my shoulders on either side of my head, so actually my hair wasn't that much shorter. :shrug:

What I learned later was I wanted a haircut where the ends brush the shoulders, but that's usually considered to be shorter than shoulder length.

Anyway, there's a lot of latitude with any of these measurement terms, so go with what you're happy with. :)

Amber_Maiden
November 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM
hair brushing shoulders is shoulder length.

longhairedwolf
November 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks so much for all your responses, guys! Looks like I'm not there yet :(

Ah well, maybe in a few more months.

Happy growing!