PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed

MonaLisa
November 16th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I gave Coconut oil a second chance...had it on for a few hours and did a CWC...My hair isn't dry yet, it's drying slowly...but ends feel dry and crunchy ( is that a word?), and it made my hair straight....

Is it that it doesn't work on fine hair?
Or maybe I have a bad oil...

Smells wonderful though...
But i was hoping for nice results:(

girlcat36
November 16th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I don't use coconut oil as much in the winter because it does get crunchy at lower temperatures. I try and substitute olive oil, but that might be too heavy for your hair.

chelles2kids
November 16th, 2011, 04:02 PM
It sounds to me like the oil is too heavy for your hair...maybe a Camilla oil? It's super light-weight and isn't quite as "oily" as coconut oil is.

On the up side...if you are unable to use the coconut oil on your hair, you can always use it to cook/bake with. So at least it won't be wasted.:)

Something else to consider...maybe try using it on dry hair as opposed to wet? Also remember you need a verrry teeny, tiny bit because it's very easy to over-oil using coconut.

chelshireling
November 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Usually organic coconut oil doesnt actually smell like coconuts, at least not a strong sent, so possibly the kind you have has some additives that are giving you the crunchies. just an idea, hope its helpful:)

blondie9912
November 16th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I have fine hair and I don't find it to be too heavy for my hair.

MonaLisa
November 16th, 2011, 04:11 PM
thank you guys!
I did use it on dry hair though.
EVOO is supposed to be heavier than coconut, right?
And EVOO + castor oil 50-50, worked fine this summer..
Or yeah, could be the temperature..

On top of all, it didnt wash off well..And i am going to work in 7-8 hours..
At least it's amusing how straight my hair is :P

Amber_Maiden
November 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I couldn't stand coconut oil... Didn't work for my hair :(

julliams
November 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Before you rule it out, try much less oil and over dry hair. Sometimes things that don't work when I apply them wet work out ok when it's dry.

Plus if you bought food grade coconut oil , you can always cook with it. My dog goes crazy for a teaspoon of it once in a while too. If it's food grade, it's good for them. She likes it in her coat too, she licks it off - lol.

pepperminttea
November 16th, 2011, 05:41 PM
My bet would be on temperature too, assuming you're in the northern hemisphere. Whenever it's solidified on my hair the effects have been the dry, crunchiness you're describing, but in the summer time my hair loves it. It's definitely getting to that time of year when olive oil is probably a safer option.

supbanana
November 16th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I agree with Pepperminttea. My hair adores coconut oil in the summer but apparently co makes it super crunchy in the colder months. I was so frustrated that I was ready to chop several inches off before realizing the problem, and clarifying shampoo and olive oil solved the problem! :happydance:

MonaLisa
November 17th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I 'fixed' it by making some curls, from another thread, that youtube guide.. seen it recently!
Will post some pictures when I'm back from work, it turned out OK :)
But I agree, back to EVOO at least till warmer days...Not ruling cocnut out yet though!

Revontuletar
November 17th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I have very fine hair, and I love coconut oil!

Gypsygirl
November 17th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Coconut doesn't work for me, either. It gives me crunch and static...and the smell makes my husband go :run:. lol
Try jojoba oil with different eos. It's a lot lighter and you can add a scent that you and your other half love. :)

dili
November 17th, 2011, 01:21 AM
the coconut oil goes solid in the cold...it problably gave the cruchy effect
for me coconut oil works very good, but always after i use, but the same day i wash..
the day i wash it makes my hair more straight, but in the day after my hair stay super soft and moisturezed, with more defined curls!
after i started using coconut oil my hair got much more soft and no split ends

MonaLisa
November 17th, 2011, 10:47 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7550&pictureid=119124

Here's a picture from last night, when I posted it...My ends haven't looked like this in long time...
Although on picture it doesn't seem as bad as it felt live hihi

Today it's all better though! Weird...
True what dili said

holothuroidea
November 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM
My hair didn't absorb any oil until I did a clarifying wash. Then I had to figure out that it has to be wet to absorb the oil, but for a lot of people their hair will only absorb oil if it's dry.

I think if you're getting crunchies, the oil is not absorbing well. I understand that coconut oil's freezing point is just below room temperature but if it's absorbed into the hair would it make a difference?

ETA: Avocado is another oil to try if EVOO is too heavy. My fine hair loves avocado as a deep treatment. Jojoba is my favorite oil for a leave in, though, because anything else weighs my hair down. I put rosemary oil in it and I've noticed a significant improvement in hair strength and moisture.

MonaLisa
November 17th, 2011, 11:06 AM
My hair didn't absorb any oil until I did a clarifying wash. Then I had to figure out that it has to be wet to absorb the oil, but for a lot of people their hair will only absorb oil if it's dry.

I think if you're getting crunchies, the oil is not absorbing well. I understand that coconut oil's freezing point is just below room temperature but if it's absorbed into the hair would it make a difference?

ETA: Avocado is another oil to try if EVOO is too heavy. My fine hair loves avocado as a deep treatment. Jojoba is my favorite oil for a leave in, though, because anything else weighs my hair down. I put rosemary oil in it and I've noticed a significant improvement in hair strength and moisture.

I never clarified :o:o At least not being aware of it...
That's a good point..

I also never tried those oils you mentioned, but I am planning to! and especially with rosemary...it's next thing to do!

gracenotes
November 17th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I've never had much luck using coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment. It works best for me if I use it in small amounts as a leave-in on dry hair. Maybe that might work better for you? The crunchiness you are experiencing might also have to do with buildup-- clarifying might help if that's the case. :)

Corylina
November 17th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Coconut oil is a bit too heavy for my hair, I prefer using hemp seed oil (light and cheap)

But are you sure your hair doesn't need moisture instead of oils? Did you try aloe vera (I always put some aloe juice into my henna paste) on it?

jesis
November 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Coconut oil makes my hair crunchy unless I shampoo and condition all of my hair afterwards! Then it works great for me! :)

holothuroidea
November 17th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I never clarified :o:o At least not being aware of it...
That's a good point..

I also never tried those oils you mentioned, but I am planning to! and especially with rosemary...it's next thing to do!

I am happy to have helped!! You can check my blog for the specific techniques I used and the results I had. :)

MonaLisa
November 18th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Coconut oil is a bit too heavy for my hair, I prefer using hemp seed oil (light and cheap)

But are you sure your hair doesn't need moisture instead of oils? Did you try aloe vera (I always put some aloe juice into my henna paste) on it?

I never tried aloe...hmmm...I might :)
My hair isn't very dry..Don't have crunchiness problems without coconut oil :eek:

karli
November 18th, 2011, 06:00 AM
There are soo many oils.. I gave up on coconut, as it made my hair crunchy and dried out after wash.. Oliveoil doesn't work either.. Avocado is my favourite, shea, camelia, jojoba, walnut- they all work great. What I'm trying to say is, if it doesn't work, try something else :)