PDA

View Full Version : Hair typing question

jujube
November 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
This is not a hairtype me thread, although I do intend to make one. It's just that I saw the article on hairtyping that says you have to clarify, then condition, then dry from wet. But then in the Hairtyping threads I often read that we should just clarify and not use conditioner. Also, if we do have to use it, does it matter whether it has cones or not? Cones can make some people's hair straighter or heavier. I might just not know where exactly to look for the proper instructions, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

krissykins
November 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM
It's really up to you whether or not you use conditioner. Some people can't deal with the snarly mess of hair from clarifying and not using conditioner afterwards (like myself). Although your truest hairtype would come from clarifying and not using conditioner, using conditioner won't mean the end of the world. Just make sure to mention that you washed and conditioned in your post.

If you do use conditioner, I would suggest going the cone-free route. :)

dRummie
November 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I think a sensible guideline is to use as little as you must. If you can get away with just clarifying, do that, but if you must condition, do the minimum you need. Same with cones, although I'm not sure anyone really *must* have them.

jujube
November 16th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Okay, thanks, I think I understand the philosophy better. Is it normal, though, that my hair feels so much lighter and poofier when I clarify?

krissykins
November 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Yup, sounds perfectly normal to me! :) Even the lightest conditioner can weigh hair down. If it becomes too annoying, you can also use an ACV rinse (something I forgot to mention previously).