PDA

View Full Version : What has stopped/slowed your shedding?

teb
November 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I have been losing an abnormal amount of hair for a few years now and I can tell. What technique or product have you used that has helped to curtail your shedding?

I few that I feel have been some help in the past is using Nizoral shampoo, and tea rinses.

blondie9912
November 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM
If it's been going on for several years there may be medical reasons behind it. Imbalances of hormones in the thyroid as well as anemia could both result in extreme shedding. Maybe see your doctor?

Lissandria
November 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM
you may need to see a doctor. For me it has been ceasing the use of chemical hair dye, and ACV rinses.

Leisje
November 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
My shedding has greatly reduced with using shampoo bars.

Perhaps you need a new wash method?
When I tried doing the conditioner only wash thing my hair shed great amounts, and I notice if I do even one wash with an SLS based shampoo now that my hair sheds a great deal more too.

So if you have been checked out healthwise and there is no medical reason for your hairshed, maybe try a new routine. You may have a sensitive scalp.

ChelleyCredible
November 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Also, if youre on any medications it plays a part in excessive shedding. My poor mother is dealing with that right now. Might want to get checked out at a doctor if you feel the amount you are shedding is abnormal.

Madora
November 16th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Teb, for your sake, and that of your hair, see a doctor as soon as you can. Have a complete blood panel and ask about anemia. Also, have your thyroid checked too, as it plays an important part in your overall hair health.

Good luck!
ps. I speak from experience re: abnormal hair loss. Mine was caused by severe anemia which required several transfusions to return to good health.

Jesabel
November 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM
My shedding has slowed a massive amount by taking biotin and using the CWC method :)

ChelleyCredible
November 16th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I am going to agree. I had slight anemia for a few years and my hair seemed thinner than what it is now. I currently dont have anemia and seem to be doing fine. A quick solution is to up the amount of iron you are taking in.

So, I suggest not to stress because there are many factors on why this could be happening. Get the doctor out of the way first to kill the stress. If he/she says you're fine you might want to reconsider the routine you have.

supbanana
November 16th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I agree with seeing a doctor, and hope everything is well!

For me, switching to a wooden comb as opposed to a brush made a ton of difference.

jacqueline101
November 16th, 2011, 08:32 PM
If its bald patches and thinning I'd say see a doctor. You could try and do the things everyone else has suggested on here.

jacqueline101
November 16th, 2011, 08:41 PM
If its bald patches and thinning I'd say see a doctor. You could try and do the things everyone else has suggested on here.

Arashi
November 17th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I find that making sure I adhere to a proper diet full of nutritious foods keeps my shedding to a minimum. Of course, as everyone else has said, a visit to the doctor is a good idea!

dili
November 17th, 2011, 01:14 AM
i stayed without eat meat for 2 years and then my hair got weak and started shedding, then i started eat meat again and it came back to life and started growing 1 inch per month...i had a very bad anemia those times my hair was shedding, once i fix my diet and took some suplements, my hair stopped shedding
it shedded so much i tought i would be bald! my shower would clog every week even if i dont drop most of hairs, i had to cut my hair short! i also had another blood problems, low platelets,i loose 11 kg in a month etc...so i think if the hair is shedding anormally is good to check the blood...
another thing that made my hair shade was depression, when i the treatment start work, my hair stoped shedding

teb
December 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I went to the doctor and had my blood checked she said everything is normal. I think it is stress, I am taking a complex B vitamin and I am going to add Folic Acid Asap however the FA makes me eat like crazy.

Fairlight63
December 14th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I was shedding really bad & started taking Nioxin vit. and they seemed to help. Maybe it was just a fluke but I quit shedding about that time, so that is what I think anyway.

Cocoa_Crema
December 14th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I used to shed a lot more because I have dealt with anemia for most of my life. Now I've been keeping track of my iron levels, and my hair shedding has been reduced.

Kristin
December 14th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Vitamins and avoiding sulfates reduced my shedding a ton, but I still have a heavy autumn shed.

almond
December 14th, 2011, 02:26 PM
There are different things like vitamins that can slow down the shedding. If it's been on or a longer time, there can be many reasons behind it, from stress to different health issues or imbalanced diet. I've been fighting with hair loss too due to severe anemia.
I think it's better to see a doctor, if you know the reason, its easier to find the solution :flower:
ETA: I see the doctor found that everything is all right, so maybe reducing the stress would be the best.

ludwig20
December 14th, 2011, 02:53 PM
A good diet and switching to fingercombing has helped with shedding. Whenever I am tempted to use a comb, I make sure it's a wide-tooth one because others really pull out a ton of hairs.

slo2gro
December 14th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Ive got shedding going on too lately. Id say the last couple of months if that. Its fairly new. I do take a lot of meds thou for various health problems. My hair is growing fine so it hasnt stopped that from going on but is shedding all kinds :(

kittymallow
December 14th, 2011, 04:34 PM
i switched to some different hair products, and my shedding slowed down alot:)

MoonLover
December 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
For me, getting my anemia under control by eating a lot of meat helped. I was on supplements on and off for years and that never helped.

I also have been taking the Nioxin vitamins and that helps a bit but mostly I notice a lot of new hairs on the tops of my head rather than decreased shedding. So while my shedding hasn't decreased as much as I've wanted, my scalp is covered way more than before I started taking the vitamins. Making a ponytail used to make me cry because if I didn't do it carefully in a mirror, all of my balding spots would show.

As an endnote, I went to make doctors, conventional and otherwise. None of them helped.

ElusiveMuse
December 14th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I started taking vitamins with extra hair and nail strengthening.

maria_tasha
December 15th, 2011, 02:19 AM
For my shedding castor oil and Jojoba oil helped a lot but now, maybe because it's winter, I have a major shed. It's everywhere and I just started taking Ca Mg Zn. Let's hope it helps.

drquartz1970
December 15th, 2011, 02:53 AM
B-i-o-t-i-n

ellisbell
December 15th, 2011, 07:09 AM
For some reason when my hair gets past APL my hair sheds like crazy. I have tons of hair so it didn't really show but I was losing it in small clumps (though still within the normal 100 hairs a day range). After I started really babying my hair it was still shedding like crazy and began to accept it as being normal for me. That is of course until i used henna! Since my first henna treatment my hair has drastically stopped shedding. I now probably lose 5-10 hairs while detangling, which is amazing! For me, henna was a godsend in stopping shedding!

Nuin
December 15th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I think that three things have improved my shed rate no end:
getting out of a hugely stressful situation and thereby getting much more rest and exercise;
(related to above) a vastly improved diet: good fats, quality meat and much more green leafy and colourful veg instead of living on bowlfuls of pasta eaten through tears :rolleyes:; I suppose that this one is down to a better intake of essential vitamins and minerals;
finger-combing and brushing more carefullyWhatever you decide to do, I hope that it helps :)