PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! I'm a Female 41 and it looks like my hairline is receding :(

FullMoonTrim
November 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I know this site is probably full of great ideas. I'm so overwhelmed and sad about this. I don't know what to do. I think I've heard of people taking Saw Palmetto to help with this. Maybe iodine & castor externally?

I don't want to use monostat because of worries about my brain & possible headaches (eek!).

Can anyone point me to an article or something here ...or any personal experience? I'm starting to see what all of these other women are talking about...thinning hairr--boo!:confused::(

maybe eating cheese will help?;)

girlcat36
November 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I do iodine and castor oil. Not sure if it's helping because sometimes I go weeks or months and forget to use it! I'm back on it now.
Now that I think of it, I did just go through a huge shed and I wasn't using it. I'm back on it and it seem like less shedding now.

Toadstool
November 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM
If it's from the menopause, can you take HRT?

LocustSpawning
November 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I'd definitely try castor oil. That made lots of new hairs all spring up around my hairline when I was doing scalp treatments with it.

khan
November 16th, 2011, 01:50 PM
There is a hugh castor oil thread in the "Recipes, Henna and Haircare" forum. One of the things I've learned in that thread is to use castor oil on a damp head. Before I was using it on a dry head & it was almost impossible for me to get it out.
I too was losing hair, at both sides of my forehead. Got cute little baby hairs now :D.

Madora
November 16th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Be sure that your hair is not being pulled back tightly..i.e. in ponytails or tight braids.

Also, try and use warm, not hot water, when you shampoo..and try to cut back the shampooing to once a week.

You might wish to consult a trichologist (hair doctor) to see if he can suggest any remedies. Good luck!

ktani
November 16th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Be sure that your hair is not being pulled back tightly..i.e. in ponytails or tight braids.

Also, try and use warm, not hot water, when you shampoo..and try to cut back the shampooing to once a week.

You might wish to consult a trichologist (hair doctor) to see if he can suggest any remedies. Good luck!

Excellent advice! I agree although the cutting back on shampooing may not be necessary.

jujube
November 16th, 2011, 02:51 PM

Could that be the reason? A receding hairline can happen no matter your age because of traction alopecia.

Madora
November 16th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Could that be the reason? A receding hairline can happen no matter your age because of traction alopecia.

It is hard to say, jujube. It may be due to traction alopecia..or heredity. The thing is, if the hair is thinning in the front, then it is best to stay away from anything that pulls on it. If that isn't an option, then a style that puts the least strain on those delicate front hairs. Also, shampooing should be kept at a minimum (once a week) if at all possible. Anything to lessen the chances of loosing more hair in that area.

SheaLynne
November 16th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I am 41 also, and had noticed a spot that was receding at the very middle of my front hairline. I first noticed it about 16 months ago. It really scared me, too! I thought perhaps it was due to wearing hats and scarves more often, or possibly from hormonal things since I have had to work with my diet alot to help things in that area, but what seems to be making a difference is since I got off of shampoo and am now WO with stretching to near NW for the past 4 months. I have baby hairs all in that area now that are the right length for how long I've been off shampoo. (and my diet changes have been much longer than that, so I don't think it is from that, in fact it continued to worsen up until 4 months ago).

Mesmerise
November 16th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I am in the same boat! I started to notice that the hair around my hair line was looking thinner and more transparent (like there's hair there, but you can see more scalp!). So, even though I hate bangs, I went and cut some!!

Psychologically it helps a bit, because I'm less conscious of having a thinning hairline. But eerm... yeah, it doesn't help the knowing that my hair is thinning there. Also, I figure that if it IS traction alopecia, then having bangs will stop that too (although I don't think I really pull my hair back tightly enough for that anyway).

I am taking supplements, and I'm thinking of doing castor oil on that region too. I was using castor oil earlier, but I found it so messy and annoying that I sort of gave up. However, if it's just around my hairline I am willing to try it!!

Sunsailing
November 16th, 2011, 08:42 PM
How and when do you apply the caster oil?

Bazinga
November 16th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I got a lot of new hairgrowth around my hairline. It started when I used castor oil and rooibos-spray on my scalp.

FullMoonTrim
November 16th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I am 41 also, and had noticed a spot that was receding at the very middle of my front hairline
I love all of you for replying. Thank you! I noticed in the front center first too...it is like a tiny widows peak and the hairs look like they are implants...like a guy who has tried to put hairs back. I think it's because of thinning there, I don't think I had it 10 years ago. I'm going to take my silica again and maybe try the castor iodine. Also watch pulling my hair back....maybe I should photograph my hairline to keep watch.

FullMoonTrim
November 16th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I got a lot of new hairgrowth around my hairline. It started when I used castor oil and rooibos-spray on my scalp.
Nice, rooibos...I have never heard of it for hair. Have others said it helps too?

FullMoonTrim
November 16th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I am in the same boat! I started to notice that the hair around my hair line was looking thinner and more transparent (like there's hair there, but you can see more scalp!)

Yes, more scalp, not cool! I can't tell if i can see more scalp now because my hair is natural light brown) instead of before (highlighted blond). Maybe it's the contrast?
I think the castor oil is a great idea, it's a miracle oil -for sure. Maybe it can help us too!

FullMoonTrim
November 16th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I do iodine and castor oil
Great reminder. Thank you! I guess we should all start this one up again.

FullMoonTrim
November 16th, 2011, 10:20 PM
If it's from the menopause, can you take HRT?
It's a little early for menopause, although you are right, it could be hormones. I do wonder if my thyroid is slow.

FullMoonTrim
November 16th, 2011, 10:21 PM
lots of new hairs all spring up around my hairline
You give me hope! Thank you!
I may try some of that sticky stuff tonight!

FullMoonTrim
November 16th, 2011, 10:22 PM
damp head.
Damp head, great tip. Congrats on the baby hairs! I hope they turn into strong adult hairs!
(sounds a little weird but you know what I mean!)

FullMoonTrim
November 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM
cut back the shampooing to once a week. Thank you for these tips. Just reading them makes me want to slow down and be more gentle with my hair. I've been getting frustrated and it feels dry lately. Thanks.

Madora
November 17th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Thank you for these tips. Just reading them makes me want to slow down and be more gentle with my hair. I've been getting frustrated and it feels dry lately. Thanks.

FullMoonTrim, I apologize for not explaining why you should cut back to shampooing once a week. It is because hair is weakest when wet and shampooing, no matter how gently done, is still putting stress on the strands via the shampooing motions. Also, the detangling afterwards adds additional chances for damage..all of which you want to avoid.

So, if you can tolerate it, shampooing once a week lessens your possibilities for breakage from shampooing often, and the detangling afterwards. Good luck!

FullMoonTrim
November 17th, 2011, 11:57 AM
hair is weakest when wet and shampooing,
You are right, it is the weakest then. It also gets tangled while it's drying. Thanks again.

dulce
November 17th, 2011, 12:16 PM
At 51 I first noticed a small bald spot in center of my bangs,since then my frontal hair line has receded about one inch.I take green tea and saw palmetto extract and use rogaine there.With menopause you lose estrogen and the testosterone has less estrogen to oppose it,that plus some have an inherited problem with the DHT.My overall hair[I refuse to take HRT,the risks of heart attack,stroke ,breast cancer are not worth it to me]still looks pretty good even though it has thinned compared to earlier so I'm thankful it's not worse.You could try 2 tbs a day of ground flax for the phyto-estrogens but it caused some minor post menopausal bleeding for me so I had to stop[can thicken uterine lineing in some people]

FullMoonTrim
November 17th, 2011, 12:22 PM
green tea and saw palmetto extract and use rogaine there.

Thanks for your info. It's also nice to know that it still looks good even with the thinning.
How long have you been taking saw palmetto?
I just started taking flax seeds and I really like the effect on my system (more just the fiber benefits).

dulce
November 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Been taking all of this since age 52,now am 59 years old.

infinity_girl
November 17th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I had a receding hairline after the birth of my child and since I have been taking MSM, I have a row of very thick new growth (like a little fringe). It might be worth a try. I never had it before and it is so thick that I am having to pin it back with hairclips.

Purdy Bear
November 17th, 2011, 01:36 PM
There is a form of Alopecia that does affect the hair at the front or crown called Male Pattern Baldness, if I remember rightly, its hormone based, it can also cause a lot of thinning. There are treatments for it from the chemist. Its also adviseable to go see a Dr, as the soon a dermatologist gets treatment started the better.

proo
November 17th, 2011, 02:49 PM
My sister swears by progesterone cream - thickened up her head hair and thinned out her facial hair.

UP Lisa
November 18th, 2011, 10:17 AM
The trouble with hair loss is that is can be caused by SO MANY things!