PDA

View Full Version : Hair Growth and Birth Control Pills.

iszolda111
November 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I was wondering if birth control pills have affected the growth of anyones hair, positively or negatively? I've been taking Yasmin now for 3 1/2 months. I hate to be taking it, I'm a natural sort of girl, I don't like taking synthentic hormones! But I had been breaking out so badly over this past stressful year that I went on it as a last resort to try to balance my hormones that had gone crazy. Thing is, I was looking at reveiws, and saw that some people said it made their hair fall out, while others said it made their hair thicker. Also some said it made their hair growth slow, while some had experienced much faster growth. Any experiences here with birth control and how it affected your hair growth? I havent noticed any change in my hair yet, but I have only been taking it a short time.

I had a dream last night that I had hair down to my waist:D It was amazing. If that is ever a reality I will be awfully happy!:)

PinkyCat
November 16th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I take Gianvi, which is the generic form of Yaz. I haven't noticed a change at all. I have read that a lot of women experience shedding if they come off the pill.

Amber_Maiden
November 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I've taken about 20-30 different types of BCPs over the years. My DR started me on them when I was 13 because I had bad acne. Then tried different ones because they weren't helping and she hoped they would. They didn't. I eventually stopped taking them because they were more damaging to me than anything else. Did they wreck my hair? Yep. and my skin. I was basically allergic to them, the hormones.

PrairieRose
November 16th, 2011, 11:21 AM
The couple of different pills I was on seemed to make my hair thinner, but pregnancy seemed to make my hair thicker. I think each person's reaction is different.

iszolda111
November 16th, 2011, 12:18 PM
hmmm Amber maiden that is why I hate taking them, I don't know if maybe I should stop now before my body gets really used to them. Unatural hormones can not be good for your body, but some people said it made their hair much nicer, I assume those people had an imbalance to begin with that the bc covered up. I'm worried that if I stop now I will lose hair like many people did, not to mention break out terribly.

BlazingHeart
November 16th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I've been off and on ortho cyclin for the past decade. Sometimes when I restart I have a short growth stall (a month or so), but that is the only effect I have ever noticed on my hair.

Diamond.Eyes
November 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I'm anemic, so my doctor put me on Yaz when I was about 16. I've noticed that my hair has grown incredibly fast since I started taking birth control. It's also a lot thicker at my roots than it used to be. It really depends on the contraceptive you are taking. I've heard estrogen is linked to hair growth, and some contraceptives have absolutely no estrogen in them. :shrug:

Elysium
November 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I was on Yasmin for 3 years and my hair became a lot thinner. Whether that's due to the BCP alone, or a combination of dye/neglect/rough handling, I can't say for sure. I'm off them now, and my hair has gotten much thicker. Again, can't say if that's due to being off them.

chelshireling
November 16th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I was just at the dermatologist today and she said if it is estrogen based it should make your hair nicer and skin clearer but if its progesten based it could do the opposite. I think the one your on is estrogen so that should be good.

Starblanket
November 16th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I began taking the birth control Marvelon since this March for terrible cramps and period regulation, I think my hair growth slowed down but I'm not sure since I don't measure often...:hmm:

I've been losing lots of hair for the past few years and it mostly stopped after I began taking iron supplements, but I stopped taking them under instruction from my doctor and my hair has began shedding a lot more now (but hair loss is a side effect of the anxiety medication I'm taking so I don't know :(). I don't know if the birth control contributed to any further shedding, but it's a possibility.

Amelia777
November 20th, 2018, 03:50 PM
I have recently started taking birth control pills, so this thread is useful for me. Usually I read the information about the meds on this Canadian Pharmacy (https://www.canadapharmacy.com/prescription) website as it provides me with the description of all medications that are sold there. But I'll keep your experience and information in mind and won't worry about the process of my hair growth while taking the pills. Thanks for sharing!

MarPreciosa
November 20th, 2018, 04:02 PM
I was wondering if birth control pills have affected the growth of anyones hair, positively or negatively? I've been taking Yasmin now for 3 1/2 months. I hate to be taking it, I'm a natural sort of girl, I don't like taking synthentic hormones! But I had been breaking out so badly over this past stressful year that I went on it as a last resort to try to balance my hormones that had gone crazy. Thing is, I was looking at reveiws, and saw that some people said it made their hair fall out, while others said it made their hair thicker. Also some said it made their hair growth slow, while some had experienced much faster growth. Any experiences here with birth control and how it affected your hair growth? I havent noticed any change in my hair yet, but I have only been taking it a short time.

I had a dream last night that I had hair down to my waist:D It was amazing. If that is ever a reality I will be awfully happy!:)

I don't know about Yasmin but what a beautiful dream!

Natashap
November 20th, 2018, 05:16 PM
I was on BCP for years until I stopped.

I have read recent journals about women health and they say BCP IS EVIL AND CAUSES ALL HORMONE RELATED CANCERS.

I wanted to start it for managing hormones but now its scary /

Dark40
November 20th, 2018, 07:21 PM
I can remember when I was taking birth control pills I can't remember what type it was back in the late 1990's and also in the early 2000s. Because, I also had crazy hormone going on as well. Back in the 1990s when I was taking they made me shed a lot of hairs more than normal. So no, it didn't help me with faster hair growth at all, and they also didn't make my hair look or feel thicker either.

AmaryllisRed
November 20th, 2018, 08:00 PM
I've only been on it for about two months for endometriosis. So far I haven't noticed any changes to my hair. Definitely giving me some acne.

maborosi
November 20th, 2018, 10:52 PM
I took it a long time ago and did, unfortunately have some hair loss when I went off it... But everyone is different!