PDA

View Full Version : Is this a damage free bun?

DancingQueen
November 16th, 2011, 04:55 AM
I just came across this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2WLNTJnIk4&feature=related

Could this be a completely damage free bun? And it takes less than a minute to do? That must be too good to be true! What does the experts say? :)

Edit: I just found another video as well, that might work better for the girls with longer hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkZqXOViM7Q

Jesabel
November 16th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Not an expert here but damn that thing would sure make hairstyling the the morning easier. And doesn't look like it would really damage either :o though I've never heard of or seen the thing she used in her hair, heh.

DancingQueen
November 16th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I know, I thought the exact same thing when I saw the video. I had one a long time ago, but I did not know how to use it, so I think I threw it out. I really regret that now. :)

longhairedlady
November 16th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Im no expert but I dont know if I would like the ends of my hair folded up like they do in that video.

Jesabel
November 16th, 2011, 05:54 AM
DancingQueen- where did you find the one you use to have?
And I'd probably prefer to have my ends rolled up then exposed (my ends seem to get dried out when left out) but I'm not quite sure, I'd have to try it to see :)

tarn
November 16th, 2011, 05:55 AM
My daughter loves using this on her hair, but on both hers and mine I seem to notice the flyaways coming out of our buns... we are prone to fly aways though / just genetics.:shrug:

By the way, we got ours on Ebay

Lippytoes
November 16th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I used to have something similar to that when I was a (longhaired) kid! But I remember it never used to stay. I think my hair was a bit too long for it. So this might work super well for up to BSL hair, perhaps? Not sure how you'd make it work on longer hair - my arms definitely aren't that stretchy. :D

Jesabel
November 16th, 2011, 06:03 AM
My hair is BSL (and when I say BSL I mean bottom of bra strap not top, just noticed that some people have slightly diff definitions hehe) so if I can find one on eBay or something I will de finitely try this. Though I wonder if it will work with my layers..

DancingQueen
November 16th, 2011, 06:16 AM
DancingQueen- where did you find the one you use to have?
And I'd probably prefer to have my ends rolled up then exposed (my ends seem to get dried out when left out) but I'm not quite sure, I'd have to try it to see :)

I got it on a vacation to france from a lady on the street. But since I discovered this, I have not been able to get one. They have a website, but it is rather expensive (both shipping and the product). I wonder if you could make one yourself?

There also exist something similar called hair agami, that might work for longer hair?

DancingQueen
November 16th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I just added another video at the top, that might work a little better for the girls with longer hair :)

Rowan1980
November 16th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Why does that make me think of those snap bracelets that were popular in the early '90s?

I wouldn't mind trying one of those, actually. Anything to make life and hairstyling easier.

Fairytale
November 16th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I saw the video and I am amazed how easy and fast to do the bun with it, will check if Walgreens carry it.:cheese:

There is also another video where the girl is speaking Italian and she gives also great teqniques and diff. styles using it if your interested in purchasing one.

(just have to skip the speaking part, unless you speak Italian ofcourse.):D

LocustSpawning
November 16th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Eeeep... I just bought the Hairagami thing from the 2nd vid... stop meeee!! This is why I should be banned from LHC!!

QMacrocarpa
November 16th, 2011, 07:23 AM
The QwikBun is much like the Hairagami. Around here, I think I saw the Hairagami for sale at Claire's. Other similar products are the EZ Bun, Hare Do, Whirl-a-Style, Scunci Magic Bun, and something maybe called the Bundy (http://www.amazon.com/Amaranth-Twist-Holder-Clip-Braid/dp/B0055MYJ0U/ref=pd_bxgy_misc_img_c).

I improvised my own similar rolled-bun-maker out of a couple of slap-on ankle clips for keeping your trouser cuff out of your bike chain (like the bracelets Rowan1980 mentioned, but longer and maybe a bit wider) They didn't work well on my husband's ankles, but were fun for hair buns while they worked-- my hair (between APL and BSL) already seems to be too long for it to work well anymore, or maybe that's my rotator-cuff injury talking ;).

DancingQueen, the thing I noticed about that second video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkZqXOViM7Q) is that no one is doing their own hair, which would indeed make it easier to manage longer hair with these things.

There are some older discussions which might have useful info here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16506), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=63497), here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46439), and probably others.

longhairedlady
November 16th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Okay the second video at the 25 sec mark, I love that style!! :)

Heartwillfollow
November 16th, 2011, 07:40 AM
http://haredo.com/

they also have this one, the idea looks comfortable :)

Madora
November 16th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I had one of these years ago but my hair wasn't comfortable being confined that way. It looks like it would be damage free.

MasCat
November 16th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Actually my friend made herself that thing from the first vid using thinck, jeans-like fabric and a medium thinckness cable (insulated copper wire).

It's a gentle hairtoy, also it leaves really nice bunwaves.

W2
November 16th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I got it on a vacation to france from a lady on the street. But since I discovered this, I have not been able to get one. They have a website, but it is rather expensive (both shipping and the product). I wonder if you could make one yourself?

There also exist something similar called hair agami, that might work for longer hair?

I bought mine here (http://www.fashiongirl.dk/shop/hair-bun-sponge-398p.html)

It's a danish website, but guess you won't mind;)

Intransigentia
November 16th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I got a similar thing at Claire's years ago. At the time I had it, my hair was between APL and BSL and on the thin side. I loved how it gave me a bit more volume than a regular bun.

The main difficulty I had with the kind in the first video, fabric with wire inside, is that after a while the wire gets kinked and then it gets harder to work with and eventually after enough use the wire just snaps at the place it got stressed from too much bending. Of course, this tells you how much I used it - and by implication, how useful it was.

Apriori
November 16th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I used to have that kind of a thing when I was a kid and never knew how to use it, so I ended up throwing it away. But after seeing that vid I went straight to ebay and bought one :D

BelleBot
November 16th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I bought a hair agmi thing a while back. I struggled to make it work with my hair, it just ended up a huge mess. Maybe my hair is too long or I'm too clumsy to do it on myself. I managed to get it to work on my friend's shorter hair, so perhaps it's best having someone else do it. I ended up giving mine away to a friend who liked to style his little girl's hair.

sun-kissed
November 16th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I shouldn't be asking this(I don't need another hairtoy :eyebrows:), but where can I find the blonde Hairagami? These look so cool, I NEED to try them. I've searched all over and I can't find them anywhere! Any suggestions?

supercupcakexx
November 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM
The QwikBun is much like the Hairagami. Around here, I think I saw the Hairagami for sale at Claire's. Other similar products are the EZ Bun, Hare Do, Whirl-a-Style, Scunci Magic Bun, and something maybe called the Bundy (http://www.amazon.com/Amaranth-Twist-Holder-Clip-Braid/dp/B0055MYJ0U/ref=pd_bxgy_misc_img_c).

I recently discovered that I have two of these from a long time ago! They're pretty neat, but they do get a little curved/bent after a while, and sometimes it's kind of hard to get the 2 ends hooked right without them popping off of each other. I like it though! :D

CariadA
November 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I have something kind of similar but I made it myself. I have never noticed any damage from it!

It' really ugly but it works well. I made it out of the netting from one of those pre-made sock bun donuts, some flexible rubber and a rubber snap thing. I didn't have any brown thread so I just used whatever colors I did have since it can't be seen while worn anyway.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh75/lovely-in-nyc/IMG-20110824-00269.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh75/lovely-in-nyc/IMG-20110824-00270.jpg

CariadA
November 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Woah. Huge Pictures. Sorry.

KarpatiiSiv
November 16th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I've had a few of these over the years and could never get them to work with my hair. I finally decided that it was because my hair was too thick and too long. A few of my friends had no trouble using them but they had hair that was shorter and finer than mine. One of them tried to do it for me but even though she had no problem using it herself she just couldn't get it to work with my hair so I gave up and haven't tried using one again.

ibleedlipstick
November 16th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I have had a few different versions of these and none of them would work for me. My hair is simply too thick and heavy, and they weren't strong enough to hold it. Unfortunate, because I would love to have something that is that quick and easy.

PriscillaCherel
November 17th, 2011, 04:29 AM
It looks if it's not damaging your hair, but wow.. what easy!

Kamir0
November 17th, 2011, 05:20 AM
I just came across this video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2WLNTJnIk4&feature=related

Could this be a completely damage free bun? And it takes less than a minute to do? That must be too good to be true! What does the experts say? :)

Edit: I just found another video as well, that might work better for the girls with longer hair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkZqXOViM7Q

I am no expert but this looks AWESOME! I want! :bounce: However, would that work for the curlies out there? :confused:

Cassie 123
November 19th, 2011, 06:53 PM
So I ordered a Qwikbuns when this thread started, and it arrived today. For my short hair (APLish), it really works as advertised: easy, comfy, and stable. However, it's not a polished look because the ends of the device show, though perhaps they could be hidden by a more attractive clip-on ornament or something.

jacqueline101
November 19th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I've seen the hairagami deals. I wanted to get one when my hair is longer.

Cassie 123
November 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I have a Hairagami as well. It has two hard plastic "snap bracelets" inside and so for me is more difficult to control and make a comfortable style. The ends don't stick out, though, which gives it a better look. The Qwikbuns is just a ring of wire in a fabric oval with a hole in the middle - very basic but the velvety fabric grabs the hair very well. So comfy and easy; I'm surprised these aren't more widely available.

Yame
November 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
So the general consensus is that these are non-damaging, but generally work best on medium-long (APL, BSL, or up to WL) hair as opposed to long-long hair?

It looks so easy and the styles are so fancy, I was tempted to get one... but if it won't work on my hip length+ hair, I'm not going to bother.

It seems like just sliding that thing down my hair and rolling the hair up would take longer than styling my hair into a bun using a hair stick, but on the other hand, it would be a cool and easy way to make some nice and fat Princess Leia-like buns.

morrigan*
November 20th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I had hairagami when i was young, and it was great. I had thick (iii), without layers and at least waist lenght hair and it worked. My mom loved it because it stayed in my hair all day and it was quicker than french braid :D

ravenreed
November 20th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I have a hairigami and something similar to the qwikbuns. They don't work well for my hair because my arms are not long enough to get the gadget all the way to the ends of the hair to start rolling. However, I start rolling in the middle of my hair, and that leaves little tendrils out. I think it looks quite fetching. But since the ends are exposed, it kind of negates the "no-damage" thing.

nellreno
November 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I had one when I was younger, but I think it doesn't work well with hair past bsl. My hair is also very dry and prone to tangles and fly aways, so it never slid down my hair that well and instead would grab and pull out my hair.

Heartwillfollow
November 23rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
Give the "qwik buns" a yes like it... am just pass apl, average thickness, and no layers, very comfortable and easy to put up, no tails sticking out to need to hand tuck in. For me just perfect to give me something to use to keep my hair up while I am growing to bls.. My apl is still too short, simple buns feel too tight with lots of pressure.. qwik bun feels more comfortable no hard pressure . Will let you know if it is damaging to the ends over time, I don't have to roll it really tight for it to hold well . Did an inch trim so am starting off with good ends. Thanks for mentioning these :)

kidari
November 23rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
My hair is a few inches past BSL and I use a similar device and love mine. The only problem is that I can't have damp hair when I use it because it rolls up my hair pretty tightly and my ends get this strange texture if I don't do it on dry hair.

Heartwillfollow
November 24th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks kidari had wondered about wet hair.. I wore the qwikbun all day long today, even took a quick nap after a hardy thanksgiving meal lol .. was comfortable.. Nice suprise taking it down this evening to get a nice wave. I put leave on condition on dry hair at my ends before I rolled it.. Ends were really soft so I hope it will protect them.. Getting pass this length will be a challenge to avoid the damage I usually get at the ends.. I usually cut it back up to chin.. hopeing to find an edge to get me to bsl :)

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/album.php?albumid=7117&pictureid=119673

fridgee
November 26th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I love the look of how easy that is! But I think my layers are too short and would escape when you pull it half way down your hair, which would result in a pretty odd looking bun. Like so many things on here can only wait for some more growth before trying it. Grow hair, grow!

DancingQueen
April 18th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Okay, so I guess the conclusion is that it is fairly damage free and easy on at least medium length hair. But, another question is: Does anyone know where you can get the qwikbun in europe? I could order it from USA, but it is already fairly expensive, and for delivery to denmark, the price will be more than I can afford. Any clue is welcome :)

brave
April 18th, 2012, 08:31 AM
I use this (http://www.amazon.com/BDS-Pieces-Sponge-Ponytail-Holder/dp/B005VRTKR6/ref=pd_sim_misc_4). It works pretty well on my hair (layers floating between shoulder and apl) and did when it was a little shorter too. Plenty of grab and what I like about this version your ability to completely hide the ends.

I've had the hairagami and still do somewhere but I was hopeless with it. Roll roll SNAP halfway up the bun.

I also have a plastic version of the qwikbun style rollie thing where the ends snap in together. I like that one a lot but my hair can't handle it when shorter and it's falling apart because the rubber can't stand the torsion. Still used it a ton though.

littleizz
April 18th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Wow, I remember hairagami commercials from 10 or so years ago. I've never tried one, but it looks like trying to work around any amount of layers would be really frustrating. I also don't know that it's much less "damaging" than using a fork or a stick. Maybe for those who are still to short to use them?

epigrrl
April 18th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Search eBay for "magic bun". There are tons of generics out there, cheap :)

Seeshami
April 18th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I love my hairagami and it's kinda sorta the same kind of concept only the qwikbun has a hole and the hairagami opens and closes. I used my hairagami for a year or some around shoulder length because it was easy and pretty. I didn't notice any more damage the normal.

GoldberryHair
April 18th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I feel like you could make something similar to the first video by take 2 bandanas and tying their ends so they form a loop...