PDA

View Full Version : humectant and protein free styling products for the winter?

Sopotito
November 16th, 2011, 04:23 AM
My hair is suffering from the dry winter air combined with the dryness of the continental climate I live in, so I am trying to avoid all humectants and proteins in my routine.

I've started to experiment with oiling my hair, but only from my ears down, to avoid the oily/dirty-hair look. However, my hair is naturally so frizzy, I can´t even imagine leaving the house with no product at all in the roots...

Any recommendations on humectant and protein free styling products would be most welcome!

I also hope this thread would become a place to share all kinds of natural winter styling tips!

P.S. I already asked for some recommendations on natural choices on the herbal hair care section of the board, but I created this thread to be able to discuss also "conventional"styling products. Nevertheless, if you think it's inappropriate to have a similar thread on two different sections of the forum (though the other one is supposed to be about natural choices and the other one about "conventional" cures to the problem), please ask an admin to delete this thread.

Mairéad
November 16th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I'm not very knowledgeable of conventional styling products (can't stand them) but I know that many people with curly and wavy hair types will use pure aloe vera gel rubbed between wet palms to tame their halos and frizz and define curls. It will help keep your hair moisturized too. Others also use a de-frizz spray recipe found on the forum but I can't remember if that had a humectant in that or not. It could be eliminated either way.

As far as general winter dryness I have a humidifier for that. If you can't "join" the winter dryness, fix it. lol.

HintOfMint
November 16th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Actually, I believe aloe gel is a humectant, so that's out.

I've used Nightblooming's Panacea Winter Blend, which is both humectant and protein free and advertises itself as such. It's sold on Etsy.

Mairéad
November 16th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Actually, I believe aloe gel is a humectant, so that's out.

I've used Nightblooming's Panacea Winter Blend, which is both humectant and protein free and advertises itself as such. It's sold on Etsy.

Huh, didn't know that. But, the Google confirms it. Not as strong a humectant as honey or glycerin, but one nonetheless.

gattina
November 16th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I mix honey in with my conditioner. I CO wash only and bun everyday. This might help you get through the winter. Scratchy sweaters, coats, are terrible for hair, so try bunning and using honey. :) Good luck!

Mairéad
November 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I mix honey in with my conditioner. I CO wash only and bun everyday. This might help you get through the winter. Scratchy sweaters, coats, are terrible for hair, so try bunning and using honey. :) Good luck!

Honey is a humectant.