PDA

View Full Version : Very pretty vintage hairstyle

coffinhert
November 15th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Just wanted to share this! It stood out to me how healthy her hair looks, makes me wonder if they were using heat at all in the era this was styled... Looks like late 50s/early 60s??

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/12870450448/1/tumblr_luqb91p90I1qabj53

racrane
November 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
It's definitely heat styled. I still adore the style, though. It's so pretty.

sonng
November 15th, 2011, 10:19 PM
nice hair. looks like monroe ... yeah they used heat during this era A LOT.

longhairedlady
November 15th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Its pretty and major heat styling/products went into that 'do! :p

taimatsuko
November 15th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Not only heat, I'm pretty sure that bleach was involved there too! I think the motto at that time was 'great to the look, not to the touch':p

MrsGuther
November 15th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Looks pretty, but I personally don't think it looks very healthy. Bleached heat styled... eeek! It's very stylish looking though.

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Very pretty! So much volume.

uptosomeone
November 15th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I keep getting distracted by the horrifying cones on her chest ;)

Nah, I kid. Her hair is very beautiful, and I agree, it looks quite healthy! Maybe not by LHC standards, but for heat-styled bleached hair, I think it looks superb. :)

HintOfMint
November 15th, 2011, 11:37 PM
It's styles like this that make me want to chop my hair off to between BSL and APL. Must... resist... the... urge...

longhairedlady
November 15th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I keep getting distracted by the horrifying cones on her chest ;)

:rollin: they do look pretty painful!

julliams
November 15th, 2011, 11:58 PM
[quote=uptosomeone;1867531]I keep getting distracted by the horrifying cones on her chest ;)/quote]

Definitely the "lift and separate" era. Remember the "cross your heart" bra? LOL

Kira94
November 16th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Is that Jayne Mansfield? Looks like her. :)
Actually, the most common way of curling hair in that era was pincurls. I used to be obsessed with the 40s and 50s . . . dressing in that style everyday and pincurling my hair every night. I'm actually still growing out a middy, which is kind of aggravating now that I want my hair long. (a middy was the typical cut of the times, cut in a U shape so the front was quite short and the back was much longer to give that effect)
Pincurling doesn't harm the hair, though I expect the bleach blonde would cause some damage. I loved the wave pincurling gave my hair. :)
Anyway, here's a picture of Marilyn Monroe undoing her pincurl set: http://i41.tinypic.com/rm69g3.jpg

Aveyronnaise
November 16th, 2011, 12:39 AM
I just wanted to add that they used to use hood dryers more than the hand style we use today. I think hood dryers could possibly cause less damage because they aren't whipping your hair around everywhere.
I agree it looks like Jayne Mansfield.

longhairedlady
November 16th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Yep I vote jayne!

Jesabel
November 16th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Don't normally like short hair but loving this style. Nor am I a blonde person but since trying to grow out my dyed hair her perfectly coloured hair is looking amazing :(

sycamoreboutiqu
November 16th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Looks like Jayne for sure. Her daughter definitely got the physique if not the hair color (female star on CSI).
Wow - I remember having my grandma do pincurls on us - so darned painful (can still recall the dents those bobby pins made). The rag curls were a little more forgiving but still a PITA - but the results were lovely.

infinity_girl
November 16th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Is that Jayne Mansfield. Lovely hair. Poor kid. What a horrible way to die - decapitation.

VikingVampChick
November 16th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Actually, from what I've heard, she was wearing a wig at the time of the accident and it went flying and that was how the decapitation rumor got started. Who knows.

Fairytale
November 16th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks for sharing this vintage look I love vintage and pin up hairstyles!!

coffinhert
November 16th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I guess looks are deceiving. It looks so soft to me, like maybe it was done with pin curls!

LocustSpawning
November 16th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Damn, what a beautiful woman! & I agree her hair looks fantastic. I'd love mega volume like that.

Amber_Maiden
November 16th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Yep. Definitely heat styled. Not sure how you could recreate it without.