PDA

View Full Version : Styling knee length or longer hair

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I just trimmed my hair. It was about halfway between my knees and calves, and now it's a few inches shorter, probably at the back of my knees. I'm thinking about doing something new with it, but I don't know if I'm willing to sacrifice much length.

Does anyone have layers, side bangs, or any other style with knee length or longer hair? Or know where I can find pictures for inspiration?

I definitely don't want short bangs. Ideally, if I cut bangs, they'll be very long side bangs that I can part with the rest of my hair if I feel like it. I don't like the idea of being stuck with bangs all the time.

But I'm not even sure if it looks right to embellish your haircut in any way, once it's this long. I'm just tired of it being soooooo thick (about 5" ponytail circumfrence) and hanging around me like a big curtain all the time. One of my friends compared it to a nun's veil, LOL.

Any suggestions or pictures? (In the form of links, since I don't have 25 posts yet)

PlainLight
November 15th, 2011, 08:20 PM
By "styling" you're meaning cutting bangs, etc? Do you wear your hair down all the time? What if you try learning some new buns/braids/updos that will give your hair a different look and also keep it out of the way when you need?

Madora
November 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM
An idea of sorts:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=90386

Of course my hair is nowhere near your length, but what you could do is create a larger bun on top of the French braid.

This was simply a Dutch French braid down the center of the hair which was looped up the side and the tassle threaded through a section where the braid began. The braid was pulled thru that section then coiled in a small bun above the Dutch braid.

Hair is braided semi loosely to make it more supple when forming the "U" at the bottom. I used a Topsy Tail tool to do the actual threading thru the section at the top.

A slight variation of this is putting your hair in a ponytail, dividing it in two sections, then loosely twisting the 2 sections together down to the ends, then bringing the end up and thru where the twists began and threading them thru a section, and winding the remaining hair around the ponytail base.

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, but I guess I should have been clearer in my post. There are a lot of different buns, braids, and other hairstyles that I like to wear, but I would like my hair to look better when it's just down. I don't like the shape created by the thickness—it widens at the bottom and creates a boxy shape that swallows me up. It's like a big drape over my head.

I also would like to have some hair framing my face when I wear updos. I have sort of a weird hairline and when I pull my hair completely back, it's not that flattering.

Nevertheless, Madora, I will definitely try that hairstyle! Braided updos are gorgeous, I love them.

longhairedlady
November 15th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I guess I am not seeing the problem you are seeing with your hair! Your profile pic shows very pretty hair with a nice hairline. If you dont like the fullness at your ends, bangs are not going to help that. If you dont like a blunt cut, then you could change your hemline to a U or a V. :)

Kyla
November 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Perhaps, instead of bangs (which, although cute, I am naturally against due to how long they take to grow out) you could try some subtle layers, or a different hemline. Bangs frame your face, but so do the "wispies" some people have. Maybe you could have those cut in? They would be longer than bangs, and easier to hide if you want them hidden.

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Maybe whispies are what I'm thinking of? I'd probably have to see a picture. But it would be nice to have some hair at the front short enough to pull over my shoulders. It would make my hair in the back less thick and it would look less severe from the front. (With my current length, if I pull any to the front, it just gets tangled up in my legs when I walk, LOL)

cmg
November 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Reading this thread made me remember how boring I kept my hair when it was longer. I definitively need inspiration, now that I'm growing it longer again. I dont know if I will ever reach back to kneelength though. I had it in a sort of U-shape when it was that long and it was definitively catching up on everything. I had sidebangs, but not deliberately. They just got there because of me using headbands and such so the hair wore out. So just keep coming with the ideas, folks! Need inspiration here and something to look forward too. Whispies was not so great on my fine hair. They were a constant aggravation and looked like someone given me a lightening shock. :( If your hair is heavier I suppose this will work out fine. Could probably be very beautiful on the right person. Please tell us what you decide, Wallflower.

Chromis
November 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I guess I am not seeing the problem you are seeing with your hair! Your profile pic shows very pretty hair with a nice hairline. If you dont like the fullness at your ends, bangs are not going to help that. If you dont like a blunt cut, then you could change your hemline to a U or a V. :)

I would try a hemline change myself if my ends were thicker.

If you want change to how your updos look, I recommend learning updos that add more volume to the top of your head. French braiding for example, gives a different look from the front than a low nape bun. I just learned this updo, and it is a good example of the softer look I am mentioning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL2jGJvMBI4

You can also gently pull out some wispies from your temples. Even with knee-length hair myself, I still have a few of these. They are just a couple inches long and even though they are not dramatic, they really change your look. I normally tuck mine in to keep them out of my glasses, but I like being a tight-bunned mean little old lady club member.

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Today when I trimmed my hair I made a U hemline, which I think looks better, but it still doesn't help the face that the shape the thickness of my hair creates is unattractive. Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GkMAFeWEa_A/TkHlh3vMSGI/AAAAAAAABFs/NMTR-D4oV2Y/s400/momhair3.jpg

Her hair looks fine, but see how it widens the further down it goes? Now imagine that on knee length hair, and you'll see my problem.

I want my hair to be more like this:

http://indianrapunzels.info/shop/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/861de786c0f648c7c6dbe61e2bc81add.jpg

Freckled.Thing
November 15th, 2011, 10:11 PM
It sounds like you're trying to avoid what I think of as pyramid-head syndrome, which is when shorter hair widens dramatically at the bottom and makes your head look like a triangle. You just have a slightly different version of this.

Honestly the best way to avoid pyramid-head syndrome is long layers. Layers almost always make hair look much nicer when worn down, but are a royal pain in the but when it comes to braids and updos.

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 10:29 PM
It sounds like you're trying to avoid what I think of as pyramid-head syndrome, which is when shorter hair widens dramatically at the bottom and makes your head look like a triangle.

Yes, that's it. The longer the hair is the bigger the "pyramid" is and it engulfs you.

If the layers were really, really long, would it still be a pain?

In this picture of Ruslana Korshunova, a Russian model who had knee length hair, it looks like she has a wispy side bang.

Maybe I could get away with something like that, and then some layers that start at my waist.

Is there a tutorial anywhere for cutting your own layers for really long hair?

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Oooh, I love this! I wish I could see it from the front!

http://www.stylewigs.com/products/SA/SACN/SACN4_2.jpg

Any ideas on how this would look with knee length hair, and how I could cut it?

ravenreed
November 15th, 2011, 10:47 PM
One of the reasons that I refuse to ever give up my layers is that otherwise I have pyramid head. Wavies seem to suffer from it quite a bit.

Teazel
November 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Today when I trimmed my hair I made a U hemline, which I think looks better, but it still doesn't help the face that the shape the thickness of my hair creates is unattractive. Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GkMAFeWEa_A/TkHlh3vMSGI/AAAAAAAABFs/NMTR-D4oV2Y/s400/momhair3.jpg

Her hair looks fine, but see how it widens the further down it goes? Now imagine that on knee length hair, and you'll see my problem.

http://indianrapunzels.info/shop/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/861de786c0f648c7c6dbe61e2bc81add.jpg

I see what you mean. My hair looks like the second one you linked to, because it tapers a lot... I suppose it's no help to you if I say I'm envious of your thick hemline? :p :wink: I would love my hair to be like a cloak.

The problem with layering your hair is that it makes updos awkward, with bits sticking out in unruly fashion. If you decide you don't like the look after you've cut it would take a loooong time to grow the layers out... I know, I've done it, and my hair wasn't as long then. So you'd need to be very sure before you cut.

Otherwise, all I can suggest is to see if you can find wispies to frame your face, as Chromis said. There will always be shorter hairs, especially just in front of the ears, and if you encourage those out of your updo and give them a bit of styling it helps a lot. I mist them or run the wispies between wet fingers - a bit of aloe vera gel helps, too - and when they dry they curl into nice little locks and ringlets, instead of the "finger in the light socket" look I usually sport.

I'll see if I can find a pic of my tamed wispies for you.

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 11:19 PM
[quote=Teazel;1867502]I suppose it's no help to you if I say I'm envious of your thick hemline? :p :wink: I would love my hair to be like a cloak.quote]

Well, it's nice to hear that some people find that style pretty.

The grass is always greener on the other side, right? :p

Teazel
November 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Well, it's nice to hear that some people find that style pretty.

Absolutely I do. :) I wonder how your hem would look if you grew to ankle? :hmm:

Here's a couple of my pics for you, for what it's worth. Probably not the look you're after, but anyway....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/hair/soudrog.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/hair/215.jpg

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Ah, I see what you mean about the wispies. It looks lovely! The problem with mine is that they want to stick out at odd angles, not hang nice and neat like yours. Maybe if I used gel I could get them to behave.

ravenreed
November 16th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I mist my hair with rose water once I put it up. That makes the wispies curl up in a much more appealing way, as apposed to their normal 'finger in a light socket' look. I have even been known to curl some of the longer ones around my finger.

Amber_Maiden
November 16th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I think that if you decide to go with layers it would look very pretty. I've never had my hair as long as yours though, only to hip a couple of years ago. Now I'm growing it back.

heidihug
November 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM
It sounds to me like you would prefer your hair to be a different type than it is...? You have wavy/curly hair and you don't care for the way it looks when down because it poofs out more and more towards the hemline. The picture links you posted show that you would prefer slightly wavy to straight hair that lays flatter, and perhaps is layered a bit.

Well, for lack of a more constructive thing to say, join the rest of us in envying what you don't have! Hundreds of LHC members would surrender another body part to have the thickness and hemline that you do :) I have very nearly stick-straight and thin hair (just over 2" circumference at my nape), and to be honest, it's not much fun. The naturally occuring fairytale ends taper down so drastically towards my hemline, and my hair is so very delicate and floaty and wispy that I simply never wear it down. To do so damages it horribly.

I don't think there are very many people here who, at one time or another, haven't wanted their hair to be...well, not the way it is. If you think it would work for you, then you should get some long layers cut in. But do realize that, the shorter curly/wavy hair is, generally the more curly and wavy it appears. So what is being weighted down by length now may simply poof more when it's shorter. Whatever you decide, good luck and happy hair days!

MJheals
November 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57254&highlight=layers

Here's a how-to on cutting long layers. :)
I completely understand what you're saying about your hair, and I think long layers done right would look lovely. I feel I should warn you though, it's tough to get them right the first time. And as others have said, the ends on the shorter layers would poke out of braids and buns. If you feel that's a good compromise, and will make your hair look better to you when worn down, I say go for it. :)

A quick tip if you decide to cut; when I cut my layers in I put the ponytail too far back from my hairline, it gave me a very strange look. So do please make sure it's on your hairline or upper forehead. And I would take only the top half (say, from the ears up) of your hair for the layering at first. It creates a more subtle look, but if it's not to your liking you can repeat the cut with all of your hair.

HTH and good luck :)

cmg
November 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I think layering MIGHT be a solution, but it may also be not working at all. If you have medium/thick hair then it will just as well bounce about in a triangle or be wide after cutting. I sometimes did a center braid with about 1/4 of the hair to keep it from getting the triangle look. This was better. Layers didnt work for me, probably because I have fine hair. The got stuck everywhere. Anything I did outdoors was painful, the hair pulled everywhere. Once I got caught in a subway door. My length was under control, the layers got stuck!

Whatever you decide to do, keep it moisturized!

chelles2kids
November 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I agree with a hemline change/long layers...mine is only at waist now & I made the decision to cut some longer bangs into mine about 4 months ago...let's just say I'm not a happy camper...lol.
I even did a slight blend-in with my sides so they wouldn't look so 'choppy' compared to the rest of my hair...it didn't matter, they still look awful.

So now they are almost chin length and the rest of my hair is at my waist...not a good look, at least on me.;)

Orangerthanred
November 16th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I have plenty of ideas for styling hair without heat, if you want to know some. :D

chelles2kids
November 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM

The biggest difference I see between the two is the hemline...yours is more of a blunt hemline whereas the other picture looks more like a 'V' shape.

I keep mine in more of a blunt hemline as well, although I would think a 'V' would make it feel much lighter.
I'm always afraid to do a 'V' because I'm afraid it'll look all poofy around the top and then the ends might look too wispy...but again this is just on me.
Yours might do really well with a a slight 'V'.

Maybe start with a 'U' then wear it for a few months & see how you like it...if it's not working like you'd hoped you could always then do a slight 'V' without losing too much more hair? Just kinda thinking out loud here...

But I totally know how you feel with wanting a change-up, I think we all get into a rut from time to time & don't necessarily want to lose any length but just want something 'different'...especially as long as you've been growing yours.

Good luck in your decision!:flower:

cmg
November 16th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Having the hemline at the waist is a totally different thing from having it around the leg area. Layers work differently, everything is different in practical life. (Speaking from experience)

slz
November 16th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I think doing any change must be depending on how you wear your hair the most : layers that would look more to your liking when down, but be annoying whhen in braids or updos, would only be of any interest if you wear your hair down more than 50% of the time. Otherwise I don't think it'd be worth it.
I am around the same length as you, and since my hair is braided and/or up 90% of the time I wouldn't envision doing anything that would only improve the way it looks when down. Mostly I don't care much about how it looks down, anyway, which I agree is a bit weird :D .

VikingVampChick
November 16th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Sorry if I'm repeating (haven't read the whole thread yet). From the second pic, it seems that a BSL layer/bangs would work to thin up the sides.

VikingVampChick
November 16th, 2011, 04:16 PM
One of the reasons that I refuse to ever give up my layers is that otherwise I have pyramid head. Wavies seem to suffer from it quite a bit.

It's a curse, isn't it? Just loooove that pyramid I can get sometimes. :p

Teazel
November 16th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Ah, I see what you mean about the wispies. It looks lovely! The problem with mine is that they want to stick out at odd angles, not hang nice and neat like yours. Maybe if I used gel I could get them to behave.

I love your hair... In the fantasy books The Dragonlance Chronicles, there's a character named Goldmoon. She's described as a gorgeous woman with beautiful silver-gold hair. Your hair is what I imagined hers to look like. ^_^

Aw, thank you! :flowers: And believe me, my wispies need help to look the way they do in those photos. I'm always looking at people on TV with their hair clumping nicely and wonder how they do it. Probably got a stylist armed with gel and spray just off-screen. :D

lindaton
November 16th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Are you 'sure' you wouldnt like bangs? Anyway there is someone on here by the name of Bella I believe and she has really really thick hair and is a hairdresser. Maybe she has some advice for long layers. My hair is to my knees but I do have a little taper, not bad. I do understand where youre coming from. It is not comfortable wearing it down at all. I have pretty thick bangs/fringe cut so this helps a little.

EdG
November 16th, 2011, 06:57 PM
At your length, there is not much one can do to one's hair other than to admire it.
Ed

Autumn
November 16th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Your hair is so beautiful in your profile pic! My hair is just classic and I always wish for blunt, thick ends and hair closer to knee. I do everything I can to make my hair as thick as possible. :) I'm reluctant to recommend layers because I don't care for them in my own hair. I would try changing my down hairstyles first. What about a half-up/half/down? Maybe you could create some small accent braids near your face when your hair is down. These would use up some of the thickness

brickworld13
November 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Your profile pic is lovely! I'm not really sure what you could do with it that doesn't involve bangs. I hated them because I had to style them every day or they laid all funny. I vote that you keep it and look for new updos.

wallflower
November 17th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the helpful comments! I'm already feeling better about my hair since the trim. The ends look neater, it's easier to brush, and it doesn't feel like it's in the way anymore when I wear it down. Those ends just needed to go.

The reason I don't want actual bangs is I have a short forehead, so they wouldn't flatter my face shape. Asymmetrical bangs could work, though, since they lengthen the face.

When I say the thickness of my hair is bothering me, I don't mean the waviness or the thickness of individual hairs. My hair is actually pretty fine, but there's just soooo much of it that when it's all down it looks bulky.

I have plenty of ideas for styling hair without heat, if you want to know some.

I'd love to hear them!

Beatnik Guy
December 4th, 2011, 09:11 AM
there's just soooo much of it that when it's all down it looks bulky.
This is bad...? :wink:

jojo
December 4th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I mist my hair with rose water once I put it up. That makes the wispies curl up in a much more appealing way, as apposed to their normal 'finger in a light socket' look. I have even been known to curl some of the longer ones around my finger.

what a brilliant idea, I have some rose water too! thanks for sharing!

vanity_acefake
December 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
As for amazing styles look up arc691. She has the most amazing ankle length hair and her updos are fantastic.

BlazingHeart
December 4th, 2011, 11:15 AM
My hair is similarly thick and at the time I last cut layers, it was about as wavy as yours. I had hip length hair at the time, and did layers where the shortest one came up to my chin.

It was a disaster. My hair poofed terribly. I looked like a country singer from the 70s or 80s - hair EVERYWHERE.

Maybe longer layers would work better than mine did, but I figured I'd put my experience here, since your hair type is so similar to mine.

~Blaze