PDA

View Full Version : Salsa dancer hair story :) Should I grow my bangs?

Martukita
November 15th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Hello!
This is one of my first posts, so I'll explain a bit about myself (about my hair, actually). Firstly sorry about my English, it is not my first language so I will probably make lots of mistakes.

My hair is very curly, frizzy and thin, like in the picture at the top in the middle, so I hardly ever used to wear it loose (always buns, ponytails and half updos).

Two years ago I started dancing salsa, and then my hair began to worry me a lot; my bangs would get even more frizzy and curly when I was social dancing, and so did the rest of my hair. I was really upset because on salsa dancing it is very fashionable to wear your hair loose because then it's so sexy and beautiful when you turn and spin!! So I decided to do something with my hair, and I did myself at home two keratin treatments, with some formol (less than 2%, which is the legal limit here in Spain) to straighten it.

It has been the best thing I could have done to my hair, cause now my hair is not that curly anymore and I can wear it loose either curly, wavy or straightened, because it is so manegeable:crush: Of course this treatment has turn into much breakage and split ends long term, but it worths that side effects!

Now I want to grow my hair waist length to make my salsa spins even more sexy :p

Also, I have had bangs all my life because I have a huge forehead (as you can see in the third picture) which I hate, but now I wonder if maybe larger bangs, or side swept or even grow them completely would suit me. My boyfriend and my mum always tell me that they like me a lot with my bangs out of my face, but I'm not sure... what you ladies think about it?

Here you have some recent pictures of my hair:

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h471/Martukita_bcn/Bangs.jpg

Here, dancing salsa. The three pictures on the top are before the keratin treatment and the other three after. Such a difference, don't you think so? :)

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h471/Martukita_bcn/Salsahair.jpg

Here, my hair when I style it for a night out, with my hot rollers:
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h471/Martukita_bcn/Dibujo.jpg

I know I have damage on it,but I have begun to take care of it, I've given up the straightener, only using hot rollers few times, I'm deep conditioning with the SMT once or twice a week and cleaning it with a sulfate and cone free shampoo (I don't like the idea of co-washing, at the moment...).

That's all for now! Looking forward your opinion about my bangs, thanks a lot!:eek:

Amber_Maiden
November 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I really do like bangs on you, you look very pretty with them.

GlennaGirl
November 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I LOVE the bangs. They're so sexy with your whole look. You look very pretty both ways but I do think bangs suit you.

jaine
November 15th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I like the bangs too ... even though I rarely like bangs on anyone, I think they look good on you.

The picture that shows your forehead might be skewed by the camera angle at least a little ... your forehead is the closest thing to the camera.

Yozhik
November 15th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I think bangs are very cute on you!

They make me want to get some. ;)

Martukita
November 15th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the compliments!! :) What about letting them grow just until nose lenght?

Yes, the picture has an angle because we were taking the photo ourselves, but believe me that my forehead still looks that big when looking forward! :rolleyes:

Vanilla
November 15th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I like your sideswept bangs in the second picture the best. I love your straightened hair!

My mom has very wavy and frizzy hair and she gets keratin treatments and also loves the results.

Yozhik
November 15th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I do like the way your longer bangs look, so go ahead and grow them to nose length and see how you like them then. :flower:

blondie9912
November 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM
You're one of the few people I really like bangs on :) I love the length they're at in your last photo- not too short, not too long. I wouldn't recommend getting them cut any thicker, because that will probably make the rest of your hair look thinner, and make your forehead look bigger. By the way, there's nothing wrong with your forehead at all :D I have a high forehead myself, and I found when I cut very thick, heavy, straight bangs several years ago it just drew attention to the fact that I was trying to hide it.

dRummie
November 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I actually really like the headband picture, but the bangs look great, too! I think if I were you I'd go with the longer bangs, and still make liberal use of headbands ;)

Btw, I've also been dancing salsa for about 2 years. It's interesting that you purposefully leave your hair down. It does look very sexy, but I had to give up on wearing it down after it got long enough to hit my partners in the face :o

UltraBella
November 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I adore you with bangs !!!!!!! I think they will get in the way more if you grow them longer. You look so stylish with the shorter bangs, you are very lucky :)

Martukita
November 16th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone for your opinions! I think at the moment I'll grow them longer and see if I like them.

Ultrabella I really love your hair! That's the look I'm looking for my hair!!! :crush: Are you wearing long bangs? Or it's just your curls styled that way? Your style covers some of the forehead so maybe I will copy you!!! :p

raehysteric
November 16th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I think the long sidebangs would suit you perfectly. Mine have grown out to what the OP has in the middle picture in the first row.. it tends to frizz and curl like mad on certain days, so I usually try to keep some bobbypins or a cute clip to pull them back and blend it into the rest of my hair. Very helpful while i try to grow them out to nose-length!

Ultrabella I really love your hair! That's the look I'm looking for my hair!!! :crush: Are you wearing long bangs? Or it's just your curls styled that way? Your style covers some of the forehead so maybe I will copy you!!! :p

Either way she does it, it really breaks up the length of her hair and her facial proportions rather nicely. That's why some bangs tend to look better on certain people, not everyone NEEDS a layer that high up in the face and some just look really wonky with it.

Martukita
November 21st, 2011, 02:20 PM
More opinions anyone? :rolleyes: :o

spidermom
November 21st, 2011, 07:23 PM
I like the curly ponytail pictures the best. As for bangs, I'm not a fan.

Martukita
November 24th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I like the curly ponytail pictures the best. As for bangs, I'm not a fan.
Really? I think those curls I had were soooo awful! :(

Hollyfire3
November 24th, 2011, 07:59 AM
How could you possibly think those curls were awful?! I LOVE them! But, then again, my hair is type iii quite solidly with big waves and curls everywhere, so i don't mind big hair. Just wondeing, if you have thin hair like you say, how did the keritain treatments make it look so thick when straight? I think your hair looks very thick to me, but i also know people whose curly hair can be misleading when looking for thickness. Either way, bangs, no bangs, straight, curly i love you hair!

starshade
November 24th, 2011, 08:09 AM
You look very pretty with bangs, but I imagine longer (nose-length) would get in your eyes when you dance?? I definitely like the curly/ wavy hair as well. It looks so sexy flying around when you spin!

Martukita
November 24th, 2011, 08:22 AM
My hair is really really thin, maybe the thinnest in the world?:confused: haha:p But I have tons of it, so overall it looks thicker... don't know if I explain it clear, I mean just one hair is very thin, but as I have lot of hair I'm an ii-iii in the third classifier, so I get a lot of volume.
I like my hair when it's wavy, but not that curly! It's so difficult to style it :rolleyes:
All my hair goes around my face when dancing, not only te bangs, so that wouldn't be an issue for me. I'm letting them grow a bit and see if I like my bangs longer and if not, I'll trim again:o

Yame
November 24th, 2011, 08:50 AM
You mean to say your individual strands are fine. Here when we say "thin" we usually mean the overall circumference of the pony tail or amount of hair, and the opposite of that is "thick." When we are talking about individual strands we say "fine" and the opposite is "coarse."

I think your natural texture is very nice. As your hair grows, the natural texture will come through and you will have to do the keratin treatment again. If it's a damading treatment, you will keep damaging your hair and if your hair is fine and not very resilient, it might hamper your growth.

My recommendation would be to embrace your natural texture and learn how to work with it to make it look its best, and easier to handle. I don't have advice since my hair is straight, but many of our wavy and curly members could help with that.

As for the bangs, I like the longer bangs the best.

Martukita
November 24th, 2011, 08:56 AM
You mean to say your individual strands are fine. Here when we say "thin" we usually mean the overall circumference of the pony tail or amount of hair, and the opposite of that is "thick." When we are talking about individual strands we say "fine" and the opposite is "coarse."

I think your natural texture is very nice. As your hair grows, the natural texture will come through and you will have to do the keratin treatment again. If it's a damading treatment, you will keep damaging your hair and if your hair is fine and not very resilient, it might hamper your growth.

My recommendation would be to embrace your natural texture and learn how to work with it to make it look its best, and easier to handle. I don't have advice since my hair is straight, but many of our wavy and curly members could help with that.

As for the bangs, I like the longer bangs the best.

Oh thanks a lot! My English is not very good! :p So then I meant to say I have fine but thick hair!

And yes, I'm not going to do the keratin treatment again as I don't think I need it, maybe I will do it only on my bangs because I always straighten them and it helps me a lot!

turtlelover
November 24th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I think I'd like bangs just hitting at eyebrow level the best

Lostsoule77
November 24th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I like your bangs in the second and last pictures, where they are hitting your eyebrows. I think they complement your face quite nicely.

As for the Salsa photos I actually prefer the curly ones. I think curls are beautiful and I love the way they stand out in blonde/light hair.

ktani
November 24th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I agree with the others that said bangs suit you. You look lovely with them. They "soften" your look.

However, I think you look great without them too, just different.

You are very fortunate in that you wear both looks very well.

I would keep the bangs for variety, and within that you can very the length and not restrict yourself. Bangs grow in for most people, fairly quickly, as opposed to waiting for your hemline to gain length for wearing up.

Martukita
November 30th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Just found today a picture when my bangs were longer...

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h471/Martukita_bcn/f1.jpg

I don't know what to do now, my bangs are just touching my eyes and I am hating this lenght... :rolleyes: shoul I wait until they are nose lenght or trim them again? :confused: