PDA

View Full Version : Pantyhose to hair-ties------help?

cheetahfast
November 15th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I have a pair of black tights that have a hole in the upper thigh. I don't wear them once they rip and this one is pretty big. I remember reading that some members here cut the foot tips off of pantyhose and then just cut straight across bands to make hair-ties. I have 2 questions.

1. Are these non (or less) damaging than other hair-ties?
(I usually use the "baby" hair-ties that are really puffy and soft. That is if I'm using any, I like spin-pins better :D.)

2. How thick should I cut the strips?

pink.sara
November 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I do this with tights I've killed!
I need a pretty durable pony band as my hair is super thick so I cut wide strips about 4 fingers across.
Or for little thin bands to end plaits I cut a few that are only 1inch thick.
When you stretch then the edges roll in to cover any rough edges too.

Dead useful!
Ooh, and much better than elastic middle bands as they are super soft like the baby fabric ones :)

krissykins
November 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM
These are way less damaging that normal hair ties, at least for me. I cut two inch strips. It looks like your hair is shorter than mine, so I would suggest one to one and a half inch strips.

Kyla
November 15th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I do this, and also feel like it's much less damaging. I just cut random thick strips and tie the ends together.

cheetahfast
November 16th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I cut some today. I'm wearing one right now, they're so much better than my other hair-ties. I made some 1 inch and 1 and 1/2 inch.