PDA

View Full Version : Would like honest opinions; feeling discouraged....

girlcat36
November 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I have been at LHC for over 4 years, and hoping every year that my hair would magically 'get better'.
I have had a lot of medical problems which have affected my hair, and these problem are not going away I have to be realistic about it.
My hair is baby-fine and thin, with a 2.25" ponytail tapering down to basically nothing on the ends. I kept believing that the thickness would travel down if I just microtrimmed the scraggly ends away. I did this faithfully over the last four years(only gaining 10" length in 4 years), and now I know that for me, the thickness is NEVER going to travel down.
My hair does grow .5-.6" per month, but it's the shedding that is causing the scraggly length. I don't have split ends, and I am very gentle with my hair, so it's not mechanical damage causing this.

So I'm at a crossroads.
I'm a longhair at heart, I have zero interest in being in the latest hairstyle, or even stepping foot in a salon. I'm wondering if I should just admit defeat and maintain my hair at 22" where the ends seem to be thicker, no matter how long my hair gets. I am at 28" right now, so close to waist!
I guess I wonder too, if behind my back people are saying how awful and scraggly my hair is, and why don't I cut it? I know it looks like I don't take care of my hair, but I really do!!

My hair currently:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/LHC%20pictures/014-1.jpg

And here is my hair two years ago at 22"

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/LHC%20pictures/9071-1.jpg

ETA:

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread, I have decided not to cut my hair back to APL. I was having a bad week(or month, or year...) and wasn't feeling great about my hair. I was looking at what I thought it should be instead of how it really is. I guess it may have some redeeming qualities and you all have made me look at my hair in a different way. I really do not want to cut it; that wouldn't make me happy, it would just put me into mourning. I will continue to microtrim each month to keep it healthy.
Thank you---all of you---who posted such lovely comments about my hair! You all have kept me going through the four years I have been at LHC.

You told to keep perservering even when my hair looked like this in November 2007:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/P1010016-1.jpg

It has come a long way since I took that picture! Thanks for supporting me when I was weak! :)

GlennaGirl
November 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Girlcat, I'm going to say this straight-out and it is NOT to make you feel better. It isn't to sound nice.

I love love love the way your curls separate and fan across your back. I have always loved your hair. I remember when you posted about chemotherapy. At that time, we were all just cheering you on to get better. That was the main thing.

Now, putting all that aside and with a critical eye I can say, plain and simple: your hair is beautiful. Beautiful. It curls amazingly, it fans out like a waterfall of waves. When I see people here and there with curls like yours (it's rare) I give a little gasp because, well, what a sight. Just...how pretty.

It is up to you what you want to do with your hair. But I would cry to see you cut it. I would do it quietly because it would be your decision and who the hell am I, anyway? :) But that's it. I know this sounds gushy. But it's 100% honesty. I'm sure others will chime in. But to me, you have incredible hair...I personally would not cut.

ktani
November 15th, 2011, 12:04 PM
You and I may not always agree but I think your hair now looks great!

Do not be discouraged. It most certainly does not look as if you do not care for it.

Keep going toward your goal. You can always cut it back if you want to but I do not think you need to do that.

SpinDance
November 15th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I'm with GlennaGirl, your hair is beautiful. I understand about ends thinning and having to decide what you want to do with it because of that, all too well. However, your curls are beautiful. Are they as thick at the ends as farther up? Nope. Does it look thicker at the ends at 22"? Yup. Is your hair lovely, curly and shiny at the current length? Yup, absolutely!

If I had those lovely curls I'd be much less concerned about the thinning lengths than I am with my neither this-nor-that barely wavy hair.

However, what matters is what you think, how you feel about your hair. If you like how it looks better shorter, well, that's a decision you can make. If you want to run the experiment longer and see if you are OK with the thinner ends when it's longer, that's OK, too. Either way you've got lovely hair and lovely curls, so from here I don't see a downside to anything that makes you happy.

Amber_Maiden
November 15th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I also think your hair looks great. To me it looks healthy!

Kiwiwi
November 15th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Oh, no. I think your hair looks very fairytalish! I love it! It's very dreamy. I don't know, I can't find the word ^_^
Honestly, truly, this is my opinion.

Also; don't worry about what others might think, dear. It's so completely unimportant! Plus you simply don't -know- what people think, don't think for others. Always remember; those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.

If there's one thing I learnt at LHC it's to embrace and love my natural hair. I've been fighting and not understanding my curly hair my whole life. I strongly disliked my hair. Now I know how to take care of it and my hair is like my baby now. I love it and enjoy it just the way it is. Flaws and all. It's all it can be.

MissAlida
November 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Your hair is very beautiful, those long curls flowing down on your back, are very pretty. I think your hair looks better at 28'' that at 22''. I am just realizing, that being a thin haired girl is hard. I have shed for the past 2 years(due to stress), and became a i/ii myself. I am ashamed to wear my hair in a ponytail, and I know that thin hair looks even worse if it is also curly. I find that wrapping my hair helps me at times, when I just can't take it how thin my curls and overal hair is. I can even wear my hair in a pony when I wrap it. This is the method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp-0Ru_OD90
I think you shouldn't cut it. I know it's hard, I often get the urge to cut but I said to myself, that I want to reach goal. If I don't like it, then I will cut it. But only after I've reached my goal. So, happy growing.:D

sun-kissed
November 15th, 2011, 12:13 PM
GlennaGirl says it all, your hair is from a fairy tale. It'd beautiful. Please never cut it. The curls fall over your back in such a lovely manner, I can't even describe. My word. Don't be sad that you where blessed with such a rare head of hair. Wear it and own it, it's amazing.

Nera
November 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Your hair doesn't look like it's not taken care of at all! The hair is in good condition and it's incredibly shiny.. I feel bad for you because of how you feel about your hair, but I agree with the two posters above me! You really pull your current hair off, and you can always cut it later, if you still feel bad about it.

I really think you should do what feels right for you. You can still be a longhair at heart with shorter hair than you have now. There are people here, with incredible, healthy hair that is way shorter than yours, and still admirable.

Nera
November 15th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I would like to add that I really hope you will find a way to be happier about your hair!

PinkyCat
November 15th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Your curls are perfect - not a fluff or frizz or fuzz in sight! I don't think it looks thin - just nice and clumped together and so shiney. You have princess Eowyn hair but with better curls!

I wouldn't cut it! It's so beautiful!

spidermom
November 15th, 2011, 12:33 PM
You know I wouldn't B.S. you, right?

Your hair is lovely just as it is. I think you're lucky that you have spiral curls, otherwise it might look scraggly. But the way it curls makes it absolutely lovely. I would keep with the teeny-tiny trims and let it grow.

ravenreed
November 15th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I adore curly hair and would love to be able to have curls like yours. My hair is layered and thins at the end. To my eye, it just looks like you put layers in. Ultimately you have to decide what looks best to you, but I think that you have lovely hair and wouldn't give up on it.

islandboo
November 15th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I understand where you are coming from because my hair is the same way. I have phenomenal taper and it is also due to my shedding pattern. I often wonder if I should just give up and cut back to APL or shorter to get a thicker hemline. But - I like my long hair. I like how it feels against my back. I like being able to do intricate updos (and play with the zillions of dollars of hairtoys I have accumulated). And even when I do wear it shorter, it still gets a little piece-y. So I stick with wearing it long because that's how I like it regardless of what other people think.

I think you should do what will make you happy, not what will make other people happy. If that means chopping, chop away. If you like it long, keep it. It looks healthy, shiny and lovely to me, but my opinion really doesnt matter any more than those people who may or may not be talking behind your back

AngelDella
November 15th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Oh my...no way would I cut it if I had your hair! Your hair is lovely...unique:)

CariadA
November 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM
My honest opinion is also that your hair looks beautiful the way it is. I think it looks healthy and well cared for. I like your hemline- you're curls seems to cascade down your back.

Pixna
November 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I agree with what others have already said: your hair is lovely. Curly hair often separates into strands like yours, and it looks beautiful. I'm actually surprised at the number of curly heads I see with hair that is on the thinner side. I don't think that's uncommon for curly hair. In fact, the curls make thinner hair look thicker (most people think curly hair is tough, coarse, and thick, when it's often just the opposite).

My hair isn't as curly as yours (it's just mildly wavy), and when I wash and dry it without combing it, it clumps into strands like yours. The problem with mine, though, is that the strands aren't curly, so my hair just looks flat and greasy (even if it's clean). So I comb it to make it look fluffy and thicker and fuller than it actually is. But if I had real curls, like you do, I wouldn't touch it.

I concur that the mini-trims are the way to go, er, grow. Your hair is perfect just as it is. And if anyone is talking about you behind your back, they're simply saying how gorgeous you are!!!

VikingVampChick
November 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Oh, no. I think your hair looks very fairytalish! I love it! It's very dreamy. I don't know, I can't find the word ^_^
Honestly, truly, this is my opinion.

Also; don't worry about what others might think, dear. It's so completely unimportant! Plus you simply don't -know- what people think, don't think for others. Always remember; those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.

If there's one thing I learnt at LHC it's to embrace and love my natural hair. I've been fighting and not understanding my curly hair my whole life. I strongly disliked my hair. Now I know how to take care of it and my hair is like my baby now. I love it and enjoy it just the way it is. Flaws and all. It's all it can be.

GlennaGirl says it all, your hair is from a fairy tale. It'd beautiful. Please never cut it. The curls fall over your back in such a lovely manner, I can't even describe. My word. Don't be sad that you where blessed with such a rare head of hair. Wear it and own it, it's amazing.

***THIS***

I wish my waves/wurls looked like your curls. The taper looks beautiful - very fairy-tale ish. I love fairy tale ends :)

skyblue
November 15th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I agree!! Your hair is way too gorgeous to cut!
You do what feels best for you but really I love how
your hair likes to clump together like that and your curls are so pretty!

QMacrocarpa
November 15th, 2011, 12:50 PM
You have beautiful hair! If it were mine, I'd keep it all! :D

GeoJ
November 15th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I think your hair looks pretty and well cared for, but I understand how you feel. I've had tons of shedding too, so I know that my hair looks unkempt to most people, even though it's healthy to the ends.

RedDevil
November 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM
DONT CUT! Your hair is what I hope to have one day! If you look at my pics you will understand ;)

error
November 15th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I am going to add to this and be brutally honest , I actually love the texture of you're hair , it looks beautfully maintained and the curl separation is actually very intriguing and gorgeous! You yourself said you have been battling illness for years so just keep on truckin and keep growing that hair !

xoxophelia
November 15th, 2011, 01:36 PM
It might just be a flattering photo but I think it would be a rare exception for somebody to dislike your hair even secretly. Your hair looks shiny and forms nice curls.

But what you should do really depends on how you feel about it. If you feel it holds you back to not cut your hair then go for it. On the other hand, if you really want long hair I see no issue with growing or maintaining.

kitschy
November 15th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I think you should keep your long hair. It is totally lovely!

Fairytale
November 15th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I simply love your hair :cheese:dont get discouraged just keep on going its just one of those days that you feel everything looks awful.

I go through these days too, please dont cut it!:(

It will get there look at all that progress already!

Madora
November 15th, 2011, 01:47 PM
If it is any comfort to you, curlier hair takes longer to grow because of its tendency to break. That being said, your hair looks lovely and shows that you have been taking good care of it.

Now, as far as comments go about your ends being scragly, why don't you try wearing your hair up. Then no one will notice the ends and you'll be protecting them as well.

ladonna
November 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Wow your hair is so pretty!! It similar to my 3 yr old daughter's hair! I love seeing pictures and thinking oh this child's hair is going to look like in a few years.

faithsdaisy421
November 15th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I think you hair is lovely! I think you are being very hard on yourself!!

Medusa
November 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I don't have the practiced eye many of the posters here have...but I really don't see anything wrong with your hair. It looks lovely and shiny to me.

girlcat36
November 15th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Glenna Girl--thank you! That was a lovely comment! :blossom:

Ktani--thank you! I am using oils creatively again, and it is helping my curl formation.

SpinDance--thank you for being honest; yes it is quite a but thicker at 22", but it's nice to know despite that, I should keep on going.

Amber Maiden---thank you! :)

Kiwiwi---that was such a nice compliment!

Miss Alida--we have the same hairtype!!! So unusual! Thank you, I will check out that video.

sun-kissed---thank you so much for such a nice compliment!

Nera--thank you, I'm going to start thinking some positive hair thoughts!

Pinky Cat--Princess Eowyn hair?? Thank you--I love that!

Spidermom---Thank you. And yes, you are a no BS kind of gal. One can always count on you for an honest comment.

ravenreed---thank you! :)

islandboo---thanks, I am glad you like your long hair, inspite of shedding. Your comment made me realize that I like my long hair, too.

Thank you, AngellDella!

CariadA--thank you so much!

Pixna---thank you :D

VikingVampChick--thank you, I'm going to appreciate my fairytale ends more!

Skyblue--thanks for your opinion, I will continue to only microtrim!

Qmacrocarpa--thank you!

GeoJ--thank you. BOOOO to shedding!

RedDevil--I looked at your pics! Our hair is so similar; so I know you understand. Sometimes I feel compelled to keep going just so others who have our hairtype will have some inspiration.

error--thank you so much, I will keep on truckin'.

Thanks, xoxophelia, I really do want long hair!

kitschy--thank you, I will keep it!

Fairytale--thank you. I thinks it's been one of those weeks where everything seems awful. The comments in this thread have inspired me to keep growing.

Madora--thank you! Updos are a challenge. Because my hair is so thin I get a lot of scalp cleavage, and I think I attempted the worlds smallest braided bun last week. Updos really make me aware of my hair's thinness since I sort of end up with a 'skinned rat' look :mad: Also--the short growing in hairs make a flyaway mess! One thing about my hair is that it never looks neat.

ladonna---LOL; I have always said I have the hair of a three year old!

faithsdaisy---thank you; I probably am being a little hard on myself this week.

*Seraphina*
November 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM
please don't cut it :) Your hair looks lovely! I love your curls :)
I hope you will be satisfied with your hair soon.

girlcat36
November 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM
So I think my problem is that I started working at a swanky hair salon. I don't actually work 'in' the salon, but I do maintenance work. Cleaning, painting, gardening, small repairs....and I have had to meet and be around the salon girls, who are totally made up, hair styled and fashionably dressed. And here was me with my frizzy, straggly hair, no make-up, and my work clothes on. I felt like they were thinking I should be in one of those What not to Wear episodes or something.

Then, I started looking at all my old hair progress pictures which clearly showed that the thickness was not moving down, and probably never would!!! So I thought to myself maybe it would be better if I just stopped this crazy long haired journey and cut my hair to a reasonable length and be done with it.

Thank you everybody who responded, I value all of your opinions. I have to say that I was surprised that no one recommended cutting back. So my hair is safe from the scissors for now, I will keepo on keeping on!

Thank you all!

holothuroidea
November 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Oh man, if you think that's scraggly you do not even want to imagine what my hair was like when it was long. My hair faded into so much nothingness it was impossible to tell where it ended!

From these pictures I think your hair looks much better longer, it flatters your figure and looks very romantic. I think it's beautiful and if you're comfortable with it you shouldn't change a thing. I also don't think it would be as flattering on you if it were thicker.

It looks very well taken care of, too. It's obvious to me that you care about your hair and I think just the time and attention you give to it comes through.

girlcat36
November 15th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Seraphina--thank you!

holothuroidea---That's how I feel about my hair--that it fades into nothingness! It looks much better photographed against a dark shirt. When it is photographed against a white shirt, you can barely see it! Thank you for saying it looks better longer.

redmj
November 15th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I love your hair at the length it is. I think the ends are beautiful and healthy looking.

holothuroidea
November 15th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I need to find pictures of my scraggly hair, I've been thinking about posting them for a while just so people will believe how truly scraggly it was. My hair had so much damage that I had a broken-hair halo. Your hair is NOT scraggly, it is lovely. I can see the tips of your curls.

Your hair reminds me of when I was a kid I used to make "wigs" for myself out of curly Christmas ribbon. That's what it looks like to me, curly satin ribbons. :D Embrace what you have because it is lovely.

girlcat36
November 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Your hair reminds me of when I was a kid I used to make "wigs" for myself out of curly Christmas ribbon. That's what it looks like to me, curly satin ribbons. :D Embrace what you have because it is lovely.

Awwww, thank you!

Violettwin
November 15th, 2011, 02:27 PM
:) I just want to touch your hair, it looks so nice & curly :)

Annibelle
November 15th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I'm not a big fan of FTE, but I LOVE them on curlies! Yours look beautiful. :heart: But your shorter hair photo also looked really pretty. :) And I'm sure you'll look great at a longer length, too!

Lize
November 15th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I have always found your hair beautiful. You have lovely curls. Like others have said I think your hair looks like it is taken out of a fairy tale. I don't see any reason for you to cut. Do what makes you happy though. :)

HuggyBear
November 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I agree with everyone else. Your curls are gorgeous as they are. After looking at your album, I couldn't imagine why you would feel the way you do at work. You and your hair are very pretty. :)

Carolyn
November 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM
We are always our own worst critics! I love the way your curls cling together. You have such a nice curl formation. That alone, makes your hair look thick. You have a nice rich color and a lovely shine. I don't see any reason to cut any unless you are having a yen for shorter hair. If you like your length, keep it, don't change it.

Mesmerise
November 15th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I personally think your hair is very pretty!

BUT I understand your frustration with it too. I even think in your position I'd be feeling the same way, because I hate my own thin ends,and while I think your curls look pretty, I can see why having them the way they are (kinda gappy) could make you feel bad about them.

But yeah, as everyone else said, your curls ARE pretty even if they're not thick! I can't imagine anyone looking at your hair and thinking it was uncared for or straggly.

But yeah, at the moment I am still thinking about chopping my own hair to APL to get rid of the thinner ends (even though I've already cut off quite a bit this year). Mine are also due to shedding, and I still have the hope that over time I will be able to have thicker hair at longer lengths.

Other times I think I should just get it to waist and maintain and be patient.

It is hard to know what to do!!

jeanniet
November 15th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I think your fairytale ends are quite lovely, and your hair overall looks healthy. The curls really make it work. If you like the length, I'd leave it the way it is, because it looks just fine and not scraggly at all (if that's what you're most worried about).

Jimothea
November 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Your hair is beautiful!

It looks like what I've always thought of as "princess hair." You know; long, perfectly coiled, light enough to blow in the wind and look like something out of a book. And the natural taper works wonderfully for you; with that beautiful coil pattern you have, maintaining a thicker hemline could get tricky, giving you a triangle-effect or causing fights with certain updos. Of course this is all my opinion, and I admit that I am horribly biased; I've always wanted the curl pattern you have, and I'm on a long hair forum! What you've been doing so far is obviously working fabulously; I was especially surprised to see you mention health issues....your hair does not look unhealthy, unkept or any un- thing. At all. :)

That said, do what makes you feel best about yourself, and rock it. We'll support whatever you decide to do with that beautiful head of hair!

infinity_girl
November 15th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I think your hair looks lovely. You have some of the nicest curls I have seen on LHC.

jojo
November 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I know you worry over the thickness and you know me I say it as it is and your hair is gorgeous, you have such a pretty curl pattern. I have always admired your hair and it always reminds me of princess hair. It looks healthy and well looked after, your doing good it will take longer to get to say waist but you know what? the best comes to those who wait!

ps I wouldnt cut please and if i hear any talk of it i shall personally swim over there and hide your scissors :D

irishlady
November 15th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Very honestly: I absolutely love your hair!!

anka.ch
November 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I wouldnt't cut it either. At the current photo your hair look very healthy and shiny, I can't imagine anybody saying that they look awful!

UltraBella
November 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I am not normally one to jump on the bandwagon, but I agree with everyone. I think your hair is lovely. I also think it's too early to give up on the thickness moving down towards your ends, four years feels like a long time, but I don't think you should give up on it yet. Continue the micro trims and be patient. Your hair just might surprise you ;)

Pixna
November 15th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Girlcat, a coupla other points. Your hemline is fabulous. And your curl pattern starts lower on your head, so the longer your hair gets, the better your curls will look (which is hard to imagine, since they look so awesome already!). If you cut your hair shorter or maintain your current length, you will be cutting your curls short (literally and figuratively).

Juneii
November 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM
your hair is so beautiful and lovely. The fairytale ends look perfect on your curly hair. HOWEVER if the thin ends bother you and doesn't feel as healthy as you want then I would encourage you to keep it at 22" and do micro trims there. Maybe the damage is travelling up the length of your hair faster than you can trim it away?

chou
November 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Oh my god your hair is perfect, don't do a thing to it! Perhaps there is some thinning, but if there is it is the best kind where your hair gradually flows into individual locks of spiral curls. Seriously, your hair is gorgeous.

Navydoc_76
November 15th, 2011, 03:46 PM
i personally think your hair is very pretty! i love the curls, and it reminds me of fairy hair! lol.. but i know ultimately you need to do what makes you happy....

CurlyZ
November 15th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Maybe God didn't give you super thick hair, but instead the prettiest curls ever!
I like your hair and don't really get why you are so sad because of them!?! :shrug:
Your hair looks very beautiful to me. This is how I imagine a fairy would look like!

julliams
November 15th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I think your hair looks great. I love how the curls sit in chunks (this is my term for how I like my waves to sit) and I really think you have gained a really good amount of length in 2 years considering the curl in your hair. I think the image you have of your hair is different to what I'm seeing in those photos. Fine curly hair looks so delicate to me and pretty. I think that if you are a longhair at heart, your current style suits you very much and I would continue to grow or keep it at this current length. I wouldn't cut unless you needed to because I love how your hemline looks - it's very fairytale.

lw8666
November 15th, 2011, 04:03 PM
My honest opinion is that your hair is amazing. Curls are amazing too!

If I saw this picture of your hair without reading anything, I wouldn't think there is anything wrong with it at all.

Stay positive and don't be discouraged. You have made a lot of progress.

Lamb
November 15th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm not a fan of fairy-tale ends, or of hair that's thin and fine and untrimmed but loooooong.

That said, girlcat, I think your hair looks FINE. The curls save it from looking any other way. You don't have stringy ends, or rat-tails or whatever else going on: you have spiral curls, tendrils, floating down your back. Beautifully maintained curls.

Keep up with microtrimming to avoid damage (baby-fine hair needs trims), but other than that - no, don't cut you curls. :crush:

teal
November 15th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I like it and I think you should grow it out to fairytale ends. You see how on the sides the ringlets slowly come to a point? That is a look many would kill for. Seriously. And you, you lucky girl, you get that naturally!

Besides that, I think if you like it, then keep it. To hell with whatever people are saying behind your back... people have been sniping at other people's looks behind their backs since the dawn of time and there is no sense in wasting any of your precious time caring about those opinions. You're growing your hair for YOU, right?

Xi
November 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Don't be discouraged by slow growth, girlcat -- my hair took about 17 years (with no trims!) to reach tailbone length. Your lovely curls are making progress -- don't despair! :)

Beauty is not an objective thing -- those fashionistas at the salon may have their perspective, but it really has no impact on how anyone else happens to view things. I think we all have moments of dissatisfaction with our hair, but if we also have good moments -- an unexpectedly becoming updo, a shining in the sunlight, a soft lock brushing the back of an arm -- why then, our hair is beautiful in our own eyes. The fashionable ones would not approve of my hair; I cordially hope all their dye, layers, and make-up bring them as much contemplative pleasure as I have while combing out my long hair by the fire of a winter's eve.

TrudieCat
November 15th, 2011, 04:55 PM
You've always been one of my hair inspirations here, even though our hair is not alike - but I've always thought your hair was just jaw-droppingly gorgeous and I still do! It does not look unhealthy in any way to me.

But. As in everything else in life, you have to do what makes you happy. :flower: That is the most important thing.

My honest opinion, though, is that your hair is beautiful and unique and special for exactly what it is. :)

Nae
November 15th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I think your hair looks so much better long. (It is pretty when it is short too don't get me wrong.) But, wow, those long curls are just so soft and romantic. Just wow.

I think your ringlets are lovely. Just so you know.

girlcat36
November 15th, 2011, 05:53 PM
violettwin--- :)

Annibelle--thank you, I am dying to get to a longer length!

Thank you, Lize!

Huggybear---thank you so much. Guess I was just feeling inadequate that day at work. :rolleyes:

Carolyn---thank you! And I really don't want short hair!

Mesmerise--it is hard to know what to do when you have these types of hair problems!(PS--don't cut!)

jeanniet--thank you! :)

jimothea---thank you! You are right, I have very fine floaty hair, and even though it is thin, I do need length to weigh it down. Thin or not, I still end up with a bit of triangle head at shorter lengths.

infinity girl---thank you, what a nice compliment! :D

Thank you, jojo---you have long been one of my cheerleaders! I am tempted to still threaten to cut to see you swim 3,000 miles!

Thank you, irishlady! Love your siggy!

Thank you, UltraBella! Four years seems like a really long time, but I'm patient; I'll keep on going.

Pixna--you might be right about my curls, maybe they will get even better as I gain length.

Juneii---thanks for your input; I would totally cut it back if it was damaged, but it's not, so that was my dilemma.

chou---:D!

Navy doc 76--thank you!!!

Curly Z---thank you, I love that everyone keeps calling it 'fairy' hair!

julliams--thank you, I probably am being a little harsh, and not seeing what everyone else is. As Carolyn said, we ARE our own worst critics.

lw866---thank you!

Thanks for chiming in Lamb; I know you always give your honest opinion.

teal--thank you, I never noticed that about my curls! And yes--I am growing my hair for me!

Xi--well said, that was a lovely comment!

Aw, TrudieCat---thank you so much!

Nae--thank you---I had never even considered that it might look better long. I am always fighting to try and make it look as good as I thought it did at a shorter length.

jojo
November 15th, 2011, 06:00 PM
LOL! id do it too :D another thing to consider is you had problems with that bit at the back, that you tried (and succeeded ) with monistat, now eventually those re-grown bits will reach the longer bits and this will add quite a bit of bulk. Seriously having long hair on the thinner side is not a problem, there are so many on here with thinner hair and its gorgeous. I think we all look at our hair differently to others and go through these stages, just continue to do what your doing. Ive seen your hair grow for the last 4 years on here and its doing great!

I loves ya just the way you are xxx

girlcat36
November 15th, 2011, 06:00 PM
A few months after I joined LHC, I posted a similar thread to this one. I was so defeated by my hemline. Here is the picture from my post 4 years ago:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd63/girlcat36/P1010016.jpg

And to compare:

I was so discouraged, even back then, but you all told me not to cut it and hang in there. As you can see, my hemline just wants to be thin, or clumpy or whatever the heck it is doing!
Thank you all so much for giving me the boost I needed to keep going! It's as if you all got inside my head...I keep reading 'princess' and 'fairy' in the comments; I have always said I just want fairy princess hair! Yes, even at age 45--I still want princess hair! LOL

girlcat36
November 15th, 2011, 06:01 PM
jojo! :crush:

Mommyof4
November 15th, 2011, 06:05 PM
My hair currently:

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL! I see no damage at all and I can't imagine anyone thinking that it's damaged! You have fairytale ends and awesome curls! Enjoy your hair and happy growing! :D

girlcat36
November 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Thank you, Mommyof4!

longhairedlady
November 15th, 2011, 06:10 PM
You are the epitome of beautiful princess hair! :)

girlcat36
November 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Thank you, longhairedlady, what a sweet comment!

InTheCity
November 15th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I think you're lucky that you have spiral curls, otherwise it might look scraggly. But the way it curls makes it absolutely lovely. I would keep with the teeny-tiny trims and let it grow.

And there's the key. I completely understand what you're going through and how sad it can make you to think you have thin, scraggly hair but since you do have BEAUTIFUL spiral curls, you hair looks great as it is!

If, however, you still can't love the thickness you have at your ends, it also looked great at 22", and would likely look great somewhere in between.

trillian
November 15th, 2011, 06:21 PM
You know, when I see threads titled like this, I mentally prepare myself to make a polite comment, and then an encouragement to cut / trim, what have you before I even click on the thread.

So here is your obligatory polite comment. If you really want to cut it, cut it.

Honest opinion - As others have stated, your hair is lovely. I've always wanted curls like yours, and I think it looks fantastic as is.

MsBubbles
November 15th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I guess I wonder too, if behind my back people are saying how awful and scraggly my hair is, and why don't I cut it?

I am pretty confident people do NOT think that. Honestly I remember seeing photos of hair like yours back when I used to buy books about beauty. They would typically have a model with hair just like yours gracing the chapter page for the 'hair care' section. That's what your hair reminds me of!

Please don't cut it! It's gorgeous, romantic and feminine.

Kelikea
November 15th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Your hair looks beautiful! Not scraggly. Very shiny and bouncy curls. Love it!!!

holomi
November 15th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Your hair is beautiful as is. Please don't cut! I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Fairlight63
November 15th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Your hair is so pretty! You look like a princess! Please don't cut it!
You are an inspiration to us!

embee
November 15th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Oh girlcat - you know there will always be somebody or other who thinks you should cut your hair short and have the latest style. But that's not you and you need to be true to *you*!

I would not know what to do with hair like yours, mine is so thin and utterly straight. I have about 3 hairs that reach about 4 inches longer than all the others. Sure, maybe I should cut them off, but they always make me smile, they are about mid-thigh! Everything else is just barely classic, and I'm at Terminal. Yours is *pretty*!

Keep on with the microtrims, pretty lady! Anybody gives you trouble, tell them you've had short hair and don't want to go there again.

Yozhik
November 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Girlcat, your hair is beautiful. It's elegant and classic and romantic.

I love the length of your curls :crush:, and vastly prefer them over the pic you posted of you with shorter hair.

Keller1128
November 15th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Your hair does look fuller at 22" but I think it's BEAUTIFUL now! I don't think it looks too thin! I love your curls and think you should keep trying for waist. Good luck and keep up the good work!

PixxieStix
November 15th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Before I even read the post I looked at the pictures and thought "Wow, she has some gorgeous fairy tale ends!"

I'm only repeating what many others have said, but it is also my true opinion that your hair looks lovely. It does not look uncared for to my eye, and certainly is shiny. Do what makes you happiest, but I would love to see you reach waist length with your hair. :crush: So pretty!

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I think it's gorgeous the way your hair hangs down in ringlets across your back! It doesn't look thin to me. The curls volumize it. What I hate is how my super thick hair widens at the bottom and makes this big boxy shape. It's not flattering. I'd rather it look like yours!

girlcat36
November 15th, 2011, 08:39 PM
InTheCity---thank you! i\I think I'll keep growing for a while.

Trillian--thanks; and I don't really want to cut it. I just thought maybe it looked really bad.

Ms.Bubbles---thank you; my hair is safe from the scissors!

Thanks, kelikea and holomi!

Fairlight--thank you so much! I won't cut it!

embee---you are right, short hair is not me. I asked a male friend several months ago if I should cut my hair, and he said "why would you do that? You hair makes you unique, it wouldn't make sense to cut it".

Yozhik---thank you so much; I'm glad you prefer the longer hair to the shorter!

keller1128--thank you!

PixxieStixx---thank you--I'm going to embrace my fairytales! I never thought of them as beautiful before.

wallflower---thanks so much. I would never think that someone with thick hair would prefer thinner!

Rini
November 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Girlcat, I'm going to say this straight-out and it is NOT to make you feel better. It isn't to sound nice.

I love love love the way your curls separate and fan across your back. I have always loved your hair. I remember when you posted about chemotherapy. At that time, we were all just cheering you on to get better. That was the main thing.

Now, putting all that aside and with a critical eye I can say, plain and simple: your hair is beautiful. Beautiful. It curls amazingly, it fans out like a waterfall of waves. When I see people here and there with curls like yours (it's rare) I give a little gasp because, well, what a sight. Just...how pretty.

It is up to you what you want to do with your hair. But I would cry to see you cut it. I would do it quietly because it would be your decision and who the hell am I, anyway? :) But that's it. I know this sounds gushy. But it's 100% honesty. I'm sure others will chime in. But to me, you have incredible hair...I personally would not cut.

This is what I would have written if I had been here earlier :D I also want to add that I know how you feel because I have similar hair, although I am not so lucky to have the curl as even as yours all the way down therefore mine DOES look messy/scraggly when it's down and I'm very self-conscious also (not to mention transitioning into silver hair...but that's another story!). I think with hair like yours/ours, it just grows differently to others. I don't think it's meant to hang in one even sheet with a uniform thickness, it's more like the branches of a tree. Yes, we are trees, not thick hedges :) I don't think you should cut it. If it were my hair (and, as I said, I do think I am in a similar boat as you) I would not cut. Your hair at 22 inches is also very nice, but it's so much more interesting when it's long.

My :twocents: (and believe me, I'd tell you if I thought you should cut!)

blondie9912
November 15th, 2011, 09:22 PM
It DEFINITELY does not look as though you don't care for it! Your maintained ends and lush curls, along with your shine, show just how much you care about your hair, and that it pays off! I think your hair is beautiful, almost ethereal :)

DMARTINEZ
November 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM
If it makes YOU happy then keep it! I think it looks lovely! Truly it does...but,in the
end its up to you and what you want. Dont worry what others think.

Deb

long
November 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I think your hair is beautiful.

turtlelover
November 15th, 2011, 10:03 PM
If you are unhappy, you could trim an inch at a time until you feel better about it. I wouldn't do a big chop that you might regret....better to go slowly if you aren't sure! Your hair looks very shiny and healthy, by the way.

CurlyCap
November 15th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Sweetie, embrace the magic of curls.

Curls can thin down to almost nothing, and it still looks absolutely awe-inspiring. The structure of the hair allows you to get away with things straighties absolutely never could.

As long as your hair stays in as good condition as it is now, I say keep it. It is obviously healthy, and the curls don't even give me time to think about hemline thickness!

MrsGuther
November 15th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I think your hair looks great! I'm sorry you feel so discouraged OP. :( Your hair really is gorgeous just like it is.

summergreen
November 16th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Girlcat your hair is beautiful! I would love to have hair like yours. It looks stunning at the longer length and as so many have said, very fairy/princess-like.

Teazel
November 16th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Oh girlcat, that picture is so pretty. There's no need to chop your lovely hair at all; relax a bit and enjoy it. :)

rags
November 16th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Girlcat, I've been a fan of your beautiful curls for years now. And having been right with you on the thinning/health issues, I know how frustrating it can get. But your beautiful spiral curls really and truly look gorgeous! The way they clump together and make these beautiful curls is so lovely. I like the second pic better even if your hair isn't quite as thick at the ends - it actually just looks layered. And I think the longer it gets the better it's going to look!

starshade
November 16th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I think you have really pretty hair. I have to agree with all those who said you look like a princess and I'm picturing you on a white horse, with a long, flowing cloak, thin circlet on your head and those beautiful, spirally curls blowing behind you. A true fairy princess :)
I hope my hair looks more like yours as it grows out.

lapushka
November 16th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I think you hair is lovely! I think you are being very hard on yourself!!

^^ This!

I love your hair, your curls, and your current hemline. It's lovely. True, you are being very hard on yourself!

justgreen
November 16th, 2011, 09:24 AM
We all get to feeling this way, but the feeling will pass , just hold strong. Your hair is lovely and really suits your face and your petite frame. The longer it gets, the more like fairy tale hair you will have. And you look so good in an up-do with curly tendrils coming loose. No scissors for you young lady.....unless it's just a minor dusting! (((((((hugs))))))

girlcat36
November 16th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Rini---thank you! You have been such an inspiration for me growing out your silvers. I'm not ready for that yet(the contrats is too much), but I admire you for doing so! You look gorgeous with your silvers!

blondie9912, DMARTNEZ, and long---thank you!!

turtlelover---I will keep microtrimming

CurlyCap--thank you; love your avatar!

MrsGuther--thanks, I am feeling a lot better about it!

summergreen--thank you, everybody's post have me liking the longer hair better now!

Thank you, Teazel!

oh rags, we struggle, don't we? I've always thought you had it easier with your straight silky hair. I'm so glad you are growing again!

starshade---Aw, that was a beautiful comment!

Thanks, lapushka!

Thank you so much, Justy, I will just microtrim from now on!

InTheCity
November 16th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I had to search a few pages to get to this thread but I can't stop thinking about taper. I'm a little obsessed because I am on a deeply bummed kick about my own hair, related to thin ends as well.

I noticed that regardless of my length (it's not long at all right now!) I get horrendously tapered, scraggly ends eventually and I wonder if it's because I have not cut for 5 months. Maybe there's a reason for that.
Do some hairs grow slower than others, so that only some hairs are at max length?
Do some of us just have a really short growth cycle/short terminal length?
Are there other reasonable explanations?

My point is that maybe if you can identify the exact reason(s) why your hair is smaller at the bottom, you (me, we, everyone) can re-adjust expectations, growth goals or hair cut styles.

But again, your hair looks great and I see you've decided not to cut :cheese:

girlcat36
November 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM
InTheCity---I think all of your theories are possible. I know for certain the very back of my head right at the crown grow much faster than the rest of my hair. I am always trimmimng those 'racers'. And yes, it really does seem that some of do have a shorter terminal cycle.
I think hair type factors in a well; baby fine hair seems to cling together into clumps at the hemline---no matter the length! Of course shed rate is a major factor for me, due to poor health. My hair sheds more on the sides, leaving bare patches at my hemline.
Your idea of readjusting our goals once we identify the problems is a good one. In fact that is what prompted this thread. I took a good look at my hair history, my health history, my hair type and realized I would never reach my goal. I posted this thread and thanks to everybody posting I got a little attitude adjustment, and I am going to be happy with a slightly different goal.
I checked out your pics and I thought you hair was starting to fairytale nicely at BSL!

Lissandria
November 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Even before you posted this thread I noticed your signature pic and thought, wow, pretty hair :)We are just about hair twins. If my ringlets look that good long I would be a happy woman. Your hair has definitely come a long way since 07. And I really like your new, longer length, it suits you better long.

girlcat36
November 16th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Thank you, Lissandria! Your hair is going to look great long! It looks like your hair is almost as baby fine as mine, judging by the way it clumps.

Lissandria
November 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks :) it's nice to hear that you think It will look good long, because I do have my doubts sometimes. My pony is only 2.5" (so very similar to yours) especially due to shedding in recent years. I am hoping to gain some more thickness as I don't shed much these days. It looks so babyfine (cos it is!) and as Im sure you know, the clumps don't help. I imagine your hair is much the same, there is more to it than it looks sometimes. :D

I have had my hair BSL before and although I had some fairytailing it was quite healthy for awhile and looked pretty good I thought both straight and curly.
It is possible to have long, thin curls that look good, shiny and healthy. It will probably always have an ethereal look but I like that. It may never look like masses of hair, but Im not sure that really matters.
My goal is hip (maybe tailbone) with a V hemline and some slight fairytailing, however it is possible I won't like it much past waist. Ill see when I get there. But I think your hair is inspiring and you should keep growing it if it makes you happy. :blossom:

girlcat36
November 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
You are right, it will always look ethereal, and we have to be happy with that! Keep growing!

LaLaBella
November 16th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I'm glad that you decided to continue growing your hair out.
Your hair is shiny, healthy and well-maintained through to the ends. There's a differnce between thin ends because the hair isn't taken care of and your hair.
Anyway, I hope that you feel better about your hair soon.

supbanana
November 16th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I'm glad you decided not to change it! I think your hair is gorgeous and I adore your curls.

andreamuse
November 16th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I think your hair looks beautiful. I have a similar hair type except not curly, just slightly wavy. I'm growing out from a pixie and am so scared my hair won't grow beautifully. Yours is an inspiration. It looks very well cared for.

BunnyBee
November 16th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Oh your curls are so beautiful and romantic, like some kind of elven princess! <3

InTheCity
November 19th, 2011, 06:49 AM
InTheCity....
Your idea of readjusting our goals once we identify the problems is a good one. In fact that is what prompted this thread. I took a good look at my hair history, my health history, my hair type and realized I would never reach my goal. I posted this thread and thanks to everybody posting I got a little attitude adjustment, and I am going to be happy with a slightly different goal.
I checked out your pics and I thought you hair was starting to fairytale nicely at BSL!

Thanks Girlcat, I think it's a "grass is always greener" thing where some people with not enough taper get the dreaded triangle head, and some of us with too much taper hate the fairy tale ends...

I'm really glad this thread helped you out. Sometimes we need another person's opinion to kick us in the tush a little, when we are too hard on our own appearances.

Happy Growing! :D

DreadfulWoman
November 19th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I just wanted to add to the chorus of voices telling you what lovely lovely hair you have. Even if it fairytaled down to one or two little curls it would still be beautiful, so you should grow it as long as you like. :flower:

girlcat36
November 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM
LaLaBella, supbanana, andreamuse, BunnyBee----thank you so much for your responses!

InTheCity--thanks again! We'll keep on truckin!

DreadfulWoman(not anymore!)--thank you, :)

EdG
November 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM
You have thudworthy hair, Girlcat. :thudpile:
Ed

Quixii
November 21st, 2011, 07:02 PM
I was actually just thinking when I saw you post in another thread, "Wow, look at her new signature picture! It looks like she's made a lot of progress. I hope that means her health is improving. :)"

girlcat36
November 21st, 2011, 07:14 PM
That was sweet, Ed.

Quixxi---you are one of my hair idols! Someday......

honeydippedxo
November 22nd, 2011, 12:24 AM
Call me crazy but you're hair is so pretty to me. I love it no B.S.

janeytilllie
November 22nd, 2011, 01:02 AM
Your hair is very beautiful! :)
I love your curls, shine and how it looks like fairytale princess hair.
You have made fantastic progress :)

alyanna
November 22nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
Girlcat,
I'm glad to hear you've decided not to cut because I was going to reply to tell you:
Your hair looks really nice!

This is coming from a kind of hair-twin who doesn't want to have horribly thin, weak-looking long hair.

It's doesn't look like it's scraggly at all. It's obvious you don't have iii hair, but I'm almost positive people are not thinking your hair shouldn't be long. In fact, let me also add that your hair looks better at this length than in the shorter picture. You hair just lays nicer when it's longer.

Keep up the growing...