View Full Version : Hair is heavy and not drying properly. Suggestions?

Strange.Bird
November 15th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Two weeks ago, I started using Aubrey Organics shampoo and conditioner (their Honeysuckle & Rose blend). It's not my first attempt at using all-natural products, by any means, but I haven't had much luck in the past and I really wanted it to work out this time. So, I'm disappointed to say that for the past two days (since my last washing) my hair is . . . weird.

I would describe it as unusually heavy; my curls (I'm 2C/3A) aren't as tight as they usually are, but are more defined and separated and aren't clumping together. My hair has less volume and body. I would say it feels a little more oily than it would typically. It's also gone from taking an inordinately long time to dry to taking an ungodly long time to dry, even when left down. My hair is typically oily at the roots a day or two after washing, but dry and coarse down the length; now it feels evenly moist/oily/silky all over.

I'm wondering if it might be the conditioner (used too much? just not the right mix for my hair?), but I'm leery of trying this particular shampoo without any conditioner, since it seems to tangle my hair easily. Would you recommend a shampoo and ACV rinse? Something else? I can do a baking soda wash to rid myself of some of the excess oils, but that doesn't work well for my hair long-term. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Amber_Maiden
November 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Definitely try it with shampoo and ACV rinse. I've had this problem before when I was CO washing. Also it might just be your hair doesn't like the CO, happens all the time with mine- my husband ends up with the rejects! lol

MJheals
November 15th, 2011, 01:28 PM
It definitely sounds like the conditioner is a bit too heavy for your hair. I would suggest diluting it a good bit (maybe start with half and half, and dilute more if needed) in a bottle you can shake well. Shake thoroughly until it's all foamy and bubbly, and massage through your hair. That's how I COwash with extra moisturizing/heavy conditioners, it works very well.
HTH :)