PDA

View Full Version : Which washing method would be less damaging?

CariadA
November 14th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I currently CO wash my hair. My hair seems to like it, but no matter how much I try, I really can't stretch washes with CO more than two or three days. It looks greasy by the next day. I have been CO washing for 10 months now and still have trouble stretching washes.

In the past I have experimented with CWC and my hair seemed to like that as well. It did seem slightly drier, though. When I CWC'd, I was able to stretch washes much longer than I can with CO. I have also been missing cones so I wouldn't mind giving CWC (and maybe more frequent cones) a try again.

Is it less damaging to CO more frequently and avoid the harshness of shampoo or to CWC less frequently and be able to stretch washes?

Thanks!

allnight avenue
November 14th, 2011, 11:27 PM
To me, stretching washes sounds better than washing your hair every 3 days, even if it's CO, just for practical reasons! If you're worried about the harshness of shampoo, try using diluted shampoo instead. Add moisture in there if your hair seems dry (oils, butters, etc.)

julliams
November 14th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I wash my hair every 3 days and I thought I was stretching washes. I personally enjoy washing my hair so I like this time frame.

If you want to stretch, keep your hands out of your hair as playing with it and massaging your scalp increases the oil and maybe stretch a little at a time. When you think you absolutely need to wash, leave it until that evening, or leave it until the next morning to actually wash.

CariadA
November 14th, 2011, 11:45 PM
To me, stretching washes sounds better than washing your hair every 3 days, even if it's CO, just for practical reasons! If you're worried about the harshness of shampoo, try using diluted shampoo instead. Add moisture in there if your hair seems dry (oils, butters, etc.)

Thanks! If I do try CWC, I'll definitely try diluted shampoo. I dilute it now whenever I clarify and it helps a lot.

I wash my hair every 3 days and I thought I was stretching washes. I personally enjoy washing my hair so I like this time frame.

If you want to stretch, keep your hands out of your hair as playing with it and massaging your scalp increases the oil and maybe stretch a little at a time. When you think you absolutely need to wash, leave it until that evening, or leave it until the next morning to actually wash.

I also think washing every three days is stretching, I could just go even longer with CWC. I love the process of washing my hair. I just don't like waiting for it to dry. My hair's thin so it doesn't even take that long to dry; I'm just an impatient person. I try not to play with my hair too much. Having it up most of the time really helps with that! Thanks for the advice! :)

julliams
November 15th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I just realised I didn't answer your actual question - sorry about that. I honestly don't know. I'm pretty sure it's not great to have it wet often but I think your time frame is absolutely fine.

pepperminttea
November 15th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Why not use both? :) You could CO for two washes, then CWC for a wash, and so on, or whatever sequence works best for you.

Amber_Maiden
November 15th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I'd vote stretching washes as better. Sebum.

Cardinal
November 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I wash once a week due to time constraints. I do use diluted shampoo, and just pour it thru my hair. Then I condition, and finally use ACV rinse.
During the week, I keep my hair up in a bun, and the sebum helps keep those stray strands in place.

Quahatundightu
November 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Do you wear your hair up? The less it is manipulated the less greasy it should be. Anyway I don't think there's anything wrong with washing every 3 - 4 days (or less!) especially if you are gentle, getting your hair wet can be good for it since you are moisturising it. I often do a schedule of alternating CWC and CO since I can't go for long on CO. That could be an option!

mallorykay13
November 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I asked a question similar to this. Spidermom suggested that I go back to a CWC because the opening and closing of the cuticle can do damage from simply getting it wet. Just something to consider.

CariadA
November 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I think I am going to try CWC for a little bit. If that works, I may start trying more cones again too. The information about the cuticle opening and closing really makes me think it may be better for me.

If CWC doesn't work alone, I may try the idea of alternating it with CO.