PDA

View Full Version : Is switching your part important?

tanpopokitty
November 14th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I've heard before that it's good for your hair to switch your part every once in a while.. However, my hair flips strangely and looks weird with a lot of different parts. Is it okay to keep the same part forever? Is it true that this will thin my hair out in that area?

Also, do you change your part? If so, how often? And please share any tips if you have them.

Amber_Maiden
November 14th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I actually let my hair part where ever it wants to. Usually in the middle or slightly off middle. It's never straight.

I don't know if it's important or not. I just like letting my hair do what it likes to. It's happier that way.

UltraBella
November 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM
My hair parts naturally in a particular spot, so I have worn it like that for 20 years. No part problems yet !

amantha
November 14th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I've been parting my hair in more or less the same spot since I was 15. I don't think it's thinner there than if I parted my hair anywhere else. However, I have noticed that my hair tends to want to part naturally there now.

spidermom
November 14th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I move mine all around or pull my hair straight back.

I've seen parts get wider over time, but I don't know why.

Madora
November 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Yes, it is better to change your part from time to time. Center parts are the most likely to widen over time because the hair is constantly being parted in the middle and that puts more stress on those hairs. I've seen pictures of widened center parts and they were horrible.

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Parting my hair is hard. It prefers to stay partless or on the left, but I look best with a right part.

Modarunner
November 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I don't usually part my hair a specific way, but it does naturally part in the middle. If I do part it it's to the right side, that's my natural side part, otherwise if I part it to the left it just falls in my face. As of right now I don't have any issues with my part widening.

katsrevenge
November 14th, 2011, 07:45 PM
It has never been a problem for me but my hair doesn't really have a natural part to it.

One of my sisters has a wide part mark though. It is centered and she tends to bush sides too.

Fairytale
November 14th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Yes I believe its true , I have parted in the middle for only 4 years and Im seeing a widened area where the part is only. :(

Im diffenetly changing to a diff. parting and alternating frequently from now on.:eyebrows:

SilentGuardian
November 14th, 2011, 08:21 PM
My part is more on the side. It won't allow me to change it, so I don't bother anymore

Yozhik
November 14th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I change up my part, if only by a few millimeters, almost every time I wash my hair.

I think it's a good habit to get into, because I have seen parts widen over time, unfortunately. My mother has a middle part which she has worn I think all of her life. You can definitely tell that within the last 10 years or so that it has widened. I tried to suggest she switch it up, but she says her hair only parts that way . . .

Winged
November 14th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I have never heard of this. I have an approximate place where I part my hair, but I kind of just let my hair decide and it usually parts where I want it to.

I think I'll start switching it up though. It sounds like a good idea.

tanpopokitty
November 14th, 2011, 08:35 PM
It's so hard to switch your part around when you have bangs...bleh. A lot looks odd, I think.

Lici1209
November 14th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Same here!

julliams
November 14th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I actually let my hair part where ever it wants to. Usually in the middle or slightly off middle. It's never straight.

I don't know if it's important or not. I just like letting my hair do what it likes to. It's happier that way.

This is me. I do not have a straight defined part. My daughter does however and hers behaves as the OP suggests. I think she just leaves it as it is.

sun-kissed
November 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I had a center part until I was about twelve, then I began parting my hair on the left side. I kept it like that for three years, and now I back to a center part because I was always having to tuck my long bangs, and that side would get oily from being on my forehead. I'm good with it where it is for now, but once the cold weather sets in I might try a right-hand part just for the fun of it.

PixxieStix
November 14th, 2011, 09:39 PM
My hair naturally parts in the middle area, and the part is wide due to the fact that my hair hasn't fully finished growing back in yet (and may never will, but only time will tell), and it changes a little bit every day as to exactly where it decides to do so. Switching it up is good I think. Even if only by a little.

sheignerin
November 14th, 2011, 11:02 PM
My hair parts a bit to the left. I've had it like that for a minimum of 7 years now. I wanted to change the part a while ago, but I've found that I have a cowlick right at my part and it makes my hair all floppy and strange! So I quickly went back to parting on the left.

HumanBean
November 14th, 2011, 11:12 PM
It's true for me. I have had center and side parts depending on the style, but have had a center part a couple years now. It looks fine from the front, but there is definitely an issue at the back of the part. So I just changed it a week ago to be just slightly off center.

Mountaingrrl
November 15th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Sometimes I let my hair part naturally and sometimes I change it up. It can make a dramatic difference in my look. I find this is easiest to do with damp hair.

DancingQueen
November 15th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I try to change my part every once in a while. I don't have a specific amount of time before I do it, but I tend to change it when I think it start to widen a bit, or the hair lie a little too flat to my head. :)

Mayflower
November 15th, 2011, 02:47 AM
I have really 'specific' bangs as in, they go from really short to longer above my eyebrows, so I cannot change the part. If I'm having widening-problems, I'll propably grow them out.

Rosetta
November 15th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Well, my hair naturally (and stubbornly) parts in the middle, and I haven't noticed any thinning there, so imo this isn't true :wink:

Maybe it might happen to some who part their hair quite far to one side, if that's not the way their hair would naturally go...?

Lize
November 15th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I always wear mine on the same side because I have a cowlick that would protest to anything else. I don't really look good with a middle part either. But I think I change the exact spot of my part quite often. Sometimes I wear it more to the side, sometimes less. I didn't see any problems from having it on the same side.

ericthegreat
November 15th, 2011, 03:18 AM
I have indeed begun to notice more and more older women who have widening parts, and its clear that they are thinning/losing hair right where they always part their hair. I agree with Madora on this one, its good to change where you part your hair from time to time.

jacqueline101
November 15th, 2011, 03:54 AM
My hair is used to my part and wouldn't feel right parted another way.

pepperminttea
November 15th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks to this thread, I've just moved my part; it now starts above the beginning of my right eyebrow. I really like it. :D

papera
November 15th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I usually part my hair on the right side and have done that for years, with the odd time parting it in the middle or left side ... but so far I haven't noticed any thinning or widening ... my hair just seems happy with my part :D
But maybe it also depends on the hair and head, maybe for some widening can be an issue, and for some never will ...

Cainwen
November 15th, 2011, 09:48 AM
My hair has a natural stubborn part that will. not. be. changed. I used to try when I was younger, it would always return, even pull hair styles out to return. I've given up trying to change it. Now I just know even if I pull my hair straight back, it will be slightly parted in an hour or so.

QMacrocarpa
November 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I move mine around, in the range from a bit to the left to a bit to the right. I find it helps get a new part "settled" if I move the part just before or after I wash my hair and then let my hair dry in a stretchy hairband with the part where I want it. It used to be a bit of a pain to move my part, because my hair would be extra poofy around the old part location for a few days afterwards, but now it's hardly any bother at all, so I switch it around every couple weeks or so.

Rybe
November 15th, 2011, 12:15 PM
It is important! I had a center part for a very, very long time, and have trouble moving it around because of a stupid hair fwip I have in the front, but I discovered that if I didn't change it up regularly, I can't brush my hair straight back, because the flipping part is still there no matter what I do...

delsh
November 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I don't think keeping the same part will eventually cause hair loss along the part line. Why would it? I don't understand the logic. If your hair parts there naturally, obviously that's the way the hair wants to bend - I'd think you'd do more damage constantly training your hair to part in a way it doesn't want to.

My bet is that you see widening parts in older women because...when you get older your hair can often thin! :twocents:

UP Lisa
November 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM
A part that is wider than it used to be is one of the signs of thinning hair.

jeanniet
November 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM
My hair has a natural stubborn part that will. not. be. changed. I used to try when I was younger, it would always return, even pull hair styles out to return. I've given up trying to change it. Now I just know even if I pull my hair straight back, it will be slightly parted in an hour or so.
Yep, same thing here. It won't change for anything. It's been that way for over 50 years and hasn't widened yet, so I think I'm safe at this point.

McFearless
November 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM
If you wear your hair down, no, but with updos I believe its important to switch up your part. Any pressure overtime will cause stress on the follicles and lead to traction alopecia. The hairs furthest away from where the hair is being secured will be put under the most stress.

spike316
November 15th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I think it's good to change your part occasionally if for no other reason than to avoid it getting used to one part.