PDA

View Full Version : Greasy!

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Okay, I've been cowashing and my roots are greasy no matter how much I wash.

I don't want to shampoo it because it's really flat and controlled when I cowash, and shampoo makes it a big dry fluff ball.

I do not have vinegar or lemon or whatever rinses everyone seems to like. I think they would make my hair into a big puff ball- I hear they add volume and make the hair lighter, and I don't need more volume and dried out hair!

I do have baking soda but I don't trust that either...

Lici1209
November 14th, 2011, 06:08 PM
How long have you been cowashing? There is usually a transition period. Even for me, when I switched from sulfate shampoo to non-sulfate my hair was greasy about two months before I fully transitioned.

GlennaGirl
November 14th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Two things to try:

1. Add water to the conditioner to dilute it before adding to the hair.
2. Leave the conditioner (or conditioner/water) on for a longer period of time; say, 20-25 minutes.

Kelikea
November 14th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Have you tried oil-shampoo? I just tried it last night for the first time and liked it. I usually HATE shampoo because it irritates my scalp so much, but the oil totally changed it for me. It is recommended that you follow it with a vinegar rinse if you have a basic shampoo or hard water, but if your shampoo is more acidic and you don't have hard water, then you might not need the acidic rinse. I have used ACV rinse many times, and it does not result in flyaway hair. It can actually lead to lank, flat, almost greasy looking hair if used incorrectly.

Good luck!

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 06:12 PM
How long have you been cowashing? There is usually a transition period. Even for me, when I switched from sulfate shampoo to non-sulfate my hair was greasy about two months before I fully transitioned.

Pretty much a month.

Mairéad
November 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM
How long have you been using CO? Many people take a while to transition. Also, depending on where you live and what your hair is like some people actually experience increased greasiness as it gets colder. It's counterintuitive but it does happen to some people.

ACV rinses should actually do the exact opposite of a big puff ball. It should actually help fight frizz. It may give it a more "weightless" feel but not so much that you're going to get an afro or anything. I'd rather that than have hair pasted to my head. It will help keep it moisturized.

I have no idea what your hair looks like but I've noticed an ongoing theme about how you feel the volume of your hair. So, I wonder, do you have anything like layers and face framing to break up all that hair?

I know you've had the relaxers and are on a budget and that you'd like "flatter" hair but I think it can be worked with.

And one more question. Did you clarify before starting CO? Also, can you describe kind of what you do when you wash it? How long do you massage the scalp and how long do you let it sit on your head. Do you do it while your hair is wet or dry? And, are you using -cones?

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Have you tried oil-shampoo? I just tried it last night for the first time and liked it. I usually HATE shampoo because it irritates my scalp so much, but the oil totally changed it for me. It is recommended that you follow it with a vinegar rinse if you have a basic shampoo or hard water, but if your shampoo is more acidic and you don't have hard water, then you might not need the acidic rinse. I have used ACV rinse many times, and it does not result in flyaway hair. It can actually lead to lank, flat, almost greasy looking hair if used incorrectly.

Good luck!

I don't have oil that actually moisturizes [I only have canola oil, and it just coats the hair].

Kelikea
November 14th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I don't have oil that actually moisturizes [I only have canola oil, and it just coats the hair].

You really need coconut oil to make the oil-shampoo. I ordered mine from swanson health.

Mairéad
November 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM
You really need coconut oil to make the oil-shampoo. I ordered mine from swanson health.

Many Wal-Marts also have coconut oil with the other cooking oils.

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 06:22 PM
How long have you been using CO? Many people take a while to transition. Also, depending on where you live and what your hair is like some people actually experience increased greasiness as it gets colder. It's counterintuitive but it does happen to some people.

ACV rinses should actually do the exact opposite of a big puff ball. If should actually help fight frizz. It may make your hair more bouncy and could help with that greasiness. Now, baking soda, THAT could make your hair a big poof if not used properly.

I have no idea what your hair looks like but I've noticed an ongoing theme about how you feel the volume of your hair. So, I wonder, do you have anything like layers and face framing to break up all that hair?

I know you've had the relaxers and are on a budget and that you'd like "flatter" hair but I think it can be worked with.

And one more question. Did you clarify before starting CO? And, are you using -cones?

I'm trying to grow out the many layers I have. Layers make my hair even worse, it poofs up and actually looks THICKER :(. I am also trying to grow out my ugly side bangs that drown out my face and poof up. Layers do not work with my hair or my face shape.

I've tried for years to make my hair thin. Thinning sheers, layers of all sorts, flat irons, etc... Nothing works.

I got a relaxer because my hair was curly/wavy and I didn't know how to deal with it. All my life before puberty my hair was 1c. Suddenly it was pretty much 2c/3a [and my hair grew in red, to make the matters worse].

Yes, I did clarify. I have been cone free for months.

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Walmart, target, walgreens and cvs do not have coconut oil in my area. They do have olive oil, though.

Mairéad
November 14th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I'm trying to grow out the many layers I have. Layers make my hair even worse, it poofs up and actually looks THICKER :(. I am also trying to grow out my ugly side bangs that drown out my face and poof up. Layers do not work with my hair or my face shape.

I've tried for years to make my hair thin. Thinning sheers, layers of all sorts, flat irons, etc... Nothing works.

I got a relaxer because my hair was curly/wavy and I didn't know how to deal with it. All my life before puberty my hair was 1c. Suddenly it was pretty much 2c/3a [and my hair grew in red, to make the matters worse].

Yes, I did clarify. I have been cone free for months.

I see. Just curious. I asked because many people with curly hair are "best friends" with layers. I can understand the fringe though. Nothing above chin length frames look flattering with my face shape.

Though, I'm sad to hear you dislike your red hair. I'm a redhead myself. I'd say embrace your hair type but it sounds like what you're looking for is little weight to it. So, call me crazy. But, do you know what your is like ON cones?

Mairéad
November 14th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Walmart, target, walgreens and cvs do not have coconut oil in my area. They do have olive oil, though.

Olive oil is another good oil. I don't know if for oil shampoo. But, for oiling in general in seems to fall in the same circle as coconut oil. Many people simply have a preference to which one.

Kelikea
November 14th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Maybe you could post some pics so we could see your hair and what you are dealing with? How long is it now? what is your pony circumference? If you are upset with how it looks as the layers grow out, maybe do some more updos. What else have you tried besides Co-wash?

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I see. Just curious. I asked because many people with curly hair are "best friends" with layers. I can understand the fringe though. Nothing above chin length frames look flattering with my face shape.

Though, I'm sad to hear you dislike your red hair. I'm a redhead myself. I'd say embrace your hair type but it sounds like what you're looking for is little weight to it. So, call me crazy. But, do you know what your is like ON cones?

My hair is a mutant anyway. So must be my face shape- all the stylists in the world claim round faces look good with side bangs, but mine looks horrid with them. And a whole lot of hair articles say round faces have chubby cheeks/undefined cheeks, but I have sharp, bony cheeks. Mutation, anyone?

Silicone has little affect on my hair. I used to buy a lot of coney products and coat my hair in them before I knew what the heck it was. And what did cones do to my hair? Nothing but make my hair sticky and funny at the ends.

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Maybe you could post some pics so we could see your hair and what you are dealing with? How long is it now? what is your pony circumference? If you are upset with how it looks as the layers grow out, maybe do some more updos. What else have you tried besides Co-wash?

I suppose I can get pictures up this week. My hair is almost APL in the back, but half an inch longer than shoulder length in the front due to my ugly layers.

I don't know my ponytail circumference.

I never do updos. I think I've mentioned it on here before that I'm self conscious of my face shape and I feel odd with my hair up.

I've tried the water only method, the basic shampoo-and-condition thing, the no-wash method as far as washing goes. I can't even begin to tell you how many products I've tried..

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Olive oil is another good oil. I don't know if for oil shampoo. But, for oiling in general in seems to fall in the same circle as coconut oil. Many people simply have a preference to which one.

I think I could buy some olive oil tomorrow. I hope it's worth it.

Mairéad
November 14th, 2011, 06:58 PM
My hair is a mutant anyway. So must be my face shape- all the stylists in the world claim round faces look good with side bangs, but mine looks horrid with them. And a whole lot of hair articles say round faces have chubby cheeks/undefined cheeks, but I have sharp, bony cheeks. Mutation, anyone?

Silicone has little affect on my hair. I used to buy a lot of coney products and coat my hair in them before I knew what the heck it was. And what did cones do to my hair? Nothing but make my hair sticky and funny at the ends.

Haha, do we have the same face? Mine is also on the round side with sharp cheek bones, but I also have really round cheeks. I also look bad in side bangs. With any hair in face, really. Though, I've really grown to love my face shape.

Well, sounds like cones aren't working either. I wish I could suggest more. Maybe modify your CO? You seem to enjoy certain aspects of CO.

What conditioners are you currently using for CO? And can you kind of describe your washing routine to me. Like, how long do you let the conditioner sit on your head? How long do you massage the product into your scalp? Ect.

I ask because sometimes people who CO need a heavy conditioner instead of the recommended light one, myself included. Also, some can use -cones while they CO.

spidermom
November 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM
You could apply the conditioner for CO, then add diluted shampoo when you do the wash-out.

CO works once, more times make my hair limp and dull. I only do it very occasionally.

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Haha, do we have the same face? Mine is also on the round side with sharp cheek bones, but I also have really round cheeks. I also look bad in side bangs. With any hair in face, really. Though, I've really grown to love my face shape.

Well, sounds like cones aren't working either. I wish I could suggest more. Maybe modify your CO? You seem to enjoy certain aspects of CO.

What conditioners are you currently using for CO? And can you kind of describe your washing routine to me. Like, how long do you let the conditioner sit on your head? How long do you massage the product into your scalp? Ect.

I ask because sometimes people who CO need a heavy conditioner instead of the recommended light one, myself included. Also, some can use -cones while they CO.

:D Maybe we're secretly twins?

I use Suave Naturals because it is pretty much the only thing I can afford. I could use up 'salon brand' stuff in 2 weeks, even though they're five dollars more.

I take a handful on condish and massage it into my hair. I leave the conditioner in for five minutes and just work it through my hair, then rinse for 2 minutes, finish off with icy cold water to 'seal the cuticle'. That's it.

Is there a such thing as a cone-free heavy conditioner? If so, I'll get it.

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 07:07 PM
You could apply the conditioner for CO, then add diluted shampoo when you do the wash-out.

CO works once, more times make my hair limp and dull. I only do it very occasionally.

What is diluted shampoo?

sycamoreboutiqu
November 14th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I think I can relate to your issues. I have definitely found relief with the following things I have found here on the LHC and I like my hair a lot more than I used to.

CO washing - I think the trick is to be sure your conditioner has no cones and to leave it on for a long time - I saturate my hair (diluting the conditioner makes this easier) starting at the scalp and massage it in. I coat it all the way down the put on a big shower cap and leave it on for a min of one hour but 2 is better. I think really massage it through and rinse with warm water. I follow this up with a better quality conditioner on the ends - leave on for a few minutes and do my detangling during this time. Rinse with warm then cool water.

Oil Shampoo - Definitely do a clairfying wash first ( I just did basic shampoo with some baking soda added) then a blend of a non-sls shampoo (if possible) and coconut oil (my fav is Monoi de Tahiti - gardenia infused coconut oil) wash with this and use some good conditioner to finish. This smoothed and calmed my hair better than almost anything else did.
NOTE: While still wet it felt like total crap - stiff and kind of crunchy - but when it dried fully it was fabulous.

Jessica's Detangler (will look for the link on here) - It is a blend of Aloe Gel, Water and an oil. My preference is Jojoba oil but you can use any type. This has been a lifesaver. You can apply it to detangle wet or dry hair. I use it sparingly as you can overdo it and get stringy, but in small quantities it does wonders for thick, wavy, frizzy, poufy hair.

Hope that helps.

Mairéad
November 14th, 2011, 07:14 PM
:D Maybe we're secretly twins?

I use Suave Naturals because it is pretty much the only thing I can afford. I could use up 'salon brand' stuff in 2 weeks, even though they're five dollars more.

I take a handful on condish and massage it into my hair. I leave the conditioner in for five minutes and just work it through my hair, then rinse for 2 minutes, finish off with icy cold water to 'seal the cuticle'. That's it.

Is there a such thing as a cone-free heavy conditioner? If so, I'll get it.

Oh, yes. There are some HEAVY cone free conditioners. I use Garnier Triple Nutrition. The stuff is heavy and is 3-4 bucks for 25oz. So, it costs a few dollars more than Suave Naturals, but who knows, it could make the difference. There is also Tresseme Naturals Aloe and Avocado that is heavy, a big bottle, and about 4 bucks. I approve of both.

As far as technique you really, really need the massage the scalp with the conditioner for at least a minute. I like to do it for two. Let it sit for the rest of your shower. Then, tilt it into the water for a split second and bring it out. It should feel foamy now. Massage your scalp again and "scritch" a little to loosen up the dirt and sebum. Then rinse. And of course, put a little more conditioner on your ends just like you would if you had shampooed and rinse again.