PDA

View Full Version : How much would I regret getting face framing layers??

jenjen10
November 14th, 2011, 05:07 PM
My hair is a little past BSL now and I am starting to come to terms with the layers that were put throughout it a few months ago... However, I have to wear my hair up all of the time for work and school (nursing student).

I feel like it looks too severe pulled back with just my bangs... I think I really want face framing layers. I don't like my layers in back because they stick out of updos but I would specifically getting the front layers to stay out during the updos so it can't be as bad, right???

Any advice? I am so frustrated with the way my hair looks up these days that I am tempted to cut it shorter so this seems like a possible way to avoid a chop.

Creatureling
November 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I am in pretty much the same situation you describe, with BSL hair, not liking my layers in back, and needing some hair to stay out when I wear updos. Face framing layers seem like the perfect solution, but I'm not sure whether they will look good with the rest of the hair hanging down.

I have a square face and a severe widow's peak, so pulling my hair back is not an option. What kind of face shape and hairline do you have?

jenjen10
November 14th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I have a square face and a severe widow's peak, so pulling my hair back is not an option. What kind of face shape and hairline do you have?

I have a long narrowish face and a small-ish forehead... so I guess that makes my face oval-shaped??

CurlyCap
November 14th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I love face framing layers. I think it makes my hair look more like an intentional accessory rather than this thing hanging off my head.

However, what I would consider (especially if you haven't had face framing layers before) is how much it would eat into your volume. The frames have to come from somewhere, and it can really change the way your length looks. I have big, poofy hair, and I still sorta missed the volume from cutting what seems like a few strands on both sides of my head.

Just food for thought.

owlathena
November 14th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I love my bangs and face framing layers for the reason that they can make some styles look less severe.

UltraBella
November 14th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I love my face framing layers, and the rest of my layers too. I much prefer some hair hanging loose and softening my updos.

jojo
November 14th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I have a side fringe and I suppose you could call them natural framing layers. I like how they look as they soften my updo's!

Good luck with your nursing, i am a RN and its the best thing I ever did!

turtlelover
November 14th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I definitely prefer to have face framing layers, and can't imagine pulling off long hair without them!

Amber_Maiden
November 14th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I like my layers as well. It takes a bit of getting used to, but i find it doesn't make my hair look as heavy.

Kristin
November 14th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I say go for it. Layers are great and if you have thick enough hair and your stylist knows how to cut long hair, it shouldn't effect your thickness that much.

coffinhert
November 14th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I have face-framing layers and I like them. I like to put a side part in my hair and let the front be a little free while the rest is in a bun. I think that feathered strands of hair hanging to approximately chin length look very flattering on many face types.

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Short layers are not worth it unless you have flat or straight hair [poofy, thick, or textured hair will become a disaster with short layers, even if you straighten it to death], and you actually look good with them [not everyone does].

spidermom
November 14th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I really loved mine, except when I was working and sweating and had short bits of hair stuck to my face. So I grew them out. I'm annoyed enough by the shorter, newer hairs that are always sproinging out of my scalp.

Madora
November 14th, 2011, 06:28 PM
If you're going into nursing, there might be rules about how much hair you can have hanging free, and therefore face framing layers might be more trouble than they're worth.

Lici1209
November 14th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I love layers around my face, I don't like having it all up either :]

MJheals
November 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM
If you're going into nursing, there might be rules about how much hair you can have hanging free, and therefore face framing layers might be more trouble than they're worth.

^ Very good advice here. Nursing can be sweaty, messy work as well (I know from experience). And hair hanging in your face can get pretty bothersome. I really like the way face framing layers soften updos, and I myself have and maintain them. The trick for me is to cut them long enough to tuck securely behind my ears. That way it's easy to get them out of the way if it's necessary.
You'd be surprised how even a little bit of styling (ie, face framing layers) can change the way your hair looks and moves. :)

jesis
November 14th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I love my face framing layers, and the rest of my layers too. I much prefer some hair hanging loose and softening my updos.

How do you use your layers to your advantage in updos? I'm interested!

Not to hijack the thread, sorry OP!

julliams
November 14th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I am personally in the same boat as you and I have not yet committed to having it done. I have a suggestion for if you decide not to get them but need a more softened look for updo's. I take a small section (about what you would have if you cut bangs) and french braid it to the side, then sweep it up into my updo. For some reason it breaks up the severity of having it all pulled back and I find it my go-to style now. I use it with all my buns, side braids, even half ups.

You can kind of see what I'm talking about in this picture:
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6225/6248962369_1a3119a26b.jpg

LisaB234
November 14th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Julliams- I love your idea - I think especially for a nurse hair down might be an issue. . .

Anyone else want to share pictures of updos with face framing layers down?

UltraBella
November 14th, 2011, 08:12 PM
How do you use your layers to your advantage in updos? I'm interested!

Not to hijack the thread, sorry OP!

In my hair album, on page one at the bottom, there is a full face shot of my hair in a bun with some of my face framing pieces hanging loose.

starshade
November 14th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I think long bangs would do the trick to soften your look when hair is up, but too many layers can be really annoying when putting hair up in most styles.

BlazingHeart
November 14th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I am pondering the same decision!

luxepiggy
November 14th, 2011, 11:17 PM
It really depends on your hair type & thickness. I don't have the volume/thickness for true face framing layers, but I did cut myself what I call "face framing wisps" a couple of months back, and I really like them!

I definitely suggest keeping the shortest layer long enough to tuck securely behind your ears, so you can keep them out of the way when needed (^(oo)^)v

MonaLisa
November 15th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I love face framing layers :)
And it sounds like it's what you need!

DancingQueen
November 15th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I have to have face framing layers, as my face does not look good without them. They don't really get in my way, and if I want them out of my face, I can just lace braid them, or pin them back. I would recommend it. :)

ericthegreat
November 15th, 2011, 03:11 AM
As long as you have at least a decent amount of hair thickness, face-framing layers can definitely work well with your haircut. If the picture at the bottom of your avatar is indeed a length shot of your own hair jenjen, then you have no worries, your hair is in fact quite full and thick and you would look great with face-framing layers.

blondecat
November 15th, 2011, 03:20 AM
I still have 'Face Framing layers' but unfortunately, my hair is very thin and this does not work with Hip lenght thin hair.

Your hair looks thick, its BSL, you should be fine, go for it. It does give a different diamension to you hair.

jacqueline101
November 15th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I love my bangs and layers too.

unknown
November 15th, 2011, 04:01 AM
You probably won't regret it.
Some conditioner/mousse will hold all the pieces that would usually stick out of an updo or braid. The shorter pieces that falls down when you do an updo can easily be pinned if you feel that they are in the way.

I have face framing layers and can do all kinds of hairstyles that can be achieved with all one-length hair. It also looks a lot better when you let your hair down.

jacqueline101
November 15th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I love my bangs and layers too.

papera
November 15th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have face-framing layers with hip-length hair and I looove them! The make buns and updos look less harsh and more playful. Maybe just start with a small section, just to see how you feel with them and whether they could be an issue in your job. You can then still increase the amount of hair you want to have in your face-framing layers.
Keep them long enough to stick them behind your ears, or just pin/ braid them back when needed!
Good luck!

kanaka
November 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I am in the same situation. i have front layers with past hip length hair and i liked them at first. But now i am in so much pain and always thinking "why did i get layers"?
I want them to grow out soon and they reduced the thickness of my hair as well which is so irritating :(

I am unable to braid so i pony my hair to college and at home i wear my hair in buns

blondie9912
November 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Face framing layers are a great way to avoid making your hair look too 'curtain-like', if that's not the look you're going for. I would recommend cutting them perhaps to somewhere between your chin and shoulder, so you can still pull them back if need be :)

Priska
December 27th, 2023, 04:14 PM
Thinking about this. Ffl certainly decorate my face and make it look thinner when i have my other hair up. I don't know if very long face framing layers look good anymore :confused: but maybe i could have a little Les them and bro Frank sample have of them as long as other hair...
I really must think about this. Maybe face framing layers can anyway be longer than mine are now.