PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here started eating meat again?

buttercupmcgee
November 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I cut meat out of my diet in August. I met with a nutritionist and began incorporating tons of lentils, quinoa, dark leafy greens (consumed with vitamin c!), supplements, etc.

All was fine for a while, then about 3 weeks ago I began feeling incredibly fatigued, and about a week ago it felt as if my ponytail circumference has decreased. I thought I was imagining it, but a few days later I noticed that 2 loops of my bedtime scrunchie no longer hold it securely, I need 3. :(

The shed and fatigue could be attributed to any number of things. I intend on visiting my GP next week, but until I see her I thought I'd come here in the meantime for my own edification.

So, has anyone here experienced something like this, and did you resume eating meat, and if so did it make a difference?

I am well aware that a vegetarian diet can be very nutritious, some of my closest friends have lots of energy sustaining themselves as vegetarians or vegans. I just don't know if my body is going through some kind of transitional funk, or if its not reacting well to the lack of meat, because my veg. diet is mostly perfect and I'm utterly exhausted and somewhat sallow.

Not to mention the shedding. I'm not usually much of a shedder--this is the biggest I can remember. :confused:

I might have to start eating meat again if this continues and my dr. can't pinpoint anything else.

Any insights would be appreciated!

ktani
November 14th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I cut meat out of my diet in August. I met with a nutritionist and began incorporating tons of lentils, quinoa, dark leafy greens (consumed with vitamin c!), supplements, etc.

All was fine for a while, then about 3 weeks ago I began feeling incredibly fatigued, and about a week ago it felt as if my ponytail circumference has decreased. I thought I was imagining it, but a few days later I noticed that 2 loops of my bedtime scrunchie no longer hold it securely, I need 3. :(

The shed and fatigue could be attributed to any number of things. I intend on visiting my GP next week, but until I see her I thought I'd come here in the meantime for my own edification.

So, has anyone here experienced something like this, and did you resume eating meat, and if so did it make a difference?

I am well aware that a vegetarian diet can be very nutritious, some of my closest friends have lots of energy sustaining themselves as vegetarians or vegans. I just don't know if my body is going through some kind of transitional funk, or if its not reacting well to the lack of meat, because my veg. diet is mostly perfect and I'm utterly exhausted and somewhat sallow.

Not to mention the shedding. I'm not usually much of a shedder--this is the biggest I can remember. :confused:

I might have to start eating meat again if this continues and my dr. can't pinpoint anything else.

Any insights would be appreciated!

Vegetarian diets can be tricky. They can be very healthy, you just need to make sure you cover all the the bases.

It sounds as if your doctor may be right.

Amber_Maiden
November 14th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Were you taking vitamins at all? You should have been taking b12 and iron, if you stopped eating meat.

I've been vegan since 15. Vegetarian for even longer. So in total, I've probably been vegetarian 10 years. Vegan for almost 8. I've never had that happen to me. But then again, I always ate a balanced meal. I didn't see that you were eating nuts or tofu as part of your diet. Were you?

longhairedlady
November 14th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I eat vegetarian and dont have this problem, but like Amber Maiden said, I take a iron and b12 supp and other vitamins as well.

PixxieStix
November 14th, 2011, 05:17 PM
My thought is that there has to be some other reason (not that there *is*, it's just my reasoning) for this. With your diet, especially with the quinoa (which is a complete source for all essential amino acids, making it an excellent "meat substitution") I don't see any obvious reasons why your body would react that way. It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with your educated decisions on nutrient intake for a healthy vegetarian lifestyle.

I wish I had more to share, but I have not been through such an experience. I hope you can get more answers soon, and hope the shedding stops! Lol, tell your body to quit complaining, it's getting all sorts of tasty/good things! :)

owlathena
November 14th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I've been vegetarian my whole life (and vegan for the past 8 months) and have never experienced any health problems. Its more about eating a variety of foods and balanced meals than anything else. Supplements might be beneficial, but its better to get nutrition from food! I hope you're able to fix whatever problem you're having and continue vegetarianism!

mrs_coffee
November 14th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I suffered from malnutrition on a vegan diet. I have a degree in nutrition so I was very careful about what I ate but it just was not a good fit for me. I think some people thrive on vegetarian and vegan diets and some do not. Everyone is different.

ladyfey
November 14th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I did while pregnant, I had hyper-emesis (extreme morning sickness) and tried anything to see if it would stay down! Only thing that helped at all was caffeine-free Coke!

turtlelover
November 14th, 2011, 05:21 PM
I didn't feel good as a vegan, but do well if I incorporate eggs and dairy products into my diet. I would research supplements for vegetarians, and make sure you are getting enough b12 and iron in particular.

jojo
November 14th, 2011, 05:22 PM
It sounds more like a health problem such as hypothyroidism or anaemia, maybe go back to your GP and ask him to run some blood tests.

Hope you get this sorted out.

xoxophelia
November 14th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I don't think being vegetarian is for everybody. It wasn't for me that is for sure. My heart rate will become too slow (low 40s/high 30s), I become weak, nails go clear, hair thins..

What it comes down to is the amount of grams of protein per calories. If you actually look, many vegetarian protein sources simply don't compare to meat. So it may not fit for you. I am not sure the reasons but I do much better with some meat.

Mairéad
November 14th, 2011, 05:44 PM
It's probably anemia. That's one of the most common health side affects someone can get from being vegetarian/vegan. I tried to be a vegetarian and ate the crap out of legumes and spinach, took iron, B12, and Vit C but still ended up quite anemic and had very low blood pressure. It just seems that my body so readily absorbs heme iron but has trouble with plant sources (ferric) iron. I also just crave protein and while whole grains have quite a bit I just need the amount that comes from meat as I cannot eat dairy either.

jujube
November 14th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I don't think being vegetarian is for everybody. It wasn't for me that is for sure. My heart rate will become too slow (low 40s/high 30s), I become weak, nails go clear, hair thins..

What it comes down to is the amount of grams of protein per calories. If you actually look, many vegetarian protein sources simply don't compare to meat. So it may not fit for you. I am not sure the reasons but I do much better with some meat.

Same experience here.

Orangerthanred
November 14th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I've ate meat my whole life [mainly fish, deer, and many types of birds].

Technically, it's impossible for me to become a vegetarian or vegan. I cannot eat gluten [celiac], soy [severely allergic to soy], or some fruits and vegetables [oral allergy syndrome]. That eliminates all the vegan meals, and almost every vegetarian meal.

ratgirldjh
November 14th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I was a vegetarian for at least 25 years. I started eating meat slowly about 10 years ago and realized that I really needed it. And I always took vitamins and ate a very balanced vegetarian diet.

However I was forever constipated and eventually ended up with diabetes! Probably had nothing to do with being a vegetarian but I did eat a lot of grain and found out since that grains aren't good for me...

When I started eating meat I realized I had much more energy, my fingernails got super hard and all the white spots went away, my skin became less dry, and the fat I had been carrying around my mid section (despite being thin everywhere else lol) for years slowly went away.

Very weird.

My best friend who also has been a vegetarian for over 20 years and has numerous health problems started eating meat almost a year ago and has lost a lot of weight and some of her health problems are going away.

I had tried being grain free and a vegetarian but I got too thin. Seems I need the protein. Thing is that now I have a harder time keeping weight on...

I don't eat a lot of meat though; but I am not longer afraid to eat it.

cheetahfast
November 14th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I suffered from malnutrition on a vegan diet. I have a degree in nutrition so I was very careful about what I ate but it just was not a good fit for me. I think some people thrive on vegetarian and vegan diets and some do not. Everyone is different.

I had issues with veganism as well. My diet was very balanced. Now I'm a strict vegetarian and I think some people can't do vegan or vegetarian diets.

I've also never take vitamins. I don't believe in them...that's something I won't get into here though.

Anyways, I've be vegetarian for about 10 years and I'm fine without the meat :shrug:

mrs_coffee
November 14th, 2011, 07:12 PM
My middle daughter has been vegan for three years and is the picture of health. Veganism works beautifully for her. I was concerned initially because of my own problems with it, but she has been tested and is not deficient in anything.

Moor_tu_lyfe
November 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I have never been vegetarian, let alone vegan, but I recently changed my diet to a primal/"nourishing traditions" one where I eat lots of "quality" meat, fruit and veg, nuts, eggs, dairy and any grain I eat (which is minimal), or nuts and seeds, is properly prepared with soaking/fermenting etc. I changed my diet at a similar time to trying WO, and my hair growth has been phenomenal!! My scalp was literally covered in new baby hairs, and my braids are looking very thick and healthy!

So maybe its lack of harsh shampoo, extra massages on scalp or nutrient dense diet- or a combination of all three!

Good luck and I hope you figure out what's wrong and get your health back on track. :)

luxepiggy
November 14th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Has switching to vegetarianism affected the amount of fat in your diet? I've never cut out meat, but I did notice a big improvement in my hair when I laid off the fat-free everything (^(oo)^)

buttercupmcgee
November 14th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate your input. Luxepiggy, I don't believe my fat content has changed, if anything I'm eating more oils and avocado and nuts. But, you made me realize my dairy intake has spiked (grilled cheese and tomato has replaced burgers) and dairy has always somewhat disagreed with me, maybe it's showing up in my hair.

I will take everyone's words into consideration, and keep you all posted after I talk to the doc.

jeanniet
November 14th, 2011, 08:08 PM
If you mean since growing your hair, I eat a lot less meat than I did a couple of years ago. I'm finding that it just appeals to me less and less. I'm not a vegetarian, because I struggle with an eating disorder and I don't like to tell myself "can't", but I just don't eat much meat and often eat vegan. No health issues and in fact I do feel a lot better; no change in hair growth or anything either. But it does take quite a bit of effort to eat well, and if you're prone to anemia or anything like that I can see where it would be difficult on a vegetarian diet.

I would just caution against making any assumptions until you've had some testing done, and don't let your doctor do it, either. It would be easy to say it must be the recent change in diet, but it could very well be something else.

girlcat36
November 14th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I was vegetarian for a long time, and vegan for a little while. As much as I hate to admit it, being vegetarian was not for me. I made good food choices as a vegan/vegetarian, but my body does better on eggs/fish/chicken(red meat--still can't go there). It's hard for me because in a perfect world I would be a vegan, but I know I need meat. I still haven't come to terms with it yet. I'm sure I would feel even better if I had a steak once in a while, but that's pushing it.
I have a lot health conditions that require me to give my body what it needs, so back to animal protein!
My duaghter was vegan for 5 years, and while healthy at first, she eventually lost half her hair. She switched to a egg/fish/dairy diet and within a year she regained her lost thickness.
So I agree that while vegetarianism can be a very healthy lifestyle for some, it is not for everyone.

allycat
November 14th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I have never been vegetarian, let alone vegan, but I recently changed my diet to a primal/"nourishing traditions" one where I eat lots of "quality" meat, fruit and veg, nuts, eggs, dairy and any grain I eat (which is minimal), or nuts and seeds, is properly prepared with soaking/fermenting etc. I changed my diet at a similar time to trying WO, and my hair growth has been phenomenal!! My scalp was literally covered in new baby hairs, and my braids are looking very thick and healthy!

So maybe its lack of harsh shampoo, extra massages on scalp or nutrient dense diet- or a combination of all three!

Good luck and I hope you figure out what's wrong and get your health back on track.

Me too. I've been primal for a while and that was the first thing I noticed, that my hair was growing faster. My skin is also less dry and that belly pooch I couldn't shed after having kids is gone. Lots of meat and fat is very good for me.

BlazingHeart
November 14th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I have been advised that medically speaking, vegetarianism is an extraordinarily bad idea for me. Even eating meat, I tend to test low on b12 and iron, and do not respond very well to supplements for the latter. Being low in either can cause fatigue and hair loss.

There are, of course, numerous other things that can cause those two symptoms. Thyroid imbalance and food intolerance, to name a couple. A doctor's office sounds like a good idea.

xoxophelia
November 14th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I was vegetarian for a long time, and vegan for a little while. As much as I hate to admit it, being vegetarian was not for me. I made good food choices as a vegan/vegetarian, but my body does better on eggs/fish/chicken(red meat--still can't go there). It's hard for me because in a perfect world I would be a vegan, but I know I need meat. I still haven't come to terms with it yet. I'm sure I would feel even better if I had a steak once in a while, but that's pushing it.
I have a lot health conditions that require me to give my body what it needs, so back to animal protein!
My duaghter was vegan for 5 years, and while healthy at first, she eventually lost half her hair. She switched to a egg/fish/dairy diet and within a year she regained her lost thickness.
So I agree that while vegetarianism can be a very healthy lifestyle for some, it is not for everyone.

This is very similar to my own feelings on it. I was also sick for 7 months which is what pushed me to finally give up on being veg. I am also lactose intolerant so I was often eating a close to vegan diet.

aisha.christine
November 14th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I was a vegetarian for about two and a half years, and during that time span I became very ill. I ate a very healthy vegetarian diet, and I focused very hard on getting all of my bases covered food group wise. I took all the vitamins and supplements that my doctor suggested and I still felt terrible. I went back to my doctor, and he told me that I just wasn't cut out for a vegetarian diet, but I also couldn't digest red meat well. I am now a pollo/pesco "vegetarian" and I feel infinitely better. Some people just can't get the right amount of protein from plants. :shrug:
It made me sad to give it up, but I figured my health was the most important thing for me.
I strongly suggest asking your GP about it.

Pierre
November 14th, 2011, 09:40 PM
The first thing I thought of has nothing to do with diet. If you've been using the same scrunchie, it could have lost elasticity and gotten wider.

The nutrients you're likely to not get enough of on a vegetarian diet are not protein, but vitamins B12, A, D, and K2. K1 is found abundantly in leafy greens, but humans don't convert it efficiently to K2, and they have quite different functions. K1 enables blood to clot; K2 puts calcium where it goes. I was eating raw vegan for a few years and got lots of cavities. I now eat local pastured meat, including organs, usually cooked with grains or potatoes. But I still eat lots of raw food - sweet potatoes, onions, tomatoes, avocados, lettuce, homemade sauerkraut, and of course my morning smoothie.

Also, do you eat enough fat? I've heard of people eating 8-1-1 (8 kJ of carbs for every 1 kJ each of protein and fat), but I couldn't even think of trying that. I ate then, and still do, an avocado almost every day. I also eat, in smaller amounts, olive oil, coconut oil, pasture butter, and FCLO/BO.

racrane
November 14th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Well, I can certainly relate. I am thinking of eating meat again because I am very poor in college right now and honestly can't get all the vitamins I need. My hair is at its thinnest ever. I have had other issues in the past (eating disorders) so my body isn't exactly running smoothly right now. But as much as I hate eating meat, I think I might incorporate it back into my diet.

If you feel the need to do the same, I fully understand and support you!

TrudieCat
November 14th, 2011, 10:17 PM
The first thing I thought of has nothing to do with diet. If you've been using the same scrunchie, it could have lost elasticity and gotten wider.

The nutrients you're likely to not get enough of on a vegetarian diet are not protein, but vitamins B12, A, D, and K2. K1 is found abundantly in leafy greens, but humans don't convert it efficiently to K2, and they have quite different functions. K1 enables blood to clot; K2 puts calcium where it goes. I was eating raw vegan for a few years and got lots of cavities. I now eat local pastured meat, including organs, usually cooked with grains or potatoes. But I still eat lots of raw food - sweet potatoes, onions, tomatoes, avocados, lettuce, homemade sauerkraut, and of course my morning smoothie.

Also, do you eat enough fat? I've heard of people eating 8-1-1 (8 kJ of carbs for every 1 kJ each of protein and fat), but I couldn't even think of trying that. I ate then, and still do, an avocado almost every day. I also eat, in smaller amounts, olive oil, coconut oil, pasture butter, and FCLO/BO.

I agree with this. It's not usually protein deficiency that is the problem with incomplete vegetarian diets.

My personal sense is that if this just started 3 weeks ago and you've been vegetarian since August, it's probably not due to diet, or at least to the fact that you're not eating meat. It's honestly your call though - if you are not bothered by eating meat, then eat meat if you feel it will improve your health. But if you do not want to eat meat, I'd look for other, more specific causes. I think it's an over-simplification to say that meat is a cure-all for people struggling with vegetarian diets, since vegetarian diets vary tremendously - in other words, there is no such things as *a* vegetarian diet since there are many types of diets and many ways to get various nutrients. There are a million reasons why your hair could be shedding, and my sense is that the vegetarian diet is being blamed because it's an easy thing to blame. That's just my opinion, though.

curlytiff27
November 14th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I'm not nor have been vegetarian, but if you started in August and am now noticing it, I personally think it could be that because its now 3 months later. It may be a form of TE, and going vegetarian may have shocked your system, and as a result your shedding. Im also thinking you want to get some blood work done and have them check your iron, vitamin d and your ferratin levels on top if everything else in the cbc.Def check with your doc, but sounds like your already doing so. :) I wish you luck n less shedding...I'm going through the same right now too...it sucks!

long
November 15th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I was vegan for about 7 years and it was not good for me. I now eat some meat and no dairy. I just feel better without dairy.

CariadA
November 15th, 2011, 12:30 AM

My first thought was also that the scrunchie had stretched out. It doesn't take long for my scrunchies or elastics to stretch out even with my thin hair.

I never eat red meat. I was raised eating a primarily vegetarian diet with seafood or poultry (only wild game such as pheasant, grouse or turkey) a couple of time a month. It may be because of this that my body just doesn't seem to handle red meat well. I haven't even tried to eat it in six years. The few times I have eaten pork products, it has both tasted really gross to me and made me physically ill. Beef never tasted that bad but has always made me sick.

I also wanted to say that avocados are seriously the perfect food. They taste amazing, have lots of healthy fats and have almost twice the potassium of a banana. My neurological health and hair growth seems to get much worse if I don't get enough potassium so food like avocados and sweet potatoes are really a staple for me.

ETA: For those with lactose-intolerance issues, goat's milk can be a great option. I drink and cook with raw goat's milk quite a bit. Because of hormonal imbalances, I avoid soy products. Goat's milk is so much kinder to humans' systems than cow's milk. It is much more easily digested and absorbs much better. Many people who are "lactose intolerant" are just allergic to the type of protein in cow's milk. As a child, I had a severe cow's milk allergy but never had any problems with goat's milk.

Rosetta
November 15th, 2011, 02:53 AM

I have a similar experience. I was vegetarian for over 3 years, but have now been back to "normal" diet (that's what everyone around me considers it...) for some years. I didn't have any actual health issues, but I do feel my skin and hair are in a better condition since I've gone back to meat. (And yes, I did take vitamin supplements when vegetarian.)

Talking about protein, one of the things that bother(ed) me most about vegetarianism is the sources of protein... Meat and fish (and also eggs, as vegans/strict vegetarians don't eat them) are just so much more natural than than all those meat substitutes, like textured vegetable protein, fake meat, etc, which are just modern industrial products... So being vegetarian in a way requires eating somewhat unnaturally. (Or eating loads of beans/pulses, which to me is not very natural either.)

Btw, is anyone here familiar with the blood group diet theory? ("Eat Right For Your Type" by Peter D'Adamo, etc.) Obviously it's not scientifically proven, and I don't completely buy into it, but I do feel there might well be something to it; it might partly explain why some people thrive on vegetarian diets and some don't. My blood group is O, which is the "meat eater/primal diet" group, so I'm "meant" to eat meat, according to this theory. OTOH, according to it I'm not supposed to eat grains or dairy, which I love and are not ready to give up :wink:

pepperminttea
November 15th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Silly question, but has your actual ponytail circumference measurement changed? Scrunchies stretch out over time, my hair bands normally double in size before I retire them.

I was vegetarian for five years. I can't say I'd recommend the way I did it, my cheese consumption went way up and I felt tired all the time. It doesn't help that I'm borderline anaemic to start with; my iron level was always through the floor. Even now I'm back eating meat, I have to take an iron supplement. Ethically, I'd love to still be a vegetarian, maybe even a vegan, but it just doesn't work for my body, and my doctor has said it's generally not a good idea for me. :( I try to stick to British free range and outdoor-bred meat, so the animals have at least not spent their entire lives in a crate, but I still feel guilty and a bit wretched about it.

Pierre
November 15th, 2011, 04:43 AM
The few times I have eaten pork products, it has both tasted really gross to me and made me physically ill.
The latest issue of Wise Traditions has an article about an experiment in which three people ate various cuts of pork and lamb and their blood was examined before and after. An unmarinated pork chop caused severe aggregation of red blood cells. An unmarinated lamb chop had no visible effect.

Curlytiff, what are TE and cbc?

celebriangel
November 15th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Some people just don't do well with veggie diets. After about three days, nomatter how awesome my diet, I go totally nuts with ravenous hunger for animal protein and fainting spells if I don't.

It is a possibility that you might not agree with being veggie. Just over 3 months is the sort of timeframe where nutritional unhappiness will show up in your hair.

buttercupmcgee
November 15th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I agree with this. It's not usually protein deficiency that is the problem with incomplete vegetarian diets.

My personal sense is that if this just started 3 weeks ago and you've been vegetarian since August, it's probably not due to diet, or at least to the fact that you're not eating meat. It's honestly your call though - if you are not bothered by eating meat, then eat meat if you feel it will improve your health. But if you do not want to eat meat, I'd look for other, more specific causes. I think it's an over-simplification to say that meat is a cure-all for people struggling with vegetarian diets, since vegetarian diets vary tremendously - in other words, there is no such things as *a* vegetarian diet since there are many types of diets and many ways to get various nutrients. There are a million reasons why your hair could be shedding, and my sense is that the vegetarian diet is being blamed because it's an easy thing to blame. That's just my opinion, though.

I know where you're coming from. The trouble is it's not just the hair, it's general fatigue and weakness. Nothing else in my life has changed, no job stress, relationship going fine, same apartment, same workouts (although now I can barely get through them)....it's the only thing I've altered, and I've spoken with people who also suffered chronic tiredness when they went veg, so it becomes naturally suspect.

buttercupmcgee
November 15th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Some people just don't do well with veggie diets. After about three days, nomatter how awesome my diet, I go totally nuts with ravenous hunger for animal protein and fainting spells if I don't.

It is a possibility that you might not agree with being veggie. Just over 3 months is the sort of timeframe where nutritional unhappiness will show up in your hair.

Interesting. That's also what my stylist (who I emailed about this because I'm a nutter) said.

buttercupmcgee
November 15th, 2011, 07:45 AM

My first thought was also that the scrunchie had stretched out. It doesn't take long for my scrunchies or elastics to stretch out even with my thin hair.

I never eat red meat. I was raised eating a primarily vegetarian diet with seafood or poultry (only wild game such as pheasant, grouse or turkey) a couple of time a month. It may be because of this that my body just doesn't seem to handle red meat well. I haven't even tried to eat it in six years. The few times I have eaten pork products, it has both tasted really gross to me and made me physically ill. Beef never tasted that bad but has always made me sick.

I also wanted to say that avocados are seriously the perfect food. They taste amazing, have lots of healthy fats and have almost twice the potassium of a banana. My neurological health and hair growth seems to get much worse if I don't get enough potassium so food like avocados and sweet potatoes are really a staple for me.

ETA: For those with lactose-intolerance issues, goat's milk can be a great option. I drink and cook with raw goat's milk quite a bit. Because of hormonal imbalances, I avoid soy products. Goat's milk is so much kinder to humans' systems than cow's milk. It is much more easily digested and absorbs much better. Many people who are "lactose intolerant" are just allergic to the type of protein in cow's milk. As a child, I had a severe cow's milk allergy but never had any problems with goat's milk.

Silly question, but has your actual ponytail circumference measurement changed? Scrunchies stretch out over time, my hair bands normally double in size before I retire them.

I was vegetarian for five years. I can't say I'd recommend the way I did it, my cheese consumption went way up and I felt tired all the time. It doesn't help that I'm borderline anaemic to start with; my iron level was always through the floor. Even now I'm back eating meat, I have to take an iron supplement. Ethically, I'd love to still be a vegetarian, maybe even a vegan, but it just doesn't work for my body, and my doctor has said it's generally not a good idea for me. :( I try to stick to British free range and outdoor-bred meat, so the animals have at least not spent their entire lives in a crate, but I still feel guilty and a bit wretched about it.

We are in the same boat, Pepperminttea. To answer your question, my scrunchie does not feel or look particularly stretched out. In fact I'd say it's the same as when I got it. My braided pig tails also feel thinner, which I noticed today.

I know what you mean about cheese consumption going way up. So did mine.

I very much wish I didn't feel this way right now, I am having a really hard time handling the morality vs. how my body feels.

I will say I had chicken last night for dinner where I'd usually have quinoa, and felt an immediate surge of vigor. I even feel better and more balanced today.

Arg!

Anje
November 15th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Probably the better test would be that the lactose-intolerant should still be able to consume those lactose-free milks, kefir, and sour cream with no problems. Goat milk, by contrast, is actually slightly higher in lactose than cow's milk. I'm off on an extreme end for lactose intolerance, where the amount used as filler in medications can cause me problems and the candy coating on M&Ms will leave me suffering for hours, but I brew and drink my own kefir from cow's milk with no problems.

buttercupmcgee
November 15th, 2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the goat's milk tip! I also love avocados!!

Maraz
November 15th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I was a vegetarian for several years and recently tried to go back to it. After one week, I felt horrible and on the last two days all I did was sleep.

I took my vitamins, drank plenty of tea, ate eggs and drank milk, and the rest was mostly beans and rice. I might try again soon and throw some more greens in there, but I suspect something is off with my metabolism now, because I felt wretched for days and as soon as I ate a burger, I got some energy back.

I'd much prefer to return to being a vegetarian, but until I figure out where I went wrong, it's not going to happen.

mora
November 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM
We are in the same boat, Pepperminttea. To answer your question, my scrunchie does not feel or look particularly stretched out. In fact I'd say it's the same as when I got it. My braided pig tails also feel thinner, which I noticed today.

I know what you mean about cheese consumption going way up. So did mine.

I very much wish I didn't feel this way right now, I am having a really hard time handling the morality vs. how my body feels.

I will say I had chicken last night for dinner where I'd usually have quinoa, and felt an immediate surge of vigor. I even feel better and more balanced today.

Arg!

It could be that the increased cheese consumption is interfering with your attempts to balance your vegetarian diet. Calcium decreases the absorption of iron and the non-heme iron sources found in vegetarian diets are already more difficult to absorb than heme iron. Fatigue and hair loss are symptoms of anemia so while it is certainly possible that you may need meat in your diet to feel healthy, it may also be as simple as changing how and when you combine your current foods/supplements. It should be fairly easy for your doctor to test if you are anemic or even just have low-normal iron levels.

Having said that, eating meat may be what is best for your health and that should be your first priority. It seems to have restored your energy fairly quickly. Good luck in working everything out. :flower: