View Full Version : Henna Gloss-Is water necessary?

Rowan1980
November 14th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I've encountered several different henna gloss recipes both on this forum and on the Internet in general. My question is this: Is it necessary to use water/herbal infusions so that the dye release can occur, or can one simply warm up some conditioner, add the henna, and allow it to sit for a while before slathering it on? Is there an advantage to one process over the other, or is it largely one of personal preference?

Thanks in advance. :)

Amber_Maiden
November 14th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I've always used a tiny bit of water for my glosses, then added the CO.

ellen732
November 14th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I like to use dye released henna for my glosses.

Audrey Horne
November 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I defreeze my ready henna paste, then mix it with whatever I like. I think a gloss without water would be super thick, I just don't see any advantages.

AmericanWoman
November 14th, 2011, 07:16 PM
In my experience, hennna needs water to dyr release? +'ve added dry henna to olive oil,ect for oil infusion and the dye never released. O, adding itdry to conditioner might not work.

caribou55313
November 15th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Conditioner contains water and you can get some dye release by simply adding powder to cold conditioner, but you'll have more control over how much dye release you have if you use prepared paste (for example, frozen dye released paste) mixed into conditioner instead.

Avital88
November 15th, 2011, 07:06 AM
i use hot water until the henna is a thick mud then add a lot of co and a thicker mask and some amla so it will just be a thick hair mask

MJheals
November 15th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I've tried henna glosses with just warm conditioner and honey, I got a very small amount of dye release compared to adding hot water. I definitely suggest freezing small amounts of dye released henna in an ice cube tray for glosses, it's so convenient! :)

Rowan1980
November 15th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Good to know. Thanks, guys! :)