PDA

View Full Version : Using ACV?

Winged
November 14th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I hope this is the right forum to post this in.

When you use ACV on your hair, how do you do it? Do you just put straight ACV on your hair, or do you dilute it somehow?

Thanks!

Amber_Maiden
November 14th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I think most people dilute it. I use a couple of tablespoons in a liter jug. That's a bit much for most people though, I think.

PrairieRose
November 14th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I have read you can use 1/3 cup ACV to one quart of water.

AstrayStar
November 14th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I actually usually use about 2 tbsp of acv in a cup of water, my scalp really likes it! Although I have also been using the HALO rinse minus the oil and my hair really loves that too!

Winged
November 14th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Thanks everybody!

I actually usually use about 2 tbsp of acv in a cup of water, my scalp really likes it! Although I have also been using the HALO rinse minus the oil and my hair really loves that too!

What is a HALO rinse?

jojo
November 14th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I normally fill a jug of warm water and add a couple of cap fulls in it and I apply after ive shampooed and conditioned; I don't rinse out, though many do.

coffinhert
November 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I think I use the strongest ACV I've seen reported on here. I do about 50/50 with water, pour it on my scalp while my hair is dry, then hop in the shower 20 mins later. I rinse it out with water but I don't really put anything else on my scalp.

Modarunner
November 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I cover the bottom of a gallon jug with acv and then fill it up with cool water. I used to use it between my shampoo and conditioner, but since I switched to shampoo bars, it's my final step and since I use cool water I don't bother to rinse it out.

julliams
November 14th, 2011, 08:33 PM
For me it's a splash into a litre jug of cold water. A splash would be between 1 - 2 tablespoons. I often think this isn't much but then when I am pouring it on my hair, I can really smell it and I know it's plenty for me. Then I leave it in for a minute and rinse it out. If I don't I find that the smell lingers longer than I'm happy with. When I rinse it out, it's all good!

JuliaDancer
November 14th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I use a lot, but I feel like my hair is softer when I use it. I get a big water glass and fill about a fifth of it with apple cider vinegar, and the rest with cold filtered water from the fridge. I pour it over my hair at the end of my shower, and that's it.

Diamond.Eyes
November 14th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I add 3 tablespoons of ACV to about 2 cups of cold water. After I've shampooed my hair, I dump the ACV onto my hair, let it soak for about five minutes then rinse it out. I then follow with my conditioner. I find that my hair is much more moisturized this way. :p

spidermom
November 14th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I didn't like the red tones that ACV gave me, so I use white vinegar - a tablespoon or two into a quart or more of warm water. My doctor told me that I could use it full strength without harm when the kids had lice and we were combing out nits, which makes the job much easier.

FallGirl
November 14th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I do the 1/3 cup ACV to a Quart of water. I shampoo and then squirt the rinse in my hair using a one litre diet coke bottle with a hole in the lid. And then rinse. I actually just did this today so my hair is really straight, soft and lovely. And then I tried to rope braid and that didn't go so well..

PrairieRose
November 14th, 2011, 08:49 PM
If you feel that the ACV rinse is too harsh some people find the Red Wine Vinegar is milder.

Winged
November 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Thank you so much, everybody! I'm definitely going to try it.

julliams
November 14th, 2011, 08:52 PM
If you feel that the ACV rinse is too harsh some people find the Red Wine Vinegar is milder.

Is this the same as Balsamic Vinegar? I've never even considered that I could use that - might give some cool rich tones to my hair...

ETA - googled and it's not the same. Wonder if it would work though?

TheLorelei
November 14th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Careful if you have hard water, the ACV can build up on the hair and make it waxy when combined with all the minerals. Get a water softener or use boiled water, bottled water or filtered water for the last rinse. I usually use around 1/4 to 1/3 cup in a large glass of COLD water.

Dars
November 14th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Is this the same as Balsamic Vinegar? I've never even considered that I could use that - might give some cool rich tones to my hair...

ETA - googled and it's not the same. Wonder if it would work though?
I thought Balsamic had sugars in it. I don't think I'd want to put that in my hair if it did, but then again I don't do a rinse after application. I've tried malt vinegar which is a similar colour I think.

Winged
November 15th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Careful if you have hard water, the ACV can build up on the hair and make it waxy when combined with all the minerals. Get a water softener or use boiled water, bottled water or filtered water for the last rinse. I usually use around 1/4 to 1/3 cup in a large glass of COLD water.

Thanks for the warning. Our water is a little on the hard side, but still not hard enough to be considered hard (if that makes sense).

pepperminttea
November 15th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I use 4 sloppy tablespoons in 8 fluid oz. of water. :) I started with 1 tablespoon, and experimented. I use it after washing, rinse it out, and then use conditioner afterwards.

I wouldn't recommend using stronger than 50/50 with water at the very most.

Winged
November 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM
So I did it this morning when I washed my hair. :D My hair feels really soft and cleaner than it usually does after being washed.

krissykins
November 15th, 2011, 09:12 PM
What is a HALO rinse?

Recipe located here: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=49898

Winged
November 15th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Thank you!

PrincessBob
November 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
A couple of table spoons in a 1.5 litre cup, fill with lukewarm water.

SoulOfTheSea
November 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I use about a teaspoon for every two cups in lukewarm water, and that suffices. :) I like to soak my ends in the container first, for like maybe 30 seconds or so, and then pour the rest over my scalp and let it run down to the ends, and I do not rinse it out either. The smell just goes away after it dries.

mora
November 15th, 2011, 11:29 PM

Hmm, I thought it was the opposite and that vinegar actually helps when you have water. Don't people use vinegar rinses after shampoo bars to prevent waxy buildup? I was also thinking of how vinegar is used to remove hard water buildup in coffee pots but perhaps it was something else...:confused:

krissykins
November 16th, 2011, 12:42 AM
^It's true, ACV helps remove waxy buildup. The buildup that the PP experienced might have been from something else...