PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else made those knitting needle hairpins thereself?

Blackfire
November 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I got some green doublepoint knitting needles from walmart today, and just beind them around into a U shape.... I think they look just as good as the ones ive seen selling for 30+ bucks.. I just wondered if anyone has done this yet?

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s41/dontfearthedarkness/Picture1256.jpg

misstwist
November 14th, 2011, 04:23 PM
You want to search the term "wavelength pins" to find threads on that around here.

mallorykay13
November 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM
YES! I am wearing one in my hair RIGHT NOW! I have green ones too! They came in a five pack.

Blackfire
November 14th, 2011, 04:29 PM
not the best pic..... they are more green and shint and my hair is more brown and chocolatey..... bad lighting, lol

Wavelength
November 14th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Yep, I did it a few times with different coloured knitting needles! :)

It's pretty easy -- just bend the needle around a doorknob until it looks like a U. They hold quite well. Mine are steel-blue and the other set is pink.

haibane
November 14th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Yep, I have made a few different ones with different types of knitting needles. I use them as forks rather than pins. I have some Quattro forks too, and the home made ones work pretty much the same, but the Quattros are prettier.

MJheals
November 14th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Aren't these nifty things almost the best thing ever? ;) I made mine about a year ago, and was so excited when I saw how well they held! They were very inexpensive (Around $3 I think), and they've lasted this long with no visible wear so far. Can't recommend these enough! :)

DarthCynthia
November 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I love mine -- it's pretty much all I've worn in my hair for the past several years. Anything else gets broken or falls out. Very secure!

Anje
November 14th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I've got a set or three that I've made. Personally, I don't bend them around anything, just measure and mark the midpoint with pencil, then stick my thumbs on either side of the mark and start bending. (This gives a narrower, more V-shaped pin than if you bend around a dowel or doorknob.)

Oddly, one of my sets is a different color anodized aluminum from the other two, and is far slipperier. I don't use those ones much, since they seem to spontaneously slide out.

hypersensitive
November 16th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I think they're a great DIY hair toy. Very easy to make and very efficient in use! Here are mine:
http://itsnotlong.tumblr.com/post/8399967765/my-good-friends-camellia-oil-and-diy-hairpins