PDA

View Full Version : The Protective Covering Challenge

darklyndsea
November 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Today I realized that I've mastered keeping my hair up every day, so I got to thinking...what can I do to protect my hair more? And since there's so much wind and sun here (well, less sun lately, since it's fall), the answer's obvious: cover it when I go outside! I suspect I'm going to have a lot more trouble with this challenge.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to cover your hair with something to protect it from the sun, wind, and weather in general, every time you go outside.

Who's with me?

Avital88
November 14th, 2011, 01:35 PM
hmm what do you mean? like real religious type of covering?

Lissandria
November 14th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I like this idea.
I assume you're talking bun covers, nets, scarves, hats, bandannas etc.

I've been thinking of ordering a snood to cover my hair on days when I can't be bothered putting it up but I need it out of the way- Im so lazy. I'll admit, I like the gypsy-ish, old world europe look of snoods.

darklyndsea
November 14th, 2011, 02:36 PM
hmm what do you mean? like real religious type of covering?
Personally, I'm trying to avoid looking religious while doing this challenge, although that's certainly one way of doing it. But, like Lissandria said: using scarves, hats, bandanas, etc. to protect your hair.

jeanniet
November 14th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I have several of the gypsywraps from etsy, and I like them a lot. They work with a bun just fine, although they don't actually cover the bun so they're not as protective as a scarf. Very comfortable and great fabrics. :)

Lissandria
November 14th, 2011, 04:04 PM
^^ Could you please post a link? They sound lovely.

jacqueline101
November 14th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I wear my bun cover everyday without fail. I wore a pony tail before then. My hair wasn't long enough to wear in a bun or braid at that time. I think my hair is doing great since I've made changes to my lifestyle thanks to the people here at this site.

Metallia
November 14th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I don't know that I could do every day (I'm still working on just wearing it up more), but your post plus today's ridiculous wind has made me think more about this topic. Maybe I should at least keep a scarf in my bag in case it looks iffy out there...

owlathena
November 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I've been tucking my braid/pony into my scarf/coat/sweater when I go outside. Its been really cold and windy lately. I don't know about covering my hair EVERY time I go outside, but I'll definitely make an effort to do it more often!

longcurlygirl<3
November 14th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I just bought two cute hats for winter ^-^ so I will try

Madora
November 14th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I almost always wear a wool scarf outside and a lighter scarf in the summertime.

Not only do you protect your hair, but you trap the heat as well.

Kelikea
November 14th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I was thinking of something like a silk headscarf, but didn't really know where to look. Something you could wear as a headband/wrap and maybe braid into your hair?

darklyndsea
November 14th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I was thinking of something like a silk headscarf, but didn't really know where to look. Something you could wear as a headband/wrap and maybe braid into your hair?
I can find them in the accessories sections of department stores, though it usually takes some digging to find anything that's both silk and pretty.

PlainLight
November 14th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I wear a lightweight cloth veil (it's white, which I notice really helps keep my dark hair cool in the sun) but it really only covers from the crown of my head back. I never have figured out how to wear a hat with a big bun on the back of my head! I don't like snoods and a bonnet just looks silly to me. In the winter I wear a big square wool scarf and tie it under my chin. A pretty lightweight scarf for summer would be nice!

Avital88
November 15th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Personally, I'm trying to avoid looking religious while doing this challenge, although that's certainly one way of doing it. But, like Lissandria said: using scarves, hats, bandanas, etc. to protect your hair.

hmm ok. for some reason i already look religious with a head band,, here people use all kind of things to cover up, incl hats and bandana's..i like the idea though..must be better fr the hair

evb
November 15th, 2011, 07:24 AM
okay I hesitated to do this yesterday but since the religious look has come up.... I both love and dislike snoods. There are the snood we see today which is like a bag hanging from a headband or something usually in a solid fabric although some SCA vendors do beautiful beaded ones and I don't like those. I do however like the old fashioned ones that look like a much smaller bag at nape of neck. I guess the bag is attached to a headband but not connected to entire headband bit.

This: http://home.inreach.com/marthac/snood2.html vs
This: http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/Headcoverings_Snoods.html

I think i just can't get over the fact that snoods used to be your basic hairnet and well I associate that with food service ... which is probably why the fabric ones, oft used for religious purposes, are more easily findable when you search for snood. Wiki has some lovely pictures of the netted, not icky food service, historical snood here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snood_(headgear)

And I Know I shouldn't bring up food service or religion in a questioning sort of way. With the netted ones it is cheap and expendable instead of the beautiful ones shown on wiki and with religion they are lovely scarf or fabric looking hair coverings however it does become tricky to avoid either association when it comes to snoods. If somebody has some wonderful links to snoods ala the 19th century painting or the crochet version {I knit and I haven't seen a knit version} I would hop onto the snood bandwagon in a heartbeat. The religious ones are lovely but I don't want people making assumptions :(

LadyLongLocks
November 15th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I am going to try and protect my hair better this winter for sure. I already wear it up everyday to protect it. I found this wonderful lady on youtube who does some great tutorials for wrapping your head with scarves.

:heartbeatchannel=>The Style Underground (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheStyleUnderground#p/u/17/ARfjrDmDuIo) :heartbeat

einna
November 15th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to cover your hair with something to protect it from the sun, wind, and weather in general, every time you go outside.

Haha, I love that statement! I am in.
I live in Norway, and we are just entering another Cold winter. I rarely leave the house without a hat, but I can get better at protecting the ends that usually "stick out" of the hats.

papera
November 15th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I love the "head scarf"/ covering idea because I really like this look, but unfortunately it doesn't suit me, I look like a cancer patient :(
(I tried various styles, but it just doesn't look nice ... *sigh*)

pretty wings
November 15th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'm in! I will be cover my wear with hats, scarves, and wigs for the next few months to combat the dryness that comes with winter.

Helix
November 15th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I've been doing this since late summer/early fall so I might as well join. I've been wearing a wig most days which I take off once I'm home and care for as usual. It's just too easy so I'll just stick with this for a while. Will probably take a break from it in December when I do my length check. I love scarves too, so that may be something else I'll try.

darklyndsea
November 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Day 1: success! (6/6)